Shrewd Whaley Wins Alliance battle at OBD.

dezertbill

Rex inherited a top 4 defense, he promised his bosses that he would make it better.

Two years later and with brother Rob aboard the defense it what's dysfunctional, therefore Rex is fired.

Rob, and almost every other cronie he's acquired over the years. I bet he had quite the bounty under the Christmas tree. Our boat was over loaded, but hey, it's not Rex's money. He was handing out free passes to steal to a lot of guys. But it's nice to store up favors.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex inherited a top 4 defense, he promised his bosses that he would make it better.

Two years later and with brother Rob aboard the defense it what's dysfunctional, therefore Rex is fired.

"but WHY did you fire him Mr. Pegula? I know it's obvious but I need to make sure I ask in case Bucky wants to know whether I did for his op-ed piece that no one reads!"

I agree 100 percent. I would add that the way Whaley answered the questions yesterday forced Terry and Kim to come out of hiding and clean up there mess. It was a well played hand by Whaley.. Sadly the local media doesn't have the intelligence to see it

I'm not sure that he forced them out of hiding. It'd be great to know when JW had his interview with Terry scheduled. I think this may have been orchestrated.

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

Earlier in the season Ryan, who is friends with Tom Coughlin due their days in NY, introduces TC to Pegula and sets up a meeting. It's reported that in that meeting there is Brandon, Ryan, Coughlin, and Pegulas.

No Whaley.

So a football guy had a meeting with the owner about football operations, and the Team President who has zero to do with football operations and head coach is there yet the GM who has everything to do with football operations isn't?

That's what you call an attempted Coup.

It's also shows that Brandon and Ryan were aligned, and it was most likely Russ that brought Ryan in for an interview since he was part of the hiring process at the time. (DW wanted Hue Jackson). It also makes sense of Brandon's comments to not let Ryan leave the building without agreeing to be our coach.

Rumors flew that Pegs liked Coughlin and some were saying this would signify some sort of Czar role. For this to happen, everyone and their mother knew this would make Whaley disposable.

This would put an ally in the FO for Ryan and Brandon, and eliminate Whaley who was in an obvious power struggle with not only Ryan but also Brandon. Ryan knew he was in the hot seat which is why you heard constant battles of Ryan not getting the best out of players vs. Whaley not giving him enough talent.

Sitting in the press box with the owner week after week you know Whaley had to have been hammering Ryan on his poor decision making and overall poor play to Pegs, as well as other conversations through the season.

In the end with the fan base in a tizzy Pegs had little choice. He's a billionaire, and not by mistake. He knows when it's time to let a poor preforming executive go.

So that's why Ryan asked to speak with Pegs In private. Because he knew DW wasn't his ally. Think about that. The coach asking the owner if his job is safe and didn't want the GM privy to the convo? If DW and RR were close, Rex would have gone to DW first and then both would have been in the discussion with Pegs. It's called self preservation.

I have been in situations where your boss tells you a co-worker you didn't get along with is no longer with the company. In the corporate world you don't ask why. You just nod (most likely with a smile) and say "yes sir". Which is what DW did and explains his response in presser yesterday as to the fact he didn't ask why. You know deep down DW was smiling, but he isn't going to tell the media that.

So now Pegs realizes he listened to the wrong person (Brandon). He should have listened to Whaley who would have brought in a great offensive mind in Jackson who grooms QBs and kept their top ranked defense intact keeping Schwartz.

So now, Pegs has granted DW sole control of the search. The candidate they choose will be one he believes can lead this team to the playoffs, not who Brandon thinks.

And Schefty is reporting that's coughlin isn't on Whaleys radar?

Imagine that.

Brandon, meanwhile, according to Whaley is "doing a lot. And I have no idea what that is".

Nor does DW care

To me this all makes sense. And DWs Art of War Answers yesterday was him taking alot of heat for a decision he wasn't fully supportive of. Whaley even went as far as to say he was on board with the Ryan decision. What's he going to say, "I wasn't?"

If he admitted to the press and threw his owner under the bus for the decision saying he wasn't on board with it, his title would be "former GM". And no other owner would touch him.

It was apparent that Pegs gave him his blessing to make the firing nothing about him because Ryan wasn't his choice. He was Brandon and Pegs choice. Pegs told DW to "blame me".

Whaley is in more control now than he has ever been.

This isn't dysfunction. That was before when Rex and Brandon had Pegulas ear.

This is now how it should have been in the first place. Your GM controlling the football show.

Well done Mr Whaley. Well done.

i agree with most of this, except the outcome.

