Shaq, Reggie and Tyrod - So Stoked

You know, the board feels like the bloom is off the rose a bit in light of Shaq's injury. Here is a call for perspective. Shaq is a really top talent who very much wants to be in Buffalo. He and Reggie tweet each other about what they want to build here. Washington is a top talent too. Our "D" has a chance to be ferocious, young, fast and mean as heck. I for one will not miss Mario one bit, don't care that Shaq is going to miss a few weeks (hope he does not rush it), and am so stoked about the revamped D.

I also think Tyrod is going to be a steely-eyed assassin of a quarterback and a straight superstar. What he did as a first year starter was pretty amazing, and he has a unique talent set. What I love though is his work ethic, his intelligence, his natural leadership skills and that it seems he has ice water in his veins. He will be a field general this year that organizes the offense like Kelly used to. You could see the early signs of that last year. There is no young QB in the NFL that I would rather have other than Luck. And after this year, maybe not him either.

Not saying it is overt racism (though it may be for a few), but I can't help but feel Tyrod is undervalued in part because of stereotypes that linger for black quarterbacks that can run. He is not Vick. He does not make bad decisions and chuck it up, and he does not run in a way where he is likely to injure himself. He seems very smart. He was very durable last year and missed a little time because of a dirty as heck horse collar. He did it laying it on the line at a crucial time in a game that we could not afford to lose if we wanted to be in the hunt. He willed us to victory. And I was up in Boston for the Monday night game a few weeks later - it was clear he was still hurt, but he sucked it up and played. He is tough as nails. We should get behind this young man until he gives us a reason not to. He is one of my favorite Bills in many, many years.

Check out Shaq's video about coming to Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/Shaq_Lawson90?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

You know, the board feels like the bloom is off the rose a bit in light of Shaq's injury. Here is a call for perspective. Shaq is a really top talent who very much wants to be in Buffalo. He and Reggie tweet each other about what they want to build here. Washington is a top talent too. Our "D" has a chance to be ferocious, young, fast and mean as heck. I for one will not miss Mario one bit, don't care that Shaq is going to miss a few weeks (hope he does not rush it), and am so stoked about the revamped D.

I also think Tyrod is going to be a steely-eyed assassin of a quarterback and a straight superstar. What he did as a first year starter was pretty amazing, and he has a unique talent set. What I love though is his work ethic, his intelligence, his natural leadership skills and that it seems he has ice water in his veins. He will be a field general this year that organizes the offense like Kelly used to. You could see the early signs of that last year. There is no young QB in the NFL that I would rather have other than Luck. And after this year, maybe not him either.

Not saying it is overt racism (though it may be for a few), but I can't help but feel Tyrod is undervalued in part because of stereotypes that linger for black quarterbacks that can run. He is not Vick. He does not make bad decisions and chuck it up, and he does not run in a way where he is likely to injure himself. He seems very smart. He was very durable last year and missed a little time because of a dirty as heck horse collar. He did it laying it on the line at a crucial time in a game that we could not afford to lose if we wanted to be in the hunt. He willed us to victory. And I was up in Boston for the Monday night game a few weeks later - it was clear he was still hurt, but he sucked it up and played. He is tough as nails. We should get behind this young man until he gives us a reason not to. He is one of my favorite Bills in many, many years.

Sorry - darn auto correct. Should have been "Shaq, Reggie and Tyrod"

Also - you can fire away now, but note that I put it here: Tyrod is going to win Buffalo's first Super Bowl.

D

S Lawson unlikely to be a factor this year....missing first half of the season. Then a few games to round into shape.....then the "he's just learning" comments from Ryan.....that will be true, him missing preseason games and all. Might get to see what he can do last few games of the season. Here is hoping those games mean something...if not, more preseason like games in December. wont really know about what he can do until fall 2017 imho.

TT might step up big....that would be great for the franchise.......and, TT, of course. Now is his time...he will do it, or be a career backup. You don't get many chances to be #1 in the NFL. (EJ has used up all his 9 lives on that score btw)

Edited by bigK14094

Good post. I too choose to look forward instead of backward. As with any team there is some apprehension but there is also quite a bit to be excited about. I don't agree with race coming that much into play with people's differing views on Taylor, but I do think some people may assume he's more of a "running QB" than he really is. I've seen the same thing with people's views on Bridgewater.

Edited by YoloinOhio

No one said anything about racism holding Tyrod Taylor back, and it is funny how people can live in denial of the fact that stereotypes do persist. I think if a bigger, white pocket-passer who didn't run put up Tyrod's 20 TD and 6 INT season as a first year starter there MAY be greater enthusiasm. I can't see how any thinking person cannot at least allow for that possibility. Those that can't probably thought Dennis Shaw as was good as James Harris.

