Who do you want the Bills to be?

What is more important, having a team that is a legitimate contender year in and year out or sneaking into the playoffs and losing in the first round.

It seems that a large contingent of posters feel that the " Playoff Drought" is some kind of holy grail that must be brought to an end. Following this logic they are clinging to TT because he's better than the two guys who played today as if half the team already having their lockers cleaned out and unwilling to give any effort was the QBs fault. ( Not to make excuses for either QB)

Then there are those who see TT for the 8-8 QB that he will always be and believe that he represents the path of continued mediocrity.

Can we all agree that the only teams that have the chance of deep playoff runs on a continued basis are those with Franchise QBs ( Brady, Rogers, Rothlisberger... etc) ? We can argue about who is on this list but it is a relatively short one.

Can we also agree that TT will never be on this list?

I know many hate to hear/ think this but chances are pretty high that we don't make the playoffs again next year. A new coaching staff , even Lynn and Thurman are going to change things. This team wasn't that close this year with a lucky streak early playing some really crappy QBs/ Teams that had many excited about a " Fast start". I know a win is a win but in hind site it looks like the fools gold that it was.

I want a team I can watch for a DECADE that has a legit chance to contend for the playoffs annually and a SB at least once if not a few times.

I don't care about a one off playoff appearance . I care about building a team to be proud of. I realize this entails many changes but the first has to be a realization that TT is not the guy and we need to take our medicine and save the cap room and continued middle path even if it means a suckfest next year.

What is more important, having a team that is a legitimate contender year in and year out or sneaking into the playoffs and losing in the first round.

It seems that a large contingent of posters feel that the " Playoff Drought" is some kind of holy grail that must be brought to an end. Following this logic they are clinging to TT because he's better than the two guys who played today as if half the team already having their lockers cleaned out and unwilling to give any effort was the QBs fault. ( Not to make excuses for either QB)

Then there are those who see TT for the 8-8 QB that he will always be and believe that he represents the path of continued mediocrity.

Can we all agree that the only teams that have the chance of deep playoff runs on a continued basis are those with Franchise QBs ( Brady, Rogers, Rothlisberger... etc) ? We can argue about who is on this list but it is a relatively short one.

I know many hate to hear/ think this but chances are pretty high that we don't make the playoffs again next year. A new coaching staff , even Lynn and Thurman are going to change things. This team wasn't that close this year with a lucky streak early playing some really crappy QBs/ Teams that had many excited about a " Fast start". I know a win is a win but in hind site it looks like the fools gold that it was.

I want a team I can watch for a DECADE that has a legit chance to contend for the playoffs annually and a SB at least once if not a few times.

I don't care about a one off playoff appearance . I care about building a team to be proud of. I realize this entails many changes but the first has to be a realization that TT is not the guy and we need to take our medicine and save the cap room and continued middle path even if it means a suckfest next year.

What makes you think that if we made the playoffs next season, it wouldn't be the start of a nice stretch of success?

Alex Smith Joe Flacco and whatever body Houston trots out every week are playoff contenders or in the playoffs every year.

Bills fans have let Brady and Bellichick live rent free in their heads for too long.

Tyrod isn't a franchise QB. Who freaking cares. He's our best option for now and we blew that.

Because we're poorly run.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

What makes you think that if we made the playoffs next season, it wouldn't be the start of a nice stretch of success?

TT.....Kinda thought I was rather obvious about my feelings🤔

Alex Smith Joe Flacco and whatever body Houston trots out every week are playoff contenders or in the playoffs every year.Bills fans have let Brady and Bellichick live rent free in their heads for too long.Tyrod isn't a franchise QB. Who freaking cares. He's our best option for now and we blew that. Because we're poorly run.Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

TT.....Kinda thought I was rather obvious about my feelings

but if we made the playoffs next season, it would mean that you are likely wrong about TT, and you're quite longwinded, you lost me during parts of your post.

TT.....Kinda thought I was rather obvious about my feelings

so do we just fantasize about which QB we would like or are we realistic about what we have. Very few teams have 'franchise' QB's and even those don't often win.(Stafford for example as I'm watching him now).

