Jim Schwartz took Eagles 30th ranked defense to top 5

Yeezus

In half a season

But the Bills need 3+ years to fully implement Rex's legendary defense

The same legendary defense that hasn't been good since last decade

Kind of sad really. Rex can no longer coaches defense ans we let go our best coordinator in 10 + years

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schwartz is a great defensive coach.

Schwartz and Wade Phillips are 1-2 in the league.

Schwartz appears to be a better defensive coach than Rex Ryan.

Rex Ryan might not necessarily be a bad defensive coach. He took a team whose front seven looked as bad as any in football going into the season without Dareus and they've held up pretty damn well. If Gilmore and Darby didn't s**t the bed this season and we had a player at Safety, we'd have a top 5-10 defense for sure.

Because Schwartz has turned into an elite defensive coordinator, really has nothing to do with Rex Ryan whatsoever.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Schwartz is a great DC

Who knows, Bills lose out the next several games, he may be the next HC.

However, I see the Bills going 10-6 and Rex comes back.

Bills will go 8-8 at best and Rex will be back, because the Pegulas are well-intentioned, but clueless.

Rex Ryan might not necessarily be a bad defensive coach. He took a team whose front seven looked as bad as any in football going into the season without Dareus and they've held up pretty damn well. If Gilmore and Darby didn't s**t the bed this season and we had a player at Safety, we'd have a top 5-10 defense for sure.

Because Schwartz has turned into an elite defensive coordinator, really has nothing to do with Rex Ryan whatsoever.

His system that allows an average front seven to get pressure (and they are average) has only worked with HoFers either as LB's, S, or CB's. Asking Gillylock, Darby, Grahah and Aaron Williams to be HoFers is not good coaching

They've held up pretty damn well-----against Palmer, Case Keenum, Kaeprenick and Jacoby Brissett............

This is why keeping Rex a 3rd year is complete bs

Own up to our mistake and bring a new coach in as soon as we can to start

This is the NFL. First year HC's have taken teams to the playoffs in their 1sf year countless of times

They've held up pretty damn well-----against Palmer, Case Keenum, Kaeprenick and Jacoby Brissett............

Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson...

The Seahawks running backs had 8 carries for 10 yards and the Bills had 4 sacks. To be honest, the Bills held Forte pretty much in check in week 2 as well. The Jets and Seahawks losses are squarely on the shoulders of Gilmore and Darby. Period.

His system that allows an average front seven to get pressure (and they are average) has only worked with HoFers either as LB's, S, or CB's. Asking Gillylock, Darby, Grahah and Aaron Williams to be HoFers is not good coaching

The Bills lead the NFL in sacks. They're 14th overall and 13th in points allowed. Guys, if you're gonna pile on Rex Ryan, at least try and be objective and acknowledge that the defense has not been a disaster this season. If coaches are measured by their teams' (in the case units') performance relative to their perceived talent, Rex Ryan has had a decent season coaching the Bills defense. If Gilmore and Darby don't randomly implode after both turning in top 15 seasons last year, we're having a very different conversation right now.

but Rex is a defensive genius.

Great post dude.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

It is not Rex's fault that Gilmore and Darby decided to take turns in getting burned. Neither is playing up to the level they did last year. That is on the player, not the coach. What I will blame Rex on is the permissive atmosphere on the team. Too many selfish penalties and off field issues. Tighten up on that and get them focused on playing winning football. Schwartz is better in getting the guys to play to the max on defense. Reason he was let go was silly....he rubbed people in the organization the wrong way and thought he is head coach material. I see him like Wade Phillips....a great DC who is not very good as a head coach.

I said it at the time. Jim Schwartz was the best coaching hire in any capacity this franchise has made in the drought. What I love about him is there are no slimey pitiful excuses. When the Eagles D had a bad week a few weeks ago Jim Schwartz said "We have to get better at 4 levels and one of those is defensive coordinator." Accountability starts at home.

In half a season

But the Bills need 3+ years to fully implement Rex's legendary defense

The same legendary defense that hasn't been good since last decade

Kind of sad really. Rex can no longer coaches defense ans we let go our best coordinator in 10 + years

hey we can always hire him for HC this offseason :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I said it at the time. Jim Schwartz was the best coaching hire in any capacity this franchise has made in the drought. What I love about him is there are no slimey pitiful excuses. When the Eagles D had a bad week a few weeks ago Jim Schwartz said "We have to get better at 4 levels and one of those is defensive coordinator." Accountability starts at home.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah, but how are the Eagles season ticket sales doing??? HUH?!?!?

:lol::lol:

Schwartz > Rex

Schwartz system >>>>> Rex system

sad but true :cry::cry::bag:

Honestly, we might as well have brought Wannestadt back.

ouch!!!! I think he was actually worse.

