Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

Would any Bills fan be afraid of the Bills facing Taylor as an opponent? The answer's no, hence the reason why the Bills are ready to move on. Having a steady, do no harm QB is not a reason to keep a guy. They must keep looking for their franchise QB like Oakland found in Derek Carr.

I don't agree with this. No one wants to face a wild card. It's like the team that presses in basketball. It is tough to prepare for someone that is so unorthodox. You don't game plan for improvisation. Whether or not they think that he is their answer is different than "do you want to prepare for chaos?"

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Ben through 2 years:

5,219 total yards, 5006 passing yards, 38 total tds, 34 passing tds, 20 ints, 98.4 rating, 64.55 completion %

Tyrod through 2 years starting:

7206 total yards, 6058 passing yards, 47 total tds, 37 passing tds, 12 ints, 94.5 rating, 62.7 comp %

Bills fans have no idea what it is to watch a young qb grow. There will be ups and downs but when a guy compares favorably with someone like Big Ben or Russell Wilson through their first 2 years they should be worth holding onto. Seriously when was the last qb the Bills developed? Jim Kelly who started professionally for 2 years before coming to the Bills? I guess I can give that one. So 30 years ago Bills fans watched a qb grow. It's not all sunshine and roses while someone learns to play the position and there is a lot more good than bad with Tyrod. I really hope this isn't true.

Tyrod has four years in the league before his first two years.

Big Ben through 2 years:

5,219 total yards, 5006 passing yards, 38 total tds, 34 passing tds, 20 ints, 98.4 rating, 64.55 completion %

7206 total yards, 6058 passing yards, 47 total tds, 37 passing tds, 12 ints, 94.5 rating, 62.7 comp %

Bills fans have no idea what it is to watch a young qb grow. There will be ups and downs but when a guy compares favorably with someone like Big Ben or Russell Wilson through their first 2 years they should be worth holding onto. Seriously when was the last qb the Bills developed? Jim Kelly who started professionally for 2 years before coming to the Bills? I guess I can give that one. So 30 years ago Bills fans watched a qb grow. It's not all sunshine and roses while someone learns to play the position and there is a lot more good than bad with Tyrod. I really hope this isn't true.

But, But...Jim Kelly says Tyrod is not the guy. Doesn't Jim know everything??

Would any Bills fan be afraid of the Bills facing Taylor as an opponent? The answer's no, hence the reason why the Bills are ready to move on. Having a steady, do no harm QB is not a reason to keep a guy. They must keep looking for their franchise QB like Oakland found in Derek Carr.

This x a million. No reason to waste time and money on a mediocre at best option

Funny, the talk in DC this morning is if the Skins are stupid enough to get rid of Cousins, they should run out immediately and Get Tyrod.

Makes sense. All the 757 guys end up in DC eventually

It's pretty simple IMO. You have 2 options:

1) Keep TT and the offense and try to fix the defense. A functioning defense and the Bills are certainly playing this weekend.

2) Hit the reset button and tear it down. Reset the table, let the old guys walk, clear your bad contracts, play the young guys and try to get Darnold.

Either move forward and fight for a playoff spot or bottom out. Downgrading the QB position this year and expecting improvement isn't an option. That's flat stupid. If you like one of the top guys in this draft go ahead at 10 but I'd prefer to wait for the better guys in 2018.

Makes no sense for Whaley to say "were close" and then move on from Tyrod unless he's very confident they can identify and acquire an upgrade at QB.

Makes no sense for Whaley to say "were close" and then move on from Tyrod unless he's very confident they can identify and acquire an upgrade at QB.

or in speaking to some of the HC candidates they've told him they don't want to go with Tyrod. Yet I can't imagine Lynn saying that which tells me Lynn might be gone too.

You can not keep TT with the deal that is on the table. You rip that one up you let him test FA and if there is still interest you offer him a similar deal that is instead tied to incentives instead of guarantees

TT is a good stop gap but there are better options

Or maybe he does. Maybe he figures let the unpopular current GM take the heat of a 3-13 season.

After all, everyone knows this is all on Whaley now. Notice they even stressed how Russ 9Team President) has nothing to do with it? When do you ever see or hear that?

