CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

looking at stats from E.J. last year when we were behind both games againts Bengals and Jacksonville . When behind 99.9 qb rating 69.2% com pct. 8.1 yards per att. This year when Taylor was behind 86.1 qb rating. 61.6 com. pct. 7.5 yds per att. When behind by 9-16 pts Taylor 63.7 com. pct . 7.4 yds att. And E.J. 66.7 com pct. 7.3 yds att. One guy has 16 starts and the other has 26 starts. 16 starts for a qb is not a lot of starts. He still can get better. 26 starts you have a better idea of what you have. Everybody talks about E.J. games againts Giants and Jacksonville. Both games were close. Yes he played bad againts Jacksonville in the beginning . But didn't let it get him down, he kept slinging it, Wasn't scared to throw the ball like I see Taylor looked. 16 starts compare to 26 starts one had most of his starts in first two years in the NFL and the other 5 years sitting and learning in the NFL. Both raw coming out of college. I would think a QB sitting for 5 years before he gets to start would be better than somebody just coming out of college. Both being raw that is.

Dude. Didn't you also spend a lot of time apologizing for JP Losman back in the day?

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not hard to tell when players quit on the coach and that was obvious yesterday. Factor in things like Hughes getting in arguments with the staff and you have a team that doesn't believe in or want to play for the coach. That is something that is not going to just go away by keeping the status quo.

I didn't see enough of a fight in yesterday's game to warrant this. They came out flat and stayed that way for most of the game. The lack of compete by the D in the run game was astounding.

I already said it somewhere else but it was so glaringly stark that I think it bears repeating.

After the firing reports came out on Sunday morning, watching this team flat-out quit on their coach 30 seconds into Sunday's game could not have sent a clearer message. It was one of the most clear and damning votes of no confidence I have ever seen a team give its coach at any level and I find it utterly incomprehensible that anybody could view it in any other light.

I am just going to say this...

I dont necessarily believe Rex is the problem and gets more of the blame than warranted. Granted, that comes with the job as a HC, but he isn't the guy out there seeing the field for Taylor when he doesnt see wide open options. He isn't the guy trying to rehab Sammy so he can stay on the field. He isn't the reason our top 2 draft picks got hurt before the season. He isn't the guy who caused Dareus to do what Dareus has always done by hurting himself. He isn't the guy that hurt AW. He isn't the guy who hurt many of our OL. He isn't the guy that makes Robert Woods always fall down. He isn't the guy who keeps getting all of our WR's hurt.

I mean there is a lot of things that went wrong for this team, but honestly, it wasn't much different than the things that always seem to go wrong with this team. He still managed a .500 record last year and can still finish with a .500 or winning record this year as we almost certainly beat Cle next week to get back to .500 with 2 games to play.

I think a lot of the negativity around Rex has carried over from his time with the Jets, and he gets more criticism than earned because of it. Has he been a perfect coach, no, but no coach is perfect. Players love playing for him, and this team has mostly been competitive in almost all of its losses. It never seems to give up, even against Pittsburgh as awful of a game as it was, this team found a way to actually have a chance at winning if not for Carp's screw ups.

Taylor was a young learning QB last year, and this year he didn't take the next step. How can people sit back and say Taylor is terrible then be mad at Rex for not having us in the playoffs? The bottom line is simple, Taylor is and has been the best QB on the roster in Rex's 2 years. EJ started 2 games and lost both, TT has a .500 record as the starter. Rex can only coach whats on the roster, and it doesn't make it easier when your firepower is on the sidelines with injuries. But he still has this team competitive.

If they are going to fire him, to me it has no value until the end of the season unless the FO and him are at impasse in regards to which QB to play. I do think there is the potential he gets fired, I just don't necessarily think it solves our problems. If we do fire him, I still think the best replacements should be proven winners who command respect and discipline like Coughlin, even Cowher. People say the game has passed Cowher by, but I dont buy it as he is still very much involved in the game every week and isn't clueless to the type of game the league is playing today.

