Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@SabresPR

The Sabres selected nine players on Day 2 of the 2016 NHL Draft.https://t.co/88S6BCzdOj

Buffalo Sabres 2016 Draft Class:
Round (Overall) – Player (Pos) / Amateur team

1 (8) – Alexander Nylander (LW) / Mississauga, OHL
2 (33) – Rasmus Asplund © / Farjestad, Sweden
3 (69) – Cliff Pu (RW) / London, OHL
3 (86) – Casey Fitzgerald (D) / Boston College, NCAA – Hockey East
4 (99) – Brett Murray (LW) / Carleton Place, CCHL
5 (129) – Philip Nyberg (D) / Linkoping Jr., Sweden (Jr.)
5 (130) – Vojtech Budik (D) / Prince Albert, WHL
6 (159) – Brandon Hagel (LW) / Red Deer, WHL
7 (189) – Austin Osmanski (D) / Mississauga, OHL
7 (190) – Vasily Glotov © / Lvy St. Petersburg 2, Russia (Jr.)

@SabresPR

The Sabres selected nine players on Day 2 of the 2016 NHL Draft.https://t.co/88S6BCzdOj

Buffalo Sabres 2016 Draft Class:

Round (Overall) – Player (Pos) / Amateur team

1 (8) – Alexander Nylander (LW) / Mississauga, OHL

2 (33) – Rasmus Asplund © / Farjestad, Sweden

3 (69) – Cliff Pu (RW) / London, OHL

3 (86) – Casey Fitzgerald (D) / Boston College, NCAA – Hockey East

4 (99) – Brett Murray (LW) / Carleton Place, CCHL

5 (129) – Philip Nyberg (D) / Linkoping Jr., Sweden (Jr.)

5 (130) – Vojtech Budik (D) / Prince Albert, WHL

6 (159) – Brandon Hagel (LW) / Red Deer, WHL

7 (189) – Austin Osmanski (D) / Mississauga, OHL

7 (190) – Vasily Glotov © / Lvy St. Petersburg 2, Russia (Jr.)

That pick at 69 is a real crapshoot.

I hope he doesn't stink.

Two OHL teams seemed to get a lot of calls with this draft, the Memorial Cup winning London Knights and the Mississauga Steelheads. The Knights finished the year with a seventeen game winning streak. I can't say how their prospects are going to do but both rosters were loaded with very good players. For the Sabres, that means Nylander, Pu and Osmanski. I cannot wait for October!!!

Two OHL teams seemed to get a lot of calls with this draft, the Memorial Cup winning London Knights and the Mississauga Steelheads. The Knights finished the year with a seventeen game winning streak. I can't say how their prospects are going to do but both rosters were loaded with very good players. For the Sabres, that means Nylander, Pu and Osmanski. I cannot wait for October!!!

As good as they were on very good and dominating teams, I would be shocked if any of the three play in the NHL this year. And in the case of Pu and Osmanski, I will be shocked if they are with us within three years.

GO SABRES!!!

Hope i am wrong, but i am off the Tim Murray bandwagon. Love listening to the guy, he is entertaining, but i think he is not so good at his job.

I got him at 1-3-1 in trades...hate this latest one, hated the Lehner trade, hated the McNabb trade, obviously like O'Reilly trade. Think the Kane trade is a push at this point.

I will give him full marks for commanding the tank, but now need to see some results from his roster moves.

I know I am cranky over the this latest trade, but i think the GMTM love fest is ending.

Hope i am wrong, but i am off the Tim Murray bandwagon. Love listening to the guy, he is entertaining, but i think he is not so good at his job.

I got him at 1-3-1 in trades...hate this latest one, hated the Lehner trade, hated the McNabb trade, obviously like O'Reilly trade. Think the Kane trade is a push at this point.

I will give him full marks for commanding the tank, but now need to see some results from his roster moves.

I know I am cranky over the this latest trade, but i think the GMTM love fest is ending.

With respect to the GM's latest trade of Pysk for Kulikov what about it don't you like? He is a left handed shooting player that was needed to balance out the defense. There is a good chance that he will be paired with Risto. At the minimum he is a top four defenseman. I've always like Pysk because he is a very efficient player. For those who take an analytical approach to evaluating he is considered a darling. The bottom line is if you want a good player in a trade you have to give up a good player.

When evaluating a deals the issue isn't so much how it helps the other team but it comes down to how the deals helps your team and balances out your own roster. From my perspective how the deals work out for the other teams is irrelevant. If your roster is bolstered then the deal is a good one.

I also have doubts about on the Lehner trade. But it is still too early to make a conclusive judgment. He has had injuries that have stalled his development. If he becomes a #1 goalie it will turn out to be a good deal, if not it won't.

