CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

The argument is that the GM and HC do not report to each other and may have different agendas.

Well that argument is ridiculous. (Just my opinion)

At that point ownership needs to intervene. Ownership at a minimum should know by now if theyre keeping Whaley. If the Pegulas know theyre keeping Whaley, Whaley should know if hes keeping Rex and what hes going to do with TT. From there, the appropriate moves should be made. Or not made. Thats the thing. Maybe the fact that NOTHING has changed is telling in that more than likely nothing will change.

Regardless of anyone's position on TT, the fact that hes still starting right now with that injury clause is most telling of all. Either that or this is a ridiculously stupid gamble by the Bills franchise from Pegula to Whaley.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At that point ownership needs to intervene. Ownership at a minimum should know by now if theyre keeping Whaley. If the Pegulas know theyre keeping Whaley, Whaley should know if hes keeping Rex and what hes going to do with TT. From there, the appropriate moves should be made. Or not made. Thats the thing. Maybe the fact that NOTHING has changed is telling in that more than likely nothing will change.

Regardless of anyone's position on TT, the fact that hes still starting right now with that injury clause is most telling of all. Either that or this is a ridiculously stupid gamble by the Bills franchise from Pegula to Whaley.

The point being made is that Whaley has no dominion over Rex. Rex reports directly to ownership.

Agree that ownership should step in, as the way the Bills organization is structured Whaley has no authority over who plays quarterback.

How many different ways do I have to tell you, Whaley does not decide on whether to "keep" Rex.

Most likely, Rex is coaching to attempt to save his job, as I doubt he's been told he's done. Whaley is hoping against hope that TT shows him something in the next 3 games to warrant keeping him, thus ensuring his own job security. And Pegula is asleep but ready to can somebody if we have a losing record. I doubt he's making any decisions of who should go right now.

Edited by jmc12290

Then ownership can simply force Rex to not start TT. Again, if the front office does not intend on keeping Rex, then why are we starting TT? What happens if TT gets seriously injured Week 16? Is Whaley going into next season paying TT starter $$ to not be the starter?

I'm not arguing one way or another really since I don't personally know what they're thinking, but the fact that the franchise continues to start TT tells me one of the following:

1. Rex is not going to get fired (unless we fail to win another game).

2. The organization intends on picking up the TT option (in conjunction with #1 or even if Rex gets fired).

3. They are waiting to "officially" get eliminated from the playoffs in order to bench TT (to avoid possible injury) and/or fire Rex.

4. The front office has absolutely no clue what they intend to do (which at this point in time, is probably the scariest of the other 3).

Distinct possibilities:

1. Rex is not going to get fired - UNLESS they lose another game

&

2. The organization intends on pickup up the TT option unless he plays like crap from here on out and they lose another game

or

3. They are waiting to "officially" get eliminated before firing Rex and moving on from Tyrod

Ive said it before, maybe even in this thread...

Fire Rex, let Tyrod walk.

Make Whaley President of Football Ops

Promote Monos to GM before we lose him, he answers to Whaley

Let Whaley, and ONLY Whaley pick his next HC (maybe with some input from Monos, but not from above).

Whaley and Monos work with new HC to identify the QB they need.

And hopefully, Whaley would find an Offensive-minded, QB-centric coach. Build the staff a la Denver, Dallas, Philly, Green Bay, etc. Focus on QB success.

Let Whaley, and ONLY Whaley pick his next HC (maybe with some input from Monos, but not from above).

And hopefully, Whaley would find an Offensive-minded, QB-centric coach. Build the staff a la Denver, Dallas, Philly, Green Bay, etc. Focus on QB success.

I would be absolutely on board with all of this.

If other teams can win with their QB on suspension (Pats) or injured (Cowboys) or just playing bad (Packers). Why does Rex get a pass?

The buck stops with him. Everyone says you have to have great QB in this league... but do you really? We could play this game all day... Matt Castle just stinks, but he had a great record with the Pats, Colin Kaepernick is awful but went to a super bowl, etc.....

The Pegulas only made $26 million on their billion dollar investment last year.

