Should Rex play Gilmore on Green?

Dragonborn10

I wonder if Rex's defense is held back from the fact he can not or will not play Gilmore like he did with Revis. I understand Sherman plays only one side too but I thought Rex had his best success with Revis on the opposing top WR.

I have not seen many other DCs move the DB's from side to side or man up on the opposing top WR. Just curious what the board thinks about this strategy.

Mixed reviews on Gilmore this season. He wants to paid elite CB money so this will be good litmus test of how he can cover an elite WR. I think he'll do okay considering he'll have little to no help from our inept safeties.

Edited by DDD

Gilmore is undoubtedly not having the year he should. Looks like he is playing half-assed against the run in particular. Also half-assed tackling in general.

However I would agree with the poster above who noted the safety play. Graham should be playing the deep ball, not Meeks or the since departed Williams. I reckon the signing of the man with the nice Nigerian name who plays the run well signals graham deep. Could be an important change.

Looks like this is probably going to turn into another bash Gilmore thread instead of discussing how to cover Green. I'm as disappointed as anyone and I've said as much, but he's the only one not benched this week so I'm guessing Rex doesn't see him as the real issue.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I am going to look at this the other way. If i want an green to succeed so I'll plan for him. I plan for him to motion, I plan to bring him inside on the heavy side. With him off the LOS he has an even larger buffer to break free. I'm going to run eifert to the seam or outside flat where he is always going to be a dump off guy and open. The OL shouldn't need much help. An green across the middle is exactly where I am going. A 5 yard to 8 yard pass will turn in to 5-6 yards after catch each time because our LBs will be occupied by rushing or going with the TE or RB. Expose our coverage in the movement and put an green over the middle every time.

He will either b a factor or a decoy as the Bengals use play action to beat us up.

They have to give Gilmore help. I think we ought to play more zone coverage too generally.

if we had competent safeties sure

I bet Gilmore plays well this week.

Hes not consistently bad, hes inconsistent. And I feel like Green is a receiver he will be amped to line up against. He did well against him before, and with how poorly hes performed in certain games this year, I feel like Gilmore is going to be ready for him.

The safeties on the other hand.....

I bet Gilmore plays well this week.

Hes not consistently bad, hes inconsistent. And I feel like Green is a receiver he will be amped to line up against. He did well against him before, and with how poorly hes performed in certain games this year, I feel like Gilmore is going to be ready for him.

The safeties on the other hand.....

he also covered him in college. You need to get physical with Green. He doesn't like it. And he gets hurt easily.

Obviously the savior Corey White.

The mythical corner that never gets beat.

So, how will I be treated when I laugh at how bad he is and say that everyone was warned? The positive whatever patrol will excuse it as his first start

So, how will I be treated when I laugh at how bad he is and say that everyone was warned? The positive whatever patrol will excuse it as his first start

Honestly, I don't think Corey is a bad option at all. He had a solid preseason including a great game against Washington. Against Arizona in Week 3, he proved he could play in the league. Gave up 7 for 73 and had a pick.

It's about how they use him. If he starts, got to imagine they'll test him with Green early. Could be a cat and mouse game but I'm not anticipating Justin Rogers vs Geno numbers.

Mixed reviews on Gilmore this season. He wants to paid elite CB money so this will be good litmus test of how he can cover an elite WR. I think he'll do okay considering he'll have little to no help from our inept safeties.

Meh...I dont care what he does this week, he needs to show it every game the rest of the season to even consider giving him a good contract. One or two games a year doesnt cut it, he been getting roasted regularly and always plays waaaaay off the WR and doesnt close fast enough to make up for it. I was behind resigning him, but he's played his way off this team to date, and now needs to play his way back on IMO, and that will take more than one or two good weeks. He has been healthy, no excuses for him...he's just not been good.

Meh...I dont care what he does this week, he needs to show it every game the rest of the season to even consider giving him a good contract. One or two games a year doesnt cut it, he been getting roasted regularly and always plays waaaaay off the WR and doesnt close fast enough to make up for it. I was behind resigning him, but he's played his way off this team to date, and now needs to play his way back on IMO, and that will take more than one or two good weeks. He has been healthy, no excuses for him...he's just not been good.

You do understand that him playing off is schematic and not his choice, right? If he was freelancing like that, he'd be the one getting benched.

And his per-game stats equate to 2.89 receptions, 50.5 yards, 0.11 TDs, 0.22 INTs. Not buying your "roasted regularly" stuff.

You do understand that him playing off is schematic and not his choice, right? If he was freelancing like that, he'd be the one getting benched.

And his per-game stats equate to 2.89 receptions, 50.5 yards, 0.11 TDs, 0.22 INTs. Not buying your "roasted regularly" stuff.

Me either. Gilmore takes plays off. I feel like its always been his issue.

Solid-solid-solid-big play.

This year has been an exception. He was 'roasted' against the Jets and gave up big plays in multiple games. Hard to tell if its mental complacency (knowing that someone will pay him) or just him checking out more this year than past years.

From all accounts, hes not hurt.

Me either. Gilmore takes plays off. I feel like its always been his issue.

Solid-solid-solid-big play.

This year has been an exception. He was 'roasted' against the Jets and gave up big plays in multiple games. Hard to tell if its mental complacency (knowing that someone will pay him) or just him checking out more this year than past years.

From all accounts, hes not hurt.

He gets beat, it genuinely happens to every corner. Gilmore's just a deadly mix of contract year, sullen by nature and unpopular. He's had his bad moments but he's giving up a reception every 12.7 coverage snaps. It's hardly damaging when you consider the big picture. Granted, in the positions he's found himself in, he's not made plays he needs to (especially Week 2) but I don't think he should be getting the level of criticism he is for the play he's produced.

It's like people are just looking to hold onto Week 2 and magnify every reception like others don't get beat. Little perspective doesn't hurt now and then.

While I'm on the subject, I'm not for benching Darby either. He's responsible for 3.875 receptions, 59.25 yards, 0.375 TD, 0.125 INT per game.

I told everyone that would listen that Gilmore was playing the better of the two but Darby just needs a kick in the pants. Hopefully this past week gives him that because the kid can play.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Blokes but but he didn't smile and jump for joy when drafted

Blokes but but he didn't smile and jump for joy when drafted

Cyrus said he was "proud to be a Buffalo" :D

I readily accept he's doing himself no favours with the way he's conducting himself at the moment (frankly, his agent should just tell him to shut the !@#$ up and take the no media fines) but his play isn't nearly as bad as people want to make out.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Cyrus said he was "proud to be a Buffalo" :D

I readily accept he's doing himself no favours with the way he's conducting himself at the moment (frankly, his agent should just tell him to shut the !@#$ up and take the no media fines) but his play isn't nearly as bad as people want to make out.

Nope just some fans still think this is 1970. A majority of players could really care less about the sport and it is a means to an end for them. So I will never fault a player making a Business decision on the field over risking an INJ when he has no long term stability.