So you deal with not having a elite QB buy complementing him with a strong running game and defense. This gives us our best chance to be successful. It's been posted by many others, a strong defense and we are in the playoffs this year. You can't keep dreaming for QB's that don't exist. You want a guy like Mariota/Winston- no playoffs so far. Would you be content missing the playoffs waiting for the QB to develop?

L L L L L L L W L = Recent KC playoff history

Ravens are a quality run org, Flacco is better passer than TT, Harbaugh is a good coach

Houston doesn't have.... Wait for it..... A Franchise QB

Again , if that is enough for you , cool.

I don't want to be Houston or KC with a1 and 8 playoff record.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

but if we made the playoffs next season, it would mean that you are likely wrong about TT, and you're quite longwinded, you lost me during parts of your post.

so do we just fantasize about which QB we would like or are we realistic about what we have. Very few teams have 'franchise' QB's and even those don't often win.(Stafford for example as I'm watching him now).

So you deal with not having a elite QB buy complementing him with a strong running game and defense. This gives us our best chance to be successful. It's been posted by many others, a strong defense and we are in the playoffs this year. You can't keep dreaming for QB's that don't exist. You want a guy like Mariota/Winston- no playoffs so far. Would you be content missing the playoffs waiting for the QB to develop?

L L L L L L L W L = Tecent KC playoff history

Ravens are a quality run org, Flacco is better passer than TT, Harbaugh is a good coach

Houston doesn't have.... Wait for it..... A Franchise QB

Again , if that is enough for you , cool.

I don't want to be Houston or KC with a1 and 8 playoff record.

Not sure what point you're making about the Ravens, whether they are good or bad.

Right , houston doesn't and they are in the playoffs with the number 1 defense in the league and a strong running game.

have to walk before you can run. Get to the playoffs first.

Edited by klos63

I would be content to give a young QB the time while building .

We had a good defense and screwed the pooch on that one. Our defense is now in transition between schemes.

Not sure what point you're making about the Ravens, whether they are good or bad.

Right , houston doesn't and they are in the playoffs with the number 1 defense in the league and a strong running game.

have to walk before you can run. Get to the playoffs first.

The Ravens are a good team, good coach, better QB than TT.

How far does Houston get this year?

I would be content to give a young QB the time while building .

We had a good defense and screwed the pooch on that one. Our defense is now in transition between schemes.

The Ravens are a good team, good coach, better QB than TT.

How far does Houston get this year?

The Ravens are a very well run team that has won 2 Super Bowls.

I don't know how far Houston goes, but they are in the playoffs so they have a shot to go all the way, we don't. I'd rather be in Houston's position today.

Edited by klos63

The Ravens are a very well run team that has won 2 Super Bowls.

I don't know how far Houston goes, but they are in the playoffs so they have a shot to go all the way, we don't. I'd rather be in Houston's position today.

Houston plays in possibly the worst division and are managing 9 win seasons. They spent a bunch of $$ on Osweiler because they needed a QB. Credit to them for trying. He sucked and will next week but who Oakland puts in at QB might be Houston's saving grace but then the jig will be up.

Until they figure out their QB they don't go far..... which is my point.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

I'd like an organization that is relentlessly committed to improvement (playoffs only a start), from management and coaches down to players, and one in which the fans can have some confidence that those in positions of power have the judgement, expertise and intelligence to pursue that sort of success agenda. But hey, that's just me. Right now, I feel we have an organization relentlessly committed to selling a product, of suspect quality.

I'd like an organization that is relentlessly committed to improvement (playoffs only a start), from management and coaches down to players, and one in which the fans can have some confidence that those in positions of power have the judgement, expertise and intelligence to pursue that sort of success agenda. But hey, that's just me. Right now, I feel we have an organization relentlessly committed to selling a product, of suspect quality.

Testify my brother

Amen

My ideal Bills team is one that's trendy to pick as a dark house playoff contender in the offseason, who gets on a hot streak early, followed by national media "Yes, the Bills are for real," headlines, followed by dropping a few soul crushing losses to beatable teams necessary to coast into the postseason, and ending the season with a "if everything breaks our way (and it assuredly will), we just need to beat X (and we assuredly won't) and we're in" game, that this whole team rolls overs and dies in because they have the collective toughness of a elementary school kickball team.

