CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

Oh come ON. The defense screwed us by letting Bell walk all over them for 300 yards. Carpenter did not screw us by not converting on a play that 80% of the time doesn't work.

Serious question: Do you struggle with reading? Is English not your first language? Because if not, then you are just the most dense posters I have seen around here in a long time or you are just some child who is working on his masters on being a complete clown. Your consistency with changing what other posters say, making garbage up, and mostly contributing nothing of value to any conversation on this board is nearing record levels around here.

I did not on any level hang the loss on Carp. What I said was, this team played TERRIBLE...do you understand the word TERRIBLE? I said that despite how terrible it was of a game, the team found itself in position to possibly steal a game we had NO BUSINESS WINNING. Carpenter removed that small window by botching the only thing he is paid to do...kick the ball properly. The onside kick has zero possibility to be completed when you botch the kick and kick it straight out of bounds before it goes 10 yards. None of that disregards Bell's insane game...none of it. Bell's utter destruction to this defense has zero relevance in my comment of Carpenters failure (actually twice failure since he missed the XP again just before the botched onside attempt) to give us a shot at stealing a game we had no business winning.

But I get it...every week you literally bask in the losing...and I am sure it was a glorious Sunday for you and you find it offensive this team even had a remote chance of winning.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is correct and it might make him a good GM or Team President. But not a gameday coach, especially when he's been away from the game for so long.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating hiring him. I just think he's unjustly maligned when critics neglect the staffs he built. He had really creative assistant coaches for years surrounding him. Same with Parcells.

Serious question: Do you struggle with reading? Is English not your first language? Because if not, then you are just the most dense posters I have seen around here in a long time or you are just some child who is working on his masters on being a complete clown. Your consistency with changing what other posters say, making garbage up, and mostly contributing nothing of value to any conversation on this board is nearing record levels around here.

I did not on any level hang the loss on Carp. What I said was, this team played TERRIBLE...do you understand the word TERRIBLE? I said that despite how terrible it was of a game, the team found itself in position to possibly steal a game we had NO BUSINESS WINNING. Carpenter removed that small window by botching the only thing he is paid to do...kick the ball properly. The onside kick has zero possibility to be completed when you botch the kick and kick it straight out of bounds before it goes 10 yards. None of that disregards Bell's insane game...none of it. Bell's utter destruction to this defense has zero relevance in my comment of Carpenters failure (actually twice failure since he missed the XP again just before the botched onside attempt) to give us a shot at stealing a game we had no business winning.

But I get it...every week you literally bask in the losing...and I am sure it was a glorious Sunday for you and you find it offensive this team even had a remote chance of winning.

You said he "screwed" us. Don't blame me for your poor choice of words. You singled him out as the reason we didn't win.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating hiring him. I just think he's unjustly maligned when critics neglect the staffs he built. He had really creative assistant coaches for years surrounding him. Same with Parcells.

Based on what Simon said, I text a couple friends who are long time Steeler fans. They were not as negative as Simon, but also uttered some of the same sentiments and more or less agreed with him. Basically said his best attribute was discipline and the staff around him.

So, I will trust Simon's and their opinions given how much more experience they had on a game to game basis over the years watching him and cross him off my list which was him and Coughlin. To be honest, I am not the biggest Coughlin fan as his teams commonly started slow and in 2 seasons clicked late to make a surprising SB run and victory.

I just have seen us go after hot assistants to see them fail so many times. And with a roster that has enough talent to contend, I would prefer a guy who at least commands respect from the players with a winning resume and a history of discipline. I absolutely dont want McDaniels or any retread garbage like him where the team (Pats) made him look good, but when he left that team he looked like a joke.

You said he "screwed" us. Don't blame me for your poor choice of words. You singled him out as the reason we didn't win.

He did screw us...at that moment in time, we had a chance to secure an onside and tie the game. And had he not MISSED the XP again, that onside could have set us up to potentially WIN the game.

Carpenter failed this team on 2 consecutive plays that required him to do his job. In regards to the onside kick, his ONLY job is to put the ball in a place that gives our team a chance to recover. He shanked the kick behind our own players less than 10 yards and straight out of bounds. He screwed the team at that moment as I said PERIOD and its NOT even debatable. Man you are the worst

Edited by Alphadawg7

He did screw us...at that moment in time, we had a chance to secure an onside and tie the game. And had he not MISSED the XP again, that onside could have set us up to potentially WIN the game.

