EJ Manuel

Nix was three sheets towards retirement at the point where "they" passed on Wilson and subsequently had to blow a pick on EJ.

Rex's only blessing so far was making Whaley go after TT.

Having TT in Buffalo might be a blessing indeed.

Being a New Era and such.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ has the first round curse.

I think he could be a very good backup and have a nice long career as a #2 guy. Those QBs are few and far between and very much needed in the league.

He could make some nice $ not get hurt very much and be appreciated as a great team guy who could play a few games if needed.

However, since he was a 1st round pick none of that is going to be good enough.

I watched the game......extended action for EJ. I have been watching him four years now.......he kept his head mostly against Washington. But, his long throws were bad....he has never been able to throw the long ball accurately like TT. He still misses by 5-10 yards. A strong arm....YES....and accurate arm, NO. Sooooooohe will be our backup this year....but I am not sure he gives our bills a chance to win........here in Buffalo, he will never live down the meltdown in London against the Jags. (even though he brought the bills back and they had a chance to pull it out at the end) EJ is playing out the contract here....and I wish him good luck where ever he lands next year. Always a class act...he just doesn't have #1 skills in the NFL.

I saw Bill Polian's comments on ESPN just after the Bills brain trust drafted EJ. Polian was beside himself, calling EJ a project etc etc. Turns out Polian was correct....but the alternative...Gino of the Jets was probabily a worse choice. The Bills just drafted a first round QB in a bad QB year. Shows front office weakness....Polian knew, none of the Bills brain trust knew.

Which QBs have been drafted and developed by Green Bay ? Brian Brohm, Matt Flynn, Graham Harrell? Certainly some blue chip guys lol.

Wow, your football knowledge is blue chip. Try Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselback, Aaron Brooks, and some Favre guy. Not one of these guys was picked with a 1st round pick and all became decent to good starters in the league.

I watched the game......extended action for EJ. I have been watching him four years now.......he kept his head mostly against Washington. But, his long throws were bad....he has never been able to throw the long ball accurately like TT. He still misses by 5-10 yards. A strong arm....YES....and accurate arm, NO. Sooooooohe will be our backup this year....but I am not sure he gives our bills a chance to win........here in Buffalo, he will never live down the meltdown in London against the Jags. (even though he brought the bills back and they had a chance to pull it out at the end) EJ is playing out the contract here....and I wish him good luck where ever he lands next year. Always a class act...he just doesn't have #1 skills in the NFL.

I saw Bill Polian's comments on ESPN just after the Bills brain trust drafted EJ. Polian was beside himself, calling EJ a project etc etc. Turns out Polian was correct....but the alternative...Gino of the Jets was probabily a worse choice. The Bills just drafted a first round QB in a bad QB year. Shows front office weakness....Polian knew, none of the Bills brain trust knew.

He threw one long pass the entire game. And is this the Polian who basically built Indy on one player. And when that one player went down, they went 1-15. He crushed it drafting Qbs (well when he got to pick them with top 5 overall picks!).

Wow, your football knowledge is blue chip. Try Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselback, Aaron Brooks, and some Favre guy. Not one of these guys was picked with a 1st round pick and all became decent to good starters ....

Hmmm. Favre was acquired by the Packers in a trade a year or so after he got drafted so he wasn't a Packers pick. The other QBs you cite are ancient history and are from a different management / coaching regime compared to the Ted Thompson / Mike McCarthy era .

Wow, your football knowledge is blue chip.

And is this the Polian who basically built Indy on one player. And when that one player went down, they went 1-15.

The irony meter just broke.

Try E. James, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, Pat McAfee, and a bunch of O-linemen (Ryan Diem) who started/contributed right away, as well as role players like Austin Collie.

That guy was ready to go day one. Only reason he sat was another Hall of Fame QB being in front of him.

That's actually not what Rodgers and other QB guru types say - they say his passing skill and game knowledge both developed considerably during his years on the bench. But you can assert whatever you like because it can never be proven or disproven.

I think all this is missing the telling point. When GB traded for Favre, they had an established QB who had set franchise records and won playoffs, Don Majkowski (but also suffered from injury) and also had acquired Mike Tomczak from the Bears. They had Favre when they drafted Hasselbeck. They had Favre when they drafted Rodgers, they could afford to let him sit. They had Rodgers when they drafted Brohm, they could afford a dud.

