Lower Bowl - Security Asked Us to Sit Down

jimmy10

Boo security. Anyone that complains that they shouldn't have to stand because they paid good money for their tickets can be argued the same for anyone that wants to stand. Don't like it? Tough titty. Ask customer services to move you to another seat or deal with it.

This is always a big issue at events, applies to concerts as well.

I love to stand the majority of the time, I don't even have seats in most my treestands and I stand for 5 or 6 hours on some days. But I totally get that some people dont like to, and some people physically can't.

I don't like the idea of security doing this based on a complaint. There should be a well communicated rule, printed on tickets, shown on the scoreboard and put on the website.

I would be happy with a stadium policy that says standing in front of someone who really wants to sit is rude, you will be warned and then removed if you violate this rule.

Exceptions are 3rd and 4th downs and during big plays on offense (something like that). Maybe have standing sections so people know what to expect ahead of time.

The issue of standing vs. sitting is the subject of considerable advanced research in Europe due to the crowds that watch the other football. In some stadiums, the seats are made to fold up and the expectation is that everyone will be standing throughout the game. It makes sense that there are no hard and fast rules. On the flip-side, fans should just be considerate of others, especially those sitting behind them.

Good grief, it's not very complicated. Sit your ass down unless there's a big play or the opponents' have a 3d down.

Trying to prove ones machismo by the ability to stand up for 3+ hours while inconveniencing others is pathetic.

That's the way it was for my first 30 or so years of Bills games. The last 5-10, not so much.

It was cool when a running play would look like it could be a big gainer and the whole crowd rises as one. Same with a bomb that has a good chance.............And, of course, being on D and it's third down.

Now, it's all the same. Just stand for the whole thing.

But people in the lower bowl arent using them EVER. I've sat in section 129 the past 3 seasons, and for the home opener this year. There is no sitting. You might, might see the section sit down during a long review or commercial break, but after a minute or two it's right back to standing.

We aren't talking about a good balance, or even what you described in Philly. This is non-stop standing from anthem to the final whistle.

It is the same in my section 142. It is standing the entire time. I really don't mind it but I could see where it gets annoying for older folks or people that have some kind of medical issue.(arthritis, MS). I have gone to quite a few college stadiums during my younger years when I was in college(Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame) & it was always standing although back then we would always sit in the student section which may had something to do with that.

Good grief, it's not very complicated. Sit your ass down unless there's a big play or the opponents' have a 3d down.

Trying to prove ones machismo by the ability to stand up for 3+ hours while inconveniencing others is pathetic.

Exactly!

Standing up for three hours does not prove you are a better super-fan than anyone else..it just proves you don't know any better.

Watch the game. Get up and stand up when the time is right. Respect the people behind you who may not feel the need to stand the entire time (or physical may not be able to do so). Being at a game means respecting others experiences just as much as enjoying yours.

Exactly!

Standing up for three hours does not prove you are a better super-fan than anyone else..it just proves you don't know any better.

Watch the game. Get up and stand up when the time is right. Respect the people behind you who may not feel the need to stand the entire time (or physical may not be able to do so). Being at a game means respecting others experiences just as much as enjoying yours.

That's exactly what some don't seem to get.

I do really like the suggestion of certain sections being deemed standing and others being deemed sitting. They have family sections, why not these designations as well.

I do as well. The problem then becomes which sections. With so many season ticket holders who don't want to move it becomes even more difficult to figure out.

But I think ultimately it would solve a lot of problems and make for an overall better fan experience once they got past the initial headaches.

I do really like the suggestion of certain sections being deemed standing and others being deemed sitting. They have family sections, why not these designations as well.

That's actually not a bad idea, but it would make more sense to bundle them together. Kids can't see when people stand, so would make sense to encourage people to sit in the family sections unless the field activity prompts people to stand.

The issue with enforcing that in a new section is existing ticket holders may not be on-board.

That's exactly what some don't seem to get.

This week I was sitting (not always standing) beside a father and his son. The son must have been eight or nine years old. The people in front of them were continually standing when not necessary. How do you think the game day experience was for the future generation on Bills fans? All the kid saw was the guys crack in front of him for about two thirds of the game.