Carpenter failed this team on 2 consecutive plays that required him to do his job. In regards to the onside kick, his ONLY job is to put the ball in a place that gives our team a chance to recover. He shanked the kick behind our own players less than 10 yards and straight out of bounds. He screwed the team at that moment as I said PERIOD and its NOT even debatable. Man you are the worst

Lol fire Carpenter! He's the problem. Rex is a master motivator. Just ask Leveon. Or Kirk Cousins last year!

Edited by jmc12290

Lol fire Carpenter! He's the problem. Rex is a master motivator. Just ask Leveon. Or Kirk Cousins last year!

lmao, thats about the dumb response I come to expect from you. Its Rex fault that Carpenter can't make an XP and botched onside. You are literally too stupid to talk to. In your world firing Rex and cutting Taylor makes us undefeated...no one else makes mistakes on this team.

Carpenter absolutely needs to be cut, not to save anyone else's job, but because he is not good at his job. He has missed 9 XP's in 2 seasons, not mention several more in preseason. He needs to go even if we had the greatest coach alive.

TT should be inactive for the last three games. Even these idiots know if he gets hurt they own that contract.

I like TT a lot and I don't want to see this happen but if you're going to inactivate him for 3 games for fear of getting injured and you know you're not picking up the option, wouldn't you just straight out cut him a la Glove Wearing Mary? He could get hurt in practice or in the shower.

I'm suggesting if your takeaway from yesterday is "Carpenter screwed this team and Rex motivates his guys to fight and play hard and be competitive," we live in different dimensions.

Yes we do...I live in a dimension where I know how to read and comprehend. You live in a dimension of mental struggles to comprehend the english written language.

The fact you think I claim Rex is a master motivator, words I never said, and that the only reason we lost was because of Carpenter tells me you are utterly too stupid to speak to. Your only agenda is manipulate things to mean different things so you can troll them and make an a** out of yourself. Let me know how that works out for you in life...

I recognize I phrased it poorly based on how people have focused and respond to that one comment. So to clarify again, it was a terrible game, which I stated. I was not touting the team fought the whole game. However, the fact remains as bad as it was, the team had a small chance to actually win that game had Carpenter not screwed us again. We could have stolen a game we had no business winning. By NO MEANS does that validate or justify the rest of the game, but even in our ugliest of losses, this team was still sniffing around at the end. We have had few games where we just weren't competitive under Rex for a team that commonly won Ugly and lost Uglier.

So my comment was more pertaining to the last 2 years, and probably should have left yesterdays game out of the point.

You have made the point that Rex isn't the only reason why the Bills are losing in your tepid support of him. Well that is a weak position to take in arguing for his retention because no one person in this organization or any organization is the sole reason why a particular franchise fails.

Rex was simply a bad hire who was fired from the previous job where his overall record was a losing record. His philosophy of the game and view of the NFL of today is archaic. The rule structure of the NFL is predicated on offense and the passing game. Rex has a slogging foot soldier mentality in the modern era of jets and missiles. He is a WWI general whose vision of the battlefield is fixed lines. Simply put his football philosophy is outdated.

The one thing that Rex proudly proclaims to anyone who is foolish enough to listen to his bluster is his expertise on the defensive side of the ball. Yet the reality is that on that side of the ball he is a dismal failure. He took a defense headed by two different DCs, Pettine and Schwartz, and he dramatically diminished that unit.

It's time for a change. We might not find the right replacement but what we know for sure is that what we currently have isn't working. What is obvious to most people is that bluster and the ability to draw attention to oneself doesn't trump discipline and intelligence.

There are many weaknesses plaguing this team. The primary one is the qbing situation. But one thing I can say for sure is that the caliber of our HC and his competency in general is without question is more of a liability than it is an asset. Getting rid of Rex may not resolve the many issues that this franchise is dealing with but at the minimum it is a step in the right direction.

I'm suggesting if your takeaway from yesterday is "Carpenter screwed this team and Rex motivates his guys to fight and play hard and be competitive," we live in different dimensions.

Here's some undeniable facts from yesterday's game:

- Down 14 (due to a missed PAT), our offense scored a TD with 1:25 left on the game clock to bring the deficit to 7.

- In order to recover an onside kick, the ball must travel 10 yards down field. Carpenter kicked a ball that went out of bounds approximately 4 yards down field from where it was kicked, removing any of what slim chance for a comeback remained.

Does that absolve any other play from the day like allowing 225+ yards and 3 TD's on the ground or a stagnant offense through the first 3 quarters? No, but make no mistake, Carpenter was the final nail in the coffin of any comeback chances.

