WR blocking on McCoy's 3rd and 23 run

TPS

While the O-line is getting a lot of well-deserved credit, the WRs should too. Shady doesn't make this first down without the great blocking that happens down field. It almost looks like a designed punt return.

McCoy 23-yard run

I commented on that IMMEDIATELY. Three enormous blocks on that run, one after another.

What bothers me most on this play is it appears that the linebackers target Incognito. Watch how 51 Hodges seems to have a clean shot at Shady from the right side on his stop but appears to be looking at Incognito while 56 Skov takes out his knees.. Trying to take out one of our best blockers.

I'm sure this is just luck. Whaley surely couldn't have sought out smart guys who could actually think on the field.

honestly, hes tended to go after athletes first, intelligence distant second. to have a play like this work out and have so many guys land in the right spots is a whole lot of luck. but good on the WRs and WR coach for having a group that plays to the whistle and are feisty enough to get their jerseys dirty in the run game too

I saw this live and we must have re-watched it 10 times during the next break. It was beautiful 1,2,3 bang, bang, bang. Great blocks and it was something great to see on 3rd and 20. How many times in years past did teams break our hearts and spirits doing this to us?!

I saw this live and we must have re-watched it 10 times during the next break. It was beautiful 1,2,3 bang, bang, bang. Great blocks and it was something great to see on 3rd and 20. How many times in years past did teams break our hearts and spirits doing this to us?!

You mean like how one pats game they were flagged on 3 plays in a row (false start, holding, false start) for 1st and 30 and then threw a 33 yd first down? Had to have been a decade ago but I always remember that series.

While the O-line is getting a lot of well-deserved credit, the WRs should too. Shady doesn't make this first down without the great blocking that happens down field. It almost looks like a designed punt return.

McCoy 23-yard run

It was great downfield blocking and I commented on it at the time in the game thread.

What bothers me most on this play is it appears that the linebackers target Incognito. Watch how 51 Hodges seems to have a clean shot at Shady from the right side on his stop but appears to be looking at Incognito while 56 Skov takes out his knees.. Trying to take out one of our best blockers.

Yeezus! Woods almost ruined Cordy's season on this play too. I was looking at what you pointed out, then saw someone take Glenn's legs out. Re-watching, the guy was pushed by Woods. That play could've cost the Bills big time.

O'Leary had a clean shot at killing the LB on that play and just stood still and cut off his pursuit. Nice clean blocking there.

That was my initial reaction. Smart, clean blocking. Guys could've went for kill shots but laid off.

Good coaching

NO WAY !

Not going to lie. I may have watched this back about 15 times on my re-watch earlier.

Nick O'Leary, man. Kid was immense all day as a blocker.

A thing of beauty. How often have we said that about the Bills ?

EVERYONE WAS ON THE SAME PAGE hat on a hat

This happens more often than you might imagine. ask the All- 22 guys.

sucks too.

It was great downfield blocking. Here's my question. Shady started the play to the left, and then cut back. The Bills had three receivers out to the right, and they didn't go downfield past the stick, which is odd considering it was third and long. Instead, they got into position to make the blocks. So could it be that the play was designed to start left and then cut back? I just thought it was Shady and his great vision and instincts and quickness that made the play work, but maybe that's not the story at all.

It was great downfield blocking. Here's my question. Shady started the play to the left, and then cut back. The Bills had three receivers out to the right, and they didn't go downfield past the stick, which is odd considering it was third and long. Instead, they got into position to make the blocks. So could it be that the play was designed to start left and then cut back? I just thought it was Shady and his great vision and instincts and quickness that made the play work, but maybe that's not the story at all.

I think it was shady that made the play. Once he's behind on the left side, you can see the receivers just standing there on the right like "is the play over?" and then they come in to run support.

Edited by The Wiz

You mean like how one pats game they were flagged on 3 plays in a row (false start, holding, false start) for 1st and 30 and then threw a 33 yd first down? Had to have been a decade ago but I always remember that series.

It seemed to be a Pettine specialty too.

Nice observation. Look at Glenn almost getting his leg torn to shreds too. It is such a dangerous sport.

This is why I'll never say any football player is a wimp. It takes guts to go out there knowing you are a microsecond away from a serious injury.

Also one of my favorite plays in recent memory. Nice front side blocking by the oline, and textbook backside wall by three receivers. Also very nifty piece of running. That kind of 3rd and long conversion will demoralize an opponent. Pretty awesome all around.

This play, thing of beauty. In madden terms, this would be called Awareness and Run blocking. Great effort by the whole team here. Amazing. ThatsOLeary, Powell, and Woods on those cut back blocks for shady to get the 1st.

@billbarnwell

The downfield backside blocking developing out of nowhere on this third-and-20 Shady McCoy run for a first down brings tears to my eyes

CleanLameEmu.gif

Edited by Marty McFly