Jags to deploy no-huddle this season - bad news for Bills?

Bortles had 35 TDs last season, one less than Brady tied for 2nd in the league. There's no reason to suspect he'll do much less this season. He's got great WRs, Robinson and Hurns, both of which by the way were in Sammy's draft, and both of whom have outplayed Sammy on a per-start basis.

If Yeldon improves they could be the best offense in the AFC behind the Pats. They drafted nothing but D and by all counts did a bang-up job. Ramsey alone should yield immediate benefits on D there.

Inflated passing #s. Fans have really fallen for Bortles and Carr. Facts are both Oakland and Jacksonville were ranked behind Buffalo's offense in yards and points, also behind them in DVOA by a lot. Its hard for fans to look passed the big passing numbers.

They are a talented offense, as is Buffalo.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the no huddle requires any more pass protection than a huddling offense. In fact, the idea is that you go so fast and put so much pressure on the defense that they have to limit their calls and go more "vanilla". This would actually help the pass protection and allow the QBs to make simpler reads, therefore getting the ball out quicker.

I don't agree with this at all. A no-huddle aims to keep a defense off-balance. But, as we saw with Jauron/Edwards, having a porous O-line did more to put the offense off-balance. Yes, the defense is limited in a no-huddle, but offensive play calling is simplified, as well. And, because the offense relies on making adjustments, and play calls at the LOS, the QB's options are diminished considerably when he has 2.2 seconds in the pocket. There's no reason to play "vanilla defense" against a no-huddle with an ineffective O-line. Edwards was blitzed constantly under such a scheme. And, because the play calling was thus simplified, it made it all too easy for defenses to pressure the hell out of him.

I'm not a football "expert" and I'm a fan of Rex's D going back many years. A no- huddle offense seems like bad news though for a D that has many checks at the LOS. I like the fact that the Bills get Jags at home but will the noise factor make up for the quick snaps?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000666886/article/jags-plan-to-deploy-nohuddle-offense-more-in-2016?campaign=Twitter_atn

Oh and I love the Jags offensive weapons.

love their weapons too but I think we will be alright, it's only one game right? :unsure:

Is this the same high powered no-huddle that Marrone and Hackett implemented in Buffalo? Im shaking over here.

With the right tools it could have been good.

At least their QB is going onto his third year instead of trying it out for the first time on a rookie.

Bortles had 35 TDs last season, one less than Brady tied for 2nd in the league. There's no reason to suspect he'll do much less this season. He's got great WRs, Robinson and Hurns, both of which by the way were in Sammy's draft, and both of whom have outplayed Sammy on a per-start basis.

If Yeldon improves they could be the best offense in the AFC behind the Pats. They drafted nothing but D and by all counts did a bang-up job. Ramsey alone should yield immediate benefits on D there.

If the Jags take off I'll will be pissed because I wanted their QB and GM.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Basically, their no-huddle offense looks eerily similar to the 4 plays you could run in Techmo Bowl.

You know what else it sounds like

A college coach that people salivated about around here that ended up going to the Eagles

Who ran a uptempo offense

Who got fired

I think it is so interesting how people will make excuses left and right for a team that almost ALWAYS picks in the top 5 of the NFL draft....but looks for reasons to B word about a bills team that outperforms them 95 percent of the time

Lesson here? Don't fire your head coach for the halibut. Commit to a program and give it a chance.

Gus Bradley finally has a squad. Let's see what he can do with it.

It will be interesting to see what the Bills staff can do with the kind of patience extended to them that posters here have so generously bestowed upon Gus Bradley et al.

Edited by Thurmal34

If the Jags take off I'll will be pissed because I wanted their QB and GM.

Then we're safe! I fully expect the London Jags to battle Tennessee for 4th in the AFC South.

Bortles is a huge question mark for that team. Didn't Marrone bring in David Lee to

Coach up the wildcat in Buffalo? or was it Chan? Didn't work. isn't he The Same David Lee that is now Tyrods QB coach?

I have doubts about him.

Explain, please....I can see maybe having doubts about him but a huge question mark? I don't think so

Edited by nucci

A college coach that people salivated about around here that ended up going to the Eagles

Who got fired

I think it is so interesting how people will make excuses left and right for a team that almost ALWAYS picks in the top 5 of the NFL draft....but looks for reasons to B word about a bills team that outperforms them 95 percent of the time

Who got fired for his abilities as a GM and run ins with players. He's a successful coach who, if he adjusts his thinking a bit (faster pace followed by 3 & out or TO killed his defense by year end), will continue to be successful.

I don't get the gleefulness with which we cast stones. This franchise is the laughingstock and will remain the laughingstock until the playoffs are finally reached; yet, we love to gloat and boast about how much better than this or that team we are. The fact that we are led by The Rantings & Ravings of Rex & Rob AKA "The Bombastic Brothers" does not improve how the franchise is viewed.

But...carry on...

Who got fired

I knew that eventually this thread would turn into complaining about other Bills fans who criticize the team. They all do. Edited by vincec

i'd take the jags offense over ours on some days.

if they had a defense half as good as ours last year they'd be 8-8. their d was lousy. even our crap d last year would improve them.

id take their crap division year after year

Edited by CardinalScotts

I don't agree with this at all. A no-huddle aims to keep a defense off-balance. But, as we saw with Jauron/Edwards, having a porous O-line did more to put the offense off-balance. Yes, the defense is limited in a no-huddle, but offensive play calling is simplified, as well. And, because the offense relies on making adjustments, and play calls at the LOS, the QB's options are diminished considerably when he has 2.2 seconds in the pocket. There's no reason to play "vanilla defense" against a no-huddle with an ineffective O-line. Edwards was blitzed constantly under such a scheme. And, because the play calling was thus simplified, it made it all too easy for defenses to pressure the hell out of him.

I put the Bills failures mostly on the QB. As I said originally, I think that going no huddle puts the spotlight on your QB. In the Bills case, that was not good.

Their offense was not the reason for that last year it was their shocking D. It is put up or shut up time for Bradley and the Jaguars this year though. I quietly fancy them to contend in what I think will be an improved AFC South but if they don't a house cleaning will follow.

And Marrone will get his big chance.

The 2 minute drill is fine , but if you do 3 and out too often it will tire out your defense in no time.

It is a good strategy against the Bill's complex D with substitutions.

And Marrone will get his big chance.

Speaking of which - I thought the Jags gig was supposed to be for just the one season. Seems like maybe the market for his Head Coaching services was a tad weaker than he expected.

The Jags have quietly built what has the makings of a good team the last 3 years. Bortles has the potential to be a star QB. They have Robinson and Hurns on the outside with Julius Thomas @ TE. If Thomas can stay healthy it will just open up things more so for Bortles and the rest of those guys. Don't forget Marquis Lee in all of this either. He seems to finally be healthy for them and he will likely be lining up in the slot. They signed Chris Ivory in FA to form a nice duo with TJ Yeldon. The question is if Dougie can bring that OL together on offense? Last year they were horrid.

On defense they have an up and coming LB in Telvin Smith. They also went out and signed Malik Jackson away from Denver to play beside Alualu and Roy Miller. They also got Tashaun Gipson from Cleveland who is one of the better FS in the NFL at this time. They will also have a lot of talent playing for the first time this year in Dante Fowler, Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, Sheldon Day, and Yannick Ngakoue, This defense should be MUCH improved from a year ago. The question is how quiick will they be able to learn the system and put it together on the field? If these guys click then I fully expect them to go from top 5 pick this past draft to contending for the division.

Edited by H2o