Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

From the fans? If so I would say that statement is the definition over overly optimistic...

The tide has turned on Rex in a big, big way...It's obvious...No matter where I go...Here, Twitter, FB...It's really obvious folks are fed up with everything Rex...A couple more wins against the poor and handicapped is not going to change it... B-)

Twitter? Twits. FaceBook? Sheep only good for BBQ. Here? Led by trolls.

What is needed is serious look at what is working, what is not and Rex being told that changes will be reviewed or he will not being servicing as head coach. None of the stupid witch hunt. Rex claimed this was going to be his last coaching job and if he meant it then he will either agree or Bills should force him to back room roll since they have to pay him anyways maybe in film or metrics. If he does not WANT that job because he has another lined up (i.e. media) then he will need to quit. Yes it will make it more difficult to attract some head coaches who might flare out like Chip Kelly but that is not the type of coach we need in Buffalo.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills coaches/brain trust actually play out the string with Tyrod at QB, they are at best going to go 7-9 or 8-8 (perhaps even 6-10!).

In any case, Rex just has to go away, and Tyrod will not be extended... or the ticket window business will grind to a halt. We mostly agree that EJ will be advised to not let the door hit him in the ass on the way out of the facility Jan 2nd.

Which will leave us with an unknown Cardale as our only QB option for 2017. So exactly why isn't he playing, again? (Please save any and all "he's just too raw" responses... Dak was also thought to be too raw going into this year).

The ONLY way playing Tyrod through Jan 1 makes any sense at all is if he plays better than he ever has (or even just Seattle-like) & they win out. Russ and Doug may then actually be able to deflect some season-ticket cancellations in the name of continuity.

But this scenario seems so very unlikely as we sit here.

And if Tyrod is just the same limited-vision guy we have seen, and if we lose a few, plus he should get injured???... which would mean we then must pay his extension anyway per his contract?

I'll... I'll...

... I don't know what I'll do, but it might resemble something Michael Douglas' character in Falling Down would do.

My thoughts:

1) There is no question that Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon, and the Pegulas all wanted Rex.

2) I like Whaley why, but if he or people in his department are trying to throw Rex under the bus, they are being foolish. This could very well end up being a situation of be careful what you wish for, it just may come true.

3) I like Rex and want him to continue. Why

4) Rex has the highest winning percentage of any Buffalo Bills coach since Wade Philips (who also should not have been fired).

5) Rex has only coached the team for less than two years and, even before this year started, guys like Vic C were putting him on the hot seat. How is what the media says relevant? Do you think if Vic and the gang didn't exist, folks would not want Rex gone or something?

6) Gregg Williams got 48 games; Mularkey had 32 games (and could have had more); Jauron even had 57 games, Chan had 48 games. And all of those games proved to be a waste.

7) If you guys with the pitchforks get your way and Rex is fired after just two years, people in the front office (perhaps) backstabbing the coach,1 and with all of the injuries that this team has suffered, the suspensions, and lower tier QB play,2 how is this job going to be perceived by any quality coach? The question answer itself. I have a hard time believing that any quality head coach would want this job given the foregoing. What injuries? We have like 2 guys down on defense. No one is currently suspended. This place will have substandard QB play and injuries next year too, and Rex gets his third year and booted. We don't have a quality coach right now, so what difference does it make, truly? This is like sticking with TT because we might get another QB who also sucks. Who cares? He's not good enough, try another.

8) Whatever decision the Pegulas make, I really hope that it is based on what they perceive to be in the best interest of the football team on the field rather than an attempt to placate the pitchfork crowd here and in the media. Goes without saying. If the Pegulas are makign decisions based on Vic and the gang, we're doomed.

9) If the Bills do bring in another HC, it will be another case of rinse and repeat which does not have a great track record since Wade was let go. But wait, didn't you just show us all the games the rest of the bums had? So wouldn't it not be that? The true Bills way is giving a dead man walking coach a 3rd or 4th year then fire them.

10) If the Pegulas decide to keep Rex or let him go, I really hope that it works out. I am tired of one step forward and two steps back etc. I have a 14 and 8 year old - neither one has much if any interest in football and who could blame them. My mood would be a lot better if I did not care about this team as much as I do. It is part of my DNA and always will be. As a kid, I went to the games with my family and it is one of the great memories that I have of being with my Dad (who passed away) and is one of the reasons why I continue to be a Buffalo Bills season ticket holder even though I live in Miami. I hear ya. RIP to your dad.

11) Go Bills!

Just my two cents. Carry on with storming the Bastille.

