Trump foreign policy

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

"Without Germany, we would not be here today", is kind of a ridiculous reason for the Chancellor to be invited to a D-Day commemoration.  

Asenine reason.

HA HA HA!! The Queen gave President Trump a book as a present! 

That's a really a subtle insult. I get some people, cough cough, actually think Trump wrote the "Art of the Deal" [read it? :lol::lol:] but the guy probably never read a book in his life. And it shows! 

Good one your majesty! 

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, “DESPITE?”: Trump Talks Up U.K. Trade Deal Despite Brexit Impasse.

President Trump promised Britain a broad free-trade accord once it leaves the European Union, an offer that would require the U.K. to secure the decisive break with the bloc advocated by prominent Brexit backers in the race to succeed Prime Minister Theresa May.

Such an agreement, though, could take years to materialize even after an abrupt split and would face multiple political hurdles in the U.K. and the U.S.

At a press conference with Mrs. May on the second day of a three-day state visit, Mr. Trump talked up close economic links between the U.S. and its ally and said a free-trade pact had “tremendous potential” to boost trade between the two countries.

“As the U.K. makes preparations to exit the European Union, the United States is committed to a phenomenal trade deal between the U.S. and the U.K.,” he said.

As I’ve said before, Brexit wasn’t about reducing trade, but about regaining British sovereignty from Brussels. Since Brussels isn’t willing to give up the UK as it satrap, Hard Brexit is the only way out, followed by that “phenomenal trade deal.”

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That's a really a subtle insult. I get some people, cough cough, actually think Trump wrote the "Art of the Deal" [read it? :lol::lol:] but the guy probably never read a book in his life. And it shows! 

Good one your majesty! 

Do you have any idea what the book was about or what it represents?

Hey! We are going to include Britain's health care service in our next trade deal with the UK!! :lol: :doh:

LOL!!! What a total buffoon! Total embarrassment to the United States! 

The sooner this clown is gone the better 

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

Do you have any idea what the book was about or what it represents?

I've read certain volumes of it, have you? 

Sorry, rhetorical question ?

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

"Without Germany, we would not be here today", is kind of a ridiculous reason for the Chancellor to be invited to a D-Day commemoration.  

You're aware that we actually fought the British to become our own country, right?  It all depends on the prism of time you're looking through.

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

That's a really a subtle insult.

So when Obama gave her a stupid iPod loaded with tapes of his own speeches....what was that? The ultimate Narcissist on display?  You really have to try harder. This has became way too easy.

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So when Obama gave her a stupid iPod loaded with tapes of his own speeches....what was that? The ultimate Narcissist on display?  You really have to try harder. This has became way too easy.

Banging your head against a wall is easy but it hurts like hell.  

BTW I had to google that to see if he really gave that to her and it appears he did.  The also gave this;

While visiting the United States, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown gave the president a pen fashioned out of the same wood as the Resolute Desk. What did Obama give him in return?

“Barack Obama, the leader of the world’s richest country, gave the Prime Minister a box set of 25 classic American films – a gift about as exciting as a pair of socks,” reported the Telegraph.  What’s worse, the set of DVD’s was coded for the United States and unreadable by UK DVD players.

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

BTW I had to google that to see if he really gave that to her and it appears he did.  The also gave this;

I laugh every time I read about the Obama's head of state gifts.  The ones to England were just about the "best", and Michelle topped that off by hugging the Queen.  Good times. <_<

But Trump is the philistine that is rude and crude with no manners who doesn't know how to act in formal situations. ? 

39 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I laugh every time I read about the Obama's head of state gifts.  The ones to England were just about the "best", and Michelle topped that off by hugging the Queen.  Good times. <_<

But Trump is the philistine that is rude and crude with no manners who doesn't know how to act in formal situations. ? 

Don't forget that the British slighted Trump at every turn, by wearing tiaras, not letting him stay at Buckingham Palace as it was being renovated, and blah blah blah.

11 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Don't forget that the British slighted Trump at every turn, by wearing tiaras, not letting him stay at Buckingham Palace as it was being renovated, and blah blah blah.

The British press, which is usually very harsh, was pretty decent about the visit. I am sure it helped that they fell totally in love with Melania and her style.  Our press? ppffffttttt It was like two different events were happening. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The British press, which is usually very harsh, was pretty decent about the visit. I am sure it helped that they fell totally in love with Melania and her style.  Our press? ppffffttttt It was like two different events were happening. 

Anything to take away from the dumpster fire their Parliament reps is welcome now

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Do you have any links?  The only other site I frequent has a bunch of Brits saying how horrible the Trump visit was.  But, they are the biggest aholes on the internet.  I would just like to show them stories that don't quite match their view.  

11 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I agree that Obama giving an iPod full of his speeches is weird but. Give him a break on the movies.  It's not his fault if Britain uses a stupid encoding system.  Maybe they should get with the times.

18 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree that Obama giving an iPod full of his speeches is weird but. Give him a break on the movies.  It's not his fault if Britain uses a stupid encoding system.  Maybe they should get with the times.

damn metric system

moon-landing-there-are-countries-that-us

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

To be fair, our press had their stories written before he even landed in the UK.

• Haha (+1) 1

U.S. pursues sale of over $2 billion in weapons to Taiwan, sources say, angering China

China’s Defense Minister Wei Fenghe warned the United States at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore last weekend not to meddle in security disputes over Taiwan and the South China Sea.

Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan told the meeting that the United States would no longer “tiptoe” around China’s behavior in Asia.

• Like (+1) 2

Trump has already proved Team Obama was completely wrong about Iran

by David Harsanyi

Original Article

For years, the liberal foreign policy establishment presented Americans with a false choice on Iran: surrender or war. President Trump has proved that binary to be a fantasy, squeezing and deterring the Iranians without full-on confrontation.

“When I became president, Iran was a true state of terror,” Trump said in France this week. Now, “they are failing as a nation.” Not that his critics give him credit — or room to maneuver. As The Daily Beast reported last week, alumni of the Obama administration have been secretly in touch with the Iranians — no doubt to reassure the mullahs that if they wait out Trump, their fortunes will turn.

More at the link:

• Like (+1) 2

US hits Iran with new sanctions; petrochemicals targeted

The Trump administration is hitting Iran with new sanctions that target its largest petrochemical company for providing support to the Revolutionary Guard Corps. 

The Treasury Department says the sanctions will apply to the Persian Gulf Petrochemical Industries Company and 39 of its subsidiaries and foreign sales agents. It says the company holds 40% of Iran's petrochemical production capacity and is responsible for 50% of the country's petrochemical exports. Treasury says the companies have done billions of dollars of business with the Guard Corps, which the administration designated a "foreign terrorist organization" last month. 

</snip>

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yikes... 

Meh, this is nothing new. The Russians used to play these types of games back in the late 60's, when my dad was stationed on an oil tanker.

29 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

We should be more upset that there's a US cruiser named after a decisive Confederate victory.  

Oh hell, we had a submarine that was sunk in WW2 called the Robert E. Lee. I'll get upset when they name the first stealth aircraft carrier the "Osama bin Laden".

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Oh hell, we had a submarine that was sunk in WW2 called the Robert E. Lee. I'll get upset when they name the first stealth aircraft carrier the "Osama bin Laden".

No we didn't.  WWII subs were named after fish, except for a handful (Argonaut, Nautilis) named after mythical vessels.

The M3 Medium tank was named after Lee.  (The British renamed it the Grant - the difference was the British removed the commander's cupola, because with the cupola the damned thing was 11 feet tall and was just a great, big target in the open desert.)  Tanks were - and still are - named after generals; in WWII, (including tank destroyers) usually after Civil War generals (Lee, Stuart, Jackson, Sherman, Grant.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

No we didn't.  WWII subs were named after fish, except for a handful (Argonaut, Nautilis) named after mythical vessels.

The M3 Medium tank was named after Lee.  (The British renamed it the Grant - the difference was the British removed the commander's cupola, because with the cupola the damned thing was 11 feet tall and was just a great, big target in the open desert.)  Tanks were - and still are - named after generals; in WWII, (including tank destroyers) usually after Civil War generals (Lee, Stuart, Jackson, Sherman, Grant.)

I was wrong about it being sunk in WW2. It came after that:

https://www.navysite.de/ssbn/ssbn601.htm

USS ROBERT E. LEE was the fourth GEORGE WASHINGTON - class nuclear-powered fleet ballistic missile submarine and the first ship in the Navy to bear the name. The ROBERT E. LEE was built using components initially assembled for a SKIPJACK - class nuclear attack submarine. In the early 1980s, the ROBERT E. LEE was redesignated as SSN 601 and her missile launch capability was disabled to comply with the SALT I treaty. The ROBERT E. LEE mainly conducted training exercises in her new role before she was decommissioned on December 1, 1983. The submarine spent the following years berthed at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard awaiting her turn in the Navy's Nuclear Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program. Recycling of the ROBERT E. LEE was finished on September 30, 1991.

Posting this here, as he was a great source of Iran/MIddle East news and had bubbled up in this topic numerous times.

I know a number of people here follow the Twitter account of @HeshmatAlavi. This account has been suspended by Twitter due to accusations made against him in an article in that Heshmat Alavi is not a real person (because it's always a good idea to let your identity be known when criticizing a regime known for murdering dissidents, right?). 

This was the article that apparently was justification enough for Twitter to suspend the account:

AN IRANIAN ACTIVIST WROTE DOZENS OF ARTICLES FOR RIGHT-WING OUTLETS. BUT IS HE A REAL PERSON?

And a message/rebuttal from whomever is behind the Heshmat Alavi account:

https://irancommentary.wordpress.com/2019/06/09/my-twitter-account-has-been-suspended/

So, the real travesty, is that I guess the Pegula family dog account is next to go.

17 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Posting this here, as he was a great source of Iran/MIddle East news and had bubbled up in this topic numerous times.

I know a number of people here follow the Twitter account of @HeshmatAlavi. This account has been suspended by Twitter due to accusations made against him in an article in that Heshmat Alavi is not a real person (because it's always a good idea to let your identity be known when criticizing a regime known for murdering dissidents, right?). 

This was the article that apparently was justification enough for Twitter to suspend the account:

AN IRANIAN ACTIVIST WROTE DOZENS OF ARTICLES FOR RIGHT-WING OUTLETS. BUT IS HE A REAL PERSON?

And a message/rebuttal from whomever is behind the Heshmat Alavi account:

https://irancommentary.wordpress.com/2019/06/09/my-twitter-account-has-been-suspended/

So, the real travesty, is that I guess the Pegula family dog account is next to go.

The Pegula family dog is liberal, so it's probably safe.

• Like (+1) 1