Here's some undeniable facts from yesterday's game:

- Down 14 (due to a missed PAT), our offense scored a TD with 1:25 left on the game clock to bring the deficit to 7.

- In order to recover an onside kick, the ball must travel 10 yards down field. Carpenter kicked a ball that went out of bounds approximately 4 yards down field from where it was kicked, removing any of what slim chance for a comeback remained.

Does that absolve any other play from the day like allowing 225+ yards and 3 TD's on the ground or a stagnant offense through the first 3 quarters? No, but make no mistake, Carpenter was the final nail in the coffin of any comeback chances.

TT has led a single game winning drive in his whole career. Technically, you're right but c'mon. 80% of onside attempts fail, and even if we get the ball. you just know we aren't marching down the field and scoring.

I understand a botched onside is weak, but I ain't fretting about that after yesterday. Far down my list of grievances.

Edited by jmc12290

What if Rex goes 9-7?

How does this team, which hasn't made the playoffs in the modern NFL era, justify firing a HC with an overall winning record here?

I'm troubled that someone in the organization apparently felt the need to leak these rumors right before a huge home game that the team had to have.

Seems there are big problems in the front office that have not been resolved.

TT has led a single game winning drive in his whole career. Technically, you're right but c'mon. 80% of onside attempts fail, and even if we get the ball. you just know we aren't marching down the field and scoring.

I understand a botched onside is weak, but I ain't fretting about that after yesterday. Far down my list of grievances.

Not that it's a big difference, but it's 2, right? Jags this year and Tenn last year? My grievances about Carp are based on the season's body of work, not just yesterday's. He's one of many things that simply aren't good enough.

What if Rex goes 9-7?

How does this team, which hasn't made the playoffs in the modern NFL era, justify firing a HC with an overall winning record here?

I'm troubled that someone in the organization apparently felt the need to leak these rumors right before a huge home game that the team had to have.

Seems there are big problems in the front office that have not been resolved.

I think it goes back to the quality of the wins/opponent. 0 wins in two seasons against teams with winning records (And no I don't count winning against a Brady-less Pats team). Also he's current 14-15 overall so not sure where you get a winning record.

Edited by The Wiz

You have made the point that Rex isn't the only reason why the Bills are losing in your tepid support of him. Well that is a weak position to take in arguing for his retention because no one person in this organization or any organization is the sole reason why a particular franchise fails.

Rex was simply a bad hire who was fired from the previous job where his overall record was a losing record. His philosophy of the game and view of the NFL of today is archaic. The rule structure of the NFL is predicated on offense and the passing game. Rex has a slogging foot soldier mentality in the modern era of jets and missiles. He is a WWI general whose vision of the battlefield is fixed lines. Simply put his football philosophy is outdated.

The one thing that Rex proudly proclaims to anyone who is foolish enough to listen to his bluster is his expertise on the defensive side of the ball. Yet the reality is that on that side of the ball he is a dismal failure. He took a defense headed by two different DCs, Pettine and Schwartz, and he dramatically diminished that unit.

It's time for a change. We might not find the right replacement but what we know for sure is that what we currently have isn't working. What is obvious to most people is that bluster and the ability to draw attention to oneself doesn't trump discipline and intelligence.

There are many weaknesses plaguing this team. The primary one is the qbing situation. But one thing I can say for sure is that the caliber of our HC and his competency in general is without question is more of a liability than it is an asset. Getting rid of Rex may not resolve the many issues that this franchise is dealing with but at the minimum it is a step in the right direction.

Lets be clear, I am not leading the "Keep Rex" campaign. By no means am I trying to sway opinion on him, everyone has their opinion. That being said, I am just in the camp that doesn't see Rex as big of a problem as he gets painted to be. A large portion of the anti Rex crowd was anti Rex before he got here and when he got hired before he coached one play. There is no denying he faced a bigger challenge of approval around here having come from the Jets where many people already didn't like him. So, whether people want to agree or not, my opinion is that he gets exponentially more blame for things because there is already a big anti Rex crowd from day 1.

By no means has Rex been perfect and I have lashed out at him for some mistakes the past 2 years just like others. But I also recognize that a lot of what is blamed on him has been out of his control, over exaggerated, and in some cases just flat out wrongly put on him.

My opinion is simple...I dont think he is nearly as bad as some of the over exaggerated negative opinions of him and I dont believe replacing him magically fixes this team. If we do, so be it, I wont fight it by any means.