CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

It will be seen as rash to all those people who aren't Bills fans, who don't give a **** about Bills success, and to someone like on Mike and Mike who said the same thing... He is a Jets fan of course he wants Rex another year.

Giving a coach more years only works if you hired the right staff. For !@#$s sake you can tell that it is not and will not work. This team is getting healthier yet they are getting worse!

It could be argued that all those non Bills' fans see things more clearly because they're not blinded by 17 years of frusteration.

Not saying we should keep Rex, I think hes done a bad job, but every 2 or so years fans always justify the firing of a HC and pretty much say, "this time is different!"

Im guilty of it too.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think you guys understand what Im saying, and Ive laid it out pretty plainly.

With regards to "Firing Rex right now, mid-season"... While you and I and everyone on this side of things may see it as something that should happen, people outside of the team will perceive it as the same old Bills who never stick with a coach. Even firing him after the season will get that perception. Right or wrong. It's ALREADY been said on talk shows on major media outlets when discussing the Bills this week.

Firing a Head Coach 1.5 years into a 5 year contract will be seen as rash, no matter the circumstance.

Firing a HC 2 years into a 5 year contract will be seen as rash by many.

Like it or not. We are still the Same Ol Bills.

3 years is SOP for teams like the Rams, Jags, and Bills. You are correct, and that is what everyone else is saying too.

And no, Cowher and Gruden arent saying "They should keep Rex". What they are saying is, "Another short coach life, what a **** show, no way would I work for that mess of a franchise."

All HC's have 5 year contracts dude. I think you are mistaken with how the league works. Also, the Jags have kept Gus for 4 years with a .230 winning percentage and the Rams kept Fisher for 5 years of 7-9.

The Raiders fired Dennis Allen after 2 years and look where they are. Denver fired Fox in his 3rd year after he went to a Super Bowl. Chip Kelly was fired after 10-6, 10-6, 7-9. Lovie got fired from Tampa in 2 years. Chicago fired Trestman after 2 years. Miami fired the corpse guy after 3 years. It's all about expectations and the expectations of the Bills is not a terrible defense with no chance of the postseason under Rex.

I know it's easy to say "bottom feeder organizations are the only ones who do this stuff," but it's just not true.

Edited by jmc12290

It could be argued that all those non Bills' fans see things more clearly because they're not blinded by 17 years of frusteration.

Not saying we should keep Rex, I think hes done a bad job, but every 2 or so years fans always justify the firing of a HC and pretty much say, "this time is different!"

Im guilty of it too.

this is a good place to post this article. Just another angle to consider...

Bills playoff drought shouldnt factor into Pegulas decisions

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/12/12/13918804/bills-rex-ryan-playoff-drought-shouldn-t-factor-into-pegulas-decisions

Eh, I'm not too worried about the optics of firing Rex in December or January. The stain of Ralph's cheapness has not followed the Pegulas. They are well-regarded throughout the league as solid owners who are willing to invest resources to support their front office and head coaches. Rex was given a TON of leeway to hire as many assistant coaches as he wanted, including personal relatives. Everything he asked for from a personnel standpoint, including his own hand-picked QB, was given to him. He was allowed to rid the roster of once-productive players who didn't buy into his system. Coaches who sparred with him were shown the door. Rex hung himself, and I'm fairly certain the entire league (and Rex) understands this.

The incoming coach will inherit a solid roster with a respected GM and ownership group. The Pegulas will not make money an issue - the incoming coach will be very well-paid. They'll have no trouble attracting candidates.

All HC's have 5 year contracts dude. I think you are mistaken with how the league works. Also, the Jags have kept Gus for 4 years with a .230 winning percentage and the Rams kept Fisher for 5 years of 7-9.

The Raiders fired Dennis Allen after 2 years and look where they are. Denver fired Fox in his 3rd year after he went to a Super Bowl. Chip Kelly was fired after 10-6, 10-6, 7-9. Lovie got fired from Tampa in 2 years. Chicago fired Trestman after 2 years. Miami fired the corpse guy after 3 years. It's all about expectations and the expectations of the Bills is not a terrible defense with no chance of the postseason under Rex.

I know it's easy to say "bottom feeder organizations are the only ones who do this stuff," but it's just not true.

Owned!

Yeah, as much as in pains me to say it, that writer is spot in.