That's my ideal Buffalo Bills team after 17 years. Thank you OBD and may I please have another?

stick to the 4-3 defense for good. quit going back and forth between schemes and having to release and replace guys. Big defense and a big run game will allow whatever qb we go with to not have the pressure of winning the games right away.

What I want the Bills to be is good competition every time my team faces you.

I remember wishing the other teams in the division were better so that the Bills wouldn't show up half cocked in divisional games and screw off for 3 quarters.

Turns out teams CAN be self motivated despite playing bad teams in their division.

Bills and other division opponents sucking hasn't kept Pats from playing to their potential.

I want the Bills to be a well run organization. A team that is tough, plays hard, and plays smart. A team that doesn't beat itself with penalties, blown assignments, or has players suspended for stupid stuff.

I want a front office that makes solid draft picks, acquires players off waivers, and draws interest from free agents. Quit drafting 1st rounders who aren't 1st rounders, questionable injury history, or reaching for players. Get smart.

My ideal Bills team is one that's trendy to pick as a dark house playoff contender in the offseason, who gets on a hot streak early, followed by national media "Yes, the Bills are for real," headlines, followed by dropping a few soul crushing losses to beatable teams necessary to coast into the postseason, and ending the season with a "if everything breaks our way (and it assuredly will), we just need to beat X (and we assuredly won't) and we're in" game, that this whole team rolls overs and dies in because they have the collective toughness of a elementary school kickball team.

That's my ideal Buffalo Bills team after 17 years. Thank you OBD and may I please have another?

:lol:

Oh Wise One! I'm glad you know TT's future when us mere mortals are hanging on to futile hope.

You may be right about TT's mediocrity. I'm personally not convinced yet.

I remember when I thought Plunkett was a proven mediocrity. In his 5th and last year in New England, he completed a stunning 39% of his passes! After two more mediocre years in San Francisco, he went to Oakland and led them to two Super Bowl championships.

I remember when I thought Drew Brees was a proven mediocrity. Being a Purdue alum, I watched his career closely and was disappointed by the uninspiring numbers he put up in San Diego. His first three years there he averaged barely 200 yards passing per game. He was Tyrod, without the legs. Now Brees just completed his 5th 5,000 yard season - more 5,000 yard seasons than all other NFL QBs in history combined!

Those, and other examples, taught me not to jump to conclusions too quickly. Some QBs need time to develop.

Oh Wise One! I'm glad you know TT's future when us mere mortals are hanging on to futile hope.

You may be right about TT's mediocrity. I'm personally not convinced yet.

I remember when I thought Plunkett was a proven mediocrity. In his 5th and last year in New England, he completed a stunning 39% of his passes! After two more mediocre years in San Francisco, he went to Oakland and led them to two Super Bowl championships.

I remember when I thought Drew Brees was a proven mediocrity. Being a Purdue alum, I watched his career closely and was disappointed by the uninspiring numbers he put up in San Diego. His first three years there he averaged barely 200 yards passing per game. He was Tyrod, without the legs. Now Brees just completed his 5th 5,000 yard season - more 5,000 yard seasons than all other NFL QBs in history combined!

Those, and other examples, taught me not to jump to conclusions too quickly. Some QBs need time to develop.

Well, at least ONE of us had to have this opinion.... Oh Sarcastic one😉

Maybe he turns into Brees but then again maybe it's time to get checked for early onset Alzheimer's.

I've been watching a mediocre team for 17 years now. The only winning game seasons have resulted in the Head Coach quitting the team!?

Me thinks you probably still think Losman didn't get a fair shake, or EJ, ir Trent, or......

Just don't think you will get that calibre of management talent to move to and live in WNY. Not happening when your options are L.A. and just about any other franchise not named Cleveland who is looking for high end talent. When you're talented enough to name your destination, with all due respect Buffalo is not likely to be your choice. I always go back to Bobby Ross, hot shot coach candidate who picked Chargers over Bills bc his wife said she would not live in Buffalo.

It's a big problem, it's why we get second pickings for FO and coaches, unless they have some ties to the area. I would hazard to guess many many posters on this board don't live in WNY anymore for the same reason.. if you are a high end experienced talent, you have choices, WNY is not necessarily ultimately what you chose. I got the whole "only 32 of these jobs in the world" garbagio, but the kind of high end talent who are relentlessly committed, blah blah, tend to be very discriminating in all areas of their life, and will discriminate against WNY is most cases where other options exist.