There is a lot wrong with this post. First off, let's just forget the finger-pointing on the offensive side of the ball, as you believe he deserves little to no blame for endorsing an offensive system that effectively consists of toting the rock in a sisyphean game plan that expects the defense to stop the other team from scoring while controlling the clock. The defense is just BAD. The vaunted corners Rex built this defense on and touted as being one of the best duos in the league on many occasions have been burned far too often to be considered even good or serviceable in his system. He uses our $100 million pass rushing DT as a space eater. Whether or not you choose to bury your head in the sand about his scheme and how much of that is players not playing up to their level, this fact is irrefutable: The 2016 Bills have had 2 of the worst defensive performances in franchise history under a "defensive genius". That alone is a fireable offense. The same defense that picked of Big Ben yesterday also let a single player outgain their entire offense. Individuals may not have given up yesterday, but it was clear the majority of the team did.

The Chin is simply not coming back to coaching and Coughlin ended his run with the Giants with 4 straight years of failing to qualify for the post-season.

Alpha, you make some good points, but the lack of mental toughness on this team the last two years is readily apparent in my estimation. Any little adversity, and they crumble. Yes, QB is a big part of that, but that D does not exactly make stops at critical junctures either. And yes, it has been that way for 17 years...dont care. Keep trying until you find someone that changes it.

The Bills D is making the same simple communication errors it game 13 of year 2 as it made in game 1 of year 1 under Rex. Think i counted 4 times yesterday when the Bills were late getting the right D players on the field...that is just not acceptable.

I dont disagree with you really. The main difference in my point of view is that this team is much the same as it was before Rex when it comes to discipline. At what point does some of that blame and accountability turn to the players on the field. Dareus has been a knuckle head his whole career, Hughes too. I can't fault Rex for that, you can't always change a tigers stripes.

I dont absolve Rex by any means, but what I have seen on the field in terms of lack of discipline has been consistent with some of players careers even before Rex. For me, I just think some of the issues are just bigger than Rex and its easy to just throw it all on his shoulders, but at the end of the day, these are men and they need to own their own stupidity at times.

I do agree there have been things Rex could have done better, but I watch a lot of Steelers games and I have seen Tomlin make a ton of stupid decisions as well over the years yet all of us would give anything to have Tomlin. When you are not winning enough, those issues stand out ten fold. With Rex, the biased hatred that carried over from his time with the Jets has magnified it even more. I get I am in minority here, and that is fine, but I will always wonder what could have been the last 2 seasons with less injuries to our best players, the refs not stealing 2 games from us (Giants last year and Seattle this year), full season with Lynn rather than 2 crap games with Roman, etc.

I am not going to campaign for him not to be fired, I am just saying I feel like there has been a lot working against him the last 2 years and I don't see him as the biggest source of our problems like many others do. If he does get fired, that is fine, I just hope we bring someone in that is a proven winner and known for discipline rather than gamble on some unproven prospect of a coach...again.

I already said it somewhere else but it was so glaringly stark that I think it bears repeating.

After the firing reports came out on Sunday morning, watching this team flat-out quit on their coach 30 seconds into Sunday's game could not have sent a clearer message. It was one of the most clear and damning votes of no confidence I have ever seen a team give its coach at any level and I find it utterly incomprehensible that anybody could view it in any other light.

It's what makes this place incredible sometimes.

You must've watched a different game.

They quit the minute the ball was kicked off to start the game.

I said it was an awful game, I didn't say they fought the whole game. My point was, in a terribly played game the fact remains the teams scrapped late to have a shot to steal the game. By no means am I trying to state it was a well coached game, well played game, or full of fight.

People are way too focused on that one comment about yesterday...the only point is, in our losses we have had few where we were not competitive. In years past, this team seemed to win ugly and lose badly way too often. Under Rex, we have had a more competitive team the last 2 years overall than we have had mostly prior to him was the only point.

He had clearly a) lost a step and b) stopped caring.

I guess I saw the "stopped caring" part more than the "lost a step" part... but that was the rap on him in Houston as well...great player when he is into it..but he's not always into it.

