Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

I just double checked - 700k difference in tenders. It seems easy to say you tender higher then get a comp pick in a year when you let him walk.

Or the Pats go sign someone else. They aren't known for giving up draft picks. They like to accumulate them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what happens when the opposing D barely even tries to cover you. He was an afterthought. That was an anomaly to be sure, but Hogan is not some unique talent in the league that PIT obviously schemed to take away all week yet he just beat the coverage anyway.

Steelers played zone defense.

Lol on blaming him for the disaster O in St Luis. Funny thing is Salad was probably the best WR they had when he was there lol. The talent level there sucked! And it's obvious the Rams don't feel the same way as you and a lot of other bills fans do as they are interviewing him. As for Denver he was young and not ready yet.. Brady says McDaniels is the best OC he has ever had. (That includes O'Brien and Weis)

Please, PatsFan, stick with what you know. McDaniels was a disaster as OC in St Louis, and the team was not without talent. The offense was noticably worse and less competent with McDaniels as OC than the previous year and the following year. Bradford regressed badly. Salas was in no way the best WR they had. That would have been Brandon Lloyd. Brandon Gibson and Danario Alexander were JAG but notably better the year before and more productive than Salas. Amendola was also on the roster. It is hard to make an argument that Steven Jackson in 2011 had "no talent", he was 28 and just off 2 back to back pro-bowl seasons. Now maybe they all needed to learn some complex system that they couldn't grasp in one off season and would all have improved next year, I don't know, but the offense clearly improved, both statistically and to the eyeball test, when McDaniels flew out of town.

This is not intended as a diss on what McDaniels has achieved with NE offense in the last few years - he has done remarkable things and is clearly a part of the success. But he was a disaster in St Louis, just as he was in Denver as HC. Perhaps he's learned something, or perhaps he needs some structure and pushback that "the Hoodie" provides

Well, like him or not, one thing's for sure. He had a great performance in a very big game, can't take that away from him. And two weeks from now, he has an opportunity to go down in the history books. Gotta begrudgingly give him much respect.

Yep, This. Except I don't begrudge the respect. He did everything he was asked to do here and played hurt. I'm sure he's worked hard to climb the Pats depth chart and deserved the chances he got.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

There was a real reason his nickname was 7/11. Just like Wes Welker playing for the crappy Dolphins and not many could see the potential.

Just read through this thread to see the fans that are still calling him nothing special after a game like this.

so ...when Hogan was walking around as a street free agent and the bills signed him , and not the Pats.....does that mean Whaley saw his potential more than the Pats????

Floyd won't see the field the rest of the playoffs. Brady will blame him and blackball him for not catching a horrible ball Brady threw that Floyd had to do an Evil Knieval effort to get to, that bounced off his hands into the Texans defender for an INT.

First INT was both Floyd and Brady fault. Floyd cut his route short.

I just double checked - 700k difference in tenders. It seems easy to say you tender higher then get a comp pick in a year when you let him walk.

This is correct and it's really all there is to discuss about it. Whaley slapped the wrong tender on him. Whaley tried to stash Cockrell on the PS and lost a quality starting corner. Whaley gets credit for shrewd trades and FA finds but he has made some really bad mistakes as well.

Nothing he's done today was spectacular on his part -- but he has been productive

From NESN.com

"The Patriots wide receiver had a field day in Sunday’s AFC Championship Game, catching a team-high nine passes for 180 yards and two touchdowns in New England’s 36-17 win. Not only were those yards and touchdowns career highs, but Hogan’s big day also put him in the Patriots’ record books."

Breaking team records is no big deal?! In a conference championship game, no less?! I'm gonna say he had a pretty "spectacular" game. How about spectacularly productive? Not saying he's the best WR out there, but this is beyond productive.

Edited by Dopey

This is correct and it's really all there is to discuss about it. Whaley slapped the wrong tender on him. Whaley tried to stash Cockrell on the PS and lost a quality starting corner. Whaley gets credit for shrewd trades and FA finds but he has made some really bad mistakes as well.

On Cockrell that was as much a Rex call. Rex pushed for Mario Butler who he thought was a better fit as a man corner only to release him a year later. Not saying Doug doesn't share some blame but it is another Bills personnel error that you can pretty squarely attribute to the constant changing of schemes.

Hogan said he didn't want to play here. He didn't like his role, knew he was behind Watkins and Woods on the depth chart. He was going to sign somewhere else, it just so happened the **Patsie's offered a great deal. Good for him. He did drop a lot of balls his last year with Buffalo, at least he managed to hang on to his 3 bobbles yesterday.

no GM is going to be perfect on those moves. i dont know that it qualifies as a "really bad mistake" ala grigson trading hughes for shepherd as i dont know that either of those actually changed our w-l record, but it was a mistake.

From NESN.com

"The Patriots wide receiver had a field day in Sunday’s AFC Championship Game, catching a team-high nine passes for 180 yards and two touchdowns in New England’s 36-17 win. Not only were those yards and touchdowns career highs, but Hogan’s big day also put him in the Patriots’ record books."

Breaking team records is no big deal?! In a conference championship game, no less?! I'm gonna say he had a pretty "spectacular" game. How about spectacularly productive? Not saying he's the best WR out there, but this is beyond productive.

Stopped reading after that, must a "Patriot Way" article...

Hogan said he didn't want to play here. He didn't like his role, knew he was behind Watkins and Woods on the depth chart. He was going to sign somewhere else, it just so happened the **Patsie's offered a great deal. Good for him. He did drop a lot of balls his last year with Buffalo, at least he managed to hang on to his 3 bobbles yesterday.

he wouldnt have had much choice had we tendered him higher.

but yea, he wasnt a radically different player or all pro yesterday despite a great stat line. he found some holes and his qb hit him. he still had his bobbles and such even on easy plays but ultimately came down with most. it was a good day and he should be proud, but its not like hes suddenly an elite threat. it was a 35 catch guy getting a big opportunity based on how the two teams game plans intersected.

he had 38 catches during the regular season

which would put him 4th on the Bills in receptions, but his 680 yds would have led the team, along with being tied for the team lead with 4 receiving td.

They were 3-1 at the start of this season with 3rd string QBs....Just Saying!

Stop. Making. Sense.

I like Hogan but i do recall he dropped some wide open long passes in his last season w Buffalo. Brady just makes everyone better..a lot better. I'm sure there are many receivers in the NFL that would love to play with Brady and have a chance to win a Championship.