Report: "Tyrod unwilling to take less to remain with bills"

Fair, but the front office(Whaley) didn't do him any favors with the receiving options available to him.

And what other better options are you foreclosing? You lost me there. You can keep Tyrod and draft one.... no FA QB is a better option.

I think it is simple. Keep him until you have someone better.

My preference would be to keep him and draft a successor sooner rather than later. Would that be a healthy situation for TT or the team? I'm not sure---I don't think so.

The one consideration that many people are reluctant to acknowledge is just maybe the front office doesn't think much of TT. His performance last year did not demonstrate a progression. That had to be very disappointing to the team. Regardless of anyone't feeling toward TT, pro or con, it is apparent that he is not a conventional franchise qb. He throws a beautiful long ball but his short and medium range passes are inconsistent. There are other issues relating to reads and throwing to spots (anticipatory passes) instead of to the receiver.

The crux of the issue that the organization has to decide on relates to what are the ultimate goals of this franchise and can he take us there. It goes beyond the next two years of his contract. It comes down to what is the most he can give us. If your ultimate goal is to be a fringe playoff team then the answer is very easy: Keep him. If you set your goals much higher then the decision is obvious: Let's move on.

There are people on both sides of this issue and each side has merit. It is not a simple issue and it is a tough call.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT re-sign him. Take that money give it to Romo. When Tony gets here, all of our troubles will go away. He can see the middle of the field and he will hit Walter Powell in STRIDE. Tony will also fill the gap at strong safety. We can pay Tony a little more to help us install a 4-3 defense and keep Kyle Williams from retiring. It's a steal when you do the math.

We need guys that can maximize WALTER POWELL'S talent

That part of it is different, I agree.

What is the same is that Marrone thought he was more in demand than what reality proved. He thought it was imminent that he'd be hired as a HC elsewhere.

TT thinks it's imminent that he'll be signed on as an undisputed starter elsewhere.

I didn't see it with Marrone; and I don't see it with Taylor.

He will be. Here are the teams that will or might have new starting QBs:

• Cleveland
  • Jets
  • Bills (or it will be Tyrod)
  • Bears
  • SF
  • Houston
  • Denver
  • Jacksonville
  • KC
  • Washington
  • Arizona

I think that some are likely that it will be 5 or 6 teams. He is without question, one of the 5 or 6 best options. He knows that, his agents know that and the Bills know that. That has nothing to do with whether or not the Bills should keep him but he will be somewhere as the unquestioned starter in 2017.

He isn't taking less money to stay. The Bills and Tyrod both know that he can get $30M plus guaranteed on the open market. This isn't a situation where the Bills have been so good to him that he owes them one. They signed him for dirt cheap, put him on a prove-it deal in 2016 and the market says that he is absolutely a $15M + AAV QB. If the Bills choose to restructure, that may be an option but a pay cut isn't.

Yeah like I said a month ago.......he will know his market LONG before free agency.

His agent has been gauging interest.....there is NOTHING to prevent his agent and a GM from having a private conversation about TT............. and the feedback was probably that there are plenty of teams out there who will take a very good bridge QB for that kind of money in free agency.

I am a believer in that Parcells line of building an organization.......beside his own success the branch managers of his HC tree have won 8 of the last 16 SB's........and he was a believer in bridge QB's..........Parcells expected to get Peyton Manning when he took over the NYJ but it wasn't in the cards so he took Vinnie Testaverde and Vinnie got him to an AFC Championship with a previously MORIBUND NY Jets franchise........and later Bledsoe fit into a system for him in Dallas that incubated Tony Romo.

For long term success you need to find a franchise QB but the sink or swim with a young QB approach is a "bridge HC" move if there ever was one.

I've acknowledged that maybe the front office doesn't think much of him. But Id have a hard time trusting a front office that has demonstrated a lot of incompetence to get it right if they release Tyrod.

I'll predict they are pretty much guaranteeing the next two seasons being washes if they release Tyrod and go with a rookie or McCown/Hoyer type.

If they get rid of Taylor it is clearly a move to secure their paychecks for 2 more years.. They release Taylor and bring in a new guy or a Romo type and they buy themselves 2 years. You have several in the front office IMO that are making all their decisions based upon how long it will keep them employed.

We need guys that can maximize WALTER POWELL'S talent

He will be. Here are the teams that will or might have new starting QBs:

• Cleveland
  • Jets
  • Bills (or it will be Tyrod)
  • Bears
  • SF
  • Houston
  • Denver
  • Jacksonville
  • KC
  • Washington
  • Arizona

I think that some are likely that it will be 5 or 6 teams. He is without question, one of the 5 or 6 best options. He knows that, his agents know that and the Bills know that. That has nothing to do with whether or not the Bills should keep him but he will be somewhere as the unquestioned starter in 2017.

I respect your opinion. I simply disagree.

As he shouldn't. It's a great deal and he can easily get more on the open market. I don't blame him at all.

And Bills fans who simply think drafting one in the first will solve all the problems.

It would be so typical Bills if they release him and the first rounder they replace him with never reaches TTs ability in the NFL.

I tried to tell everyone who thought the Bills had Taylor over a barrel that it wasn't the case. Taylor has a big fat payday waiting in free agency and zero reason to cut the Bills any slack. You wouldn't listen to me.