Any GM who is very active is going to have misses. That isn't how you make a fair judgment. Over the past couple of seasons he has significantly turned the roster over and moved this team up the ranks to the point where next year they should be in the playoffs. and in a couple of more years they should be a serious team.

The trading market is at a very early stage. There are still deals to be made. I'm very interested in the Vesey pursuit and we are still in contention for Stamkos. So there is a lot potential activity before a reasonable judgment can be made on Murray this offseason.

The trading market is at a very early stage. There are still deals to be made. I'm very interested in the Vesey pursuit and we are still in contention for Stamkos. So there is a lot potential activity before a reasonable judgment can be made on Murray this offseason.

You nailed it right there. The offseason hasn't even started yet. It seems that most people were expecting a draft weekend just like last year's (how often do you see a team add their top two scorers on the same day?). It's not always going to be like that. My guess is they kick the can on the whole Stamkos thing and then things spiral from there. I'm not usually crazy about going all in on one target and then reacting from there, but this one is a special case. There's a ton of money involved around this one, a lot of dominoes falling all over the place after he signs with someone. You either sink a lot of cap space into Stamkos, or you miss out and then have a lot of money to spend in other places.

We now have a GM willing to make deals and all his deals will not always be perfect, but at least he's willing to take a chance. I can't even begin to understand the 1-3-1 in trades with it being less than 2 years since they were made, but every trade to this point was made to address a specific need at the time, that's how you begin to build a team. If they are not a playoff team in the next 2 years, the love fest will certainly be over. Until then, the off season should continue to be must watch entertainment for Sabre fans!

Edited by ricojes

You nailed it right there. The offseason hasn't even started yet. It seems that most people were expecting a draft weekend just like last year's (how often do you see a team add their top two scorers on the same day?). It's not always going to be like that. My guess is they kick the can on the whole Stamkos thing and then things spiral from there. I'm not usually crazy about going all in on one target and then reacting from there, but this one is a special case. There's a ton of money involved around this one, a lot of dominoes falling all over the place after he signs with someone. You either sink a lot of cap space into Stamkos, or you miss out and then have a lot of money to spend in other places.

Although Stamkos is an elite scorer I don't particularly want him at the price he will garner, and more importantly (to me) the length of the contract that will overlap the time when Eichel and Reinhart's second deals will need to be negotiated. I would prefer to use the Stamkos money to get two or three good players and in general bolster the roster.

I get the impression that Buffalo is going to push hard to sign Stamkos. It they get him under contract I won't complain. I would really love to sign Vesey. Even the cagey Murray is very candid about his desire to add him to the roster.

Edited by JohnC

Although Stamkos is an elite scorer I don't particularly want him at the price he will garner, and more importantly (to me) the length of the contract that will overlap the time when Eichel and Reinhart's second deals will need to be negotiated. I would prefer to use the Stamkos money to get two or three good players and in general bolster the roster.

I get the impression that Buffalo is going to push hard to sign Stamkos. It they get him under contract I won't complain. I would really love to sign Vesey. Even the cagey Murray is very candid about his desire to add him to the roster.

I'm really torn on the whole thing. I worry about those long term cap ramifications, but it sure would be a fun 2 years, seeing how the kids would play with someone like that on the roster. Still, I'd much rather the money went towards someone on the blue line and another secondary scorer. Good luck finding that defenseman though.

We now have a GM willing to make deals and all his deals will not always be perfect, but at least he's willing to take a chance. I can't even begin to understand the 1-3-1 in trades with it being less than 2 years since they were made, but every trade to this point was made to address a specific need at the time, that's how you begin to build a team. If they are not a playoff team in the next 2 years, the love fest will certainly be over. Until then, the off season should continue to be must watch entertainment for Sabre fans!

Goal for 2016: 90+ pts and potential 7th or 8th seed.

Goal for 2017: playoffs or bust.

With respect to the GM's latest trade of Pysk for Kulikov what about it don't you like? He is a left handed shooting player that was needed to balance out the defense. T

I like that he is a left-hand shot, don't like that he is a UFA after this year and Pysyk a RFA. I really liked Mark's game, thought he could be a nice solid top 4 for several years. Be interesting to know in hearts of hearts if they would have rather shipped Bogo but fo the NMC. And the whole expansion thing i am sure plays into as well.

I like he is willing to take a chance too..especially after the Darcy regime. :thumbsup:

The 1-3-1 is just how I view the trades right now..if Fashing proves to be a player, than the McNabb trade maybe looks better. But McNabb is a Top 4 left shot D-Man, RFA this year, more physical i think than Kulikov, but maybe not as nasty or dirty. I like to watch Deslauiriers, but don't think he has a place on a Cup Winning team. In Short, i would rather have McNabb and Pysyk then Kulikov, Fashing, and Nicky.