Schwartz is a great DC

Who knows, Bills lose out the next several games, he may be the next HC.

However, I see the Bills going 10-6 and Rex comes back.

6 - 10

Lol the love fest for Schwartz is funny. Almost like when Fitz left and won a few games

you missed the rest of it.

Rex took a front 7 who was great, destroyed it and then fixed it while all at the same time took two of the best corners and their nickel back who could start on many teams and destroyed them. Now that is magic.

Is this about players not being able to learn this very complicated system or the coach just not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Then by the logic I see on this board it is the coaches fault.

Even if you do pin Oakland on Schwartz (which is ludicrous) then he at least has the 4th ranked overall defense to fall back on, top 5 or 6 in a whole host of categories (despite the offense being 27th in 3 and outs - the horror).

Rex on the other hand..... well he has very little to fall back on.

The Big Cat keeps talling us we should see the 2014 defense as some sort of statistical anomaly. Well then.... Schwartz seems to have made the 2016 Eagles defense a similar anomaly. Maybe it isn't an anomaly.... maybe it is..... you know..... coaching?

Even if you do pin Oakland on Schwartz (which is ludicrous) then he at least has the 4th ranked overall defense to fall back on, top 5 or 6 in a whole host of categories (despite the offense being 27th in 3 and outs - the horror).

Rex on the other hand..... well he has very little to fall back on.

The Big Cat keeps talling us we should see the 2014 defense as some sort of statistical anomaly. Well then.... Schwartz seems to have made the 2016 Eagles defense a similar anomaly. Maybe it isn't an anomaly.... maybe it is..... you know..... coaching?

Not really he has good players on defense and is lucky again in them not getting injured. Don't forget we have no where near the players we had with Schwartz.

Not really he has good players on defense and is lucky again in them not getting injured. Don't forget we have no where near the players we had with Schwartz.

So he inherited a Buffalo D that came 10th in total D and improved it to 4th in total D, when he left it dropped to 19th in total D.

In Philly he inherited a D that came 30th in total D and currently has it 5th.

Every excuse in the book has been tried now - injuries, offense not sustaining drives, players not making plays..... eventually people are going to have to admit what is staring them right in the face. We had one of the best D coordinators in the NFL, proficient in defending against how the game is now being played on offense, and we let him go. That is simply a fact as far as I am concerned.

Going a step further.... I do still worry that when I look around the NFL now I don't see other teams succeeding with the "Rex Ryan style" of defense. The defense that are having success in this league now are really simplifying it for their players..... complicated pre-snap adjustment style defences are few and far between.

So he inherited a Buffalo D that came 10th in total D and improved it to 4th in total D, when he left it dropped to 19th in total D.

Every excuse in the book has been tried now - injuries, offense not sustaining drives, players not making plays..... eventually people are going to have to admit what is staring them right in the face. We had one of the best D coordinators in the NFL, proficient in defending against how the game is now being played on offense, and we let him go. That is simply a fact as far as I am concerned.

Going a step further.... I do still worry that when I look around the NFL now I don't see other teams succeeding with the "Rex Ryan style" of defense. The defense that are having success in this league now are really simplifying it for their players..... complicated pre-snap adjustment style defences are few and far between.

I made a Wannestadt joke earlier in the thread. As I sit here this morning, reading your post, it just dawned on me how the comparison between Wanny and the Ryan Bros., actually holds water.

They both brought defensive systems that were successful ... many years prior, before being figured out. Antiquated crap.

If winning games was actually the goal (which I doubt more and more each day), then the Ryan hire was irresponsible. But that's a mighty big "if."

Yes when he left so did our best players.

Yes when he left so did our best players.

Oh yes of course...... how did we cope without D'Norris Searcy and Brandon Spikes?

You have to be kidding me? 8 of Schwartz's starters started the opening game of 2015... one of those that didn't Leodis McKelvin was replaced by Darby who was an upgrade.

The changes were Lawson in for Spikes, Graham in for Searcy and Darby in for McKelvin. They then lost Aaron Williams in week 2 and Kyle Williams in week 6.

It wasn't the injuries or the departures of key players.... it was the departure of Jim Schwartz. And he is producing another "anomaly" in Philly.

Oh yes of course...... how did we cope without D'Norris Searcy and Brandon Spikes?

You have to be kidding me? 8 of Schwartz's starters started the opening game of 2015... one of those that didn't Leodis McKelvin was replaced by Darby who was an upgrade.

The changes were Lawson in for Spikes, Graham in for Searcy and Darby in for McKelvin. They then lost Aaron Williams in week 2 and Kyle Williams in week 6.

It wasn't the injuries or the departures of key players.... it was the departure of Jim Schwartz. And he is producing another "anomaly" in Philly.

No Mario Wiiams, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams... Just three of the most important players. Now No Dareus. Edited by Beef Jerky