opposing coaches now have game tape

HelloNewman

I have not seen this talked about yet.

Has anyone considered why Tyrod is not doing as good this year because opposing coaches now have a full season of game tape to help them plan ways to shut him down and can study his tendencies?

What do you think?

The Jets had 13 games before last seasons finale, they had a whopping 1 more game before this years matchup.

Tyrod is simply not playing well, the defenses arent really doing anything special.

Maybe part of the answer is that we have a #1 WR is Sammy who is playing hurt or totally misused (2 games 6 targets) or both. We have nothing close to a number 2 or number 3 WR. Goodwin would be great in a flag league. Woods is a joke. One TE that plays half hearted and two TEs that should not be in the league, a fullback that is on the team, off the team, on the team. Baby Gronk was nowhere near NFL material but his name was Gronkowski so we kept him.

Tyrod is not a quarterback that will ever win it in the 4th quarter consistently. Either we get out in front and cruise or the team loses.

Edited by jumbalaya

Has anyone considered why Tyrod is not doing as good this year because opposing coaches now have a full season of game tape to help them plan ways to shut him down and can study his tendencies?

What do you think?

I think Baltimore had years to know what Tyrod was good and not so good at, including film review of camp and practice every day for several years.

So if a full year of tape was bad, starting the year against an opponent that drafted and coached the same guy from the beginning for 4 seasons couldn't have helped.

Maybe part of the answer is that we have a #1 WR is Sammy who is playing hurt or totally misused (2 games 6 targets) or both. We have nothing close to a number 2 or number 3 WR. Goodwin would be great in a flag league. Woods is a joke. One TE that plays half hearted and two TEs that should not be in the league, a fullback that is on the team, off the team, on the team. Baby Gronk was nowhere near NFL material but his name was Gronkowski so we kept him.

Tyrod is not a quarterback that will ever win it in the 4th quarter consistently. Either we get out in front and cruise or the team loses.

FWIW , Sammy says he feels fine and the foot is no big deal. Says he's been surprised how well he's been able to do certain things that he was unsure of and should help him going forward. SW has been open a lot so I don't think it's been an issue. TT has just not been making good reads and going where the progression should be taking him. Other times he has sailed passes (Ravens) or thrown them low( Jets) . Actually , Woods has been open for what should have been big plays if TT looked his way. Most of the issues land at TT's feet right now.

Through all the threads you have said this I can't tell if you are trolling because you think he can't be a QB or you are just saying it because you want him to be one.

I want more than anything for him to be a QB. But it's glaringly obvious that he has a long way to go based on the All 22 of the first couple weeks. I thought he showed enough last year that, with an offseason of studying the same tapes opposing coaches do, that he would take the next step and start making defenses pay for what they are giving him on a play to play basis. And they are giving him a TON of stuff but he's either not seeing it, doesn't have the green light to check into better plays, or a combination of both.

But I definitely want him to be a good QB.

If that is true, you sure have a funny way of showing it.

In fact, your actions speak so loudly I can't hear what you are saying.

Perhaps you should read EVERY post I've made about TT since training camp LAST YEAR and you will know just how out of line you are here.

Feel free to go find somebody who actually doesn't like TT. In the meantime, I'll continue to offer honest criticism of his play.

Perhaps you should read EVERY post I've made about TT since training camp LAST YEAR and you will know just how out of line you are here.

Feel free to go find somebody who actually doesn't like TT. In the meantime, I'll continue to offer honest criticism of his play.

Not to mention that was word for word Baltimore's gameplan straight from their defense.

Edited by jmc12290

Its a mostly free country still. You can say whatever you want about the guy. Its just an opinion.

And you are free to mock the guy like he is the worst qb in the league out of one side of your mouth as you claim to want him to succeed out of the other side of your mouth.

I'm just saying your actions don't backup what you claim your opinion of him is. Not trying to pick a fight with you. But your **** stinks too.

Not to mention that was word for word Baltimore's gameplan straight from their defense.

That quote said more about the state of TT's game and what opposing teams think of it than anything. Essentially, they have called him out and daring him to take what they are giving him. When it comes to defense, it's more a matter of knowing what you CAN'T do as opposed to what you CAN. The tape suggests teams assume TT CAN'T do a lot.

