Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought that NHL trades after the deadline are allowed among teams that are out of the playoffs?

Pretty sure that teams in the playoffs can also make trades, but there's no point to it as any player picked up after the deadline can't play in the playoffs.

Pretty sure that teams in the playoffs can also make trades, but there's no point to it as any player picked up after the deadline can't play in the playoffs.

Do the trading teams have to notify playoff teams about the deal? I always thought that the playoff teams get shafted a bit for the following year because they don't participate in a trade they may otherwise be interested in the offseason.

Do the trading teams have to notify playoff teams about the deal? I always thought that the playoff teams get shafted a bit for the following year because they don't participate in a trade they may otherwise be interested in the offseason.

Just through the league office after the trade was consumated.

Even in the regular & off seasons GM's don't always let everyone know a guy is on the block. When Thornton was traded, the Bruins ONLY worked on a deal w/ SJ for fear that Joe/ the fans would hear about it before a trade could be completed & it'd blow up in the B's faces. If they couldn't get the deal done they were going to wait until the trade deadline at a minimum before revisiting dumping him.

Just through the league office after the trade was consumated.

Even in the regular & off seasons GM's don't always let everyone know a guy is on the block. When Thornton was traded, the Bruins ONLY worked on a deal w/ SJ for fear that Joe/ the fans would hear about it before a trade could be completed & it'd blow up in the B's faces. If they couldn't get the deal done they were going to wait until the trade deadline at a minimum before revisiting dumping him.

Well there's the problem. They worried about the fans and Thornton and didn't actually worry about their return instead.

Well there's the problem. They worried about the fans and Thornton and didn't actually worry about their return instead.

But yet they went to 2 SCFs since, winning 1 & it took SJ a decade to get there & look horrendously outmatched. Maybe, somebody else should have worried about the return as well. ;)

But yet they went to 2 SCFs since, winning 1 & it took SJ a decade to get there & look horrendously outmatched. Maybe, somebody else should have worried about the return as well. ;)

And by the end of the season, O'Connell was sent packing and Sinden lost all power. That string of success was fully on Chiarelli's shoulders. It does make you wonder how much more they may have been able to do if they had Thornton or a better return for him.

Call me crazy, but I think the Sharks would take the return they got any day. Sure, they haven't won anything, but they've been a perennial power for ten years now and the franchise is going to end up with their first hall of famer. I know most seem to push the Stanley Cup or nothing attitude, but I'd love to have the ten year stretch they've had. I'm probably one of few who enjoyed the hell out of our 2006-2007 season and I don't look back at any of that as a failure.

This wouldn't be much of a surprise, but it would be pretty awesome! Are the Pegulas hiring for their own regional sports network?

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2016/6/15/11943104/are-pegulas-hiring-for-western-new-york-regional-sports-network

Don't be surprised if Sal Capaccio lands there.

And by the end of the season, O'Connell was sent packing and Sinden lost all power. That string of success was fully on Chiarelli's shoulders. It does make you wonder how much more they may have been able to do if they had Thornton or a better return for him.

Call me crazy, but I think the Sharks would take the return they got any day. Sure, they haven't won anything, but they've been a perennial power for ten years now and the franchise is going to end up with their first hall of famer. I know most seem to push the Stanley Cup or nothing attitude, but I'd love to have the ten year stretch they've had. I'm probably one of few who enjoyed the hell out of our 2006-2007 season and I don't look back at any of that as a failure.

In the 4 years prior to grabbing Joe, the Snarks had had finishes of 2nd, 1st, 5th, & 1st in the Pacific. That team had been rising under Lombardi & then stayed strong under Wilson. That team has been a LOT more than just Thornton and was very good w/out him. They have routinely dissapointed in the playoffs. They got lucky that Anaheim lost to Nashville, because they would've had their standard 2nd round exit were it not for that. (They still might've had it if not for the extra day rest before game 7 which definitely helped the geriatrics on that team.)

Most everybody is on the "Thornton's awesome bandwagon." You'll never see me there. A guy that big has to bring more than perimeter passing. I would take Marleau in a heartbeat before taking Joe (& at this point, a whole lot of other guys than either of them from that team ;)).

SJ is a very fun team to watch, but as long as Joe is there, expect regular season success & playoff failure.

The attached Buffalo News link is a story about Mike Robataille and his lawsuit against the NHL. It is a graphic description of the brutality associated with the old time game and the lack of medical attential and medical malpractice that injured players endured. It is a gruesome portrayal of hockey during Mike's era. At least now the league is trying to make the game safer and be more responsible in the way they players are treated.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/06/17/former-sabre-mike-robitaille-and-103-other-former-hockey-players-sue-nhl/

@Sportsnet

ICYMI: "This could be a wild one." @JeffMarek shares his 2016 Mock #NHLDraft. http://sprtsnt.ca/28L0AVz

@SpeedStick
ClPXodBXIAESbx1.jpg

8. BUFFALO SABRES
Alexander Nylander, LW, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): While it’s believed the Sabres are looking for a defenceman, the pair they covet probably won’t be there when they select. Expect them to go for the slick, goal scoring, second generation Swede.

@WGR550

How Justin Bailey’s progress could affect Sabres’ roster moves? http://bit.ly/1Upm42N

In January, there weren’t many people who thought there would be a headline about Justin Bailey pushing for a full-time roster spot on the 2016-17 Buffalo Sabres. But his second half performance has given the Sabres confidence he will be ready to make an impact sooner than later.

Through January, the Williamsville native had just seven goals and 11 assists for the Rochester Amerks. Coming from the juniors, most prospects struggle to make their game immediately translate to the AHL, which is bigger, faster, smarter and more experienced. In juniors, Bailey ran roughshod over smaller, slower players. In the AHL, he was still faster than everyone, but not that much bigger, certainly not stronger and absolutely not as well-versed in the game.

The middle-to-end of the AHL season often separates rookies into two categories: 1) Long-shots 2) Legit prospects. Bailey landed in the second category, scoring 13 goals and 14 assists. To break it down a little further:

Taro, I I have a hard time ever placing the blame on a single guys shoulders, especially while saying a team is so much more than just him. He won't go down as one of the all time greats, but I'm sure he will sneak into the HoF eventually.

Taro, I I have a hard time ever placing the blame on a single guys shoulders, especially while saying a team is so much more than just him. He won't go down as one of the all time greats, but I'm sure he will sneak into the HoF eventually.

Phil f'n Housley got into the HoF. No way Thornton doesn't get there based on his longevity & regular season play. Doesn't mean he isn't overrated (actually reinforces it IMHO).

If Thornton was all his (many) supporters claim him to be, he'd've had some success (not necessarily championships, but far more than SJ has achieved) in the playoffs in either Beantown or near the Bay.