I didn't see enough of a fight in yesterday's game to warrant this. They came out flat and stayed that way for most of the game. The lack of compete by the D in the run game was astounding.

I recognize I phrased it poorly based on how people have focused and respond to that one comment. So to clarify again, it was a terrible game, which I stated. I was not touting the team fought the whole game. However, the fact remains as bad as it was, the team had a small chance to actually win that game had Carpenter not screwed us again. We could have stolen a game we had no business winning. By NO MEANS does that validate or justify the rest of the game, but even in our ugliest of losses, this team was still sniffing around at the end. We have had few games where we just weren't competitive under Rex for a team that commonly won Ugly and lost Uglier.

So my comment was more pertaining to the last 2 years, and probably should have left yesterdays game out of the point.

People say the game has passed Cowher by, but I dont buy it as he is still very much involved in the game every week and isn't clueless to the type of game the league is playing today.

Actually the game passed Cowher by about 10 years before he even "retired".

I know being out West that you don't get to see any particular teams from the East with any regularity so let me just leave you with this thought from a Western Pennsyltucky football fan:

Bill Cowher singlehandedly lost more games for that wildly talented Pittsburgh Steelers franchise than I have ever seen any other coach lose for any other franchise in all the decades I've been watching this game.He was one of the most gawdawful Sunday coaches I have ever seen in my entire life.

I know being out West that you don't get to see any particular teams from the East with any regularity so let me just leave you with this thought from a Western Pennsyltucky football fan:

Bill Cowher singlehandedly lost more games for that wildly talented Pittsburgh Steelers franchise than I have ever seen any other coach lose for any other franchise in all the decades I've been watching this game.He was one of the most gawdawful Sunday coaches I have ever seen in my entire life.

So much this it isn't funny.

I recognize I phrased it poorly based on how people have focused and respond to that one comment. So to clarify again, it was a terrible game, which I stated. I was not touting the team fought the whole game. However, the fact remains as bad as it was, the team had a small chance to actually win that game had Carpenter not screwed us again. We could have stolen a game we had no business winning. By NO MEANS does that validate or justify the rest of the game, but even in our ugliest of losses, this team was still sniffing around at the end. We have had few games where we just weren't competitive under Rex for a team that commonly won Ugly and lost Uglier.

So my comment was more pertaining to the last 2 years, and probably should have left yesterdays game out of the point.

Oh come ON. The defense screwed us by letting Bell walk all over them for 300 yards. Carpenter did not screw us by not converting on a play that 80% of the time doesn't work.

Fair enough, I can admit that I am more enamored with his reputation for discipline than studying his games. I do watch a lot of Steelers games, but that has only really been during the Tomlin era the last few years as I have commonly had Steeler players in fantasy and some of my closest friends are long time Steeler fans.

I guess you can say that about the tenure of Rex overall, but yesterday they were never in the game no matter how hard Big Ben tried to make it competitive. The Bills' D was run over at will and the offense couldn't muster any kind of threat that a six year old girl wouldn't laugh at hysterically.

The were simply outclassed and it was embarrassing.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Simon: I totally respect your views, but I've said for a long time that the most important thing a coach does is build a staff. Whatever his flaws might have been, Cowher was excellent at that - as is Tomlin today. Over the past 25 years, the Steelers could always be counted on to have good staffs--staffs that generated a ton of head coaches. It's what made Parcells great too. The game-day stuff is important, but the leader-of-men and staff-building stuff is equally if not more important.

Simon: I totally respect your views, but I've said for a long time that the most important thing a coach does is build a staff. Whatever his flaws might have been, Cowher was excellent at that - as is Tomlin today. Over the past 25 years, the Steelers could always be counted on to have good staffs--staffs that generated a ton of head coaches. It's what made Parcells great too. The game-day stuff is important, but the leader-of-men and staff-building stuff is equally if not more important.

That is correct and it might make him a good GM or Team President. But not a gameday coach, especially when he's been away from the game for so long.