What is Gilmore actually worth to the Bills....

I understand this has most likely been discussed and I apologize if I'm rehashing. I was just curious what the consensus is. I believe since he has been here he has been in the top quarter of the league for cb's but just don't think he is worth top money. You tend to unfortunately lose some players along the way that you want to retain, but feel like especially with Tyrod hopefully getting a nice juicy contract next year, he is the type that inevitably will have to go. He has been very solid but a bit up and down and the best corners IMO are far more consistent.

If the Bills do extend him, it is what it is he is a good player and i will be satisfied with them doing so, just hope it is a decent deal for the bills and they don't overpay. I am kind of curious to see what they have with the rookie and vets they brought in and i don't expect them to play as well as Gilmore but hope the trade off is potentially worth it. I guess the possibility of franchising 1 more year is an option or maybe the case of our 1st rounder next year is once again a corner B-) . Just curious about the varied opinions here?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Rex needs CBs and Gilmore is a top 5 CB... so unless you want an Idzik problem where he lets go of Rex's CBs then you try to keep Gilmore and it will be expensive.

If not our first round pick will probably be a CB.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Well Rex needs CBs and Gilmore is a top 5 CB... so unless you want an Idzik problem where he lets go of Rex's CBs then you try to keep Gilmore and it will be expensive.

If not our first round pick will probably be a CB.

I am a long time season ticket holder and watch all the games.....when comparing to what is around the league, Gilmore isn't top 5....maybe top 20 though....he has been brittle to some degree, and top guns play full seasons.....not miss major pieces of action due to injury...so he losses the productivity argument on that point. Also, he is not a ball hawk to speak of...yep 3 last year...but not in the Patrick Peterson league........thinking about similar situations, Jarius Byrd walked when the Bills didn't pay top dollar (rightfully so in that case) Gilmore is due a good, but not super great contract. I hope Whaley has his best judgement in play here........a walks if the money can't be resolved within a reasonable plan to keep the franchise QB I think TT is. Another words.....TT (if he produces, and I think he will) is more important than gilmore by a whole bunch.

I am a long time season ticket holder and watch all the games.....when comparing to what is around the league, Gilmore isn't top 5....maybe top 20 though....he has been brittle to some degree, and top guns play full seasons.....not miss major pieces of action due to injury...so he losses the productivity argument on that point. Also, he is not a ball hawk to speak of...yep 3 last year...but not in the Patrick Peterson league........thinking about similar situations, Jarius Byrd walked when the Bills didn't pay top dollar (rightfully so in that case) Gilmore is due a good, but not super great contract. I hope Whaley has his best judgement in play here........a walks if the money can't be resolved within a reasonable plan to keep the franchise QB I think TT is. Another words.....TT (if he produces, and I think he will) is more important than gilmore by a whole bunch.

Totally agree as i stated no way he is top five and i don't think he has even sniffed the top five, he is to inconsistent. He elevated his play last year but i still don't think he is top five, I liked Darby as a rookie last year more than i have ever liked Gilmores play.

Whether Gilmore is a top-5, top-10, or top-20 corner is immaterial. He's a bona fide #1 corner, and he's going to get paid like one (here or elsewhere).

That said, he's among the 10 best corners in the game. He's excellent in coverage and matches up well against the bigger WRs in the league.

The myth of the shutdown corner would have folks believing that you can't be elite and allow a catch at any point in the season, but most folks that watch a lot of NFL games know the difference.

I watch every NFL game every week, and the guys that I believe can reasonably be put ahead of Gilmore include:

Sherman

Revis

Peterson

Norman

V. Davis

Beyond that, you've got a next group that is comprised of:

Gilmore

Slay

Haden

Harris Jr.

Trufant

Butler

So I suppose I'm fine ranking Gilmore anywhere from 6 to 11, but anywhere beyond that is, IMO, crazy talk.

If Tyrod is good and going to get paid Gilmore is gone.

This is the sad truth. Love Gilmore, but a good QB is so hard to find and Darby is going to be in line for a huge payday in a few years.

The Bills have done what they needed to do so they can afford both (if necessary) so it isn't a "Gilmore or Taylor" situation. Besides, Gilmore will get paid this offseason if the Bills sign him to a long term deal. Taylor's long term deal will wait until next offseason or possibly sometime this season, if the Bills sign him to one.

As for Gilmore's worth to the Bills, it's huge. Strong corner play, especially the ability to play man-to-man coverage, is paramount for the defense that Ryan runs. It puts a lot of pressure on the CBs and they have to stand up to that. There's no way I can see Gilmore walking so I expect him to get signed. People need to relax about it. His agent is just trying to maximize his contract. There's no need to worry at this point. If the Bills somehow lost or parted ways with Gilmore, they'd have to find a high quality replacement for him for Rex's defense to function properly. But I don't see that happening. He'll sign.

