New Miami offense making opponents sick, literally

NoSaint

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/24/new-miami-offense-making-opponents-sick-literally/

"I think you look at that game there were a couple of guys on their team throwing up while we were driving, so itll be interesting to see for four quarters if those d-lines can hold up against our tempo and the way we want to move the ball down the field"

"Whenever youre in an offense where you dont huddle, and dont have to huddle, and youre always on the ball, that creates a sense of chaos for the defense so theyre running around trying to get the right personnel on the field"

Will be an interesting test for our communication on defense. forcing us to simplify might even end up being a good thing, honestly. it could be an good chess match for us though. Edited by NoSaint

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/24/new-miami-offense-making-opponents-sick-literally/

Will be an interesting test for our communication on defense. forcing us to simplify might even end up being a good thing, honestly. it could be an good chess match for us though.

A hurry-up offense is always a double edged sword.

If they stay on the field and sustain, it could make the opponents defense sick.

If they go 3 and out a lot or hurridly make mistakes, it could make their own defense sick (from not getting any breather) especially if the opponents offense takes a ball control, stay on the field and sustain drives mentality.

But yeah, it was an Achilles heal for us last year with a lot of teams trying to exploit the complexity/communication of Rex's D

Edited by Hopeful

He's mentioned quite often down here and not in a positive light. The whole defense is apparently already mumbling under their breaths regarding the WIDE 9 they are running. It puts tremendous amount of strain on your LBers and Miami is very deficient at that position.

He's mentioned quite often down here and not in a positive light. The whole defense is apparently already mumbling under their breaths regarding the WIDE 9 they are running. It puts tremendous amount of strain on your LBers and Miami is very deficient at that position.

Kiko taking a hit also

but......I thought Miami's D was PERFECT for Mario?

its august still....

schematically its a good fit. its also pretty basic for him in terms of assignments so its not like killing himself in preseason is highly beneficial.

Anyone notice just how bad Mario Williams looked this past week?

Remember all those dominant Bruce Smith preseason games? Oh wait, he faked injuries and skipped camp most of the time.

For long term vets with their spots secured, preseason is just something you hope to get out of without an injury.

If they stay on the field and sustain, it could make the opponents defense sick.

If they go 3 and out a lot or hurridly make mistakes, it could make their own defense sick (from not getting any breather) especially if the opponents offense takes a ball control, stay on the field and sustain drives mentality.

But yeah, it was an Achilles heal for us last year with a lot of teams trying to exploit the complexity/communication of Rex's D

Good post. I hate when teams say they are going to be a strictly hurry up team. It's stupid. I think you need to switch up the tempo at various times through the game.

Remember all those dominant Bruce Smith preseason games? Oh wait, he faked injuries and skipped camp most of the time.

For long term vets with their spots secured, preseason is just something you hope to get out of without an injury.

Not when you are on a new team, new system and are coming of a year remembered for basically quitting on your team mates. I respectfully disagree.

And their defensive backfield stinks too, right?

Not when you are on a new team, new system and are coming of a year remembered for basically quitting on your team mates. I respectfully disagree.

No one will give 2 craps about preseason game 2 once the regular season starts.

And no player in Miami probably even remembers what happen to Mario in Buffalo. Players don't care as much as media or fans do.

it doesnt sound like its a new system for him. and i dont think he cares what fans think of him.

if he shows up in september itll be a total non-story though. if i was the GM i might be a little anxious about that, but if he was playing 110% and like it was the super bowl i might be even more worried in august.

And no player in Miami probably even remembers what happen to Mario in Buffalo. Players don't care as much as media or fans do.

in fact, their first hand experience with mario was him abusing them a few times. playing in this scheme against them he racked up 4.5 sacks in 2 games

As we all saw in SB 25 ball control is the kryptonite to this style. Good thing the Bills employ it!

On a side note... Playing sports year round as a kid I never once threw up from playing. It would really surprise me if a professional athlete would in the second preseason game where I doubt they are going 110% and are only playing for a quarter or 2. Nobody else has substantiated this comment from Landry and I'm thinking it may be a bit of hyperbole.

in fact, their first hand experience with mario was him abusing them a few times. playing in this scheme against them he racked up 4.5 sacks in 2 games

For Miami and Tannehill, it was a win to just get rid of Mario from the Bills. Mario nearly killed RT a few times and single handedly beat them one game.

But he's the worst football player ever now! :)

For Miami and Tannehill, it was a win to just get rid of Mario from the Bills. Mario nearly killed RT a few times and single handedly beat them one game.

yea, mario motivated against the right side of our line worries me a little. we will see what roman/kromer put together to keep him in check though.

I'm not scared of Miami's hurry up offense at all...

If it was another team like Pittsburgh talking about running it, I'd be worried.

Sounds much like Buffalo's plans to run the hurry up in recent years. Great idea, unless your team sucks.

If Miami was smart, they would allow RT to move around move. He will never be a great pocket qb but he is one of the most athletic Qbs in the NFL.

Who's talking about the fans and what they think? I am talking about media comments made from his struggles in practice and remarks made by NFL GMs during the off season.

it doesnt sound like its a new system for him. and i dont think he cares what fans think of him.

if he shows up in september itll be a total non-story though. if i was the GM i might be a little anxious about that, but if he was playing 110% and like it was the super bowl i might be even more worried in august.

Again, not talking about the fans perception. I get that of he opens the season with 3 sacks its a non-issue. Im just telling you what the word is in So Fla.

Watch the film from last year. What a difference a year makes....and stop over exaggerating, no one called him the worst player.

Sounds like coaching issue to me. Not a Mario issue.

Edited by Dopey

Yes, Bruce liked to take it easy during the preseason, but come opening day, and every day thereafter, he was ready to bring it. ( once he matured after his first year or two) Mario likes to turn it up when he feels like it. He is not nearly the player Bruce was and never will be. They should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

What kind of article is that? I felt like I was reading a typical post on TBD...

Dolphins beat writers are pretty much the worst. At least it wasn't Omar.

Can we trade Sully and Bucky to them for writers to be named in the future? I am sure their bashing of Bills would make them popular there.

Yes, Bruce liked to take it easy during the preseason, but come opening day, and every day thereafter, he was ready to bring it. ( once he matured after his first year or two) Mario likes to turn it up when he feels like it. He is not nearly the player Bruce was and never will be. They should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

1) I consider Bruce the best player to ever play for the Bills, not including probable murderers. He is arguably a top 3 DE of all time.

But, let's not pretend like Bruce wasn't without his faults. The guy missed a playoff game with a "flu." And let's not pretend like he went hard every snap of his career. That's the beauty of being a DE. One tackle of a qb a game gets you a lot of money.

2) no one will be as good as Bruce. But no one was questioning Mario prior to Rex. And Mario was right. The defense sucked.

3) prior to Rex, Mario was the 2nd best DE in Bills' history. He was really, really good and one of the franchise's best FA signings ever.

With the season starting, it's time to turn the page. Personally, I'd rather have an elite talent at a premium position over what looks like an average at best head coach. If Rex's defense shows improvement and Mario looks like a player who is rapid decline, I will gladly admit I was completely wrong.

But give the plan to replace Mario, it looks very, very flawed. This could be the Levitre situation all over again but Mario was much, much better than him and plays a much important position.