Jim Schwartz took Eagles 30th ranked defense to top 5

Yeezus

I don't understand the point of this thread.

We hired the wrong coach for the talent we had at the time. He didn't know what to do with it, but Schwartz did. Kinda like he is doing in Philly. Bradham looks pretty good out there too.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its easy.

We had a great defense with Schwartz. We could hvae hired Hue JAckson who would have kept schwartz.

We hire Fat Rex and the defense is a cluster F(^*_

No. This is a false and alternate reality that posters have clung to. It was never the case.

So again, I don't understand the point of this thread, if the crux of the analysis rests on things that didn't/would never have happened.

Otherwise, it's sour grapes, crying about things that don't fit what you think should have happened, regardless of whether it could.

Except, we had Jim Schwartz who was willing to stay and let him walk becasue we hired an idiot for a HC. And we never had tom Brady

Link?

What is the argument in this thread? Don't we all agree that he is a very good d coordinator? Don't we all agree that his track record as HC leaves quite a bit to be desired?

Isn't it a false correlation though? Rex isn't the D- Coordinator he is the HC. Schwartz has a much different job and it is one that both he and Rex have excelled at. Is the argument that Schwartz should have been the HC? I'll put that to rest by bringing up his 29-51 record over 5 years and 1 winning season in that time. Rex has coached for 7 full seasons and had a losing record twice. It is up to each person to decide what they think of Rex as a HC but I don't see how anyone can say Schwartz is a better HC than Rex.

There is also no proof that he would have stayed. As a HC (I'm assuming in charge of the D by your definition) Schwartz had the Lions D ranked 32, 21, 23, 13, and 16.

Schwartz is a very good DC but your pining for something that may or may not have been possible to do and then lamenting that the Bills should have done it. Also how would Schwartz have done last year with the injuries to Aaron Williams or Kyle Williams. I have posted many times about the difference in games missed between the 2 years. Finally, Schwartz didn't take over a terrible d in Philly and turn it around. Fletcher Cox and the rest of the d line are very good. Their lbs are very good. The only questionable part is the Secondary. The trouble with the Eagles D was Chips offense.

Here are my posts from the other thread.

Schwartz is a very good dc. You can't compare his numbers to Rex because Rex is the HC. If you want to say that Schwartz is a better DC than Dennis Thurman I don't think anyone will take an issue with it. Stop with this false correlation. Look at Schwartz's d rankings while a HC and compare those to Rex. I already did the work for you and it is right here. Rex is a better HC than Schwartz as shown by their track record. Rex hasn't been a DC for almost 10 years so we can't really compare them as DCs.

I will continue to say ANY Defense that can generate pressure with 4 only will be better than any other defense in todays NFL

Just your typical FO Blunder by a new owner.

you have 4-3 personnel and have a top end 4-3 DC and what do you do go hire a 3-4 coach.

Look at the Bills coaching changes it has happened often during the drought.

Good thing is I think we are still fine right now if we switch back to a 4-3 coach in the offseason.

Edited by MAJBobby

No. This is a false and alternate reality that posters have clung to. It was never the case.

So again, I don't understand the point of this thread, if the crux of the analysis rests on things that didn't/would never have happened.

Otherwise, it's sour grapes, crying about things that don't fit what you think should have happened, regardless of whether it could.

Link?

PHOENIX -- Hue Jackson knows not to get his hopes up for coaching jobs. Considered a commodity for many years, he has interviewed for several gigs that have gone to somebody else.

Even so, Jackson felt confident about his chances to become the Buffalo Bills' head coach.

The Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator thought he aced his interview with the Bills and fit the mold owners Terry and Kim Pegula and General Manager Doug Whaley put forth.

"They wanted to find someone to leave the defense in place because they were very good there and really help on the offensive side of the ball, help with the decision of the quarterback," Jackson said Wednesday at the Super Bowl media center.

Jackson said he "absolutely" would have retained defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

http://buffalonews.com/2015/01/28/hue-jackson-gives-insight-bills-interview-process-absolutely-kept-jim-schwartz/

Your move, Cat.

Edited by CountDorkula

Here are my posts from the other thread.

Schwartz is a very good dc. You can't compare his numbers to Rex because Rex is the HC. If you want to say that Schwartz is a better DC than Dennis Thurman I don't think anyone will take an issue with it. Stop with this false correlation. Look at Schwartz's d rankings while a HC and compare those to Rex. I already did the work for you and it is right here. Rex is a better HC than Schwartz as shown by their track record. Rex hasn't been a DC for almost 10 years so we can't really compare them as DCs.

