Jim Schwartz took Eagles 30th ranked defense to top 5

Yeezus

It's water under the bridge but Jim should have been promoted to the HC. I know he didn't do well in his other HC outing but neither did Marv or Billy boy. Perhaps it would have been a disaster but I would have preferred that ride.

Edited by KRT88

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still feel that if we had made Schwartz HC instead of Rex, we would have been in the playoffs last year. Just saying

I dunno about playoffs, but I'm confident we would've won at least ten games.... The minute we hired Rex, I knew the drought would last another two years. (At least)

because the guy who didn't get hired speculated about his willingness to bring back a dc he didn't know would join him?

okay.

Speculated about his 'own' willingness to "bring back" a guy under contract?

You can try your hardest, but the scenario is real as are the quotes. This was a very possible alternative to the clown shown and tragic dismantling of the first borderline elite unit the bills fielded since the turn of the century.

It could have and arguably should have happened in this way or a number of other plausible scenarios. But For now, we can just enjoy 1-3 more seasons of the "mediocrity wrecksperience" before ownership finally reaches the conclusion the jets did, that perpetual media attention doesn't beat winning.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

It is not Rex's fault that Gilmore and Darby decided to take turns in getting burned. Neither is playing up to the level they did last year. That is on the player, not the coach. What I will blame Rex on is the permissive atmosphere on the team. Too many selfish penalties and off field issues. Tighten up on that and get them focused on playing winning football. Schwartz is better in getting the guys to play to the max on defense. Reason he was let go was silly....he rubbed people in the organization the wrong way and thought he is head coach material. I see him like Wade Phillips....a great DC who is not very good as a head coach.

This...Schwartz was an utter disaster as HC, far worse than anything Rex has ever been accused of. Is he a great DC, absolutely. Rex has fielded great defenses too in multiple places. It hasnt helped us that we have missed our best DL in Dareus almost all season, lost AW and watched out DB's literally forget how to cover.

If you guys want to pile on anyone, why isnt anyone piling on Ed Reed? I have seen stupid claims to how great he's been, how great he will be as a HC, etc. YET, the ONLY difference...literally the ONLY difference this year in our secondary is Ed Reed is now the DB's coach and its literally the WORST performing unit on the team. What has he changed with them that has seen Gilmore and Darby regress sooooooooo far?

Rex is a better HC than Schwartz was in Detroit. Can Schwartz rebound in a second chance, of course, but lets not sit here and act like he would certainly be a better HC after how bad he was in Detroit.

If you guys want to pile on anyone, why isnt anyone piling on Ed Reed? I have seen stupid claims to how great he's been, how great he will be as a HC, etc. YET, the ONLY difference...literally the ONLY difference this year in our secondary is Ed Reed is now the DB's coach and its literally the WORST performing unit on the team. What has he changed with them that has seen Gilmore and Darby regress sooooooooo far?

Wasn't hiring Ed Reed Rex's idea?

In half a season

But the Bills need 3+ years to fully implement Rex's legendary defense

The same legendary defense that hasn't been good since last decade

Kind of sad really. Rex can no longer coaches defense ans we let go our best coordinator in 10 + years

Go talk to Pegs. His deal. Oh, wait, he saved the franchise for your ungrateful behinds. Fair tradeoff.

I just can't respect a guy who gripes like that to the media. You had to drop into coverage twice in a game? Cry about it! You're worth like 100 million dollars, and are an athlete. Just do your job! How hard is that?

i think that our lineman use the term "dropping" to address any time they were told not to rush the passer aggressively, while fans use it as referring to them playing zone coverage between linebackers.

i cant say that is a fact but it would go a long way towards reconciling the statements with the data, potentially. id bet there were a lot more times they were told to hold the edge, occupy lineman etc... and when compared to a schwartz scheme where it is essentially 100% get after the qb, and let the MLB clean up a lot of the run game (see spikes, brandon).... unless they thought they could just totally fabricate a story and no one would watch the film at all, i would bet that its more that we are interpreting the words slightly differently.

Just on Nihilarian's point.... I still, having tried to, cannot find another Head Coach in NFL history who inherited winning teams in his first two stops as a HC in the league. That is how unique the situation Rex walked into was.