Great article. i'll add that there is always going to be a disconnect between ownership and fans.

I've been a fan of the team for a long time. When the Bills lost to the Redskins in the second Super Bowl, fans were screaming for a complete shakeup: Fire Levy, fire Polian, trade Bruce Smith for 10 players because he didn't sack Mark Rypien, etc etc etc. The first loss to the Cowboys? Fans were calling on Ralph to sell the team to someone "who could win".

The fans of this team aren't any different from any other franchise. When the team wins, everybody's happy. When the team loses...........

Eh, I'm not too worried about the optics of firing Rex in December or January. The stain of Ralph's cheapness has not followed the Pegulas. They are well-regarded throughout the league as solid owners who are willing to invest resources to support their front office and head coaches. Rex was given a TON of leeway to hire as many assistant coaches as he wanted, including personal relatives. Everything he asked for from a personnel standpoint, including his own hand-picked QB, was given to him. He was allowed to rid the roster of once-productive players who didn't buy into his system. Coaches who sparred with him were shown the door. Rex hung himself, and I'm fairly certain the entire league (and Rex) understands this.

The incoming coach will inherit a solid roster with a respected GM and ownership group. The Pegulas will not make money an issue - the incoming coach will be very well-paid. They'll have no trouble attracting candidates.

While it will certainly be better than before because the resources are available... a potential hang-up is what kind of influence does the new HC have. Does he have control of his own destiny/career/legacy... or is he going to need to capitulate to Russ Brandon in cut meetings. The power structure here has been a turn-off as much as the $ aspect. We have had 2 coaches (our best 'drought' coaches) voluntarily walk the plank here in 10 years. That should ring alarms.

To get a white whale coach, you need to offer influence/power as much as the $.

this is a good place to post this article. Just another angle to consider...

Bills playoff drought shouldnt factor into Pegulas decisions

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/12/12/13918804/bills-rex-ryan-playoff-drought-shouldn-t-factor-into-pegulas-decisions

The article is a bit cherry-pickey

This season.... IF they win the final 3 games and finish 9-7 is held up as a success. I disagree. This schedule broke the Bills' way and was a cake-walk. They have the current consensus bottom 4 power ranked team on their schedule, as well as the #26 or #27 team on there twice (Jets). New England with a hurt 3rd string QB was a tomato can too. Yeah, I guess we should congratulate them for not being in that group. They have a total of 4 current playoff teams on their schedule, and outside of the Seattle game, they folded up against each other one (New England, Oakland, and Pittsburgh). Then you have the 'similar' non-playoff teams of Baltimore and Miami, and they got beat up there too. Every time things mattered, they folded badly. Out by late November/early December. Same identical pattern.

It also says:

"Look at it this way... if you took over a business that had failed for years (which is essentially what the Pegulas did), hired some of your own people to leadership positions but didn’t see profits crawl out of the negatives in the two years, would you start firing and re-hiring again?"

l don't think they hired anyone for leadership positions.... at least on the side of the operation that matters to me. They kept everyone who was there for pre-Pegula. Nobody there involved on that side has proven to be worthy of continuing IMO, and an organizational rebuild is about 12 years overdue.

I would be in support of giving everything 1 more year.... actually moreso than just replacing the coach and hoping for the best again and going through the cycle of "new coach, new system needs personnel" to "continuity" to "he sucks get him out of here it is all his fault"

Edited by May Day 10

While it will certainly be better than before because the resources are available... a potential hang-up is what kind of influence does the new HC have. Does he have control of his own destiny/career/legacy... or is he going to need to capitulate to Russ Brandon in cut meetings. The power structure here has been a turn-off as much as the $ aspect. We have had 2 coaches (our best 'drought' coaches) voluntarily walk the plank here in 10 years. That should ring alarms.

To get a white whale coach, you need to offer influence/power as much as the $.

This

Great article. i'll add that there is always going to be a disconnect between ownership and fans.

I've been a fan of the team for a long time. When the Bills lost to the Redskins in the second Super Bowl, fans were screaming for a complete shakeup: Fire Levy, fire Polian, trade Bruce Smith for 10 players because he didn't sack Mark Rypien, etc etc etc. The first loss to the Cowboys? Fans were calling on Ralph to sell the team to someone "who could win".

The fans of this team aren't any different from any other franchise. When the team wins, everybody's happy. When the team loses...........