1 I cannot say that I have any confidence in the reports of Vic Carucci or Jason La Canfora - especially JLCF. I also think that Vic is desperately trying to buttress his discredited report from way back. If my suspicion is correct, it is entirely possible that no one from the front office (Whaley or people under him) are throwing Rex under the bus. If they are, this is dumb given that it is entirely possible that the owners could decide to let all or most of them go as well.

2 I realize that some of you will say that Rex recommended the the Bills sign TT. Indeed, he did. TT was brought in to compete two other QBs whom DW brought in or helped bring in, and he was the best of a mediocre bunch. Rex was playing the cards dealt.

My thoughts:

1) There is no question that Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon, and the Pegulas all wanted Rex.

2) I like Whaley, but if he or people in his department are trying to throw Rex under the bus, they are being foolish. This could very well end up being a situation of be careful what you wish for, it just may come true.

3) I like Rex and want him to continue.

4) Rex has the highest winning percentage of any Buffalo Bills coach since Wade Philips (who also should not have been fired).

5) Rex has only coached the team for less than two years and, even before this year started, guys like Vic C were putting him on the hot seat.

6) Gregg Williams got 48 games; Mularkey had 32 games (and could have had more); Jauron even had 57 games, Chan had 48 games.

7) If you guys with the pitchforks get your way and Rex is fired after just two years, people in the front office (perhaps) backstabbing the coach,1 and with all of the injuries that this team has suffered, the suspensions, and lower tier QB play,2 how is this job going to be perceived by any quality coach? The question answer itself. I have a hard time believing that any quality head coach would want this job given the foregoing.

8) Whatever decision the Pegulas make, I really hope that it is based on what they perceive to be in the best interest of the football team on the field rather than an attempt to placate the pitchfork crowd here and in the media.

9) If the Bills do bring in another HC, it will be another case of rinse and repeat which does not have a great track record since Wade was let go.

10) If the Pegulas decide to keep Rex or let him go, I really hope that it works out. I am tired of one step forward and two steps back etc. I have a 14 and 8 year old - neither one has much if any interest in football and who could blame them. My mood would be a lot better if I did not care about this team as much as I do. It is part of my DNA and always will be. As a kid, I went to the games with my family and it is one of the great memories that I have of being with my Dad (who passed away) and is one of the reasons why I continue to be a Buffalo Bills season ticket holder even though I live in Miami.

11) Go Bills!

1 I cannot say that I have any confidence in the reports of Vic Carucci or Jason La Canfora - especially JLCF. I also think that Vic is desperately trying to buttress his discredited report from way back. If my suspicion is correct, it is entirely possible that no one from the front office (Whaley or people under him) are throwing Rex under the bus. If they are, this is dumb given that it is entirely possible that the owners could decide to let all or most of them go as well.

2 I realize that some of you will say that Rex recommended the the Bills sign TT. Indeed, he did. TT was brought in to compete two other QBs whom DW brought in or helped bring in, and he was the best of a mediocre bunch. Rex was playing the cards dealt.

How did giving all of those other bad Bills HC's "more games" work out? Your example argues against your point.

And spare us the "people with pitchforks" are "running (place name here) out of town". It doesn't work that way.

As for how other future HCs view the Bills as an opportunity--I'm sure it will attract plenty of interest. I can't imagine a single candidate turning down the opportunity simply because Pegula fires Rex after 2 years. That might be a plus for some---they might view it as the new owner quickly recognizing a horrible mistake and moving on.

My thoughts:

2) I like Whaley, but if he or people in his department are trying to throw Rex under the bus, they are being foolish. This could very well end up being a situation of be careful what you wish for, it just may come true.

5) Rex has only coached the team for less than two years and, even before this year started, guys like Vic C were putting him on the hot seat.

6) Gregg Williams got 48 games; Mularkey had 32 games (and could have had more); Jauron even had 57 games, Chan had 48 games.

7) If you guys with the pitchforks get your way and Rex is fired after just two years, people in the front office (perhaps) backstabbing the coach,1 and with all of the injuries that this team has suffered, the suspensions, and lower tier QB play,2 how is this job going to be perceived by any quality coach? The question answer itself. I have a hard time believing that any quality head coach would want this job given the foregoing.

8) Whatever decision the Pegulas make, I really hope that it is based on what they perceive to be in the best interest of the football team on the field rather than an attempt to placate the pitchfork crowd here and in the media.

9) If the Bills do bring in another HC, it will be another case of rinse and repeat which does not have a great track record since Wade was let go.