Some Bills fans brush over this like it's nothing and yet it means a great deal as exactly what a new head coaches job entails. Think of the job that any new head coach in Cleveland has to go through in regards to all the losing the team has done in the past and now has to change the players, the schemes and the culture of losing. The Lions, like the Bills, hadn't been to the playoffs since 1999.

Jim Schwartz took over a 0-16 team with almost no talent save the star WR and a few low round draft picks at various positions. Think about the lack of player talent and lack of good coaching it takes for a team to not win one single game an entire year! Now that's what Schwartz inherited vs a 9-7 Bills team that missed the playoffs due to losing one single game. Schwartz took his Lions team to the playoffs after three short years.

One or two more losses this year and the 2016 Buffalo Bills are out of the playoffs...again. Then the Bills will most likely finish this season with even a worse record than last year.

i think that our lineman use the term "dropping" to address any time they were told not to rush the passer aggressively, while fans use it as referring to them playing zone coverage between linebackers.

i cant say that is a fact but it would go a long way towards reconciling the statements with the data, potentially. id bet there were a lot more times they were told to hold the edge, occupy lineman etc... and when compared to a schwartz scheme where it is essentially 100% get after the qb, and let the MLB clean up a lot of the run game (see spikes, brandon).... unless they thought they could just totally fabricate a story and no one would watch the film at all, i would bet that its more that we are interpreting the words slightly differently.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense

Some Bills fans brush over this like it's nothing and yet it means a great deal as exactly what a new head coaches job entails. Think of the job that any new head coach in Cleveland has to go through in regards to all the losing the team has done in the past and now has to change the players, the schemes and the culture of losing. The Lions, like the Bills, hadn't been to the playoffs since 1999.

Jim Schwartz took over a 0-16 team with almost no talent save the star WR and a few low round draft picks at various positions. Think about the lack of player talent and lack of good coaching it takes for a team to not win one single game an entire year! Now that's what Schwartz inherited vs a 9-7 Bills team that missed the playoffs due to losing one single game. Schwartz took his Lions team to the playoffs after three short years.

One or two more losses this year and the 2016 Buffalo Bills are out of the playoffs...again. Then the Bills will most likely finish this season with even a worse record than last year.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense

Article said a lot of what I was getting at as my gut without having the numbers or footage to back it up

I really wish we kept him as HC. PHI is No. 1 in DVOA for defense. Our team is No. 6 in offense, together we could be charging towards the playoffs. Coulda, shoulda, woulda but didn't.

My only hope is we fire Rex soon, hire Schwartz, keep Lynn, and get Donnie Henderson back.

Edited by voodoo poonani

What's your point?

That it was funny then and it's still funny now.

And also that the love fest for Schwartz now that he's gone is in stark contrast to the wide-9-hand-wringing that pervaded this place shortly after his hire. the type of hand-wringing that inspired long, contentious threads entitled "Jim Schwartz is a dinosaur." My contribution to that thread is the image above (hilarious). I just came across it looking for a different hosted image, it's still hilarious, and now it's relevant (in an ironic way) to this thread.

Sorry if all that was too advanced for you. Happy to clarify whenever you need help.

Yes and the people saying he was a dinosaur were wrong and those of us in that thread calling it a good hire were right.

You see it is easy to paint those of us critical of Rex as just being people who like to bash whatever the Bills do. But some of those same posters are there liking the Jim Schwartz hire.

Interestingly in that thread you may notice me saying that Pettine had improved away from having to run Rex's scheme. Reminds me how much I disliked the bloke even before he turned up here telling me to get ready cos "we're going."

Yes and the people saying he was a dinosaur were wrong and those of us in that thread calling it a good hire were right.

You see it is easy to paint those of us critical of Rex as just being people who like to bash whatever the Bills do. But some of those same posters are there liking the Jim Schwartz hire.

Interestingly in that thread you may notice me saying that Pettine had improved away from having to run Rex's scheme. Reminds me how much I disliked the bloke even before he turned up here telling me to get ready cos "we're going."

I didn't mean to imply people were wrong then right. Only that the fan base is fickle, and passionately so.

So your point is Schwartz proved a lot of people wrong.

Ok. Got it. Still waiting for Rex to do the same going on 2 years now....

No.

I told you the point.

Twice.

You missed it both times. Shocking.