Please consider options before hiring Lynn/starting Jones

jahnyc

Bucky Gleason's article in the Buffalo News has me concerned. Keeping Whaley and elevating Lynn to head coach for next year seems like a recipe for disaster. If Rex is to be fired, then Whaley deserves to go as well. He has not assembled "superior" talent and he has made his share of poor moves. Please do not tell us that Jones is the answer at QB. It would be ridiculous for us to go into next season with Jones as our starting QB with Lynn as our head coach. Please run a real head coaching search. If Lynn is the best candidate, so be it, but please consider other candidates. Whaley's has not been able to get along with Rex or Marrone. There is a pattern here, and I do not care to get into a debate as to whether Whaley picked either head coach. We need a GM with better decision making abilities and the best available head coach. Please do not stick us with Whaley, Lynn and Jones for next season. It likely will be unwatchable and will delay the inevitable house cleaning.

Hiring Lynn as HC would be something Ralph would do. Sure he was thrown into the OC job. But at times he has called some head scratching plays. Yea maybe he is a great guy. But IMO he may be part of the problem not the solution. It would be a possible/likely disaster.

It has to start with firing Brandon, Whaley, and the clown twins. Amazing how many Whaley defenders still here and talking about all the talent he has brought in. Hughes was benched for a few plays and the luster of that trade has worn off. Clay blows. The team needs TWO starting receivers next year. it goes on and on.

Hiring Lynn as HC would be something Ralph would do. Sure he was thrown into the OC job. But at times he has called some head scratching plays. Yea maybe he is a great guy. But IMO he may be part of the problem not the solution. It would be a possible/likely disaster.

It has to start with firing Brandon, Whaley, and the clown twins. Amazing how many Whaley defenders still here and talking about all the talent he has brought in. Hughes was benched for a few plays and the luster of that trade has worn off. Clay blows. The team needs TWO starting receivers next year. it goes on and on.

What game were you watching?

Edit: I genuinely don't know how to evaluate the receivers on this team. It's very difficult to play that position when you hardly see the ball.

Edited by fridge

It's been over 3 years so obviously

While I agree on Lynn NOT being head coach, as I'm not sure he's even past mediocre as an OC, I'm still not sure about Whaley.

I get the distinct impression that a real coaching staff could have willed this talent to a better record the last two years.

What I dont like about Whaley is he is too busy as a GM. I don't recall a previous GM making roster move after roster move, in season.

If they kept him, it wouldn't kill me. If they let him go, who would they bring in.

It's been over 3 years so obviously

I like Hughes read Gleasons column. When he isn't getting PI's he gets benched for getting in a pissing match with a DC today. Maybe his hand is injured, but he has been a non factor for a few games. The guy needs to get his emotions in check. Maybe next year with a new staff he will get back to,what we want him too be. Dominant every game. The hoody** would have cut him by now. No,accountability at all.

Carucci suggests that Whaley seems to be secure. What "hot" coaching candidate would want to come here with a GM that is on his third head coach with a history of having problems getting along with the coaches? We are going to end up with Lynn.

Edited by jahnyc

It would be interesting to being in The Chin or Popeye. Then again I wouldn't mind Jim Schwartz or Wade at this point. I still hope we can keep our Offensive coaching staff in place.

If Rex insists on playing Tyrod then I would fire him this morning. If he's on board with not starting Tyrod at QB then I let him finish the year out. Yes, it's that simple.

Whaley has done a pretty good job at GM, if we were to let him go, his phone would blow-up with offers. Rex on the other hand will have to try to go back to being a DC and his HC days are over.

Carucci suggests that Whaley seems to be secure. What "hot" coaching candidate would want to come here with a GM that is on his third head coach with a history of having problems getting along with the coaches? We are going to end up with Lynn.

this is exactly what is going to happen. its the way of the Bills.

Then you wont even be able to suggest changes for 3 years in the interest of "continuity".... and when that time comes, when the streak is 20 years, it will be all Lynn's fault and the same people will be tasked with "finding" another coach.

this is exactly what is going to happen. its the way of the Bills.

Then you wont even be able to suggest changes for 3 years in the interest of "continuity".... and when that time comes, when the streak is 20 years, it will be all Lynn's fault and the same people will be tasked with "finding" another coach.

Rinse & Repeat

Bucky Gleason's article in the Buffalo News has me concerned. Keeping Whaley and elevating Lynn to head coach for next year seems like a recipe for disaster. If Rex is to be fired, then Whaley deserves to go as well. He has not assembled "superior" talent and he has made his share of poor moves. Please do not tell us that Jones is the answer at QB. It would be ridiculous for us to go into next season with Jones as our starting QB with Lynn as our head coach. Please run a real head coaching search. If Lynn is the best candidate, so be it, but please consider other candidates. Whaley's has not been able to get along with Rex or Marrone. There is a pattern here, and I do not care to get into a debate as to whether Whaley picked either head coach. We need a GM with better decision making abilities and the best available head coach. Please do not stick us with Whaley, Lynn and Jones for next season. It likely will be unwatchable and will delay the inevitable house cleaning.

While Whaley can be criticized for some of his moves he has also made some great ones. Neither Marrone or Rex were Whaley hires. I think if you give Whaley another shot he needs to be allowed to hire a coach instead of being forced to work with one. If the Pegula's are willing to do that then I think it's time to go another route at GM.

Whaley has done a pretty good job at GM, if we were to let him go, his phone would blow-up with offers.

With all due respect, I couldn't possibly disagree more with the above.

Whaley might get an offer or 2 to be a scout but that's about it. What owner would possibly want someone like him to come in and waste hundreds of millions of dollars AND trade away many of his best draft picks?

I want to see Rex fired but I'm concerned that the timing would be horrible. The potential candidates list does not look that impressive and neither does this upcoming QB class.

I'd cut him now. We could interview any coaching candidate we want. NFL, college, you name it. In terms of QB: get a FA, draft one, and Jones (perhaps TT on renegotiated contract) can battle it out.

I don't think getting a HC will be a problem. Whaley had to deal with St. Doug and Rex (I'm the best coach ever) Ryan along with big-mouth, small-defense Rob. Brandon needs to go with the Rex show. Let Whaley pick the HC.

With all due respect, I couldn't possibly disagree more with the above.Whaley might get an offer or 2 to be a scout but that's about it. What owner would possibly want someone like him to come in and waste hundreds of millions of dollars AND trade away many of his best draft picks?

"Hundreds of millions of dollars" and "many of his best draft picks"? I generally respect your comments but this one is a wee bit, um, over the top. The only trade I recall that's at all controversial is Sammy which is offset by the EJ trade down that got us Kiko which got us Shady, and by the Hughes trade. And to get to "wasting" hundreds of millions of dollars, you'd have to be including pretty much every player's contract since Whaley took the job. As I say, a wee bit over the top.

"Hundreds of millions of dollars" and "many of his best draft picks"? I generally respect your comments but this one is a wee bit, um, over the top. The only trade I recall that's at all controversial is Sammy which is offset by the EJ trade down that got us Kiko which got us Shady, and by the Hughes trade. And to get to "wasting" hundreds of millions of dollars, you'd have to be including pretty much every player's contract since Whaley took the job. As I say, a wee bit over the top.

yea, traded kiko? ok. teams spend to the cap but it's not whaleys fault tpegs hired a coach who had a different system where the high dollar guys couldn't have the gaudy stats they put up in the old system. get a 4-3 coach in here and watch this team get better immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the blurb from La Canfora about Lynn and Whaley, I am starting to feel like that the current mission for hiring a head coach is to find someone who will agree to prove Whaley right about EJ/Jones and trading up for Sammy.