New Miami offense making opponents sick, literally

NoSaint

a hurry up offense with their defense is a recipe for disaster...not to mention their o-line and issues in the running game. Also, Jordan Cameron is terrible so not having a reliable pass catching tight end is another knock on it.

They don't have the personnel for it.

Honestly, the stuff coming from Gase is either a huge smokescreen or he thinks because it works in practice against his potentially historically bad secondary that it will work in games against other teams.

a hurry up offense with their defense is a recipe for disaster...not to mention their o-line and issues in the running game. Also, Jordan Cameron is terrible so not having a reliable pass catching tight end is another knock on it.

They don't have the personnel for it.

Honestly, the stuff coming from Gase is either a huge smokescreen or he thinks because it works in practice against his potentially historically bad secondary that it will work in games against other teams.

Agreed.

Bring it on. It has potential to be an epic disaster.

Agreed.

Bring it on. It has potential to be an epic disaster.

While I basically agree, if they COULD move the chains some it would really suck in that heat! More likely they put their D back out quickly, but that heat could be a double whammy.

Didn't Marrone/Hackett try it with EJ his rookie year?

Another feather in the cap of those two geniuses. I still cannot fathom how they are not at the top of the food chain in coaching by now. A veritable mystery to this day for me.

But, let's not pretend like Bruce wasn't without his faults. The guy missed a playoff game with a "flu."

He didn't have a "flu." He had influenza. 103 degree fever, too weak to stand. To suggest that he was loafing or called off sick is ignorant.

kj

He didn't have a "flu." He had influenza. 103 degree fever, too weak to stand. To suggest that he was loafing or called off sick is ignorant.

kj

Very true. I do remember hearing though that he had not taken (would not take) the flu shot.

As for Mario, he apparently is putting in the same amount of effort so far this year as he did last year. Omar Kelly also wrote that he could not disengage.

I am sure that, if Mario does not play well for the Dolphins, the usual suspects will try to blame Rex . . . .

kj

I'll admit I was young during that game but I do remember a lot of folks questioning how sick he was or if it could be prevented.

Remember Fridgegate during Mario's first training camp and geniuses like Jerry Sullivan trying to run him out of town? This is the kind of stories you write during training camp and then look stupid once the season starts.

Hey, it would be great if Mario was washed up and Lawson turns into a star. But let's wait for the regular season to make judgments.

Nothing could make me happier than hearing that the Dolphins will try to run a hurry-up offense with Ryan Tannehill at the helm. What are the records for most INTs and most 3-and-outs in a season?

Well, we were 2nd worse in the NFL at 3 and outs last year, so we probably shouldn't throw stones.

I think some of you are sleeping on Gase. At first, I thought he just rode Peyton for a job. But he helped Tebow start NFL games and completely changed his offense. He made Culter not a completely awful d bag.

I'm not a big fan of Tannehill and think your ceiling is limited with him. But I do think Gase can make him into a decent NFL qb. We'll see though.

I'll admit I was young during that game but I do remember a lot of folks questioning how sick he was or if it could be prevented.

Remember Fridgegate during Mario's first training camp and geniuses like Jerry Sullivan trying to run him out of town? This is the kind of stories you write during training camp and then look stupid once the season starts.

Hey, it would be great if Mario was washed up and Lawson turns into a star. But let's wait for the regular season to make judgments.

He has lost a step. Believe it or not. He also doesn't care. We shall see how he performs, of course, but I feel confident about my prediction that he's going to be a net minus for them. He'll be playing against LTs, btw.

Also, re: Bruce, I'm a little surprised at your lack of knowledge about that! He was close to death's door by all reports (not that he was going to die, but it's worth noting that flu kills tens of thousands of people every year in the US). It was a bad flu that year ( https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss4903a2.htm). Not sure if you've ever had the real flu -- i.e., influenza and not a bad cold -- but no one, and I mean no one, can play an NFL playoff game with one. Influenza is horrible. The controversy was that he didn't take his flu shot at the beginning of the year. That's the only way he could have prevented it.