Whaley's failure to be a team player and put his agenda ahead of what's best for the franchise is not what i want from a "loyal" employee.

the trouble here is this is how the franchise operated in filling the power vacuums left open with Tom Donahoe's dismissal. everyone was scrambling to find the new position and grab hold of what was left while leaving the franchise in the lurch.

and that's why i refer to this offseason as being the most dysfunctional since post-2005.

this will not be received well, but i credit Russ Brandon for doing just that when he stepped down as GM and hiring Buddy Nix.

jw

Whaley's failure to be a team player and put his agenda ahead of what's best for the franchise is not what i want from a "loyal" employee.

the trouble here is this is how the franchise operated in filling the power vacuums left open with Tom Donahoe's dismissal. everyone was scrambling to find the new position and grab hold of what was left while leaving the franchise in the lurch.

and that's why i refer to this offseason as being the most dysfunctional since post-2005.

this will not be received well, but i credit Russ Brandon for doing just that when he stepped down as GM and hiring Buddy Nix.

jw

jw could you elaborate on this a bit....

exactly what power is DW trying to to get

if anything....I wonder why he doesnt ALREADY have that power so we can figure out if he needs to be fired due to not being a good GM

That was excellent insight and plausibly explains many things. Let's hope Whaley makes the right call and has learned from some of his personnel mistakes too. I hope he remains on the same page with the new coach and we actually implement a coherent plan because the last few years have been odd. If not, we are in for yet another complete overall soon.

Edited by timtebow15

jw could you elaborate on this a bit....

exactly what power is DW trying to to get

if anything....I wonder why he doesnt ALREADY have that power so we can figure out if he needs to be fired due to not being a good GM

he comes from a steelers organization where i couldn't name the GM without doing a google search, and where continuity and coaching stability have been the rule.

and yet, there's this overwhelming sense that the script should be flipped here in Buffalo.

have a hissy fit all you want that Hue Jackson wasn't hired. be a team player and respect the owner's decision -- not just when it agrees with yours.

jw

he comes from a steelers organization where i couldn't name the GM without doing a google search, and where continuity and coaching stability have been the rule.

and yet, there's this overwhelming sense that the script should be flipped here in Buffalo.

have a hissy fit all you want that Hue Jackson wasn't hired. be a team player and respect the owner's decision -- not just when it agrees with yours.

jw

interesting take

I really just want our GM to be our GM......I dont understand the whole Whaley not picking coach.....whole report to the owner thing.

- It takes the heat off Whaley for a bad hire

- It cuts the nuts off the GM when it comes to decisions

Why would a owner (and I think the Pegulas are gonna end up being great owners in the end) who have no football experience making football decisions....why dont they defer to the people that they PAY to do that (say....a GM for instance) to do that...then fire them when they dont do a good job?

Just my opinion

interesting take

I really just want our GM to be our GM......I dont understand the whole Whaley not picking coach.....whole report to the owner thing.

- It takes the heat off Whaley for a bad hire

- It cuts the nuts off the GM when it comes to decisions

Why would a owner (and I think the Pegulas are gonna end up being great owners in the end) who have no football experience making football decisions....why dont they defer to the people that they PAY to do that (say....a GM for instance) to do that...then fire them when they dont do a good job?

Just my opinion

they aren't meddling. can tell you that from what i know. but they do take great interest in their two teams, which is good.

and i fully believe Terry when he said he made "an executive decision" to fire Rex, because that's likely what was going to happen.

the trouble to me is a failure to assess the job the GM has done.

jw

I think this is what doomed Rex.

After season 1, Rex said the Defense's problem is 1) communication and 2) that he tried to blend his D with Schwarz' D and that didn't work. So Season 2 he said "I promise you that when I bring in my big fat twin, we will turn this completely around." His brother simply delivered the same crap he peddled in NO.

Pegs saw the 200+ rush yards and said WTF. Rex was told to bench TT in W17 and Rex said fire me now.

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

Earlier in the season Ryan, who is friends with Tom Coughlin due their days in NY, introduces TC to Pegula and sets up a meeting. It's reported that in that meeting there is Brandon, Ryan, Coughlin, and Pegulas.

No Whaley.

So a football guy had a meeting with the owner about football operations, and the Team President who has zero to do with football operations and head coach is there yet the GM who has everything to do with football operations isn't?

That's what you call an attempted Coup.

It's also shows that Brandon and Ryan were aligned, and it was most likely Russ that brought Ryan in for an interview since he was part of the hiring process at the time. (DW wanted Hue Jackson). It also makes sense of Brandon's comments to not let Ryan leave the building without agreeing to be our coach.

Rumors flew that Pegs liked Coughlin and some were saying this would signify some sort of Czar role. For this to happen, everyone and their mother knew this would make Whaley disposable.

