Shaq Lawson is eligible this week. Our number one pick!!

This seems to be sort of a quiet topic, but Shaq Lawson is coming off the disabled list. I read somewhere that he's in perfect health. I think that could add a new dimension to our defense.

If Dareus can get healthy, and we get Lawson up to speed, this could be a huge addition to an already pretty good defense. I'm stoked.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be sort of a quiet topic, but Shaq Lawson is coming off the disabled list. I read somewhere that he's in perfect health. I think that could add a new dimension to our defense.

If Dareus can get healthy, and we get Lawson up to speed, this could be a huge addition to an already pretty good defense. I'm stoked.

Bring him/them on slowly, they're excellent additions to the rotation, but it's not like we're hurting on DL. I trust Rex (can't believe I'm saying that) to know what to do with them

Don't expect to see Lawson play much. He has never taken a NFL snap. He will probably spot sub Alexander for a while

Also being healthy is different than being in game shape. Lawson is quite a ways away from being a regular contributor

Don't expect to see Lawson play much. He has never taken a NFL snap. He will probably spot sub Alexander for a while

The most important part of this post you made is the last sentence...I'm really liking Lorax and the veteran leadership he provides will make a great impression on Shaq (hopeful anyway). He can teach Shaq a lot by sharing the same position.

Also being healthy is different than being in game shape. Lawson is quite a ways away from being a regular contributor

Glad we got this cleared up early. I though we would have to see him on the field first.

The Bills have the luxury to play him 15-20 plays a game and just let him go after the QB. He could be a very important addition in that role.

It looks like they overdid the defense in the draft. Not that they knew it at the time. Considering the glut of D-line talent they now have, it might have been better if they had selected an O-lineman, or wide receiver instead of an injured D-lineman.

we have a glut?

It looks like they overdid the defense in the draft. Not that they knew it at the time. Considering the glut of D-line talent they now have, it might have been better if they had selected an O-lineman, or wide receiver instead of an injured D-lineman.

Umm.. No, Alexander is 33 years old. They needed Lawson bad. Zach Brown was completely unproven at Tennessee. He wasn't very good there

Umm.. No, Alexander is 33 years old. They needed Lawson bad. Zach Brown was completely unproven at Tennessee. He wasn't very good there

this actually worked out great, timing wise. Lorax isn't likely to be as effective in 2nd half of season as he was in first half. He's 33 and I doubt ever played this many snaps in his career. On the flip side, rookies typically hit a wall about 3/4 through their first year since they aren't used to so many games. We can rotate them and keep both fresh while easing in Shaq.

I envision Shaq's snaps coming from giving Hughes and Lorax a breather on both sides.......

A good situation actually.....it allows us to have consistant pressure the whole game and play doesnt fall off because guys get tired

the same with Marcel.....our rotation up front should be very strong.....especially with Adolphus Washington starting to come along

Rex knows how to use guys like Lawson. See Quinton Coples and even our own Aaron Maybin when he had 6 sacks in 10 games for Ryan. Right now you just bring him in to make a straight line for the QB every few plays. (Only because he missed all of camp). You can expect more outa him as the season goes on but especially next year. His ceiling being a Shaun Ellis type.

i thought he was eligible to come off the list this week, but still couldn't play for 3 weeks(or something like that), perhaps I am misremembering the rule

There's a window to activate him that starts today and ends after Week 11. If, for some reason, he wasn't ready by then it's IR or release.

There was a rookie draft pick called Cornelius Bennett whom the Bills traded for on Halloween day, 1987. Hadn't played a single snap in the NFL up to that point, but signed a contract and played immediately after the trade. Made huge impact in his first game in a Bills uniform and continued to play at a high level. We don' need no stinkin' trainin' camp! Who knows? Lawson may take time to get oriented, or he may just jump in and make his presence felt right away.

Glad we got this cleared up early. I though we would have to see him on the field first.

The Bills have the luxury to play him 15-20 plays a game and just let him go after the QB. He could be a very important addition in that role.

The Miami game will be a nice Dareus/Lawson tune-up for Week 8. Tommy Boy is going to hit the turf five or six times that Sunday.

oh, cool, thanks, i misunderstood, i thought he had to put in 3 weeks of practice. This is pretty good news

There's a window to activate him that starts today and ends after Week 11. If, for some reason, he wasn't ready by then it's IR or release.

good lord, that gave me shivers

The Miami game will be a nice Dareus/Lawson tune-up for Week 8. Tommy Boy is going to hit the turf five or six times that Sunday.

The Bills D last year stunk. It was no surprise they went heavy on D in the draft, and considering the injuries to 1 and 2 it was good they went D on 3 as well. I think part of the improvement is due to the coaching and the players being on the same page this year, and the Ryan system making stars out of LBs and DEs.

Still, if you had been asked before the season to pick the two Bills defenders who were likely to have a shot at the Pro Bowl, would you have picked Zach Brown and Lorax? Not Dareus, not Gilmore, not Kyle Williams, not Darby...?

Considering some of the moves that have turned out golden (TT, Shady, Incognito, ZB, Lorax) maybe it's time to see our FO is doing OK. More to the point, that our pro scouting team is doing great. Now if we could just draft college players with as much accuracy as we pick up pros...

Edited by Utah John

Rex knows how to use guys like Lawson. See Quinton Coples and even our own Aaron Maybin when he had 6 sacks in 10 games for Ryan. Right now you just bring him in to make a straight line for the QB every few plays. (Only because he missed all of camp). You can expect more outa him as the season goes on but especially next year. His ceiling being a Shaun Ellis type.

Good point. Didn't Rex get like 10 sacks out of Maybin?

Agreed. Bring him in slowly. He's still a rookie with a lot to learn from not having the training camp and is not in game shape yet.