Shrewd Whaley Wins Alliance battle at OBD.

dezertbill

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

Earlier in the season Ryan, who is friends with Tom Coughlin due their days in NY, introduces TC to Pegula and sets up a meeting. It's reported that in that meeting there is Brandon, Ryan, Coughlin, and Pegulas.

No Whaley.

So a football guy had a meeting with the owner about football operations, and the Team President who has zero to do with football operations and head coach is there yet the GM who has everything to do with football operations isn't?

That's what you call an attempted Coup.

It's also shows that Brandon and Ryan were aligned, and it was most likely Russ that brought Ryan in for an interview since he was part of the hiring process at the time. (DW wanted Hue Jackson). It also makes sense of Brandon's comments to not let Ryan leave the building without agreeing to be our coach.

Rumors flew that Pegs liked Coughlin and some were saying this would signify some sort of Czar role. For this to happen, everyone and their mother knew this would make Whaley disposable.

This would put an ally in the FO for Ryan and Brandon, and eliminate Whaley who was in an obvious power struggle with not only Ryan but also Brandon. Ryan knew he was in the hot seat which is why you heard constant battles of Ryan not getting the best out of players vs. Whaley not giving him enough talent.

Sitting in the press box with the owner week after week you know Whaley had to have been hammering Ryan on his poor decision making and overall poor play to Pegs, as well as other conversations through the season.

In the end with the fan base in a tizzy Pegs had little choice. He's a billionaire, and not by mistake. He knows when it's time to let a poor preforming executive go.

So that's why Ryan asked to speak with Pegs In private. Because he knew DW wasn't his ally. Think about that. The coach asking the owner if his job is safe and didn't want the GM privy to the convo? If DW and RR were close, Rex would have gone to DW first and then both would have been in the discussion with Pegs. It's called self preservation.

I have been in situations where your boss tells you a co-worker you didn't get along with is no longer with the company. In the corporate world you don't ask why. You just nod (most likely with a smile) and say "yes sir". Which is what DW did and explains his response in presser yesterday as to the fact he didn't ask why. You know deep down DW was smiling, but he isn't going to tell the media that.

So now Pegs realizes he listened to the wrong person (Brandon). He should have listened to Whaley who would have brought in a great offensive mind in Jackson who grooms QBs and kept their top ranked defense intact keeping Schwartz.

So now, Pegs has granted DW sole control of the search. The candidate they choose will be one he believes can lead this team to the playoffs, not who Brandon thinks.

And Schefty is reporting that's coughlin isn't on Whaleys radar?

Imagine that.

Brandon, meanwhile, according to Whaley is "doing a lot. And I have no idea what that is".

Nor does DW care

To me this all makes sense. And DWs Art of War Answers yesterday was him taking alot of heat for a decision he wasn't fully supportive of. Whaley even went as far as to say he was on board with the Ryan decision. What's he going to say, "I wasn't?"

If he admitted to the press and threw his owner under the bus for the decision saying he wasn't on board with it, his title would be "former GM". And no other owner would touch him.

It was apparent that Pegs gave him his blessing to make the firing nothing about him because Ryan wasn't his choice. He was Brandon and Pegs choice. Pegs told DW to "blame me".

Whaley is in more control now than he has ever been.

This isn't dysfunction. That was before when Rex and Brandon had Pegulas ear.

This is now how it should have been in the first place. Your GM controlling the football show.

Well done Mr Whaley. Well done.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't thought this in depth about it, but something about the way everything went down yesterday gave me a new respect for Whaley.

I was all for blowing everything up (including a Russ purge) but I'm more comfortable with everything today than I was while watching the Jets game.

To me, DW is a man unchained. Here's to hoping he produces.

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

Earlier in the season Ryan, who is friends with Tom Coughlin due their days in NY, introduces TC to Pegula and sets up a meeting. It's reported that in that meeting there is Brandon, Ryan, Coughlin, and Pegulas.

No Whaley.

So a football guy had a meeting with the owner about football operations, and the Team President who has zero to do with football operations and head coach is there yet the GM who has everything to do with football operations isn't?

It's also shows that Brandon and Ryan were aligned, and it was most likely Russ that brought Ryan in for an interview since he was part of the hiring process at the time. (DW wanted Hue Jackson). It also makes sense of Brandon's comments to not let Ryan leave the building without agreeing to be our coach.

Rumors flew that Pegs liked Coughlin and some were saying this would signify some sort of Czar role. For this to happen, everyone and their mother knew this would make Whaley disposable.

This would put an ally in the FO for Ryan and Brandon, and eliminate Whaley who was in an obvious power struggle with not only Ryan but also Brandon. Ryan knew he was in the hot seat which is why you heard constant battles of Ryan not getting the best out of players vs. Whaley not giving him enough talent.