There is a very narrow window - three days - to pull that off. And it would require multiple suitors to pull off.

Except the Bills are under no obligation until March 12. If he's traded before then, the Bills owe him nothing. We won't have a QB either. :doh:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mXUvHzCGrkU&feature=onebox

Hahahah hahahaha. What a stud !

He should give half his paycheck to Shady for carrying him all year.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Some just don't get it.

Tyrod is going to get paid by someone. WHY would he take less $$ to stay here? It makes no sense for the player.

He currently holds all the cards, really. Either the team keeps him and pays him the contract they agreed to or he walks, chooses his next spot, and gets paid easily the same $$ in a QB needy league.

I respect your opinion. I simply disagree.

I guess that begs the question then, who are the starting QBs in SF, Chicago, Denver, Buffalo, Jets, Cleveland, Houston? There are potentially 4 guys in the draft that have a chance. Some wont be ready opening day. Romo is a possibility for Houston and Denver but he isn't going to a rebuild. TT is inarguably the top FA other than Romo. I know that you don't like him as a player but his 47 TDs and 12 INTs in 29 starts is enough for a team to commit to him over Bryce Petty. There isn't really a situation outside of injury where he won't be starting opening day and on a contract paying him $15M +.

Some just don't get it.

Tyrod is going to get paid by someone. WHY would he take less $$ to stay here? It makes no sense for the player.

He currently holds all the cards, really. Either the team keeps him and pays him the contract they agreed to or he walks, chooses his next spot, and gets paid easily the same $$ in a QB needy league.

did anyone say they thought he would take less?

You sure don't see the Pats, Green bay, Steelers making stupid moves like this & once every 10 years wouldn't be bad but like i referenced earlier if you go back further you can come up with a lot more contracts the Bills had to pay for after these folks were gone .

Bills make stupid moves? Surely you jest.

Sadly, I don't think Tyrod is taking us to the playoffs unless a bunch of other QBs in the AFC get hurt or something next year. I like him as a football player and what we know of him as a person, he can be exciting at times, but he's just too limited. I don't know who they will replace him with or if that QB will have immediate success or if it will take a few years, but I just don't see it with TT. :( I really, really wanted him to be the guy, too.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sadly, I don't think Tyrod is taking us to the playoffs unless a bunch of other QBs in the AFC get hurt or something next year. I like him as a football player and what we know of him as a person, he can be exciting at times, but he's just too limited. I don't know who they will replace him with or if that QB will have immediate success or if it will take a few years, but I just don't see it with TT. :( I really, really wanted him to be the guy, too.

The problem with takes like this is that they are totally subjective......just a gut feeling that is held as fact.

Did anyone see Tannehill and Matt Moore taking the Fish to the playoffs this year?

As bad as the QB'ing was in Houston they made the playoffs.

Bills fans tend to be defeatist by nature but the reality is that you can BUILD on 8-8 in the NFL.

Most people can't see that. Bravo. Yes, committing 30 million to Tyrod Taylor does change the options you have at QB. The Bills themselves said that they would pick up the option if TT was in their LONG TERM PLANS. So if we pick up TT then you are selling us on paying a QB 30 million who can't hit receivers in stride, who can only throw 2 main routes, and depends on running to get first downs.

You also will then not pick a QB in the first 3 rounds for at least 2 years. That would be horrible just to sell fans on false hope who still think this group is a playoff team.

This is simply not true. More importantly, it's time this stupid f****** franchise develops its own long term solution at QB instead of always having grass is greener syndrome. They unfortunately seem to listen to fans like you who don't know what they're talking about.

Oh screw it! Let the contract kick in and keep him here. There's no better options for the 2017 season right now, and we can win with him. If this new staff is better than the last one, they'll get more out of him, and with an improved defense, we're going to the playoffs.

This is simply not true. More importantly, it's time this stupid f****** franchise develops its own long term solution at QB instead of always having grass is greener syndrome. They unfortunately seem to listen to fans like you who don't know what they're talking about.

Tyrod can hit a receiver in stride on a GO ROUTE. Happy? He can't do it on bread and butter plays for most QB's such as a slant. Take a look at the Bills Run After Catch numbers. Terrible and that's due to a QB not throwing with anticipation.

And if you think Tyrod is a long term solution at QB I am afraid you might want to look in the mirror while saying others don't know what they are talking about.

Edited by jeffismagic

I think the only reason the Bills get rid of TT is to get Romo. Then they will draft a QB either this year or next and hope for a Farve/Rodgers type situation. Barring that, they keep TT, and can still pickup a QB (we need a backup anyway) later in the draft and next year as well (earlier if TT shows zero improvement next season).

I agree, Taylor is a good bridge if the price is fair with incentives

Marrone's problem was he totally misread the how much teams would hold it against him that he quit. If the Bills had fired him, IMO he'd likely have got hired by another team much faster.

First of all, we don't know if Marrone thought he was a hot commodity. In fact, he says he did NOT expect to get another HC job right away and that's not why he left.

Second of all, it's entirely different. Marrone had the opportunity to walk out of a contract and still get paid. Marrone had to act and by his actions made it clear he didn't want to be in Buffalo. Taylor wants to stay and - in any case - has no choice. This time it's the team, not the player, who has to choose.

The two situations are not analogous.