Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

Tyrod is fine for the next 2 years while a QB we draft either this year or next gets ready. What other options are there? I'm sure everyone can agree the QB we need to win the super bowl isn't on this roster so keep drafting one in the meantime

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod is fine for the next 2 years while a QB we draft either this year or next gets ready. What other options are there? I'm sure everyone can agree the QB we need to win the super bowl isn't on this roster so keep drafting one in the meantime

I'm all in favor of replacing TT. 100%. Just as soon as we find someone better.

Until then, he's the starter.

That should be a given until they know they can replace him with someone better.

The argument against keeping TT is that he puts us out of the "good QB prospect" range. Don't just take it from me though.

Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley said Wednesday that the Bills are "almost in quarterback purgatory" because they do not have a franchise quarterback and are unlikely to pick near the top of the draft in coming years.

"We're good enough that we're not going to have the first or second [overall] pick," Whaley told WGR 550 on Wednesday. "We hope we're not in that position. Hopefully now we're drafting in the teens and the 20s and the 30s. So you're not going to get those college guys that are coming out.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13382343/buffalo-bills-almost-quarterback-purgatory-gm-doug-whaley-says

:doh:

I love what this is turning into...I see two distinct agendas waiting to be unleashed by the usual suspects:

Keep Tyrod -- dumb move, keeps the team mired in mediocrity behind a limited QB

Release Tyrod -- dumb move, no viable QB on the roster, total rebuild coming

Enjoy!

I'm totally fine with retaining Tyrod and looking to draft a QB to develop alongside Cardale.

This. I'm sorry but fans are completely delusional to think the Bills are better off going into 2017 without a BETTER replacement in house.

I don't care about saving Terry Pegula money. Work on a restructured contract for TT that benefits the team and still keeps Tyrod and his agent happy. Draft a new QB and continue to develop Cardale. Maybe they will get lucky and one of them can push Tyrod down the road.

If it was all up to Whaley, I think he'd move on from TT, but I don't think it is. I'm think they should keep TT and draft another QB. If Watson is there at 10 ( I doubt he will) they have to take him. Bet they could trade TT if that happened.

He ultimately does as he has control of the 53 man roster, but he'd be foolish not to seriously consider the input of his HC and OC in any decision that's made.

I love what this is turning into...I see two distinct agendas waiting to be unleashed by the usual suspects:

Keep Tyrod -- dumb move, keeps the team mired in mediocrity behind a limited QB

Release Tyrod -- dumb move, no viable QB on the roster, total rebuild coming

Enjoy!

I'm the opposite. I'm kind of okay with either. I think my gut says release my head says keep.... but the one thing that will annoy the hell out of me is the Bills standing pat with Tyrod and not taking shots if guys fall to them in the draft. That was what we did with Fitz and when the point came when we decided to pull the plug we had nothing at QB at all. They have keep taking shots in the draft.

Cardale Jones has the arm and size of a franchise NFL QB and he also led his team to the national college championship. So no one here knows if he can or can't be the Bill's QB to win their first Superbowl.

If it's not about money then of course, keep Tyrod - but he hasn't yet played to the level of money that we will be paying him. That's the big risk here. If Dennison thinks he can take him to the next level of being able to scare teams with his arm? I'll be there to root him on as much as anybody....if he doesn't get better? then we we're paying for a whole lot of average qb play (with some nice runs here and there).

I'm the opposite. I'm kind of okay with either. I think my gut says release my head says keep.... but the one thing that will annoy the hell out of me is the Bills standing pat with Tyrod and not taking shots if guys fall to them in the draft. That was what we did with Fitz and when the point came when we decided to pull the plug we had nothing at QB at all. They have keep taking shots in the draft.

Pretty much in agreement with this except both my gut and head say keep.

I don't like the % of the cap we'll have to pay him but if you look at other QBs around the league.....that is what he is going to get paid by somebody.

What eight QB-needy teams should do
Could Tony Romo turn the Texans into Super Bowl contenders? Should the Browns roll the dice on Mitch Trubisky? Gil Brandt provides a path forward for eight QB-needy teams.

7) Buffalo Bills

2016 starters: Tyrod Taylor (15 games), EJ Manuel (1).

Passing offense ranked: 30th.

Whether the team agrees with me is another matter, of course, but I happen to think the Bills already have their quarterback, which is why they fall so low on this list. I know the Bills have a new coach in Sean McDermott, so their direction might not be defined. But if I were them, I'd exercise the option on the rest of the contract extension Taylor signed in August. Yes, that would mean paying him $27.5 million for 2017, but exercising the option saves them a serious chunk of salary-cap space next season, and that I can live with. I also happen to think he's worth it. I like everything about him. A down 2016 notwithstanding, Taylor's a player who can help Buffalo win, provided he and his receivers are fully healthy, and I think the Bills will have a hard time finding someone better. There's an interesting wrinkle in light of the surgery he recently underwent: If he can't pass a physical in time and the option isn't exercised, the team will be on the hook for the full $27.5 million in 2017 whether they keep him on the roster or cut him loose.