10) If the Pegulas decide to keep Rex or let him go, I really hope that it works out. I am tired of one step forward and two steps back etc. I have a 14 and 8 year old - neither one has much if any interest in football and who could blame them. My mood would be a lot better if I did not care about this team as much as I do. It is part of my DNA and always will be. As a kid, I went to the games with my family and it is one of the great memories that I have of being with my Dad (who passed away) and is one of the reasons why I continue to be a Buffalo Bills season ticket holder even though I live in Miami.

11) Go Bills!

Of course you are entitled your your opinion.

I am curious as to your thoughts on the D (or lack of) that Rex has brought to Buffalo.....I think its a valid point.

I certainly was hoping for a better record and better defense.

I know some don't care (so be it) but this team has been hit with a lot of injuries over the past couple of years (and one key player going on strike). With respect, to ignore the injuries of the past two years (or the MD suspension or SH suspensions for example) and their impact on wins and losses (and performance) is just not being fair. [The injuries were especially pronounced with our WRs and safeties]. The same thing with the QB play. I think Bill B. is a great coach. Nevertheless, I think guys on this board would be made to look pretty darn good if Tom Brady were the QB.

I have a different view from a lot of you guys. That's life. In my judgment, when I think that someone is not being treated fairly in the press, on this board, or in life, I speak up. I suppose that is the attorney in me.

Oh well. Have fun storming the Bastille. I have to take my 8 year old to a birthday party.

Edited by Peter

we are not the only ones with questionable practices

The University of Texas has spent nearly $54 million on football coaches in three years

http://www.businessinsider.com/university-texas-football-coaches-salaries-buyouts-2016-11

Oh great, in the same thread I get to read about how ****ty my College and Pro head coaches have been. :( *sigh*

Of course you are entitled your your opinion.

I am curious as to your thoughts on the D (or lack of) that Rex has brought to Buffalo.....I think its a valid point.

And unfortunately I think Rex is the type that peaks early and won't build that 5-10 year empire... yea, like with the jets but not just because of that. I think his schtick wears out, he requires a lot in place and he lacks the formality to really architect something that big. He's the type that excites guys out of the gate.

I have a different view from a lot of you guys. That's life. In my judgment, when I think that someone is not being treated fairly in the press, on this board, or in life, I speak up. I suppose that is the attorney in me.

rex had been at or under .500 for the last five years, yet still has a head coaching job. life has treated him more than fairly.

If Whaley wasn't prepared to be "on board" with the Rex hire, he shouldn't have been put on the list of candidates. Case closed.

Conspiracy theory! Before Rex was hired didn't the pegulas say they didn't even think he was available/interested or something like that. Could be Whaley didn't want him from the start and made him look unavailable.

My thoughts:

11) Go Bills!

always enjoy when you get into it Peter. Good post.

But burn the witches! Only way to rid the population of scurvy. only way.

Orange juice might work too

But who doesn't love a good witch burning? I mean, it's the weekend! WTH?

As much as I'm disappointed and am not a fan of Rex, if our owners want to give him one more year, I'd hate it, but actually respect it. (I know, that doesn't seem to make sense, but......)

PS - STAYING

If the Bills coaches/brain trust actually play out the string with Tyrod at QB, they are at best going to go 7-9 or 8-8 (perhaps even 6-10!).

In any case, Rex just has to go away, and Tyrod will not be extended... or the ticket window business will grind to a halt. We mostly agree that EJ will be advised to not let the door hit him in the ass on the way out of the facility Jan 2nd.

Which will leave us with an unknown Cardale as our only QB option for 2017. So exactly why isn't he playing, again? (Please save any and all "he's just too raw" responses... Dak was also thought to be too raw going into this year).

The ONLY way playing Tyrod through Jan 1 makes any sense at all is if he plays better than he ever has (or even just Seattle-like) & they win out. Russ and Doug may then actually be able to deflect some season-ticket cancellations in the name of continuity.

But this scenario seems so very unlikely as we sit here.

And if Tyrod is just the same limited-vision guy we have seen, and if we lose a few, plus he should get injured???... which would mean we then must pay his extension anyway per his contract?

I'll... I'll...

... I don't know what I'll do, but it might resemble something Michael Douglas' character in Falling Down would do.

The Bills have been mediocre, at best, for 18 years. Ticket sales will certainly not grind to a halt, or even decrease much now no matter what OBD decides. You overestimate, in my opinion, the average Bills fans requirement of a winner. Look at the entire history of the Bills, and even the Sabres. The average Bills fan requires only that the team stay in Buffalo to be loyal and financially support the team. You can argue if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is a thing.

Edited by CodeMonkey