Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If rex is gone in the offseason, how much more do we pay him over the next 3 yrs?

$5.5 million a season...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/18/rex-ryan-denies-knowing-hes-out-admits-not-talking-to-ownership-about-his-status/

“I talk to my owners all the time,” Ryan said. “I talk to them all the time. In fact, on Saturday we went in, we discussed our game-plan like we always do, so I talk to them all the time.”

So has he asked them if he’s getting fired?

“Well I know what my job is, my job’s to get this team ready to go and so that’s what’s important to me,” Ryan said. “I guess I’m a little more confident in myself, my abilities then maybe others are.”

That doesn’t make much sense. With rumors and reports mounting, at some point Ryan needs to say to Terry and/or Kim Pegula, “Do you want me here or not?”

Maybe Rex doesn’t want to start down that path because ego and pride eventually may prompt him to quit, walking away from his buyout. Or maybe he knows darn well what’s going on but doesn’t want to acknowledge it.

I have had that thought. The fans and media are very, very down on him. Weight of the drought is heavy.

As I have posted before, I want Rex to stay.

If the Pegulas decide to fire Rex for "marketing" reasons to placate the pitchfork crowd, I will be both surprised and disappointed in them.

I hope the Pegulas listen to guys like Shady and Wood etc. rather than certain guys who post here, work for TBN, and La Canfora.

$5.5 million a season...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/18/rex-ryan-denies-knowing-hes-out-admits-not-talking-to-ownership-about-his-status/

“I talk to my owners all the time,” Ryan said. “I talk to them all the time. In fact, on Saturday we went in, we discussed our game-plan like we always do, so I talk to them all the time.”

So has he asked them if he’s getting fired?

“Well I know what my job is, my job’s to get this team ready to go and so that’s what’s important to me,” Ryan said. “I guess I’m a little more confident in myself, my abilities then maybe others are.”

That doesn’t make much sense. With rumors and reports mounting, at some point Ryan needs to say to Terry and/or Kim Pegula, “Do you want me here or not?”

Maybe Rex doesn’t want to start down that path because ego and pride eventually may prompt him to quit, walking away from his buyout. Or maybe he knows darn well what’s going on but doesn’t want to acknowledge it.

I don't really think it is on Rex to ask questions like that, He is under contract. He should do his job and that seems like what he is doing. Good for him.

I have been somewhat anti-Rex, but it is only because of his antiquated defense. I was pro TT but have moved away from that because I haven't seen him progress.

I was overjoyed when Marrone left because he was a bag coach and a giant douche bag. Whether or not I agree with moves made after the season there will be no such joy in seeing Rex, Whaley and/or TT go. These are three people I would like to see succeed. I just don't know if I see it happening. Taylor in particular would be hard to see let go, but there is no way they can pay him that amount. It would restrict the rest of the team too much. There is a lot to like about him but he just can't seem to pull the trigger quickly enough . I don't know that I've seen too many other QBs change that habit over time. He is the type of kid I'd just love to see make it. It is clear he puts in a lot of work and has had a long climb. It would be sweet to see him make it...but not at $20M per on a wish and a hope.

If the Pegulas decide to fire Rex for "marketing" reasons to placate the pitchfork crowd, I will be both surprised and disappointed in them.

I hope the Pegulas listen to guys like Shady and Wood etc. rather than certain guys who post here, work for TBN, and La Canfora.

What if they decided to let Rex go because his defensive scheme needs a time machine set to 1998 to ever work again?

didn't he get hired for "marketing reasons" ... when half the stadium is empty and tickets are being given away, I'd say it's time for another strategy

didn't he get hired for "marketing reasons" ... when half the stadium is empty and tickets are being given away, I'd say it's time for another strategy

and by the way, did Rex's scheme ever really work? or was it that he had some of the best defensive players of the era on his team? ... I could have made Ray Lewis and gang look good, and I know nothing of defensive schemes

Edited by CSBill

I don't really think it is on Rex to ask questions like that, He is under contract. He should do his job and that seems like what he is doing. Good for him.

I have been somewhat anti-Rex, but it is only because of his antiquated defense. I was pro TT but have moved away from that because I haven't seen him progress.

I was overjoyed when Marrone left because he was a bag coach and a giant douche bag. Whether or not I agree with moves made after the season there will be no such joy in seeing Rex, Whaley and/or TT go. These are three people I would like to see succeed. I just don't know if I see it happening. Taylor in particular would be hard to see let go, but there is no way they can pay him that amount. It would restrict the rest of the team too much. There is a lot to like about him but he just can't seem to pull the trigger quickly enough . I don't know that I've seen too many other QBs change that habit over time. He is the type of kid I'd just love to see make it. It is clear he puts in a lot of work and has had a long climb. It would be sweet to see him make it...but not at $20M per on a wish and a hope.

What if they decided to let Rex go because his defensive scheme needs a time machine set to 1998 to ever work again?

If they were to decide to let him go for "football reasons," that would be one thing.