And Yolo is right - Tyrod is perceived as more of a "running" QB than he is. It is not knowable whether "black" has any role in that false perception. It could, but it really does not matter. Point I was making is the young man is a baller - leader, worker, team guy, smart and tough. A grinder who overcame odds. A Buffalo guy.

He has electric skills that are easy to see. So did Vick. What gives Tyrod the potential for greatness in my view is everything else. And the positive character traits that define the man are talked about in the local media, but not so much nationally. Smart, tough, leader, tireless worker - a Buffalo kind of guy. We sign him long term, he wins our first Super Bowl. And I bet two seats on the 50 he uses the middle just fine this year.

Check out Shaq's video about coming to Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/Shaq_Lawson90?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Once again.....while I fight tooth and nail with the NNN's on the other side of the coin I totally understand WHY they do it.....

15 years.....FIFTEEN YEARS.....of no playoffs

Show me the baby is not a out of order comment here

No one said anything about racism holding Tyrod Taylor back, and it is funny how people can live in denial of the fact that stereotypes do persist. I think if a bigger, white pocket-passer who didn't run put up Tyrod's 20 TD and 6 INT season as a first year starter there MAY be greater enthusiasm. I can't see how any thinking person cannot at least allow for that possibility. Those that can't probably thought Dennis Shaw as was good as James Harris.

And Yolo is right - Tyrod is perceived as more of a "running" QB than he is. It is not knowable whether "black" has any role in that false perception. It could, but it really does not matter. Point I was making is the young man is a baller - leader, worker, team guy, smart and tough. A grinder who overcame odds. A Buffalo guy.

He has electric skills that are easy to see. So did Vick. What gives Tyrod the potential for greatness in my view is everything else. And the positive character traits that define the man are talked about in the local media, but not so much nationally. Smart, tough, leader, tireless worker - a Buffalo kind of guy. We sign him long term, he wins our first Super Bowl. And I bet two seats on the 50 he uses the middle just fine this year.

You might be right about stereotyping to a certain extent, but you're also overlooking the stereotype of a small-ish running QB and the perpetual fear that he will be injured. In that light, it doesn't matter what the color of his skin is. I don't hold my breath because I don't think he has the "attributes" to be a successful quarterback. I hold my breath when Taylor uses his legs. I hope that with experience, he will stay in the relatively safer pocket.

Tyron is not that small. He is 6'1" and 215 of muscle. Injury is a big concern of mine, but nothing in his history indicates he will have a future injury problem. I include in that last year, where he took every shot. Missing some itme after that BS horse collar does not indicate frailty. And he played through it, which showed me a lot -- Goodwin would have been out for the season. I grant that injury risk is a key thing, but I prefer a QB that can move, and I think, like Wilson, Tyrod runs smart. He seems to expose himself only when it is a critical time - and I want him to do that, though I hold my breath. Tennessee was amazing.

TT is also is also materially taller than Wilson. Wilson 5'10 on his toes, Tyrod is 6'1 on his. He is like 1-2 inches "too small" - not 4 or 5 inches. I think he is better than Wilson, or at least will be. In addition to the better height, Tyrod throws an elite deep ball. They are very similar, both fine field generals. Swap QB's and the Bills with Wilson will be an awful lot like the Bills with Tyrod, and vice versa. I think right now Tyrod can do as well with that Hawks team as Wilson does. I grant that Wilson has shown he is clutch and Tyrod still has to do that more (though Tennessee was impressive).

I also get the "show me the baby" concept, but why bother? This team has nothing to do with the Jauron era, or the Fewell era. It is how people used to be so negative about our City. Personally, I find optimism more fun. And I think there is a real chance for it here because we have a QB (in my view). Rob Johnson/Fitz/Snorton/Checkdown - all false hope. So I get the defense mechanism of negativity.

Add in Shaq and Ragland, Dareus, Darby, Gilmore and on and on. I think we should be excited. And Brady can't play forever.

You know Marlin, I've never felt a vibe of racism at least on this site. You could be right as people are smart enough not to overtly state such an ignorant point of view.

I look at these newer QB's as in two groups.

1. Kaepernick, Vick, RG3, Manziel- basically 1 read guys that rely on their legs.

2. Wilson, Rodgers, Newton. - they use their legs to extend plays, but always have the eyes down the field and can throw a nice ball in tight quarters.

I'm not stating TT is Rodgers, but believe he is learning like Cam almost completely relied on his athleticism in his first year vs. now where he is much more of a complete QB.