Its a mostly free country still. You can say whatever you want about the guy. Its just an opinion.

And you are free to mock the guy like he is the worst qb in the league out of one side of your mouth as you claim to want him to succeed out of the other side of your mouth.

I'm just saying your actions don't backup what you claim your opinion of him is. Not trying to pick a fight with you. But your **** stinks too.

Stink as bad as Tyrod on 3rd and 5 tho ?

Like I said, my history of posts regarding TT suggests I think far more of him than you know. But go ahead and continue to let a few posts tell the whole story because it fits your assumption. Good for you. But I'm done with you.

Like I said, my history of posts regarding TT suggests I think far more of him than you know. But go ahead and continue to let a few posts tell the whole story because it fits your assumption. Good for you. But I'm done with you.

Sorry if I don't follow you around and read every post you have ever written. I didn't know that was a requirement of discussing football here.

You're right that I made that comment based on what I read from you today and no it had nothing to do with the "make him a quarterback" quote. It was based on other comments in other threads.

Sorry if it is not the impression you wanted to portray or not the real mindset you have toward the guy. I'm just calling as I see it based on what I read tonight. It honestly looked like you were just a bandwagon guy who was going with the attitude that everything wrong with this team is Tyrod's fault.

You say your not. Fine by me. I'll take you at your word.

Sorry if I don't follow you around and read every post you have ever written. I didn't know that was a requirement of discussing football here.

You're right that I made that comment based on what I read from you today and no it had nothing to do with the "make him a quarterback" quote. It was based on other comments in other threads.

Sorry if it is not the impression you wanted to portray or not the real mindset you have toward the guy. I'm just calling as I see it based on what I read tonight. It honestly looked like you were just a bandwagon guy who was going with the attitude that everything wrong with this team is Tyrod's fault.

You say your not. Fine by me. I'll take you at your word.

It probably should be a requirement of trying to malign someone personally.

What do you think?

It's definitely the main topic in the Taylor Regressed thread.

I think Baltimore had years to know what Tyrod was good and not so good at, including film review of camp and practice every day for several years.

So if a full year of tape was bad, starting the year against an opponent that drafted and coached the same guy from the beginning for 4 seasons couldn't have helped.

You know people said the same thing about Eli Manning his 1st few years at QB. I live in NJ and NY and NJ HATED Eli. Said the same thing your saying. Eli got better and became a really good clutch QB. Its unlikely but possible TT gets better.

You know people said the same thing about Eli Manning his 1st few years at QB. I live in NJ and NY and NJ HATED Eli. Said the same thing your saying. Eli got better and became a really good clutch QB. Its unlikely but possible TT gets better.

eli is and always has been first round talent. Tyrod Taylor. Not so much

I think Tyrod's biggest limitation was Roman's play calling. Here's hoping Anthony Lynn let's it all hang out.

Let's pray this is the case. It's been a long, long season already and we need some spark. Somehow even if we manage to turn it around, I have absolutely no confidence in Hex Ryan. He's bad juju for this team and I wish he were gone.

The running game has been poor. In the first (2) games they have rushed for just 151 total yards. In the first (2) games last season the Bills had 307 rushing yards.

It is a classic football problem (and Bills problem) when the running game isn't working. It puts the offense into a greater than usual amount of 3rd and long situations- obvious passing downs- that gives defenses the advantage and the QB the disadvantage.

Last year they were doing much better at creating third and short situations which gives the offense the advantage. The defense has to prepare for the run or the pass- which can reduce the number of blitzes and the number of DBs in coverage.

Get the running game going and Tyrod will be better.

What do you think?

It was talked about a bit here and there in other threads. Some recap from what I remember/think:

- Taylor's passing stats through 2 games are pretty similar to his from last season, except for his QBR which is notably lower this season.

- His rushing stats are down from last season.

- Most have concluded that he's trying to be more of a pocket passer than last season (either of his own volition or due to coaching/play calls), but that he's been pretty much exactly the same as last season as a passer. Him being "the guy" through the whole offseason hasn't resulted in the growth we've hoped for.

What do you think?

The guy is a gimmick QB, Alex Smith would look real good right about now. Whaley is a joke of a GM .....