Edited by dave mcbride

Except he did fall flat when the season started. It took him about half the season to get going.

Well, except that minor detail of him playing with a damaged hand.

Funny how there was always an excuse when he didn't play well. First it was the Jets with illegal hands to the face, then it was the injuries

Funny how there was always an excuse when he didn't play well. First it was the Jets with illegal hands to the face, then it was the injuries

I think it's pretty clear that the hand/wrist issue was bothering him considering that he had 3.5 sacks in the 7 games before the "clean-up procedure" and 7.0 sacks in the 9 games that followed it.

In the comments there, someone's bitching that they've fallen short the past four years, and when is it going to change?...

How quaint.

I liked the headline of the article on the sidebar: "Here is a chance for Dolphins fans to overdose on the sweet drug of optimism"

So that's what we Bills fans have been doing lo these 16 years each preseason. Who knew?

Edited by Hopeful

I think it's pretty clear that the hand/wrist issue was bothering him considering that he had 3.5 sacks in the 7 games before the "clean-up procedure" and 7.0 sacks in the 9 games that followed it.

He certainly did. But as we all recall it was a rather odd procedure that he kept in the dark, and wasn't fully forthright with his coaches about his medical condition. And how often do we see arthroscopic procedures that are conducted and healed within two weeks? Or was the procedure largely a superficial placebo to help a player in a fragile state of mind?

As we all saw in SB 25 ball control is the kryptonite to this style. Good thing the Bills employ it!

On a side note... Playing sports year round as a kid I never once threw up from playing. It would really surprise me if a professional athlete would in the second preseason game where I doubt they are going 110% and are only playing for a quarter or 2. Nobody else has substantiated this comment from Landry and I'm thinking it may be a bit of hyperbole.

Professional athletes throw up all the time

It is your bodies response to your heart rate being too high. In some cases it is from pushing "too hard" and in some cases it is a case of just fitness. Not surprising that maybe some out of shape guys are in the August heat in Miami, get some of the dry heaves.

You guys know is preseason right?

Maybe Mario has lost a few steps and last year truly was a sign of this, but I'd wait until at least October to make that call.

If it was his 1st time with effort issues, sure. He had problems in Houston and then went on to have a few good years here then took a year off. He got called out for it. He has been asked about in camp and then came out and got embarrassed looking like he had no idea how to tackle.

If that first series means anything, Mario is done. Rumors of his loss of explosion are well founded.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario sucks donkey #&$* for quarters. I had to edit that myself b.c the filter just let it fly. Edited by Beef Jerky

If that first series means anything, Mario is done. Rumors of his loss of explosion are well founded.

GO BILLS!!!

Arian Foster had a couple nice runs there. Dunno how much he has left in the tank, but that man WAS Houston's offense for several years - scary good vision and ability to avoid.

I do hope we have a run D this year (whether or not Foster has anything left)

He got pushed around pretty good and seemed to do the same old dance out on the edge with the RT. The comments about him not being able to disengage seem solid. But he's probably waiting for the regular season to turn it on.... :thumbsup:

I'm reminded of the Wannstache D after we signed Mario, where we were all "in alt" that with Mario W., Dareus, and Kyle Williams "we had the best DL in the NFL, on paper".

Concern emerged during the preseason, but we were told "oh, it's preseason, those guys just aren't turning it on, don't worry"

Well, then.

Putting out effort (maximum or minimal) turns out to be a habit.

Professional athletes throw up all the time

It is your bodies response to your heart rate being too high. In some cases it is from pushing "too hard" and in some cases it is a case of just fitness. Not surprising that maybe some out of shape guys are in the August heat in Miami, get some of the dry heaves.

I agree with the latter. In fact there's a conditioning class at a club popular with high school athletes here which commonly has kids wretching over a trash can.

But is the former really true? I mean, soccer which is one of the most conditioning-demanding sports - even basketball - you don't see players hurling, do you?

Would it be fair to say that it's more a factor in a sport that prioritizes factors other than top CV conditioning (such as strength, and for the lines, sheer mass), and even there, is a sign that the players haven't yet achieved a desirable level of fitness?