So you really are going to be that person that tries to deny that this isn't Rex Ryans Defense it is Dennis Thurmans? Ha ha ha

I will continue to say ANY Defense that can generate pressure with 4 only will be better than any other defense in todays NFL

Just your typical FO Blunder by a new owner.

you have 4-3 personnel and have a top end 4-3 DC and what do you do go hire a 3-4 coach.

Look at the Bills coaching changes it has happened often during the drought.

Good thing is I think we are still fine right now if we switch back to a 4-3 coach in the offseason.

I really don't think the scheme has anything to do with our problems.

Last year we couldn't rush the passer but the corners were elite. This year we lead the NFL in sacks but the corners are some of the worst in the NFL. Nothing really has changed personnel wise at CB. There was a position coach change but the system is the same.

It's just a strange team.

He doesn't "have a point"... if dick lebeau asked you to drop into coverage you just did it. I think the key isn't that rex needs his "scheme" guys. He needs more guy's more like patriots players. Who will just do what you tell them to do...

It's great having a healthy Watkins - but when he's complaining about getting the ball it's a distraction. I'd rather have soldier's who are willing to go to battle with my game plan, than guys complaining to the media about how they are used.

Maybe its Rex's coaching style, but the players need to hold one another more accountable.

The difference being that Dick LeBeau had fantastic linebackers on his Steelers teams and average defensive linemen so he could drop the scrub linemen into pass coverage in order to rush a linebacker who was usually a pro bowl player.

In Ryan's scheme, it really made no sense because he didn't use that linebacker to blitz and usually ended up only rushing with three when he dropped a D-line player into coverage. It was not only stupid, it was very ineffective. Marcell Dareus dropped a few times against the Chiefs and on two occasions it ended up as a passing TD by Alex Smith.

Those all pro D-linemen would have been better off just rushing the passer in 2015 instead of working on defending the gaps.

Does it make sense to you to have the highly paid all pro pass rushing defensive linemen dropping into pass coverage and sending a scrub linebacker to rush and defending the run rather than rush the passer? Rex Ryan screwed up last years defense and now this year he is letting someone else on his staff screw it up.

The difference being that Dick LeBeau had fantastic linebackers on his Steelers teams and average defensive linemen so he could drop the scrub linemen into pass coverage in order to rush a linebacker who was usually a pro bowl player.

In Ryan's scheme, it really made no sense because he didn't use that linebacker to blitz and usually ended up only rushing with three when he dropped a D-line player into coverage. It was not only stupid, it was very ineffective. Marcell Dareus dropped a few times against the Chiefs and on two occasions it ended up as a passing TD by Alex Smith.

Those all pro D-linemen would have been better off just rushing the passer in 2015 instead of working on defending the gaps.

Does it make sense to you to have the highly paid all pro pass rushing defensive linemen dropping into pass coverage and sending a scrub linebacker to rush and defending the run rather than rush the passer? Rex Ryan screwed up last years defense and now this year he is letting someone else on his staff screw it up.

I think the goal specifically in the KC game was to try and defend the screen game - as zone blitzes usually swarm and blow those up. They ended up going down field on us, and maclin had a game against us.

It's not something you call frequently, but something you do to mix it up a bit. Considering how often it was utilized, I wouldn't say we like overdid it by any means.

Got it the injury excuse ONLY works in Buffalo.

Yes they're 0-10 but they also traded 2 former firsts on rookie deals for pennies on the dollar. I don't blame them either, the players weren't good and weren't worth keeping around. They have a ton of picks next year, and the youngest team in the NFL. It's a full tank job.

It's just tough for Jackson, because they'll probably fire him before he gets a chance to build a thing.

Edited by dneveu

I think the goal specifically in the KC game was to try and defend the screen game - as zone blitzes usually swarm and blow those up. They ended up going down field on us, and maclin had a game against us.

It's not something you call frequently, but something you do to mix it up a bit. Considering how often it was utilized, I wouldn't say we like overdid it by any means.

Yes they're 0-10 but they also traded 2 former firsts on rookie deals for pennies on the dollar. I don't blame them either, the players weren't good and weren't worth keeping around. They have a ton of picks next year, and the youngest team in the NFL. It's a full tank job.

It's just tough for Jackson, because they'll probably fire him before he gets a chance to build a thing.

Nah I bet he is gonna get three years. They actually have a growth plan moving forward, if they can execute it will be the question. us on the otherhand Always AVG

Nah I bet he is gonna get three years. They actually have a growth plan moving forward, if they can execute it will be the question. us on the otherhand Always AVG

Yeah - I think Jackson is a smart guy and deserves a fair shot. The people get antsy though. Their Xmas eve home game is going to be played in an empty stadium... Usually not a good look for a Head Coach.

I'm usually for that unless you know the guys an idiot. The jag's should have dumped bradley after year 1. Pagano isn't a good head coach even though his record says otherwise.

Edited by dneveu