I am in the camp that a #1 for a goalie is a bad trade just about 100% of the time.

I know they say the swap of picks in this Pysyk trade was a big piece of this, and i admittingly have never seen Asplund play one minute. So if he turns into a top 6 or even 3 rd center, then i will change my mind on this trade.

Still love GMTM interviews!

I like that he is a left-hand shot, don't like that he is a UFA after this year and Pysyk a RFA. I really liked Mark's game, thought he could be a nice solid top 4 for several years. Be interesting to know in hearts of hearts if they would have rather shipped Bogo but fo the NMC. And the whole expansion thing i am sure plays into as well.

I like he is willing to take a chance too..especially after the Darcy regime. :thumbsup:

The 1-3-1 is just how I view the trades right now..if Fashing proves to be a player, than the McNabb trade maybe looks better. But McNabb is a Top 4 left shot D-Man, RFA this year, more physical i think than Kulikov, but maybe not as nasty or dirty. I like to watch Deslauiriers, but don't think he has a place on a Cup Winning team. In Short, i would rather have McNabb and Pysyk then Kulikov, Fashing, and Nicky.

I am in the camp that a #1 for a goalie is a bad trade just about 100% of the time.

I know they say the swap of picks in this Pysyk trade was a big piece of this, and i admittingly have never seen Asplund play one minute. So if he turns into a top 6 or even 3 rd center, then i will change my mind on this trade.

McNabb is just a terrible skater. I like his size, shot, and first pass ability but he'll get exposed as time goes on if he doesn't improve his skating exponentially. DK is a much better all around player - not even close.

I don't know why everyone gets wrapped up in the number one pick for Lehner. It's hockey, not the NFL. The hit rate on bottom third picks in the NHL is far lower than the NHL. Imagine the NFL draft being held with high school seniors and college freshmen instead of juniors and seniors. The hit rate would be terrible.

McNabb plays 5v5 as Doughty's partner typically but he is definitely LA's #5. Very little ST's play & little crunch time ice. Last time I checked, he was definitely outside the top 4 in ice time. LA playes him there because Doughty's that good that overall they believe the D is better w/ Doughty not having a better partner.

IMHO, calling him a top 4 D-man is akin to calling Gorges a top pairing guy. Yes, that's the ice time he gets, but Gorges should be 3rd pairing & on the top pk unit. Unfortunately, on this past year's Sabres he was their best option at Ristolainen's partner.

2 questions:

- why do I keep hearing about Pysyk being loved by analytics people. What is it they he does in that regard?

- what is the deal with Stamkos and his blood clots? It seems so risky to sign him. What did he play - one playoff game? Is it anything like Chris Bosh's blood clots, where he missed the end of the season again, and may not ever play again?

McNabb is just a terrible skater. I like his size, shot, and first pass ability but he'll get exposed as time goes on if he doesn't improve his skating exponentially. DK is a much better all around player - not even close.

I don't know why everyone gets wrapped up in the number one pick for Lehner. It's hockey, not the NFL. The hit rate on bottom third picks in the NHL is far lower than the NHL. Imagine the NFL draft being held with high school seniors and college freshmen instead of juniors and seniors. The hit rate would be terrible.

Agree on the skating part for Braydon, and as you say i think he makes very good first pass.

I worry about the #1 for Lehner in terms of GMTM being married to him. I really want him to work out, and the plus is he is an RFA.

McNabb plays 5v5 as Doughty's partner typically but he is definitely LA's #5. Very little ST's play & little crunch time ice. Last time I checked, he was definitely outside the top 4 in ice time. LA playes him there because Doughty's that good that overall they believe the D is better w/ Doughty not having a better partner.

IMHO, calling him a top 4 D-man is akin to calling Gorges a top pairing guy. Yes, that's the ice time he gets, but Gorges should be 3rd pairing & on the top pk unit. Unfortunately, on this past year's Sabres he was their best option at Ristolainen's partner.

good points, especially on Georges.

2 questions:

- why do I keep hearing about Pysyk being loved by analytics people. What is it they he does in that regard?

- what is the deal with Stamkos and his blood clots? It seems so risky to sign him. What did he play - one playoff game? Is it anything like Chris Bosh's blood clots, where he missed the end of the season again, and may not ever play again?

Imo pysyk played a lot of bottom 5-6 protected Minutes against teams 3rd and 4th lines. He looks good on paper for smooth outlet passes but to me, didn't pass the eyeball test. He seemed very weak defensively in his own zone and could never tie his man up in front of the net.

I don't know about the clots, even more locally on the sabres Cody McCormick is retired because of effects from his blood clot.

Strangely enough that pick is looking pretty good for Ottawa so far. White had a hell of a season at BC. But yeah, you don't think twice about that deal. No matter what he turns out to be it was still one huge crap shoot.

