CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

If Chennelly says Rex and Tyrod are out, then they are out.

He rarely tweets about inside news unless he knows.

I agree that when Joe Chennelly is a reliable source, but I just checked his time lien since Jason La Canfora's hit piece came out on Sunday, and I do not see a tweet from Joe saying that Rex is out.

Perhaps I am blind or he deleted it or there never was a tweet as such.

Edited by Peter

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Chennelly says Rex and Tyrod are out, then they are out.

He rarely tweets about inside news unless he knows.

I could have sworn there was another tweet from him, but I can't find it. It was tweeted right after this one below and was like a part 2 to it, but he must have deleted it. It said something to the effect that it's conjecture by the front office regarding them being kept (or his source) since wouldn't know if they were getting canned or not....

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly 11h11 hours ago

@nickellion79 Sweeping changes among coaches not front office. Of course, that's just an assumption by the front office.

I agree that when Joe Chennelly is a reliable source, but I just checked his time lien since Jason La Canfora's hit piece came out on Sunday, and I do not see a tweet from Joe saying that Rex is out.

The silence from the Bills thusfar is deafening. It may change, but it is of note.

If I know the Bills and Pegula... they usually meet these things with a fire extinguisher pretty quickly.

It is in this thread, I posted it....let me find it and add it here...

Edit: AS I posted on Page 24. You can find these under "Tweets & Replies" on his page

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly Dec 11

@pawlikIII I hear nothing of any rumors regarding Rex. I do hear that the opinion of Tyrod has shifted for the negative.

@nickellion79 Now hearing most all of One Bills Drive expects Rex to be gone immediately following the season. #BillsMafia

@nickellion79 Sweeping changes among coaches not front office. Of course, that's just an assumption by the front office.

Edited by Reed83HOF

Edit: AS I posted on Page 24. You can find these under "Tweets & Replies" on his page

@pawlikIII I hear nothing of any rumors regarding Rex. I do hear that the opinion of Tyrod has shifted for the negative.

@nickellion79 Now hearing most all of One Bills Drive expects Rex to be gone immediately following the season. #BillsMafia

This is what infuriates me b/c it's so like the Bills to do this half-ass BS. It makes zero sense. If the "front office" expects Rex to be gone at the end of the year, then why in high heaven are we starting TT? What is there to gain at this point? Is Whaley part of the "front office"? If so, why in the world would Whaley let Rex start TT?? It's as ass-backwards as it can get.

Either go all-in or all-out, but not down the middle.

Interesting. If all of this is true (and I am not sure at this point), it seems as though the "front office" is attempting to throw Rex under the bus to save themselves and create momentum for this. Hmmm. The "front office" guys who are spreading this (if in fact they are) better be careful . . . this may all backfire on them.

As for me, I am not in favor of firing our head coach (Rex or anyone else) after just two years. As for Rex, I believe he has been undercut by a number of different factors (injuries, suspensions, Mario on strike, inferior QB play).

I also do not think it is a good look to fire a guy after just two years if you expect to hire someone else of quality to replace the current coach.

Finally, it does not seem like the Pegulas' style (given their history) to fire Rex after just a couple of years. If they end up letting Rex go, this would surprise me. I am not saying it is impossible but it would surprise me.

Just my two cents.

This is what infuriates me b/c it's so like the Bills to do this half-ass BS. It makes zero sense. If the "front office" expects Rex to be gone at the end of the year, then why in high heaven are we starting TT? What is there to gain at this point? Is Whaley part of the "front office"? If so, why in the world would Whaley let Rex start TT?? It's as ass-backwards as it can get.

Whaley has no say. Rex controls the starters and doesn't report to Whaley.

The Bills have a very crappy and problematic organization structure and it's on the Pegulas for doing that. They screwed up, again.

Edited by jmc12290

The Bills have a very crappy and problematic organization structure and it's on the Pegulas for doing that. They screwed up, again.

I'm sure it won't happen, but he could always release Tyrod if it came down to it.

Then ownership can simply force Rex to not start TT. Again, if the front office does not intend on keeping Rex, then why are we starting TT? What happens if TT gets seriously injured Week 16? Is Whaley going into next season paying TT starter $$ to not be the starter?

I'm not arguing one way or another really since I don't personally know what they're thinking, but the fact that the franchise continues to start TT tells me one of the following:

1. Rex is not going to get fired (unless we fail to win another game).

2. The organization intends on picking up the TT option (in conjunction with #1 or even if Rex gets fired).

3. They are waiting to "officially" get eliminated from the playoffs in order to bench TT (to avoid possible injury) and/or fire Rex.

4. The front office has absolutely no clue what they intend to do (which at this point in time, is probably the scariest of the other 3).

