SVP of Communications Scott Berchtold should be accountable

HailMary

The Bills knew it was going to be a crap fest. They sent Whaley out there to get it over with and probably did t care about the reaction til they realized it was a national story for a minute so the owners had to try and smooth things out. SB should have known that would happen if they dogged the PC, he should be fired for that alone.

Actually, as professionals the Buffalo media were doing their job trying to "fill in the story" and asked fair objective questions.

Fair objective questions questioning a reporting structure that was publicized 2 years ago, making statements "the decision was made a month ago" instead of asking a question, and asking things like "just what do you do, exactly?"

I thought it was a pretty poor performance on both sides, myself, with a few bright spots from some good reporters.

Do you work for the Bills? You posted the exact same comment on another post...hmmmmmm.

Do you work for the local media, since you felt that "pack of wolves dressed as reporters" was "fair and objective"? hmmmmmm.

What's your POV on Terry Pegula's statement on Rex firing and timing of it then?

Are you referring to AP's (Wawrow's) interview with Mr Pegula?

There doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about Terry Pegula's press release and its timing Tuesday a week ago. Am I missing something about that initial statement and its timing?

He seems horribly reactive. That came across in the events of the last couple of weeks. He should have been right there when they fired Rex saying "Terry, we cannot just throw Anthony Lynn out there on his own on Wednesday because they are not going to ask him about the Jets they are going to ask him questions about Rex's firing and Tyrod that he is not equipped to answer. You need to get out there first and do a short Q&A to take the heat out of it and if you're not willing to then Doug or worse case scenario Russ needs to." That is basic, basic media strategy. To have not done that and then to have sent Doug out on Monday without a very clear narrative about how the Rex decision was arrived at and what the steps were is just so amateur.

I honestly have no idea what the guy does other than call an end to pressers after 15 minutes or so.

We get daily transcripts from the team after practice and post-game. The difference between what's said and what they tell people is said is staggering.

They leave whole paragraphs out if it's not something they particularly agree with. Like on Monday, no mention of Gilmore talking about not wanting the tag.

The thing to remember is that the Buffalo media is filled with hacks. A few are really good, but most are hacks. They are interested in grinding their ax, not reporting or finding out relevant information. That press conference was crazy - all these idiot "reporters" trying to trap whaley into sounding stupid rather than finding actual valuable information. To me it sounded like the reporters already had their narrative, and were just trying to find quotes to fill out their story. Unprofessional.

I don't agree with this statement at all. These journalists are asking the questions WE ALL ask when we listen to the Bills and they write stories that we would all write, if we had the talent to do so. I don't get this mistrust of the media - I've worked in media relations my entire career - and I can honestly say the thing that 95% of journalists are most interested in is the truth. They want to tell the truth. So when faced with such obvious and bare-faced lies as they were this week they ask aggressive and searching questions because thats what they are there to do.

I will say - given my professional background - I love this thread. Completely agree with the analysis that kicked it all off. From my time at the top of the UK government, in the North American tech sector and Canadian education sector there are a million ways I would have handled the media differently over the last 3 weeks for the Bills. However, we all need to recognize that Berchtold and his media relations team (below) won't always be the final decision-makers on how to handle this stuff. They will advise and present options for handling and the senior team will act on that advice or they won't.

Chris Jenkins Executive Director of Media Relations Chris Fanelli Coordinator of Media Relations Kevin Kearns Manager of Media Relations

One comment I would make, based on some LinkedIn snooping is this: this is a very young team with limited exposure and experience in dealing with the media outside of the Bills context. I'm sure these are three good guys and I expect that they are probably pretty good at what they do - but as we evaluate this team and every portion of it - I'd want to see the MR team infused with some talent with a broader deeper background. And with some license to shape the reporting they way that real media relations works in other places (making some assumptions about their role...)

We get daily transcripts from the team after practice and post-game. The difference between what's said and what they tell people is said is staggering.

They leave whole paragraphs out if it's not something they particularly agree with. Like on Monday, no mention of Gilmore talking about not wanting the tag.

That's shameful. If it's said - it's the job of the media relations team to pass on accurately what was said. Not leave it out. That's what generates mistrust between PR and Media.

Do you work for the Bills? You posted the exact same comment on another post...hmmmmmm.

LOL @ Tannins. Good call.

The Bills knew it was going to be a crap fest. They sent Whaley out there to get it over with and probably did t care about the reaction til they realized it was a national story for a minute so the owners had to try and smooth things out. SB should have known that would happen if they dogged the PC, he should be fired for that alone.

Oh, they definitely cared. Pegula reacted immediately and had the interview with the AP.

Oh, they definitely cared. Pegula reacted immediately and had the interview with the AP.

To clarify - I don't believe they cared about the local media reaction whatsoever. They did not anticipate that the conference would go so off the rails so as to be mentioned in the national conversation as having gone badly. Whaley tried to be cute with his evasive answers and wound up making himself look ridiculous.

This is an excellent thread because the more I think about how the press conferences themselves have become news, it reinforces the fact that Berchtold isn't doing his job well.