In a well-functioning organization the GM would not make a decision regarding something as important as the starting QB without thorough discussion with the HC (and ownership). I'm not saying the Bills are such an organization, but to presume this is Whaley's decision in a vacuum is extremely naive.

If true, it signals that McDermott and his staff don't believe the Bills are in need of a full rebuild in 2017.

They're not in need of a rebuild. Reload yes, rebuild no.

7) Buffalo Bills

Whether the team agrees with me is another matter, of course, but I happen to think the Bills already have their quarterback, which is why they fall so low on this list. I know the Bills have a new coach in Sean McDermott, so their direction might not be defined. But if I were them, I'd exercise the option on the rest of the contract extension Taylor signed in August. Yes, that would mean paying him $27.5 million for 2017, but exercising the option saves them a serious chunk of salary-cap space next season, and that I can live with. I also happen to think he's worth it. I like everything about him. A down 2016 notwithstanding, Taylor's a player who can help Buffalo win, provided he and his receivers are fully healthy, and I think the Bills will have a hard time finding someone better. There's an interesting wrinkle in light of the surgery he recently underwent: If he can't pass a physical in time and the option isn't exercised, the team will be on the hook for the full $27.5 million in 2017 whether they keep him on the roster or cut him loose.

^^^^ Like it or not, he's right.

JP has thrown that ball.

Was JP ever the QB for a Top 10 DVOA offense during his career, much less two out of two seasons?

If it's not about money then of course, keep Tyrod - but he hasn't yet played to the level of money that we will be paying him.

Based on what criteria has Tyrod not played to the level of being paid the 20th highest salary among NFL QB's?

7) Buffalo Bills

So says Gil Brandt. Some say Gil's over the hill but this guy was the vice president of player personnel in Dallas for nearly 30 years. Gil knows more about football than any of us, maybe more than any ten of us.

This doesn't mean Gil's right. Even the experts are often wrong about the future of QBs. Bill Walsh was famously a fan of Trent Edwards. To provide an opposite example, how many experts predicted Matt Ryan's success this year?

But it does mean that the idea of keeping Tyrod is a credible one and that keeping Tyrod won't prove that Whaley is a clueless idiot as some have said.

Was JP ever the QB for a Top 10 DVOA offense during his career, much less two out of two seasons?

Based on what criteria has Tyrod not played to the level of being paid the 20th highest salary among NFL QB's?

I'm sure there were just as many mental gymnastics and obscure stats to defend JP in his day.

Just an awful excuse by Whaley. That's all.

How so?

Terrible news. Whaley strikes again putting his job security ahead of the team.

Wouldnt you think Whaley drafting a QB and handing him the keys gives him more security? New coach, New QB so you fire the GM a year later? No.

Keeping Taylor does not give Whaley job security, its the exact opposite. If Taylor and the Bills fail to improve next year Whaley will not have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Wouldnt you think Whaley drafting a QB and handing him the keys gives him more security? New coach, New QB so you fire the GM a year later? No.

Keeping Taylor does not give Whaley job security, its the exact opposite. If Taylor and the Bills fail to improve next year Whaley will not have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB.

Exactly correct. The level of illogical on this board is at an all time high!

7) Buffalo Bills

The NFL world needs to stop ranking players and teams by yards. Its the most irrelevant stat there is.

No. I think Whaley could be gone with a 6-10 record.

I think this post perfectly summarizes you as a poster. It's like you're an algorithm that seeks the least popular opinion and then won't stop pounding on the table for that. You are now advocating we sign a slower, shorter, less accurate drug addict rather than give our current middle of the pack quarterback a shot in an offense that actually plays to his strengths.

If you think you can find a more accurate drug addict, Mr. Wonderful, then GO AHEAD AND TRY IT!!

Nope. But that's where you have the best chance.

Guys like Dak aren't in every draft.

Is Dak, "Dak," without the best O-line in football?

If you think you can find a more accurate drug addict, Mr. Wonderful, then GO AHEAD AND TRY IT!!

Is Dak, "Dak," without the best O-line in football?

Does he play as good as he did this season? Probably not. Would he still be the most promising rookie out of 2016? Probably.

Remember that best O-line in football didn't make guys like Cassel, Weeden and Kellen Moore look like anything but bad QB's last season.

First two seasons as a starter he's been in the category of "average NFL starting QB." If that's what you consider to be a "bum" then okey dokey.

The fact remains that the smart move is to keep your average starter until you have a better option on your roster. Not before. Otherwise you're just being reckless like they were reckless in 2013 after releasing Fitzpatrick then choosing a 4th round QB talent in the 1st round because they were so desperate for a QB because they didn't have one that wasn't a tap on the head away from being finished.

Only this time it would be worse because they didn't learn from their mistake of four years ago.

Of course but it Doesn't excuse Whaleys lack of trying.

Remember, we went into a season with EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, and Jeff Tuel at QB.

100% agree. We should've been taking QB's in the first since 2014. Then we wouldn't be in this trainwreck.

Edited by FireChan

Just remember that you're responding to someone who wants the Bills to sign Johnny Manziel.

responding to thim is all he wants. It would be nice if he'd just admit he's lonely instead of the annoying schtick he does for attention