Edited by bobobonators

Pouncey has been shelved by Miami. All of these games are highly winnable for the Bills. Honestly, I'll watch them, and I'll root for them to win big in all of them.

NY Day tickets are under $20 :) I'm guessing they will be free on game day.

That's going over Rex's head and probably makes Whaley look worse than anything. I'm sure he's calling Pegula and expressing his concerns to cover his ass.

It wouldn't be going over his head since Whaley controls the 53 with Rex in control of the gameday roster. It would no doubt cause a huge rift that would be even bigger than releasing Fred Jackson. At any rate, it won't happen.

Then ownership can simply force Rex to not start TT. Again, if the front office does not intend on keeping Rex, then why are we starting TT? What happens if TT gets seriously injured Week 16? Is Whaley going into next season paying TT starter $$ to not be the starter?

I'm not arguing one way or another really since I don't personally know what they're thinking, but the fact that the franchise continues to start TT tells me one of the following:

1. Rex is not going to get fired (unless we fail to win another game).

2. The organization intends on picking up the TT option (in conjunction with #1 or even if Rex gets fired).

3. They are waiting to "officially" get eliminated from the playoffs in order to bench and/or fire Rex.

4. The front office has absolutely no clue what they intend to do (which at this point in time, is probably the scariest of the other 3).

The ownership interfering in game day decisions is exactly the precedent you don't want to set when you are about to look for a new HC. Have you heard of the Browns?

It wouldn't be going over his head since Whaley controls the 53 with Rex in control of the gameday roster. It would no doubt cause a huge rift that would be even bigger than releasing Fred Jackson. At any rate, it won't happen.

Technically you're right, but when a HC says X is the starter and the GM cuts him, it's clearly evident of a major problem and Whaley already is surrounded by rumors of alienating HC's. Rex has a history of being stubborn too. Remember when he was forced to start Geno and ran 60 times in primetime? We don't want that level of dysfunction.

As for me, I am not in favor of firing our head coach (Rex or anyone else) after just two years. As for Rex, I believe he has been undercut by a number of different factors (injuries, suspensions, Mario on strike, inferior QB play).

I've generally been supportive of Rex, but there were easily 3 winnable games this year where the D wilted with a lead in the third quarter.

The ownership interfering in game day decisions is exactly the precedent you don't want to set when you are about to look for a new HC. Have you heard of the Browns?

Then fire Rex Ryan right now, and bench TT.

If the argument is that the Bills don't intend on resigning Rex, why let him dictate who's going to start? Especially if starting TT now and him getting injured can severely hamstring the Bills financially next season, when Rex isn't even here.

If the argument is that the Bills may keep Rex but not TT, then again, why start TT? Tell Rex, listen you're staying, but we aren't picking up the option on TT next year anyway, so lets avoid injury going forward.

The game day intervention argument went out the window when we have a decision to make on TT and we're 6-7 and basically out of the playoffs. It's either full steam ahead with what we have (coach and QB for next season), or we make changes now.

Then fire Rex Ryan right now, and bench TT.

If the argument is that the Bills don't intend on resigning Rex, why let him dictate who's going to start? Especially if starting TT now and him getting injured can severely hamstring the Bills financially next season, when Rex isn't even here.

If the argument is that the Bills may keep Rex but not TT, then again, why start TT? Tell Rex, listen you're staying, but we aren't picking up the option on TT next year anyway, so lets avoid injury going forward.

The argument is that the GM and HC do not report to each other and may have different agendas.

Firing Rex today or tomorrow does not solve any problems yet? Disrupting the entire team by putting an "interim coach" in now especially with who we have left to play this season is crazy? Let him finish the next three games and try for some continuity for three weeks? Yes this team has some talent on it! For a "defensive genius" that Ryan and his brother were both suppose to be, where has our defense gone in the past two years under the Ryan's other than straight south in the rankings? Why does know own ever talk about that defenses before the Ryan era? I do believe that Cardale Jones should get a look at moving forward, especially because of the money owed Tyrod Taylor in March? Just maybe if that doesn't work out then maybe the Pegula's throw out a blockbuster and trade up for one of the first three picks in next years upcoming draft and grab a QB to build around? Jay Cutler is not the answer and Tony Romo is only one hit away from a career that ends? What I do believe needs to happen is for the Pegula's to step up and take this franchise to a level of respectability that was talked about when they bought it? Clean house in that front office and bring in some new "football people", someone with some passion to succeed.? This team goes thru coaches like dirty underwear, but nothing ever happens to the people who make the decisions to hire them? "CLEAN THE HOUSE" -- TERRY PEGULA! I am more than sure Jimbo Kelly would love to see this franchise accomplish what he so desperately wanted back in the 1990's? Buffalo is a great football town and the fans of the Buffalo Bills deserve so much better!