Would You Take a Flyer on Victor Cruz?

H2o

Yes I would, but he would not be one of my early targets or choices. I do think Cruz showed he can still contribute and he is coming off a year where he needed managed to stay healthy. But we have a stable of WR's who struggle with injuries, so again he is not ideal from a reliability stand point.

Personally, my top targets at WR this offseason would be Garcon or DeSean in terms of guys who can be impact players and in that first tier of guys on the market. The 2 older Vets that can still be valuable and come a bit cheaper that I like are Britt or Boldin. And the 2 younger guys I like to take a chance on at a cheaper price tag are Cordelle and Floyd.

Cruz would be one of those ones that I wouldn't consider unless a lot of the more reliable options were gone, but I wouldnt be upset if we took a flyer on him as I think when healthy he is still better than Woods.

Agree. With Desean and Leseans team history I can easily see DJax in a Bills uniform. Its the most likely FA WR signing and he can replace Bob Woods.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your evaluation of the talent vs. price tag. We don't know for sure what the market will be for Woods...

If it is $8, I wouldn't be buying either. I would still prefer a guy that is better at blocking than dancing.

Hopefully for Robert's sake, the trainers on his new team can properly fit him with cleats that don't immediately prompt inexplicable slips and falls.

Spotrac has been pretty accurate as they measure everything based on market value.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/robert-woods-12322/market-value/

True, the Chargers could use the WR help for sure

What? The Chargers had a youngster, Tyrell Williams, have a great season. They also had Travis Benjamin and Darnell Inman. Plus they have Keenan Allen and Stevie Johnson coming back from injuries. I don't think they need to pay for a free agent wide receiver.

If Woods really wants to come back to California, the Niners have the biggest need for wide receivers. Of course, it's unknown who their QB will be.

Yes, if it was a relatively cheap deal and if he's healthy.

I really think we have needed a seasoned vet WR on this team for awhile who can lead and be a mentor, and still play. Not sure if he's that guy but he could replace Woods and then we still draft one relatively high.

I like Cruz, but I don't think they need a seasoned WR at all in the way that you are describing. The Bills just need Sammy to be healthy enough to play at his best level. Outside of that, I would rather keep Woods or draft a Williams/Davis. Bills should continue with keeping or adding young talent.

Now the caveat, for me, is if they let Tyrod walk and they go with a rookie QB. In that case, yeah, a Vet like Cruz could be very helpful.

Woods gets picked up by Atlanta, proceeds to amass 1200 receiving yards and 10 TD's, and TSW calls for Whaley's head for not paying him.

Atlanta isn't going to invest that money on a third option.

If Atl wins the Super Bowl they will have to pay some of their own guys. Woods could put up those numbers with the Chargers.

As for Cruz, I don't think he is what the Bills are looking for.

When Woods signs elsewhere, that almost wipes out the entire 2013 draft with the exception of Marquise Goodwin and Shady.

Manuel - Bust

Woods - Bills did not get good value

Kiko - Shady Trade - Stupid move by CK. DW's gets credit for this one.

Duke Williams

Jonathan Meeks

Dustin Hopkins

Chris Gragg

So much for build through the 2013 draft. At least Watkins and Kouandjio are left from the 2014 class.

Not much left from the 2015 class either.

Darby

Miller

O'Leary.

We must be a contender if our draft picks can't stick. - - Not.

What about PB in 2015? Also Seantrel was drafted in 2015 Fwiw.

• 2 weeks later...

I might. If he is released he is not accounted for when the NFL gives out compensatory draft picks. He has played WR at a very high level. It could potentially be a low risk high upside acquisition. It all depends on the price tag.

Yup, as always.

My sense is someone overvalues/overpays him. He was a good WR pre-injury but I think he gets elevated beyond his talent for playing in NY, salsa dancing, and being on a championship team. He was very productive 2011 but after that his performance tailed off a bit (as did Hakeem Nicks) and he put up Stevie Johnson-like stats for two years, and then got hurt.

As I type that out, I become convinced the price tag would have to be pretty low.