Edited by Dr Doom

The security is out of hand. Last year during the Houston game someone with a black jacket was acting a fool and security came over and evicted everyone in the entire section with a black jacket. Unfortunate for me as I was wearing a black Bills jacket and even though 2 security guards ID'd the 1 that was acting the fool and said that it wasn't me, 1 guard said he didn't care and kicked me out as well. I then received a letter saying that I am now banned from the stadium. It was their mistake and now I'm banned because I happened to be wearing a black jacket. I typically drive the 400+ miles each way to at least 2 games a year and invest in over $1,000. per game. I will miss going to the games but I won't miss the $$ in my pocket. You need to get it right Buffalo. Now instead of taking my kids to Bills games and raising them to be Bills fans, I will most likely take them to Baltimore and let them decide what team they want to route for.

Can't you just buy tickets off of stub hub and go to the game? I've never been ID'd at the gate..

• Eyeroll 1

I have at least one rule from a few games I've experienced. Please don't stand if you're too drunk to stand, and end up in everyone's lap consistently. Yes, I've witnessed this and it's not fun. I don't have health issues, and have no horses in this race. I just think common sense dictates that it's basically stupid to stand the entire game. As others have mentioned, stand for big plays and defensive series. Why stand when your offense has a first ten and from their own 20? I just don't get it.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

As a fan who has been attending games since 1962 and who spent a lot of times standing in the end zone in the rockpile because the bench seats were so uncomfortable, I believe I know pretty well when to shout, when to shut up, when to stand and when to sit. So here is my plea:

Dear twentysomething- Please, please please stop with the turning your back to the field and exhorting the crowd to make noise by lifting your arms in the air and screaming at them. If you want to be a damn cheerleader, go out for the Jills. I know these knuckleheads get shown on TV occasionally but I can't figure out what in the world you are doing. Often it is accompanied by having to look at the guy shirtless (I provide an exception for women). STOP, JUST STOP.

That's the way it was for my first 30 or so years of Bills games. The last 5-10, not so much.

It was cool when a running play would look like it could be a big gainer and the whole crowd rises as one. Same with a bomb that has a good chance.............And, of course, being on D and it's third down.

Now, it's all the same. Just stand for the whole thing.

I agree, I preferred that way of watching football at the stadium. Kind of just seemed everyone had an unspoken agreement. As I mentioned earlier, playoffs were standing whole game.

I agree, I preferred that way of watching football at the stadium. Kind of just seemed everyone had an unspoken agreement. As I mentioned earlier, playoffs were standing whole game.

I dont remember standing for the playoff games. Certainly first series or 2, but after that dont remember standing whole game. And we were lower bowl back then.

As a fan who has been attending games since 1962 and who spent a lot of times standing in the end zone in the rockpile because the bench seats were so uncomfortable, I believe I know pretty well when to shout, when to shut up, when to stand and when to sit. So here is my plea:

Dear twentysomething- Please, please please stop with the turning your back to the field and exhorting the crowd to make noise by lifting your arms in the air and screaming at them. If you want to be a damn cheerleader, go out for the Jills. I know these knuckleheads get shown on TV occasionally but I can't figure out what in the world you are doing. Often it is accompanied by having to look at the guy shirtless (I provide an exception for women). STOP, JUST STOP.

It is acceptable to shout at knuckleheads who try to start the WAVE when the Bills have the ball, right? :doh:

When I was about 12 at the Rockpile, I actually had a drunk land in my lap.

You know, when I was younger I'd get drunk and rowdy for games. Seeing how some of the fans who are that age that I used to be act really made me feel embarrassed for how I used to behave.

Jesus, some of it was ridiculous.

Same.

(And how ya' been JSP?!)

screw it, you are there to cheer, not sit and lounge

Says who? You? Who died and made you the boss?

Standing the whole game is silly and selfish and disrespectful to other fans who are short, physically can't stand for 3 hours, old, disabled war veterans, or kids, all of which paid the same amount of money as YOU did to WATCH the game (not your back).

What ever happened to common courtesy and respect for fellow fans?

You can yell just as loud sitting (respecting others rights to watch the game) as you can standing.

Edited by reddogblitz

I made the mistake of moving my seats a couple of years ago from the upper deck to the lower bowl. After 2 games, my wife who is 5'3" refused to go to another game because with everyone standing she could not see regardless if she stood as well. Again, she had no issue with standing on defense or in reaction to a big play, it was standing throughout the entire game for no apparent reason. We gave up our seasons this year because of it. She refused to go due to the standing and me finding someone to go to games (due to the standing and general fan behavior) was just too difficult.