This would put an ally in the FO for Ryan and Brandon, and eliminate Whaley who was in an obvious power struggle with not only Ryan but also Brandon. Ryan knew he was in the hot seat which is why you heard constant battles of Ryan not getting the best out of players vs. Whaley not giving him enough talent.

Sitting in the press box with the owner week after week you know Whaley had to have been hammering Ryan on his poor decision making and overall poor play to Pegs, as well as other conversations through the season.

In the end with the fan base in a tizzy Pegs had little choice. He's a billionaire, and not by mistake. He knows when it's time to let a poor preforming executive go.

So that's why Ryan asked to speak with Pegs In private. Because he knew DW wasn't his ally. Think about that. The coach asking the owner if his job is safe and didn't want the GM privy to the convo? If DW and RR were close, Rex would have gone to DW first and then both would have been in the discussion with Pegs. It's called self preservation.

I have been in situations where your boss tells you a co-worker you didn't get along with is no longer with the company. In the corporate world you don't ask why. You just nod (most likely with a smile) and say "yes sir". Which is what DW did and explains his response in presser yesterday as to the fact he didn't ask why. You know deep down DW was smiling, but he isn't going to tell the media that.

So now Pegs realizes he listened to the wrong person (Brandon). He should have listened to Whaley who would have brought in a great offensive mind in Jackson who grooms QBs and kept their top ranked defense intact keeping Schwartz.

So now, Pegs has granted DW sole control of the search. The candidate they choose will be one he believes can lead this team to the playoffs, not who Brandon thinks.

And Schefty is reporting that's coughlin isn't on Whaleys radar?

Imagine that.

Brandon, meanwhile, according to Whaley is "doing a lot. And I have no idea what that is".

Nor does DW care

To me this all makes sense. And DWs Art of War Answers yesterday was him taking alot of heat for a decision he wasn't fully supportive of. Whaley even went as far as to say he was on board with the Ryan decision. What's he going to say, "I wasn't?"

If he admitted to the press and threw his owner under the bus for the decision saying he wasn't on board with it, his title would be "former GM". And no other owner would touch him.

It was apparent that Pegs gave him his blessing to make the firing nothing about him because Ryan wasn't his choice. He was Brandon and Pegs choice. Pegs told DW to "blame me".

Whaley is in more control now than he has ever been.

This isn't dysfunction. That was before when Rex and Brandon had Pegulas ear.

This is now how it should have been in the first place. Your GM controlling the football show.

Well done Mr Whaley. Well done.

Interesting scenarios and full of intrigue and plausibility.

My question is if Brandon and Ryan are aligned in a coup attempt of this magnitude with the idea that DW has to go, why doesn't Brandon ensure that he or another ally isn't sitting in that same box with Pegula at every game and bending his ear as much as Whaley? Sure seems they left a helluva lot to chance in that regard. Quite stupid of them, actually, given their intentions.

jw

Thanks again for the insight.

the only thing i'm missing is accountability on Whaley's part.

at the very least, I'll credit Tim Murray for being upfront and open in discussing his team and his decisions.

jw

Whaley lacks GMTM's finesse and zero phucks given approach. I don't think Murray does agendas, either.

at the very least, I'll credit Tim Murray for being upfront and open in discussing his team and his decisions.

jw

When you say accountability, I'm not sure what you mean. Accountability for personnel decisions? Okay, but I thought he made more good than bad. Accountability for Rex? Pegs said, for right or wrong, that wasn't his role. Accountability for being the leaks on Rex's fate? Was that Whaley who did that?

Interesting scenarios and full of intrigue and plausibility.

My question is if Brandon and Ryan are aligned in a coup attempt of this magnitude with the idea that DW has to go, why doesn't Brandon ensure that he or another ally isn't sitting in that same box with Pegula at every game and bending his ear as much as Whaley? Sure seems they left a helluva lot to chance in that regard. Quite stupid of them, actually, given their intentions.

i will say this, and i missed this with my initial response.

Russ is more of a backer of Whaley than he ever would have been of Rex.

jw

jw

I get that, but if he's not the man to hire and fire how open can he be? He still has to toe the company line, no? I wouldn't expect him to say, "It wasn't me. I wanted Hue Jackson and Schwartz to stay on as DC. The Pegula's wanted Rex and I did what I had to do." Whaley isn't a great public speaker, but I think the answers are between the lines with him usually.

BTW, thank you for the interaction. It was telling who the Pegula's responded to in order to clarify things. They seem to be people who respond to fairness, even if it comes within a valid critique; as opposed to other styles of reporting.

Edited by purple haze