The media is not to blame for the sub-par Lynn and Whaley press conferences. The media can ask whatever questions it wants to, however many times, about any subject.

The Bills can't control all of that. However, they can put their employees in the best position to answer questions and that takes preparation and having the right people available to answer the questions, including the owner. You also don't let the employees twist in the wind, at the complete mercy of the press. It's appalling to me that this Berchtold guy was invisible at perhaps the two most important press conferences of the year.

They have failed miserably at that.

Public speaking is part of the job. If Whaley has problems doing it, get him the help he needs to do it better and give him some prepared remarks for crying out loud.

Edited by dpberr

I only disagree with the insinuation that the damage control interview by Pegula being set up by Berchtold was a bad thing. Whaley and Pegula pretty much conveyed the same things, but Whaley was ill-prepared and/or ill-equipped to deal with the media onslaught and Pegula didn't have to deal with it.

No issues with Pegula interview by Wawrow just the timing of it. Could have proved to be an effective strategy if it was released prior to Whaley taking the podium.

This is an excellent thread because the more I think about how the press conferences themselves have become news, it reinforces the fact that Berchtold isn't doing his job well.

The media is not to blame for the sub-par Lynn and Whaley press conferences. The media can ask whatever questions it wants to, however many times, about any subject.

The Bills can't control all of that. However, they can put their employees in the best position to answer questions and that takes preparation and having the right people available to answer the questions, including the owner. You also don't let the employees twist in the wind, at the complete mercy of the press. It's appalling to me that this Berchtold guy was invisible at perhaps the two most important press conferences of the year.

They have failed miserably at that.

Public speaking is part of the job. If Whaley has problems doing it, get him the help he needs to do it better and give him some prepared remarks for crying out loud.

Agreed.

Additionally, it's a relationship. That is, it is two-way. There has been criticism that the press is at fault for not developing better sources within the Bills organization. While that criticism may be fair or not, it is also true that the Bills organization would be better served to reach out and develop a better working relationship with its press corps. And to redirect a question from that PC to Berchtold this time: what is your job? This Whaley PC, for example, has more consequences than just ducking blame to the yokels. It's bigger. It's self-defeating. Other people in the NFL see that mess and it makes the Bills a very unattractive situation.

Let me start by saying Doug Whaley behind a podium on a good day with good news is terrible. Whaley has needed media training from Day 1. The recent media disasters and confusing messaging with Lynn and Whaley start with the mishandling by the Bills communication team and SVP Scott Berchtold should be held accountable. Any savvy experienced media relations pro would have identified the risks with both pressers and planned a strategy with prepared statements delivering succinct transparent messaging with clarity on Tyrod and Rex situations especially given Whaley's media experience. Whaley had the perfect opportunity to come clean on both situations and take charge. Well thought out scripted statements with honesty and clarity would have improved the Bills position and credibility. Instead they put Lynn in the line of fire and Whaley delivered a presser that was a national disaster raising red flags with any potential coach not to mention upcoming free agents. The presser was so bad the Bills had to go into "damage control" with an exclusive Pegula article by John Wawrow, all likely set up by Berchtold. Why didn't they set the record straight before the Whaley and Lynn pressers. While the damage is done more questions should be asked about the role of the Bills communication team and SVP Scott Berchtold in this mess.

I hear you and agree, tannins. However, you say, "Any savvy experienced media relations pro would have identified the risks with both pressers..." Truth is probably 80% of this board, with no experience, thought this was a bad idea.

You need truth to power, and in his position he should have gone to the owners and the GM and said, "guys, this is a bad idea, don't do it."

Does the team produce the transcripts of press conferences (eg Whaley, Rex etc) or are those generated by a news organization?

If the former, are they also missing whole paragraphs?

No issues with Pegula interview by Wawrow just the timing of it. Could have proved to be an effective strategy if it was released prior to Whaley taking the podium.

Yes. In fact should have been done prior to Lynn HC interview.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Does the team produce the transcripts of press conferences (eg Whaley, Rex etc) or are those generated by a news organization?

If the former, are they also missing whole paragraphs?

We get them sent directly from the Bills, courtesy of Berchtold's department.

Believe me when I say this; the information that we got from the team, compared to beat reporters recordings from the locker room on clear out day, had large chunks missing.

The comments that were missing was important stuff. Tyrod's comments on the benching/injury were incomplete, comments by Reggie Ragland on Rex, comments relating to Gilmore's contract situation.

Nick,

I have a very important question. Which EPL team do you support? Do you have wonderful taste and character as Gunner Bill and I have?

P.S. I have disagreed with Gunner Bill recently but I can never be too angry with him given that he is a fellow Gooner.

COYG

I left UK in 2011 to move to canada so I could get season tickets...

N

Hmmm. And now I am intrigued by who you are.... how long have you been out of UK Government? Our paths could well have crossed.

To clarify - I don't believe they cared about the local media reaction whatsoever. They did not anticipate that the conference would go so off the rails so as to be mentioned in the national conversation as having gone badly. Whaley tried to be cute with his evasive answers and wound up making himself look ridiculous.