I have to believe my wife and I are the kind of customer the team wants to draw, but they certainly don't make it easy. My season ticket rep asked me why we were dropping and when I told her about the standing she rather frustratedly told me its one of the biggest complaint they hear.

I made the mistake of moving my seats a couple of years ago from the upper deck to the lower bowl. After 2 games, my wife who is 5'3" refused to go to another game because with everyone standing she could not see regardless if she stood as well. Again, she had no issue with standing on defense or in reaction to a big play, it was standing throughout the entire game for no apparent reason. We gave up our seasons this year because of it. She refused to go due to the standing and me finding someone to go to games (due to the standing and general fan behavior) was just too difficult.

I have to believe my wife and I are the kind of customer the team wants to draw, but they certainly don't make it easy. My season ticket rep asked me why we were dropping and when I told her about the standing she rather frustratedly told me its one of the biggest complaint they hear.

Interesting

I can certainly understand that...why not move back up top?

I am a many decade season ticket holder. for the last 20 years I have been in Sec 112, behind visitors bench, lower bowl. The crowd has significantly changed.....used to be a sitting crowd...now it stands much of the time. Sunday, we were about 50/50......up for all defensive 3d downs......this section was virtually 100% sitting when I moved there 20 years ago....and now has some games with almost all standing. The crowd is no longer regulars...we used to know those who sat next to us....now, they are all owned by folks who sell the tickets in the secondary market...hence the attendees are mostly one time visitors, and don't have any sort of idea they might be infringing on those who have difficulty standing a lot. I am 71, and likely will have to give up the whole sunday event at New Era. I go for the football, not to drink...although we do eat a lot at our tailgate. But, I have to say....the product on the field is a much bigger problem than the standing up. Really tired of paying for a big league experience that hasn't been in the top half of the big league for 16 years. And, not holding my breath this year again. Fans can complain.....not much will be done. I complained about the water fountains being eliminated. Nothing is done about that either.....they want to sell $5 bottles of water. And, last Sunday...you needed a drink out in the Sun on the north side of the stadium.

Says who? You? Who died and made you the boss?

Standing the whole game is silly and selfish and disrespectful to other fans who are short, physically can't stand for 3 hours, old, disabled war veterans, or kids, all of which paid the same amount of money as YOU did to WATCH the game (not your back).

What ever happened to common courtesy and respect for fellow fans?

You can yell just as loud sitting (respecting others rights to watch the game) as you can standing.

Best fans in the league!!!

:rolleyes:

Games on the road Ive been to they stand all game, its a football game you wanna sit stay at home and plant it on the couch

I've seen the Bills in Oakland, Miami, Jacksonville, KC, Dallas, Indy & Tampa. Never once did I have to stand all game or even 50% of the time.

Edited by LabattBlue

This is the most "I'm old now get off my lawn" post in this thread

Really? Because I hate that dbag, too. There seems to be one in every section..........You must be the one in your section.

as i mentioned up thread,...that annoys me more than anything as well. Thank goodness the kids were right in front of us for the Jets game...my seatmate looks like he could do some damage to not so big 19 year old. When we kindly suggested they sit down, keep their eyes on the field and not the top of the stadium, and stop waving their arms every play or else we may have some issues....and the whole section around was then joined in...they smartened up !!!

Edited by plenzmd1

Games on the road Ive been to they stand all game, its a football game you wanna sit stay at home and plant it on the couch

Everyone can sit; not everyone can stand.

The game isn't just about you; it's about everyone. The Bills' Fan Code of Conduct is quite clear:

http://www.buffalobills.com/tickets/stadium/code-of-conduct.html

"Excessive standing/behavior detracting from the enjoyment of fellow fans. Spontaneous reactions to plays within the game are expected and encouraged, but your continued standing when most other fans are sitting is not permitted."

It's about respecting other fans; the attitude of "buzz off, stand up or watch the game at home" is the antithesis of respect for the fellow fan IMO.

Edited by thebandit27

Everyone can sit; not everyone can stand.

The game isn't just about you; it's about everyone. The Bills' Fan Code of Conduct is quite clear:

http://www.buffalobills.com/tickets/stadium/code-of-conduct.html

"Excessive standing/behavior detracting from the enjoyment of fellow fans. Spontaneous reactions to plays within the game are expected and encouraged, but your continued standing when most other fans are sitting is not permitted."

It's about respecting other fans; the attitude of "buzz off, stand up or watch the game at home" is the antithesis of respect for the fellow fan IMO.

Bravo, sir!