So if the team goes 3-13 or 4-12 everyone will blame Whaley, and Pegula can fire him and bring in all new people and the fans will be excited. He'll also have a top 3 pick. Meanwhile nobody is angry at Russ.

Pegula knows exactly what he is doing.

Pegula can fire Whaley right here and now. He has no need for public approval. Many people are even on board with a "tank"

The fly in the ointment to this theory is the Bills have a trade in mind like Rivers or something. That would change everything.

This is the only qb route that will have me excited for the start of next year barring a TT return. A rookie is going to have a huge learning curve and I doubt they would perform as well as Tyrod this year.

These stats speak volumes

I agree but most aren't listening

Whaley even said flat out in his interview that if the Bills were still in the playoff hunt, Tyrod would have started the last game.

I missed that but it is a relief to hear. Do you know where I could find that quote?

Funny, the talk in DC this morning is if the Skins are stupid enough to get rid of Cousins, they should run out immediately and Get Tyrod.

Every QB needy team is hoping he gets cut. Tyrod will immediately be the #1 QB available if cut. Seriously go look at that list. Its a who's who of guys you don't want your team banking their season on.

Bills aware of, involved in Tyrod Taylor's decision to have surgery

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18418657/buffalo-bills-involved-decision-tyrod-taylor-core-muscle-surgery

So Joe B's story yesterday about the Bills cryptic tweet was much ado about nothing? Color me surprised. :rolleyes:

Big Ben through 2 years:

No offense but that's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Why not compare him to Rodgers who sat for 4 years? Or does that not help your argument?

It's pretty simple IMO. You have 2 options:

1) Keep TT and the offense and try to fix the defense. A functioning defense and the Bills are certainly playing this weekend.

2) Hit the reset button and tear it down. Reset the table, let the old guys walk, clear your bad contracts, play the young guys and try to get Darnold.

Either move forward and fight for a playoff spot or bottom out. Downgrading the QB position this year and expecting improvement isn't an option. That's flat stupid. If you like one of the top guys in this draft go ahead at 10 but I'd prefer to wait for the better guys in 2018.

Hitting the reset button on a team hovering around .500 would be a pretty bold move.

While I share the frustrations of the anti-TT crowd, I lean toward #1.

Romo is the only available upgrade for 2017 IMO. That is IF he plays. He will cost you at worst a 2nd and as much money as you are paying TT. TT and a 2nd is better than Romo at this point IMO. Maybe long-term one of these rookies will be but I don't think this year? If you get rid of TT in 2017 the offense will be worse. If it is necessary to take 2 steps forward long-term I am good with it.

That's why this whole thing doesn't make sense in the middle of a coaching search.

Turning the clock back two years when the team was in a similar predicament, it was clear they had the QB candidates lined up as Rex was ushered in. I imagine that has to be the case now. As I said before, no man in his right mind is stepping into this job faced with Cardale Jones as the QB. The draft won't be an option either, because there isn't a good option available at #10.

No, he doesn't.

Obviously you guys don't get it. For as terrible as EJ is, who I don't like one bit, and I think Tyrod is light years better, the Bills averaged 22.3 ppg for EJ when he started 10 games as a true rookie, without the benefit of a historical rushing game, to Tyrods Bills avg this year of 25.9 ppg. That's all i'm comparing, nothing else.

That comparison is because at nauseam all the CoT have said, it will be impossible to find a QB that could average the same amount of points per game. Not going to be hard to replace the QB as EJ of all people put up similar ppg.

FWIW EJs and Bills scored points in 2013 were 21L, 24W, 20L, 23W, 24L, 10L, 37W, 31L, 6L, 27W. Looks awful similar to Tyrod doesn't it.

Romo is the only available upgrade for 2017 IMO. That is IF he plays. He will cost you at worst a 2nd and as much money as you are paying TT. TT and a 2nd is better than Romo at this point IMO. Maybe long-term one of these rookies will be but I don't think this year? If you get rid of TT in 2017 the offense will be worse. If it is necessary to take 2 steps forward long-term I am good with it.

Romo is significantly better than TT. But he's old and getting fragile, too. Even that option has its shortcomings.