Imo pysyk played a lot of bottom 5-6 protected Minutes against teams 3rd and 4th lines. He looks good on paper for smooth outlet passes but to me, didn't pass the eyeball test. He seemed very weak defensively in his own zone and could never tie his man up in front of the net.

I don't know about the clots, even more locally on the sabres Cody McCormick is retired because of effects from his blood clot.

Oh yeah, I knew there was somebody else with the clots that I was missing.

So, what analytics show Pysyk to be so good?

is it time to trade Kane after another office issue?

Yes, the prudent course of action would be a knee-jerk reaction after allegations of misdemeanor assault at 3 a.m. outside a bar. Good call.

is it time to trade Kane after another office issue?

Absolutely not, but it is time he stop hanging out in bars late into the night.

Nikita Zadorov claims Sabres don’t want too many Russians

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/nikita_zadorov_claims_the_sabres_dont_want_too_many_russians_on_their_team/s1_10240_21197536

Edited by ricojes

2 questions:

There are a couple of measurable that favor Pysyk when he is on the ice. Puck possession is one measurable but the critical measures are the plus/minus differentials when he is on the ice with the grouping he is playing with. The stats clearly indicate that Eichel's numbers are better when Pysyk is on the ice with him than when other defensemen are.

What makes Pysyk's analytical numbers even more impressive is that he is not usually paired with the better defensemen on the team. When watching the games it may not be apparent to most because he is not a banger but he is one of the most efficient defensemen on the team in moving the puck out of the defensive zone to the forwards into the offensive zone.

The below link is an analysis of the trade by Mathew Coller of WGR.

http://www.wgr550.com/The-many-angles-of-the-Pysyk-for-Kulikov-trade/22791936

Edited by JohnC

There are a couple of measurable that favor Pysyk when he is on the ice. Puck possession is one measurable but the critical measures are the plus/minus differentials when he is on the ice with the grouping he is playing with. The stats clearly indicate that Eichel's numbers are better when Pysyk is on the ice with him than when other defensemen are.

What makes Pysyk's analytical numbers even more impressive is that he is not usually paired with the better defensemen on the team. When watching the games it may not be apparent to most because he is not a banger but he is one of the most efficient defensemen on the team in moving the puck out of the defensive zone to the forwards into the offensive zone.

Very interesting - thanks for the info!

The flip side of Not being paired with a top pairing D man he has played a lot of protected Minutes against other teams 3rd and 4th lines.

IMO Casey Nelson may be a similar player that replaces him.

Yes, the prudent course of action would be a knee-jerk reaction after allegations of misdemeanor assault at 3 a.m. outside a bar. Good call.

not his first offense, plus his problems from Winnipeg

Absolutely not, but it is time he stop hanging out in bars late into the night.

Nikita Zadorov claims Sabres don’t want too many Russians

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/nikita_zadorov_claims_the_sabres_dont_want_too_many_russians_on_their_team/s1_10240_21197536

didn't we just trade for a Russian?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

not his first offense, plus his problems from Winnipeg

He hasn't been charged with anything and I don't believe they'll pursue misdemeanor charges for this allegation. That being said, it's not a good look by any stretch of the imagination. He really needs to stay away from these situations and grow up, there's still 3 months before the hockey season begins, (other than no charges being filed) I hope I don't hear his name until then...

The flip side of Not being paired with a top pairing D man he has played a lot of protected Minutes against other teams 3rd and 4th lines.

IMO Casey Nelson may be a similar player that replaces him.

It is difficult to get an exact reading of what the stats actually reflect because as you noted who you are on the ice with and when are factos. But the stats are broken down into great detail. The stats do indicate that when on the ice with Eichel, one of our best scorers, Eichel's numbers do go up. The bottom line in assessing Pysyk is that his plus/minus numbers are very good.

It is very challenging to assess a trade until much later down the line. With the trade of Pysyk the Sabres moved up in the second round and drafted a player they felt was a first round value. It will be a couple or few years before we know how good he can be. In addition, I get the impression that the GM wants his defensemen to be bangers. That's certainly not the departed player's game.

As Murray has repeatedly stated after making deals when trading for talent you have to give up talent. It's not about hustling anyone. It's about making deals that make your roster more balanced and better.

Murray even commented on that in his press conference..saying this should disprove the myth of my anti Russian bias

I'm still trying to figure out why an anti-Russian bias would be a bad thing. The flight risk to the KHL is a very legitimate thing. It's always going to be risk/reward with those players. The reward of a proven NHL defender in Kulikov is far more worth it compared to a young prospect or draft eligible player who has proven nothing yet. Now if an Ovechkin level player is there at your draft slot, you sure as hell are taking that guy.