Sitting in the press box with the owner week after week you know Whaley had to have been hammering Ryan on his poor decision making and overall poor play to Pegs, as well as other conversations through the season.

In the end with the fan base in a tizzy Pegs had little choice. He's a billionaire, and not by mistake. He knows when it's time to let a poor preforming executive go.

So that's why Ryan asked to speak with Pegs In private. Because he knew DW wasn't his ally. Think about that. The coach asking the owner if his job is safe and didn't want the GM privy to the convo? If DW and RR were close, Rex would have gone to DW first and then both would have been in the discussion with Pegs. It's called self preservation.

I have been in situations where your boss tells you a co-worker you didn't get along with is no longer with the company. In the corporate world you don't ask why. You just nod (most likely with a smile) and say "yes sir". Which is what DW did and explains his response in presser yesterday as to the fact he didn't ask why. You know deep down DW was smiling, but he isn't going to tell the media that.

So now Pegs realizes he listened to the wrong person (Brandon). He should have listened to Whaley who would have brought in a great offensive mind in Jackson who grooms QBs and kept their top ranked defense intact keeping Schwartz.

So now, Pegs has granted DW sole control of the search. The candidate they choose will be one he believes can lead this team to the playoffs, not who Brandon thinks.

Imagine that.

Brandon, meanwhile, according to Whaley is "doing a lot. And I have no idea what that is".

Nor does DW care

To me this all makes sense. And DWs Art of War Answers yesterday was him taking alot of heat for a decision he wasn't fully supportive of. Whaley even went as far as to say he was on board with the Ryan decision. What's he going to say, "I wasn't?"

If he admitted to the press and threw his owner under the bus for the decision saying he wasn't on board with it, his title would be "former GM". And no other owner would touch him.

It was apparent that Pegs gave him his blessing to make the firing nothing about him because Ryan wasn't his choice. He was Brandon and Pegs choice. Pegs told DW to "blame me".

This is now how it should have been in the first place. Your GM controlling the football show.

They should make a movie about this

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

No Whaley.

Imagine that.

Nor does DW care

I agree 100 percent. I would add that the way Whaley answered the questions yesterday forced Terry and Kim to come out of hiding and clean up there mess. It was a well played hand by Whaley.. Sadly the local media doesn't have the intelligence to see it

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

No Whaley.

Imagine that.

Nor does DW care

I don't know how accurate any of this is but I love the fact that you had the guts to put it out there, you have painted quite a picture and have one much to think about! I love this inside ****, even if it is inaccurate! Nice job buddy, take the next step and come up with a plausible scenario on the next HC selection, I would love to hear what you have to say about that.

I agree 100 percent. I would add that the way Whaley answered the questions yesterday forced Terry and Kim to come out of hiding and clean up there mess. It was a well played hand by Whaley.. Sadly the local media doesn't have the intelligence to see it

Now I've heard it all. Terry and Kim emerged from "hiding" because they had to squelch the flames of a presser so atrociously handled as to make national news. It's no coincidence that terry spoke to a national reporter. And if the pegulas thought for one second that Whaley pulled a power play on them he would be a former gm in short order.

Terry's letting Doug run this but the decision will be his. If Whaley doesn't have Coughlin on his list, Terry will add it and invite him to the crib to chill with him and Kim. Then they hire him. That's how I see this going down.

As far as the big meeting, maybe Doug was out of town or had a dentist appointment.

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

No Whaley.

Imagine that.

Nor does DW care

Great job describing how this went down, as a senior executive at large organization I got the same impression on the office politics. The only part a disagree with you about is that Whaley is a good GM. His unrelentingly desire to prove how he was right on EJ has been his biggest failure, he's been willing to sacrifice team performance to prove himself correct. BTW I hadn't heard about the Hue Jackson rumor but I definitely could have lived with that selection.

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

No Whaley.

Imagine that.

Nor does DW care

Dude you should copywrite this because I agree 1000000%, by connecting the DOTS that this is the way it went down. Whoever disagrees is a Whaley hater point blank with no objectivity.

If Ryan would have won more games then Whaley could have still be unhappy but he would have still dealt with Ryan because heals all things in sports

(except Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke), BUT when you are losing and the head coach is trying to undermine your influence to the point where Whaley might have gotten fired you can we can see where Whaley went Art of War on Rex.

Edited by Protocal69

Whoever disagrees is a Whaley hater point blank with no objectivity.

What an original take! If you dont agree with me your a hater! Never heard that one before...

Next year will define Whaley. Good or bad.

Edited by TANK2