During the 1988 - 1999 time period, fans including myself would get livid just losing a regular season game thinking the world was coming to an end! We had different expectations then.

We are saying "fans" wanted Ralph Wilson to sell the team to a winner, and to fire Polian during the Super Bowl runs.... but what percentage is that? <1% I am sure. I don't remember hearing that. I do remember a larger percentage calling for Reich to start over Kelly near the end... but again, that was like <2% and had the mouthpiece of calling WGR and WBEN, etc...

At this point, fans, I would say a large majority... >90% are pretty fed up and would welcome a wholesale change with open arms and excitement, even if it meant taking an initial step back. Fans of other teams I know feel like major change is needed (and laughed about Rex Ryan initially). I think any neutral observer would see that the Bills and the Pegulas could use a large amount of guidance at this point.

Is there any point where LaConjecture loses any credibility?

It seems like every thing he puts out is wrong- sent this fan base into a tizzy with apparently baseless info-

I have inside information that it will get dark tonight and light again tomorrow-

I am instantly more accurate than LaConjecture

I don't feel like he has any real credibility amongst insiders. It is clear his reports are just fodder for the 24 hour news cycle to keep churning. He made several claims this weekend and both of them wound up being patently false.

I don't feel like he has any real credibility amongst insiders. It is clear his reports are just fodder for the 24 hour news cycle to keep churning. He made several claims this weekend and both of them wound up being patently false.

I'm sure he has done enough favors for GM's, coaches and agents by now. He won't be going anywhere soon.

Listened to Peter King yesterday on his weekly segment on Sirius. When asked about Rex he seemed frustrated. Said franchises like Buffalo don't ever learn that if you follow history you are doomed to repeat it. Said every time an AFC East team fires their coach after 2 years that Bob Kraft high fives everyone around his organization. Because he knows the Pats will continue to dominate while the other clubs constantly change and try to rebuild. King did admit that if the Bills lose 2 of the final 3 games or all of them then he'd expect Rex to get fired.

I get that Peter King is advocating for continuity and some "tweaks" instead of wholesale changes,, but you can't argue that in must win situations in their last 5 games the Bills are 2-3 and lost to the three good teams they played. The club still cannot beat winning teams in crunch time.

Is there any point where LaConjecture loses any credibility?

It seems like every thing he puts out is wrong- sent this fan base into a tizzy with apparently baseless info-

I have inside information that it will get dark tonight and light again tomorrow-

I am instantly more accurate than LaConjecture

La Canfora is horrible and obviously pushing an agenda - probably on behalf of someone as he did with the Marrone being hired by the Jets stuff that he presumably did for Jimmy Sexton.

He also seems to have it in for Rex in a way that suggest that it is personal.

Listened to Peter King yesterday on his weekly segment on Sirius. When asked about Rex he seemed frustrated. Said franchises like Buffalo don't ever learn that if you follow history you are doomed to repeat it. Said every time an AFC East team fires their coach after 2 years that Bob Kraft high fives everyone around his organization. Because he knows the Pats will continue to dominate while the other clubs constantly change and try to rebuild. King did admit that if the Bills lose 2 of the final 3 games or all of them then he'd expect Rex to get fired.

I get that Peter King is advocating for continuity and some "tweaks" instead of wholesale changes,, but you can't argue that in must win situations in their last 5 games the Bills are 2-3 and lost to the three good teams they played. The club still cannot beat winning teams in crunch time.

I agree with Peter King.

Whether you like Rex or not (I like Rex), firing him is NOT a good look and reinforces the notion that HC of the Bills is not a good job. If the Bills were to fire Rex, I would be surprised if we were able to hire a real top tier candidate unless they overpay the guy.

Which top tier guy wants to go to a job where the shelf life is two years even when the HC has been undercut by substandard QB play, numerous injuries, and suspensions.

Be careful what you wish for Rex Haters.

Pegula needs to make this decision, it isn't a rash decision it is the only one that actually makes sense.

You should go to Pegasus and offer your resume.

I think based on your record that it will support opposite position but the Pegulas need to learn to not listen to media or fans, neither able to think objectively and determine what makes sense.

IMO I think it was the mistake was in interview process that the Pegulas did not further push Rex on what his plans were and whether he could use some of the staff already under contract to reduce impact of changes but that has always been my posted opinion that you do not want to throw away the baby with the bath water.