Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

Its really simple. Most teams look for players that can physically beat their opponents especially at the skill positions. New England looks for players that can mentally beat their opponents. Its that simple. It works because they have a cerebral QB and they set up their schemes to take advantage of that fact. Same on Defense

Good post.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguing whether he is the second option or not isn't worth arguing over. What is impressive is that Belichick took a decent player from another team and got him to fit in well with the unit. Hogan added to the mix with Edeleman, Bennett and even Amendola helped to maintain the passing game, even with Gronk being out. Their brilliant HC has also made similar little moves without much draft investment for the running back grouping.

While most of the teams play checkers the Pats are playing chess. The Bills with their peculiar logic try to keep up by hiring Rex Ryan. LOL :wallbash:

Even as a guy that's not big on hogan - knowing we let him walk over, what, 500k or something to get to the next tender is obnoxious

Especially knowing sammys foot was banged up and clay is questionable on the health front.

When I say 4th option I do mean with a full unit and considering the probability that the 4-5 option will likely be the 3-4 any given week down the stretch with injuries.

To make sure I'm being even handed on myself, I'll admit I thought Lawson leaving would be a similar unneeded loss of a depth player but I'm on a message board for a reason I guess. I don't feel like I've been far off hogan long term though

Arguing whether he is the second option or not isn't worth arguing over. What is impressive is that Belichick took a decent player from another team and got him to fit in well with the unit. Hogan added to the mix with Edeleman, Bennett and even Amendola helped to maintain the passing game, even with Gronk being out. Their brilliant HC has also made similar little moves without much draft investment for the running back grouping.

While most of the teams play checkers the Pats are playing chess. The Bills with their peculiar logic try to keep up by hiring Rex Ryan. LOL :wallbash:

Remember how brilliant Belichick was in signing Chad Ochocinco?

Its not all about the QB, It's about play design. I think a lot of okay QBs and WRs would improve a lot playing for the Pats.

Patriots offensive success is mostly due to scheme, play calling, keeping the QB upright and taking the rules to the limits (i.e. picks), but in no particular order. Thats how they have won with pretty much anyone at QB including Cassel, Garapolo and Brisett.

Really?! Why don't other teams just study the film and use the same plays / schemes?

Even as a guy that's not big on hogan - knowing we let him walk over, what, 500k or something to get to the next tender is obnoxious

Especially knowing sammys foot was banged up and clay is questionable on the health front.

When I say 4th option I do mean with a full unit and considering the probability that the 4-5 option will likely be the 3-4 any given week down the stretch with injuries.

To make sure I'm being even handed on myself, I'll admit I thought Lawson leaving would be a similar unneeded loss of a depth player but I'm on a message board for a reason I guess. I don't feel like I've been far off hogan long term though

The league takes away picks from the Pats but they still are able to compensate with their low cost pickups. Bennett was a terrific pickup for the Pats, even more so with Gronk being out. They brought in this mercurial player and person and he produced for them. On other teams he floundered.

This extraordinary franchise has its own identity and method of operating. Regardless what the conventional wisdom is this franchise is ahead of the curve. Considering the restraints of the cap system they have maintained consistent success while most teams (even very good teams) have not been able to maintain such consistent excellence. You have to marvel at how they run their shop.

QB helps, but the dude had 38 catches this season. He had 41 and 36 with the Bills in his most recent years. He's okay. Was he worth to the Bills what the Patriots paid him? Not at all.

Folks around here like to point out that national media think Tyrod is better than he is because he had a very good game in Seattle on Monday night. Well Hogan has caught some nice TD's from Brady on national TV. Still only had 38 catches. I'd still take Woods over him which is what the Bills did.

And here is the problem. Considering how our WRs corps were, it would have been good to have re-signed Chris. Chris is a fighter. Good luck to him in the Superbowl.

I wish I could remember who it was on this site with whom I made the bet at the beginning of the season, that by the end of the season, Hogan would have surpassed two out of the four of the Pats*: Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and Bennet. My point at the time was that Hogan was a perfect fit in NE*. Well, he passed Amendola on the depth chart almost immediately. Certainly, I won't count Gronk, being on IR. But, tonight, in the conference championship game, Hogan was the Pats* #1 receiver. Most targets, most receptions, most yards. Regardless of how one feels about him personally (looking at you, Kirby), we should lay to rest the notion that he is a JAG.

And here is the problem. Considering how our WRs corps were, it would have been good to have re-signed Chris. Chris is a fighter. Good luck to him in the Superbowl.

I'm happy for Hogan and I'm happy for Andy Levitre who plays for the Falcons. I'm sad for Kyle Williams who will have a long and distinguished career with no playoff appearances. He deserves better.

I'm happy for Hogan and I'm happy for Andy Levitre who plays for the Falcons. I'm sad for Kyle Williams who will have a long and distinguished career with no playoff appearances. He deserves better.

Kyle will have his run! Hang in there meatball!

I feel bad for Kyle too.

It's amazing when you actually have a QB that is throwing to you how good of a receiver you are. Hogan looks like an all pro with Marsha zipping it to him.

And when he's the third or fourth guy that a defense is worried about beating safety coverage. Give it a rest already. Do you think there are no Bills capable of playing in the league? No team keeps all their players, including the Cheats.

If you want to believe that he's the second option on the pats, go for it

I do believe there is a difference between #2 WR, and second option. Were Gronk on the field, Edelman would be their second option, and #1 WR, right? Hogan passed Amendola on the depth chart as the Pats* #2 WR by week three IIRC.

Nothing.

He didn't ask him to go make a play. Hell he didn't even ask him to beat multiple defenders. He asked him to run a simple route. On both TDs. It was designed to get him open.

What does that tell me? They don't think Hogan can get open by himself but they can come up with some interesting concepts to get him open.

EDIT: and on the first TD it wasn't that he asked Hogan to be "the guy", he made Cockrell make a decision on Hogan or Edelman. Cockrell chose the better receiver thinking he had safety help.

Cockrell had an opinion like you and got burned for it.

And Hogan has proved many times he can get open.

The league takes away picks from the Pats but they still are able to compensate with their low cost pickups. Bennett was a terrific pickup for the Pats, even more so with Gronk being out. They brought in this mercurial player and person and he produced for them. On other teams he floundered.

This extraordinary franchise has its own identity and method of operating. Regardless what the conventional wisdom is this franchise is ahead of the curve. Considering the restraints of the cap system they have maintained consistent success while most teams (even very good teams) have not been able to maintain such consistent excellence. You have to marvel at how they run their shop.

The only thing to marvel at is they got extraordinarily lucky on a sixth round flyer draft pick QB . That's it. Everything else is a media ballwashing myth. That and the fact that the QB hasn't suffered a career ending or threatening injury so they've rode it for 15 plus seasons. Has zero to do with managing the cap constraints blah blah blah. It's about their QB and it will end when he's gone.