That number stunned me considering the Bills made $44 million in income in 2014.

The Bills have been dead last in income for many, many years. Revenues is one thing but income is THE thing.

If you are Terry and Kim Pegula, I don't think you move that needle with "continuity" or "status quo" or a lousy product. They are losing out in the opportunities of making money in a limited access multi billion dollar sports monopoly.

Only the Bills would promote a GM who managed to get 8-8 twice. Boo this man.

Does Overdorf go as well and does Russ stay on with the sabres or cut ties with him completely?

Have trouble seeing him stick around with the sabres if they can him from the bills.

I hope this comes with a organization change which takes Brandon out of football decisions.

I don't know if anybody really knows for sure yet how that will play itself out, but I do know I am not alone in agreeing with that sentiment.

If other teams can win with their QB on suspension (Pats) or injured (Cowboys) or just playing bad (Packers). Why does Rex get a pass?

The buck stops with him. Everyone says you have to have great QB in this league... but do you really? We could play this game all day... Matt Castle just stinks, but he had a great record with the Pats, Colin Kaepernick is awful but went to a super bowl, etc.....

I will play along:

The Pats won . . . except when they played Rex and the Bills and the QB play was about equal.

The Cowboys are a better team and probably have the best offensive line in football.

The Packers have one more win than we do . . . and Aaron Rodgers is in a different stratosphere than TT.

I will play along:

The Pats won . . . except when they played Rex and the Bills and the QB play was about equal.

The Cowboys are a better team and probably have the best offensive line in football.

The Packers have one more win than we do . . . and Aaron Rodgers is in a different stratosphere than TT.

Well...Not trying to cherry pick your point...But I'm not sure a 3rd string injured rookie QB can be considered about equal to Tyrod...Even as bad as Tyrod can play at times...The Pats had nothing at QB that day...They literally gave up on that game in the 4th quarter because of it... B-)

Does Overdorf go as well and does Russ stay on with the sabres or cut ties with him completely?

Have trouble seeing him stick around with the sabres if they can him from the bills.

IMHO, Overdorf has been fine as a money guy since Ralph's handcuffs were removed.

No matter what we come up with, we need to plan on Russ staying. He isnt going anywhere. But in my fantasy scenario, Whaley answers directly to the Pegulas, and is basically an equal to Russ. Russ handles the business stuff (tickets, marketing, administration) and Whaley is in charge of ALL things Football related. My point here is to get ONLY Football people making Football decisions. Either make Whaley the man and give him a real chance, or bring in someone, but either way put them in full charge of Football.

IMHO, Overdorf has been fine as a money guy since Ralph's handcuffs were removed.

No matter what we come up with, we need to plan on Russ staying. He isnt going anywhere. But in my fantasy scenario, Whaley answers directly to the Pegulas, and is basically an equal to Russ. Russ handles the business stuff (tickets, marketing, administration) and Whaley is in charge of ALL things Football related. My point here is to get ONLY Football people making Football decisions. Either make Whaley the man and give him a real chance, or bring in someone, but either way put them in full charge of Football.

I have been advocating for exactly this for a while.

I thought Whaley already answered directly to the Pegula's and not Russ?

I thought Whaley already answered directly to the Pegula's and not Russ?

He technically does I guess, but given their current positions, Russ is higher up the chain. Or off to the side somewhere in between.

And that right there is a big part of the problem. Our Accountability Chart has too many question marks, dotted lines, and in-betweens.

I have been advocating for exactly this for a while.

Word. I know Im hardly the first to say it.

He technically does I guess, but given their current positions, Russ is higher up the chain. Or off to the side somewhere in between.

And that right there is a big part of the problem. Our Accountability Chart has too many question marks, dotted lines, and in-betweens.

Word. I know Im hardly the first to say it.

That's where I see the problem too. You got Whaley bringing in players from the draft/trades/FA and then Russ and Overdorf are setting their value. At no point should they be the ones responsible for it. Overdorf should at the very least be reporting to Whaley for contracts. Although it could be another dotted line like you mentioned.