The Jets had 13 games before last seasons finale, they had a whopping 1 more game before this years matchup.

Tyrod is simply not playing well, the defenses arent really doing anything special.

I am starting to think Tyrod's biggest weakness is his inability to sustain drives. There were times last year 3rd & 4 or 5 where he could of ran for the first down but chose not to. Against the jets when he threw that int down the sideline on 3rd down, he had someone wide open in the flat(not sure who it was) he would of picked up the first down easily. Instead he throws the ball 30 yards down field. He has got to be better at that.

Edited by Gordio

Through all the threads you have said this I can't tell if you are trolling because you think he can't be a QB or you are just saying it because you want him to be one.

Simply because the opposing teams in two consecutive weeks, when asked about how the Defense neutralized Tyrod, stated these exact sentiments in the post-game pressers.

The guy is a gimmick QB, Alex Smith would look real good right about now. Whaley is a joke of a GM .....

You mean that #1 overall pick who legit sucked for his first 5 years in the league? And probably got his first GM fired...?

I am starting to think Tyrod's biggest weakness is his inability to sustain drives. There were times last year 3rd & 4 or 5 where he could of ran for the first down but chose not to. Against the jets when he threw that int down the sideline on 3rd down, he had someone wide open in the flat(not sure who it was) he would of picked up the first down easily. Instead he throws the ball 30 yards down field. He has got to be better at that.

Hated the throw on that one, because it was a bad throw. Love the idea, because i figured we'd go for it on 4th down anyway.

Edited by dneveu

Part of it is likely the effectiveness of the running game, though I believe this year the philosophy will have to be flipped and we will need to Pass to open up the Run. Just my opinion based on how defenses have set up against us. The other part, and I believe this is our entire coaching staff's biggest failure, is that you need to tailor your schemes to your personnel's strengths. Tyrod is exceptional when he is on the move, able to extend plays, and he keeps his eyes downfield for the big plays that really hurt the defense. If it is clear that the defense wants to keep him in the pocket, why are we scheming to help them? Let's get some moving pockets, some designed rollouts, and some run/pass options to force defenses to adjust to our talent's strengths instead of playing directly into their hand.

Simply because the opposing teams in two consecutive weeks, when asked about how the Defense neutralized Tyrod, stated these exact sentiments in the post-game pressers.

And it seemed like Roman's game plan was to create impossible 3rd down situations. I feel like his run plays were very predictable zone runs to the edge. If you're disciplined and stay in your gap, and your corners can tackle, you will blow them up more often than not.

Why not run from under center, split your receivers out wider, add a slot receiver. Make them decide if they want to play nickel or base D. Then we have the advantage of quick passing depending on how they line up, as well as adding clay or a full back as a lead blocker to try and open up holes to get a few yards.

Edited by dneveu

I'll defend this stance. I also like TT but your 100% dead on. He needs to become a QB. Opposing D coordinators now have a blue print. Make him be a QB is simple. He has to make decisions throwing the ball down field. His reads have been atrocious and has missed WR's that have been wide open. Edited by BeefCurtns

And it seemed like Roman's game plan was to create impossible 3rd down situations. I feel like his run plays were very predictable zone runs to the edge. If you're disciplined and stay in your gap, and your corners can tackle, you will blow them up more often than not.

Why not run from under center, split your receivers out wider, add a slot receiver. Make them decide if they want to play nickel or base D. Then we have the advantage of quick passing depending on how they line up, as well as adding clay or a full back as a lead blocker to try and open up holes to get a few yards.

Obviously, no way of knowing definitively but I would say this sums up some of the frustrations Rex and Co. had with Roman. This, also makes it difficult to say without equivocation that Tyrod *can't* be the type of QB Buffalo needs, because it's a bit of the chicken-egg scenario. However, in full disclosure I've not been sold on Tyrod since he was brought in, but supported him and hoped he could turn the corner for the sake of making the BILLS a legitimate playoff contender. However, I just think an NFL caliber - franchise QB over the LONG term, is a pocket passer who can read Defenses, call audibles, and make the necessary throws but does not necessarily have to have a rocket launcher for an arm, just strong enough, especially in Buffalo (until we get a dome-esque type field).