Hope I am wrong , but this franchise will have difficulty attracting the playing, coaching and management talent to be a consistent winner in this particular league. The Bills and Sabres lucked out in having a benevolent rich guy in give-back mode overpay to save their franchises, and that's great, but ownership is only one part of the winning puzzle.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Do or do not, there is no try.

I'm still livid they ruined a potentially Great D to bring in Rex.

We were doing then and on the right path. Had Marrone brought in an NFL caliber OC we might be happy fans currently.

A bunch of us correctly called out the mistake it was at the time.

Moving on from TT is not quitting, it is accepting who we are; a team in rebuilding mode.

It seems that a large contingent of posters feel that the " Playoff Drought" is some kind of holy grail that must be brought to an end. Following this logic they are clinging to TT because he's better than the two guys who played today as if half the team already having their lockers cleaned out and unwilling to give any effort was the QBs fault.

lost me here. couldnt read beyond this. Tyrod might not see every open receiver but at least he doesnt miss wide open, uncovered WRs when he actually throws it to them. His contract is 20th highest paid QB in the league, for his talent thats around his value, some other team will pay him that and probably more. You know outside of Buffalo's cry baby fan base people consider Tyrod a solid pro QB. The way you people act its as if were using a CFL player in the NFL. Un-Real.

Agreed 100% Guys like Taylor, Manuel and Jones are not going to lead us to the playoffs, let alone have a chance at the Super Bowl. Guys like Orton, Fitzpatrick, Edwards, Losman, Holcomb, Bledsoe, Johnson and Van Pelt weren't able to either. The Bills need an elite QB to compete in the AFC east against Brady & Belichek. The Bills have three options on how to get one: trade for one (such as Brees), which would require multiple draft picks and possibly some of our own players; trade up in the draft when an elite prospect is available, which would cost the Bills multiple first round draft picks and more; or to tank for a few years in order to be at the top of the draft order (like the Sabres did).

Like you, I'm not interested in the Bills just barely making it into the playoffs, only to see them bounced in the first round. I want a long term contender that is going to be around for 10-15 years and that has a reasonable shot of winning the Super Bowl in that time period.

lost me here. couldnt read beyond this. Tyrod might not see every open receiver but at least he doesnt miss wide open, uncovered WRs when he actually throws it to them. His contract is 20th highest paid QB in the league, for his talent thats around his value, some other team will pay him that and probably more. You know outside of Buffalo's cry baby fan base people consider Tyrod a solid pro QB. The way you people act its as if were using a CFL player in the NFL. Un-Real.

Because, ya know, Rex had to outbid so many people for " Mr. Four season bench warmer" who then amazed so many around the league with his pro passing acumen?

Please, let OTHER teams over pay for him. Good luck to them or him.

Unless you have a top 2-3 defense , he is not getting you there.

How many seasons before the defensive " talent " we have coming back can perform at that level.

TT is who he is. It is real. It isn't crying.

Like you, I'm not interested in the Bills just barely making it into the playoffs, only to see them bounced in the first round. I want a long term contender that is going to be around for 10-15 years and that has a reasonable shot of winning the Super Bowl in that time period.

i understand you and buffalo boys frustration but what you want is gonna take at least 2 years of tanking or un-watchable 4-12 5-11 and 3-13 teams. Franchise QBs dont grow on trees. Trading for one will put the rest of the team at a disadvantage because impact players will have to come from drafts and not FAs (which again takes time).

I love the bills but after the last 15 years IDK if I can sit through another 3 year re-build with any enthusiasm. By then McCoy is gone, Hughes gone, Dareus older not as good, ingonito gone, glenn older not as good, wood gone, Sammy gone, Clay gone,Graham gone, Gilmore gone.

Chasing a QB the way you both want is gonna cost you relatively the entire team and a lot of good players prime years. Either keep Tyrod, draft more QBs till you find one you like and believe in, or if your gonna cut Tyrod then blow up the whole thing rite now, trade the best vets for picks, drain the swamp and get it over with. Anything other then those 2 options is a waste.