I can't see group #1 improving. I have nothing against them, and could care less of people's skin color. Believe TT can be a Wilson, and has to take the next step this year. Remember Cam had a great year 1, took a step back year 2, and really came into his own in year 3. TT has 14 starts. Give him another 16 and we'll know if he is our guy for years. The nice thing is if he progresses, we have the rookie for four years to develop.

I am most excited about Taylor and Ragland. Tyrod has a lot to play for jumping from 3 mill to close to 20 million a season is a huge pay raise, if Tyrod can stay healthy I think he will more than likely get that huge contract. Let's be honest folks Tyrod is the best thing we've had since prob Bledsoe or Flutie. If he can get his passing game going he will be a force to be reckoned with. Now onto Ragland. what else can u say other than he is a monster. He will become the new leader of that defense. I think him and Brown will compensate each other nicely. I can't wait for the season to start.

Also - you can fire away now, but note that I put it here: Tyrod is going to win Buffalo's first Super Bowl.

D

Okay.

If you insist.

I will root for the Bills.

I will cheer Tyrod !

You did not have to talk me into it Brother, i am already there.

GO BILLS!

Is it b.c he is taller then you?

No, I just think Bills fans rate him higher than they should because we missed out on him. He is often put up there with the greats. He is a good QB, but I'll wait and see a few more years before I call him a great.

I am most excited about Taylor and Ragland. Tyrod has a lot to play for jumping from 3 mill to close to 20 million a season is a huge pay raise, if Tyrod can stay healthy I think he will more than likely get that huge contract. Let's be honest folks Tyrod is the best thing we've had since prob Bledsoe or Flutie. If he can get his passing game going he will be a force to be reckoned with. Now onto Ragland. what else can u say other than he is a monster. He will become the new leader of that defense. I think him and Brown will compensate each other nicely. I can't wait for the season to start.

There are some that might question Raglands value.

But he and Brown should be monsters in the middle for the Bills !!

Considering we picked up Tyrod without burning up a draft pick and we're paying him basically nothing to lead this team, this would be an unbelievable coup for Whaley if Tyrod has a great season for us and becomes a playoff caliber qb.

There are only a dozen or so solid NFL qb's in the world, if he can make that club it will be so sweet.

Meanwhile, he's a really fun qb to watch. Usually the best athlete on the field, good smarts, ethic, desire, accuracy, slippery in the pocket. How can you not love this f%$ckin guy?

Once again.....while I fight tooth and nail with the NNN's on the other side of the coin I totally understand WHY they do it.....

15 years.....FIFTEEN YEARS.....of no playoffs

Show me the baby is not a out of order comment here

It's 16 years... SIXTEEN YEARS. :bag:

As much abuse as Rex gets around here, I for one love him for bringing Tyrod to town. Can't wait to watch him this year, IMO all hope for the immediate future is riding on his shoulders. As for the rookie draft picks on D, I won't get excited about them until they show something on the field.

Tyron is not that small. He is 6'1" and 215 of muscle. Injury is a big concern of mine, but nothing in his history indicates he will have a future injury problem. I include in that last year, where he took every shot. Missing some itme after that BS horse collar does not indicate frailty. And he played through it, which showed me a lot -- Goodwin would have been out for the season. I grant that injury risk is a key thing, but I prefer a QB that can move, and I think, like Wilson, Tyrod runs smart. He seems to expose himself only when it is a critical time - and I want him to do that, though I hold my breath. Tennessee was amazing.

TT is also is also materially taller than Wilson. Wilson 5'10 on his toes, Tyrod is 6'1 on his. He is like 1-2 inches "too small" - not 4 or 5 inches. I think he is better than Wilson, or at least will be. In addition to the better height, Tyrod throws an elite deep ball. They are very similar, both fine field generals. Swap QB's and the Bills with Wilson will be an awful lot like the Bills with Tyrod, and vice versa. I think right now Tyrod can do as well with that Hawks team as Wilson does. I grant that Wilson has shown he is clutch and Tyrod still has to do that more (though Tennessee was impressive).

I also get the "show me the baby" concept, but why bother? This team has nothing to do with the Jauron era, or the Fewell era. It is how people used to be so negative about our City. Personally, I find optimism more fun. And I think there is a real chance for it here because we have a QB (in my view). Rob Johnson/Fitz/Snorton/Checkdown - all false hope. So I get the defense mechanism of negativity.

Add in Shaq and Ragland, Dareus, Darby, Gilmore and on and on. I think we should be excited. And Brady can't play forever.

Right on....And the Defense did not HELP a team that was asking its QB to be a game manager......When the defense did not keep its end of the bargain. the offense faltered with its game manager approach. Lots of 3-and outs....

