TOD 8/4: Striker - feel good story or impact player?

He's small for an LB but there's examples that players his size have had very nice NFL careers. Vilma, Cato, Brackett and Sims come to mind.

Football is a game where desire can sometimes outweigh physical attributes - there's no doubt this guy is a motivated player with a big chip.

Never felt that I was looking at a great NFL prospect with Striker. I hope he can carve out a niche somewhere in certain packages and on special teams.

The game needs good guys to succeed and he seems to be one. I just feel that objectivity with him is something the fan base struggles with, as with James Wilder.

How easily blocked by a TE is he and what happens when they check the play to run at him....

Those will predict his fate

Yup. He's a great story but offensive coaches in the NFL will attack a weakness mercilessly. If Striker can't fend off blocks and stop the run, he's just a one-trick pony and a liability on the field. Hoping for the best for him, but not expecting much.

Never felt that I was looking at a great NFL prospect with Striker. I hope he can carve out a niche somewhere in certain packages and on special teams.

The game needs good guys to succeed and he seems to be one. I just feel that objectivity with him is something the fan base struggles with, as with James Wilder.

with sentiments like this, don't complain about 8-8 and no playoffs. with all due respect, we need nfl calibre players, not feel good stories about good guys who get a break with a team with crappy LBs .. on the flip side, with Rex's crazy deception, scheme defense, if you are smart, learn the system fast and do what you are told when you are told, anyone can hide their faults as they are just cogs in a wheel

Feel good story that is impossible not to root for. But he faces long odds. I need to see him in person going up against OLmen a hundred pounds heavier and that much stronger. It is hard to imagine him being any kind of force on the edge in defending the running game. Situational rusher? Perhaps. I think an inside LB role might better suit him if we can keep him clean to make plays. And I hope he can play special teams.

GO BILLS!!!

Feel good story that is impossible not to root for. But he faces long odds. I need to see him in person going up against OLmen a hundred pounds heavier and that much stronger. It is hard to imagine him being any kind of force on the edge in defending the running game. Situational rusher? Perhaps. I think an inside LB role might better suit him if we can keep him clean to make plays. And I hope he can play special teams.

GO BILLS!!!

Fish out of water. His value is going to be as an edge rusher, and he can also cover.

Fish out of water. His value is going to be as an edge rusher, and he can also cover.

So, situational pass rusher then. At this point, I can't say he is an every down player. He can get off the ball and rush, but I heard he was easily getting shoved aside defending the run at practice. I'd like to see for myself though.

I disagree he would be a fish out of water inside partly because he CAN cover.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

So, situational pass rusher then. At this point, I can't say he is an every down player. He can get off the ball and rush, but I heard he was easily getting shoved aside defending the run at practice. I'd like to see for myself though.

I disagree he would be a fish out of water inside partly because he CAN cover.

GO BILLS!!!

jets have been putting Darron Lee at ILB and he's getting trucked too.

I have always felt that the success or failure of a player like this depends on the situation they go to first in the NFL

- If Striker had gone to a team that had set starters and quality back ups at the edge......that team might be telling him to convert to safety or be cut.....he just happens to come into a team where the first round edge had to have surgery....his backup hurt a pec prior to camp.....and so he is getting legit looks. This is the best possible scenario for Striker and he knows it.

- Lets keep in mind that Ryan actually got some use out of Aaron Maybin......who has half the heart that Striker has.

I am def rooting for him because we need all the pass rush we can get

I have always felt that the success or failure of a player like this depends on the situation they go to first in the NFL

- If Striker had gone to a team that had set starters and quality back ups at the edge......that team might be telling him to convert to safety or be cut.....he just happens to come into a team where the first round edge had to have surgery....his backup hurt a pec prior to camp.....and so he is getting legit looks. This is the best possible scenario for Striker and he knows it.

- Lets keep in mind that Ryan actually got some use out of Aaron Maybin......who has half the heart that Striker has.

I am def rooting for him because we need all the pass rush we can get

good point about Rex getting some production out of Maybin. Striker is built better, and has much more of an attacking attitude.

Welp

@salsports

Rex threw some water on all the Eric Striker love from Tuesday night. Said "he did a couple nice things, then had like five busts."

This corresponds to what I heard from close onlookers.

Look, he's a great underdog story with charisma and heart and it is natural that we glom onto his good plays and build them up. But if he can't play with leverage most of the time, its gonna be a problem.

He'll be an impact player, and I can sum up why in just one word: Courage. Dedication. Daring. Pride, pluck, spirit, grit, mettle, and G-U-T-S, guts. Striker's got more guts in his little finger than most of us have in our large intestine, including the colon!

As long as he's gotten over Macho Grande.

And when we couple this with the word that Manny has a partial torn pec muscule and "expects to be back by week 1"

I think we need to brace ourselves for

Ike E. playing majority of snaps because he can set the edge (but literally cant do anything else)

Striker in obvious pass rush situations

Jesus I REALLY wish Randell Johnson would just work out like I expected him to and end all this nonsense!

Love the airplane references.

Which is why I'd tell Striker that playing OLB in the NFL is just like riding a bike; only it's a little bit harder to get the bubble gum card in the spokes.

I know a lot of people don't put much stock in college highlight videos, but you guys should look at Striker's. I have seen a lot of pass rushers but have never seen anyone get there faster so many times. The kid flat out fakes OLinemen out of their socks. Normally, I would say speed rushers don't typically work in the NFL, but this some serious speed.