As I understand the timing, John Wawrow texted both Pegulas within 10 min of the end of the presser and got a call-back within 10-15 minutes - well before the national reaction took hold.

Public speaking is part of the job. hmmmmmmm

Has anyone mentioned this to Belichik?

What's questionable about Belichik and his style?

He has rings and is a SB contender every year. Hmmmmmmmm

Berchtold should be fired.

Bring in new blood. Edited by tannins

As I understand the timing, John Wawrow texted both Pegulas within 10 min of the end of the presser and got a call-back within 10-15 minutes - well before the national reaction took hold.

Here's jw's take.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191292-ap-john-wawrow-interview-with-terry-pegula/?p=4200067

since my name happens to be on this one, i'll chime in.

i did ask the first question to Whaley in regards to the team seeming to be in a state of dysfunction.

it's clear Whaley either wasn't prepared to provide answers or was busy sticking to a script or was merely not interested in providing anything of merit to the discussion that he helped prompt with his lengthy silence.

it wasn't a good look.and it didn't sound any better.

i'm well aware some Bills executives were not happy with how that went down with Whaley saying he's speaking for ownership and then making everyone in the operation look bad.

that it took the Bills to resort to getting Terry and Kim to explain a thing or five does not reflect well on Whaley. he was supposed to help by start putting out the fire, not add more kindling to it.

it became imperative for the owners to speak. and i know a lot of people are glad they finally did.

whether i was "used" or not, i can't judge that. all i know is that i sent a text to both Terry and Kim and Terry responded within 15 minutes.

the fact is, some clarity was required, and finally provided.

jw

================================================

Bottom line, Whaley botched the presser and Pegs bailed him out.

Here's jw's take.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191292-ap-john-wawrow-interview-with-terry-pegula/?p=4200067

since my name happens to be on this one, i'll chime in.

i did ask the first question to Whaley in regards to the team seeming to be in a state of dysfunction.

it's clear Whaley either wasn't prepared to provide answers or was busy sticking to a script or was merely not interested in providing anything of merit to the discussion that he helped prompt with his lengthy silence.

it wasn't a good look.and it didn't sound any better.

i'm well aware some Bills executives were not happy with how that went down with Whaley saying he's speaking for ownership and then making everyone in the operation look bad.

that it took the Bills to resort to getting Terry and Kim to explain a thing or five does not reflect well on Whaley. he was supposed to help by start putting out the fire, not add more kindling to it.

it became imperative for the owners to speak. and i know a lot of people are glad they finally did.

whether i was "used" or not, i can't judge that. all i know is that i sent a text to both Terry and Kim and Terry responded within 15 minutes.

the fact is, some clarity was required, and finally provided.

jw

================================================

Bottom line, Whaley botched the presser and Pegs bailed him out.

Exactly. I would assume that the Pegulas knew the presser was disaster long before it ended too. Edited by dave mcbride

Has anyone here ever seen a Bill Belichck press conference?

Yes, I have. Have you?

He has never even remotely lost control of the room like Whaley did. Just because Bill doesn't have an outwardly glowing relationship with the media, doesn't mean that he loses control with them. He has half the reporters too scared to even ask him a question, for fear that it will be too dumb. A complete reversal from our situation. No idea why people keep bring that comparison up.

P.S. I have disagreed with Gunner Bill recently but I can never be too angry with him given that he is a fellow Gooner.

COYG

Feeling is mutual Peter. I think you are horribly wrong on Rex but for the right reasons... but you are certainly a man of taste in some respects.

Every couple of years of so when Belichick is in a good mood he's incredibly interesting to listen to.

Exactly. His explanation of how he came to use Alabama's unbalanced line in the Baltimore playoff game was gold. Wish he'd share what he's thinking more. Really insightful.

this guy should be fired for not pulling the idiot crews credentials

I don't like the local media (this is a shock to everyone I know). That said, I completely disagree. The media has a right to ask whatever "gotcha" questions they want to ask; the readers have the right not to read clickbait articles; and Doug Whaley has the professional obligation to handle all questions with a certain level of competence. He did not.

What's questionable about Belichik and his style?

He has rings and is a SB contender every year. Hmmmmmmmm

Bring in new blood.

Yep!!

Yes, I have. Have you?

He has never even remotely lost control of the room like Whaley did. Just because Bill doesn't have an outwardly glowing relationship with the media, doesn't mean that he loses control with them. He has half the reporters too scared to even ask him a question, for fear that it will be too dumb. A complete reversal from our situation. No idea why people keep bring that comparison up.

Totally agree. Apples to oranges.

I don't like the local media (this is a shock to everyone I know). That said, I completely disagree. The media has a right to ask whatever "gotcha" questions they want to ask; the readers have the right not to read clickbait articles; and Doug Whaley has the professional obligation to handle all questions with a certain level of competence. He did not.

Agree on all points. That said, I would think better of the local media if they had behaved in a more professional manner themselves, but I would never agree with pulling media credentials. It's "on" the guy giving the press conference to deal with that.

It's kind of a sad day when an example of Shady McCoy dealing with questions he didn't want to address came into my mind as superior press management skills than the Bills GM.