Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

It was confirmed on Monday afternoon, just hours after the Predators dealt Vesey’s rights to the Sabres for a third round pick in the 2016 draft, that the 23-year-old winger still plans to explore free agency.

“Jimmy’s intent at this time has not changed and is prepared to become a free agent on August 15,” reported Nick Filipowski, a sports anchor for WKBW in Buffalo, New York.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was confirmed on Monday afternoon, just hours after the Predators dealt Vesey’s rights to the Sabres for a third round pick in the 2016 draft, that the 23-year-old winger still plans to explore free agency.

“Jimmy’s intent at this time has not changed and is prepared to become a free agent on August 15,” reported Nick Filipowski, a sports anchor for WKBW in Buffalo, New York.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/jimmy-veseys-agent-confirms-hell-still-hit-free-agency/

If Whaley traded a 3rd rounder for nobody would everyone treat him like a genius? Murray sure is Teflon.

Great read by Garth on Vesey. He states that he still can't be signed before August 15th. I hope that's not true, would love to have him in the fold before FA begins.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=77649

That's not right at all. Vesey can sign anytime before August 15th which only marks the day when he can sign with any team after his rights are no longer held by the Sabres.

If Whaley traded a 3rd rounder for nobody would everyone treat him like a genius? Murray sure is Teflon.

I wouldn't say he's a genius, but when you have 4 third round picks and use one of them for a chance at exclusive negotiation rights for highly touted player coming out of college, I can't argue with that. GMTM is not teflon, he is taking heat for some moves and others need to pan out. He is early into his Sabre GM career and he gets a little slack for that, but he's not perfect and will see his fair share of criticism if things do not go well this season...

I wouldn't say he's a genius, but when you have 4 third round picks and use one of them for a chance at exclusive negotiation rights for highly touted player coming out of college, I can't argue with that. GMTM is not teflon, he is taking heat for some moves and others need to pan out. He is early into his Sabre GM career and he gets a little slack for that, but he's not perfect and will see his fair share of criticism if things do not go well this season...

Bet you haven't heard of these guys. Bottom line is a 3rd round pick is almost nothing to give up for a chance to negotiate exclusively with a player as good as Vesey. It's a great gamble with almost no risk. Well done GMTM!

Last fifteen #76 overall picks:

2015 - Adin Hill - G

2014 - Elvis Merzlikins - G

2013 - Taylor Cammarata - C

2012 - Chris Driedger - G (2 NHL games)

2011 - Logan Shaw - RW (53 NHL games)

2010 - Jakub Culek - LW

2009 - Igor Bobkov - G

2008 - Mathieu Brodeur - D

2007 - Jason Gregiore - LW

2006 - Tony Lagerstrom - C

2005 - Shea Guthrie - C

2004 - Scott Lehman - D (1 NHL game)

2003 - Richard Stehlik - D

2002 - Michael Tessier - LW (Buffalo)

2001 - Oliver Setzinger - LW

@BNHarrington

Big #Sabres day ahead: GMTM presser at 11; NHL '16-17 schedule released at 1.

Bet you haven't heard of these guys. Bottom line is a 3rd round pick is almost nothing to give up for a chance to negotiate exclusively with a player as good as Vesey. It's a great gamble with almost no risk. Well done GMTM!

Last fifteen #76 overall picks:

2015 - Adin Hill - G

2014 - Elvis Merzlikins - G

2013 - Taylor Cammarata - C

2012 - Chris Driedger - G (2 NHL games)

2011 - Logan Shaw - RW (53 NHL games)

2010 - Jakub Culek - LW

2009 - Igor Bobkov - G

2008 - Mathieu Brodeur - D

2007 - Jason Gregiore - LW

2006 - Tony Lagerstrom - C

2005 - Shea Guthrie - C

2004 - Scott Lehman - D (1 NHL game)

2003 - Richard Stehlik - D

2002 - Michael Tessier - LW (Buffalo)

2001 - Oliver Setzinger - LW

@BNHarrington

Big #Sabres day ahead: GMTM presser at 11; NHL '16-17 schedule released at 1.

When you put it that way....

He's traded a 4th for nobody (Brown) so I'm inclined to say yes, they would. Murray is building the team right, center-out.

Couple of things... Murray has had the GM job almost as long as Whaley. His worst move, though it could still turn around, was trading a 1st for goalie Robin Lehner who missed almost the entire season due to injury. And as for trading a pick for Vesey, a third in the NHL does not compare to a third in the NFL in value.

Lastly, it was said earlier but I will reiterate, the Sabres can sign Vesey right now. In fact that's the whole point of trading for his rights. The Sabres are the only team that can negotiate with him.

Someone on SabreSpace linked an article that explains it beautifully. Murray made the trade because the Sabres can't afford to wait till August 15 to know if they have Vesey. Signing him or not affects everything the team plans to do, from who to draft to what free agents to pursue. They also want Vesey to attend the Sabres prospects camp after the draft.

Don't expect this Vesey drama to drag out. He signs inside two weeks or the Sabres move on.

Couple of things... Murray has had the GM job almost as long as Whaley. His worst move, though it could still turn around, was trading a 1st for goalie Robin Lehner who missed almost the entire season due to injury. And as for trading a pick for Vesey, a third in the NHL does not compare to a third in the NFL in value.

Lastly, it was said earlier but I will reiterate, the Sabres can sign Vesey right now. In fact that's the whole point of trading for his rights. The Sabres are the only team that can negotiate with him.

Someone on SabreSpace linked an article that explains it beautifully. Murray made the trade because the Sabres can't afford to wait till August 15 to know if they have Vesey. Signing him or not affects everything the team plans to do, from who to draft to what free agents to pursue. They also want Vesey to attend the Sabres prospects camp after the draft.

Don't expect this Vesey drama to drag out. He signs inside two weeks or the Sabres move on.

Whaley has been with the Bills for about 6 years, with 3 as GM. GMTM has been with the Sabres 2 and a half years. I don't really see the point in comparing them. And trading for Lehner still is a question mark on his resume, we'll know more after this year. He was hurt in a season that no one was expecting much. Now with higher expectations, he needs to deliver.

I agree with everything else though. I like the trade, it's a very low risk/high reward move.

Edited by ricojes

His worst move, though it could still turn around, was trading a 1st for goalie Robin Lehner who missed almost the entire season due to injury.

His worst move (by far) is the Moulson contract.

/shudder