Edited by BarleyNY

Gilmore is a typical Bill of the last 20 years. When you need a big play, he usually fades.

When i think of this group i do not think of Gilmore. I do not think of any CB honestly.

Personally i think the Bills get a deal done with Gilmore. The deal will be front loaded over the next three years. This will provide the Bills flexibility for when Darby is needed to be resigned. IF Darby gets better then he was last year, he will be the priority.

Gilmore is OK, not great by any stretch. Saying he's top 5 or even 10 is laughable IMHO. He gets beat too often, is not a very good tackler, and can't catch. One if his 3 picks last year he got because he got beat, fell down, and the football which was overthrown to the the underneath guy came right to him.

He can be replaced. Darby is probably already better. No way I pay big coin to keep him.

Gilmore is a typical Bill of the last 20 years. When you need a big play, he usually fades.

What team ever looks to their CB for a big play?

None.

Corners are paid to cover, not to make big plays.

That said, Gilmore has prevented plenty of big plays over his career.

jairus byrd part 2.. let him walk..

By that you mean what?

The Bills have done what they needed to do so they can afford both (if necessary) so it isn't a "Gilmore or Taylor" situation. Besides, Gilmore will get paid this offseason if the Bills sign him to a long term deal. Taylor's long term deal will wait until next offseason or possibly sometime this season, if the Bills sign him to one.

As for Gilmore's worth to the Bills, it's huge. Strong corner play, especially the ability to play man-to-man coverage, is paramount for the defense that Ryan runs. It puts a lot of pressure on the CBs and they have to stand up to that. There's no way I can see Gilmore walking so I expect him to get signed. People need to relax about it. His agent is just trying to maximize his contract. There's no need to worry at this point. If the Bills somehow lost or parted ways with Gilmore, they'd have to find a high quality replacement for him for Rex's defense to function properly. But I don't see that happening. He'll sign.

With the exception that there's no way I could see him walking, I completely agree with this ^

Gilmore is OK, not great by any stretch. Saying he's top 5 or even 10 is laughable IMHO. He gets beat too often, is not a very good tackler, and can't catch. One if his 3 picks last year he got because he got beat, fell down, and the football which was overthrown to the the underneath guy came right to him.

He can be replaced. Darby is probably already better. No way I pay big coin to keep him.

^ This is a great example of someone that doesn't watch other teams. Every single corner gets beat. All of them.

If your opinion is that he gets beat significantly more than the best guys, well, I'd love to hear the rationale, because the advanced stats certainly don't tell that story (neither does the eye test for that matter).

Then again, I have to take into context that you think Trent Dilfer was an all-time great QB, so...

Whether Gilmore is a top-5, top-10, or top-20 corner is immaterial. He's a bona fide #1 corner, and he's going to get paid like one (here or elsewhere).

That said, he's among the 10 best corners in the game. He's excellent in coverage and matches up well against the bigger WRs in the league.

The myth of the shutdown corner would have folks believing that you can't be elite and allow a catch at any point in the season, but most folks that watch a lot of NFL games know the difference.

I watch every NFL game every week, and the guys that I believe can reasonably be put ahead of Gilmore include:

Sherman

Revis

Peterson

Norman

V. Davis

Gilmore

Slay

Haden

Harris Jr.

Trufant

Butler

So I suppose I'm fine ranking Gilmore anywhere from 6 to 11, but anywhere beyond that is, IMO, crazy talk.

I am pretty much with this. I think Talib still belongs in that company as well despite his antics.

If we didnt have Darby I would feel much much different about this

While I certainly hope Darby becomes a stub CB, at this point, it's hard to assume that. I truly believe a huge part of his success this year was because Gilmore was on the other side.

It's really dangerous to assume that if he becomes the #1 CB, he will automatically be able to fill the role. I always think back to the Peerless Price trade. It was assumed Price could be a number 1 in ATL (huge mistake that TD wasted a great draft pick on) and that slow, small, bad hands Josh Reed could be a #2 here.

Gilmore is a typical Bill of the last 20 years. When you need a big play, he usually fades.[/quote

What a silly comment. Aaron Schobel Syndrome. Bills fans love blaming the quality players on this team as the reason they are bad. It's all guys like Gilmore, Schobel, Kyle Williams, Lee Evans fault they miss the playoffs. It has zero to do with Having Qbs like Losman or Edwards.

Sherman

Revis

Peterson

Norman

V. Davis

Gilmore

Slay

Haden

Harris Jr.

Trufant

Butler

Great take. The Gilmore situation is weird. Most fans become insane homers about their guys. But I think the national perception of Gilmore is higher than Bills fans. He is going to get paid a lot of money. If he talked or danced more, he would be more popular.