Where we disagree is his coaching and the circumstances of his record. Notwithstanding all that, he is still about as successful as any coach we have had since Wade.

I truly believe that any coach worth anything would look at the Bills job as a bad landing spot if ownership were to fire Rex after just two seasons - especially with what this team has been through the past few years.

The leaders on the team want Rex to stay. I think that says a lot more than anything Jason La Canfora or Vic Carucci or others can say. In the end, I would keep Rex for football reasons.

If you continue to do the same thing again and again, expecting different results, even though all you've experienced is failure- that's the definition of stupidity. Retaining Rex falls into that category: stupidity...Organizational Stupidity!

Continuity is a catch-phrase, and a capitulation. You're clinging to the present, even though it sucks, because you fear the uncertain. Embrace the unknown when what you DO know reeks of mediocrity. Rex reeks of mediocrity; Whaley reeks of mendacity (Will this be two coaches in a row that this GM hasn't been able to work with?)... Clean house!

The leaders of this team had a chance to stand up for their coach last Sunday and they blew.

Now they want him to stay?

They got beat. They did not give up, but they got beat.

I listened to Shady's post game press conference. He is a lot more convincing than you and your fellow crusaders.

If they were to decide to let him go for "football reasons," that would be one thing.

Where we disagree is his coaching and the circumstances of his record. Notwithstanding all that, he is still about as successful as any coach we have had since Wade.

I truly believe that any coach worth anything would look at the Bills job as a bad landing spot if ownership were to fire Rex after just two seasons - especially with what this team has been through the past few years.

The leaders on the team want Rex to stay. I think that says a lot more than anything Jason La Canfora or Vic Carucci or others can say. In the end, I would keep Rex for football reasons.

Well we agree on the reason to do or not do something. I think it should be for football reasons as you state.

We disagree about the circumstances of his record. His defensive scheme is out of date with today's NFL. It has failed against every good offense and it will continue to do so as it has for over half a decade. I think next year would be 8 consecutive years of bad defensive results. That is a football eternity. That system is done....that is the circumstance. If he adapted or REALLY turned over the reins to a competent DC I would actually be all for keeping him.

I don't think other coaches would look at the Bills as a bad landing spot because most of them probably realize that there are talented players here that were stuck in the grips of an obsolete defensive scheme.

and by the way, did Rex's scheme ever really work? or was it that he had some of the best defensive players of the era on his team? ... I could have made Ray Lewis and gang look good, and I know nothing of defensive schemes

I think Rex's track record says Rex is an average defensive coach. When he has above average talent, he produces above average results. When he has below average talent, he produces below average results.

Well we agree on the reason to do or not do something. I think it should be for football reasons as you state.

We disagree about the circumstances of his record. His defensive scheme is out of date with today's NFL. It has failed against every good offense and it will continue to do so as it has for over half a decade. I think next year would be 8 consecutive years of bad defensive results. That is a football eternity. That system is done....that is the circumstance. If he adapted or REALLY turned over the reins to a competent DC I would actually be all for keeping him.

I don't think other coaches would look at the Bills as a bad landing spot because most of them probably realize that there are talented players here that were stuck in the grips of an obsolete defensive scheme.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

P.S. As I posted in another thread, Rex dinosaur defense is averaging about the same yards against as Schwartzy's modern 21st century defense.

Edited by Peter

If you continue to do the same thing again and again, expecting different results, even though all you've experienced is failure- that's the definition of stupidity. Retaining Rex falls into that category: stupidity...Organizational Stupidity!

Actually firing Rex would be the your definition of stupidity. Swapping coaches every couple of years had been the constant in the drought.

And, as Peter said, what quality coach will come here with no QB after we hired a respected coach and **** can him after 2 years? This after the coach before him quit after 2years.

If we go with your anti-stupidity plan, we will have had 4coaches in the last 6 years and 5 in the last 8. Sounds like more of the same to me.

Actually firing Rex would be the your definition of stupidity. Swapping coaches every couple of years had been the constant in the drought.

And, as Peter said, what quality coach will come here with no QB after we hired a respected coach and **** can him after 2 years? This after the coach before him quit after 2years.

If we go with your anti-stupidity plan, we will have had 4coaches in the last 6 years and 5 in the last 8. Sounds like more of the same to me.

Very well said.

If we were talking about a coach with his first HC gig, I may have been convinced in favor of your argument. The problem with Ryan is that much of his HC book has been written. Both his teams have been failures. It comes down to not only his D which folds against good offenses, but also his approach and game planning which comes up short in key games. Also, I would like to believe that a HC influences the draft by making recommendations about which players would fit his system. With that premise, both of the last 2 drafts are showing up to be very underwhelming with their results. I really dont know if giving him 1 or 2 more years will fix his fundamental coaching flaws.

I agree. One more year for Rex. Have him rebuild his staff. No more "his guys." Bring in new blood and ideas. I want to see what they can do with a healthy team.