Historically, something like 50% of QB drafted in the 1st round don't become starters and it goes down to 30% at the top of the 2nd round and falls rapidly. The point isn't that a team should be admired because every draft choice they make at QB proves out. The point is that they're taking their shots, and taking them before they need to, so that they don't have to succeed.

That's the real problem with the EJ draft choice. By waiting until they were sure Fitz wouldn't work for them, the Bills put themselves in a position where they needed their QB draftee to work out and they needed to draft in a weak class. By releasing Fitz and trying to replace him with the oft-injured and beaten on Kolb, they put EJ in a position where he needed to succeed immediately. If the Bills had been drafting QB all along, people could probably criticize their choices saying "yeah, who have they succeeded with?" but by waiting to draft until they really needed a guy, they put themselves in position to fail.

Name one other qb available that would be a better backup....there isn't one! What the hell do you people want out of this guy?

I agree that it appears EJ is going to be a decent backup this season. Take away 5 mins in the Jax game and he wasn't terrible in that role last year.

It's the people who still are trying to stir the pot between him and Taylor, that are annoying. I have a feeling these people are probably just pot stirrers.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

We need to move on from EJ cause we need Cardale Jones to be ready to assume #2 when EJ's rookie contract runs out. We are 4 years in and if he is still looking like a deer in the headlights I think odds are that isnt going to magically change. All of you working for the social media team for the PR firm he hired have done a good job but didnt have much to work with. Kudos to you.

I agree that it appears EJ is going to be a decent backup this season. Take away 5 mins in the Jax game and he wasn't terrible in that role last year.

It's the people who still are trying to stir the pot between him and Taylor, that are annoying. I have a feeling these people are probably just pot stirrers.

bunch of cotton headed ninny muggins.

I just suffered through the third Broncos preseason game, which tells you more about my life (Saturday night? I really had nothing better to do?) than it does about anything else. Trevor Siemien is well on the way to starting Game 1 against the Panthers. He looked ... marginally adequate. EJ would easily beat him out. And those are our SB champs, still in a great position to win the division and maybe more because the defense is that good, and the receiving corps is that good too. One thought kept going through my mind watching the game: the Bills are in a fortunate QB position relative to a lot of teams ...

That QB class is looking flat out horrendous. EJ geno and Zac Desert are all competing for the best QB from that class

I was outta town on Friday, just watched the DVR of the game. I don't understand the EJ haterz, because from where I'm sitting, he played a good to great game. Pocket presence? He eluded (alluded for the grammatically challenged) the rush at least 6 times that I counted, slipping tackles and making some big gains with his feet (holding call on JCP was total BS). EJ only had a pocket on a handful of plays in the 2nd half. That throw to JCP on the 8-yd line of the last drive was absolutely perfect, just over the arms of the Native American's defender and only where JCP could catch it. Little dropped at least 3 balls I counted (memo to Little, it's the NFL, you have to catch non-room-service passes). Dez Lewis? C'mon man.

If that's the kind of play we can expect from our backup QB, then we're in great shape. We were supposably the team with the worst backup QB situation in the league. EJ has now clearly outplayed 3 NFL team's backups, so we're at worst 29th. Now if only the defense can learn to tackle....

Edited by Freddie's Dead

I was outta town on Friday, just watched the DVR of the game. I don't understand the EJ haterz, because from where I'm sitting, he played a good to great game. Pocket presence? He eluded (alluded for the grammatically challenged) the rush at least 6 times that I counted, slipping tackles and making some big gains with his feet (holding call on JCP was total BS). EJ only had a pocket on a handful of plays in the 2nd half. That throw to JCP on the 8-yd line of the last drive was absolutely perfect, just over the arms of the Native American's defender and only where JCP could catch it. Little dropped at least 3 balls I counted (memo to Little, it's the NFL, you have to catch non-room-service passes). Dez Lewis? C'mon man.

If that's the kind of play we can expect from our backup QB, then we're in great shape. We were supposably the team with the worst backup QB situation in the league. EJ has now clearly outplayed 3 NFL team's backups, so we're at worst 29th. Now if only the defense can learn to tackle....

I saw the same thing. Look, the Bills -- like pretty much every other NFL team -- are up the proverbial crap creek without a paddle if their starter goes down for an extended period. That's kind of a given in this league. But would I be more comfortable (still uncomfortable, but more comfortable) with EJ starting than, say, Geno Smith? Sure.