Thanks for the clip - even more stoked now. He is the man. I don't buy the "he could become Wilson." Wilson has been on a GREAT team with a beast running back. With Sammy and McCoy hobbled half the year Tyrod had not so much for many of his starts. As Sammy got fully healthy in second half it was beautiful to watch. Wilson, if he works hard, could become Tyrod some day - except he's too short. I have no problem Whaley playing it a little coy trying to get us the best deal on Tyrod's future, but if he screws it up I will hate him forever (and right now I like Whaley a lot!)

weird how the Tyrod "racists" love Cam and Russell Wilson.

I only like Russell, Cam is a diva no matter how good he gets and I predict he never goes back especially with diverting his attention to a tv show.

Thanks for the clip - even more stoked now. He is the man. I don't buy the "he could become Wilson." Wilson has been on a GREAT team with a beast running back. With Sammy and McCoy hobbled half the year Tyrod had not so much for many of his starts. As Sammy got fully healthy in second half it was beautiful to watch. Wilson, if he works hard, could become Tyrod some day - except he's too short. I have no problem Whaley playing it a little coy trying to get us the best deal on Tyrod's future, but if he screws it up I will hate him forever (and right now I like Whaley a lot!)

:lol::doh::lol::doh::lol:

D

Good post. I saw much of the same in TT as well. I'm taking a wait & see approach to rookies though. Waaaay to many hyped early picks that flounder for this franchise.

btw, I fixed the title.

Agree with everything here except the racism part so I wont comment on that but, a lot of my friends who arent Bills fans think TT is a diamond in the rough. My ravens fan friends want me to give them TT back lol! I hope Shaq takes all the time he needs to get better, 1st round pick is a big investment, we need to think long term here. Love the positive attitude on this post.

Not in the 2nd round....

As a first rounder....maybe SOME might question even though he was a projected 1st rounder.

Nope John, there were plenty plenty who thought this guy was antiquated before he even hit the NFL turf/ field.

The comparisons to Spikes. The game has passed by a run stuffing MLB. He is slow. Redundant player with Preston Brown

Poor in coverage. It's a passing league. There really were a good few of naysayers here pre draft

He made it to the second round for a reason and it was not because he isn't an excellent player. Folks think he just wont fit up in the NFL.

I was one the bandwagon after watching some highlights provided here.

I think he will become a great player in Rexy's 3-4 !

I think he and Brown are going to be monsters. And folks outside of Bills fandom will take notice.

Tyrod is a one, maximum two, trick pony.... I get that he doesn't turn the ball over much, and can take yardage with his feet if possible... Besides that, he's pretty predictable... Our Div. rivals now have a years worth of footage on him, and his tendencies as a starter. -They'll be waiting... I doubt he gets away with the same behavior this season... Oh "his EYES are in the right place"... Terrific. -So are the opposing safety's... Think he'll leave the pocket without a spy on his tail? -Again, doubtful... I'm stoked too, just not about TT... He's clearly earned the crown. -Let's see how long he hangs onto it. :beer:

I've been re-watching all of the games from last season, and I definitely see TT improving both with reads, and with his pocket presence. Although, rarely did he step too far up into the pocket. Truly, he rarely had time, as the right side would collapse pretty quick. But, I would say that one of his deficiencies was to stay pretty far back in the pocket, always ready to escape. That made it really hard for Miller, and Henderson/Mills to defend him-- they just weren't good enough to protect that large of a space. It would be great to see Tyrod be able to climb up in the pocket and have the right side keep it tight. Maybe it only takes the right side of the line to improve? Certainly, Miller will be better. But, if Tyrod can do that, I think we may see improvement in the right side anyway. As it was last season, they needed eyes in the backs of their heads to know where he was.

I've been re-watching all of the games from last season, and I definitely see TT improving both with reads, and with his pocket presence. Although, rarely did he step too far up into the pocket. Truly, he rarely had time, as the right side would collapse pretty quick. But, I would say that one of his deficiencies was to stay pretty far back in the pocket, always ready to escape. That made it really hard for Miller, and Henderson/Mills to defend him-- they just weren't good enough to protect that large of a space. It would be great to see Tyrod be able to climb up in the pocket and have the right side keep it tight. Maybe it only takes the right side of the line to improve? Certainly, Miller will be better. But, if Tyrod can do that, I think we may see improvement in the right side anyway. As it was last season, they needed eyes in the backs of their heads to know where he was.

This is a really good take. My hope is pocket presence/awareness.

Some folks talk about tossing the ball in the middle of the field, well that will come with climbing the pocket and finding throwing lanes.

As you wisely mention. The relationship between the QB and his line men is the key.

TT trusting them and they knowing what feels and where the hell he is going !

Collapsing the pocket is a controllable event. When done correctly and in some degree of unity , good things can happen.

Last season was a bit of pocket mayhem