Bart Scott to mentor Reggie Ragland!

I felt as though this was big news and deserved its own thread. Bart Scott has offered his services to Reggie Ragland to teach him Rex's defense! He has promised to help him simplify it so that it's not overwhelming for him. Great news especially since Ragland is expected to step in and start at the same position as Bart day 1

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/24540/bart-scott-wants-to-mentor-bills-reggie-ragland-in-rex-ryans-defense

b3x42LX.png

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott sounds like a bright guy -- I've always wondered if the "complexity" of certain defenses was overblown. Looking at the concepts, not specific plays, makes all the sense in the world.

This could also be confirmation that Rex doesn't do a great job of simplifying the concepts for his players. All the more reason to bring in guys like Ed Reed who can help.

I hope Ragland takes Scott up on his offer -- it can't hurt.

Scott sounds like a bright guy -- I've always wondered if the "complexity" of certain defenses was overblown. Looking at the concepts, not specific plays, makes all the sense in the world.

This could also be confirmation that Rex doesn't do a great job of simplifying the concepts for his players. All the more reason to bring in guys like Ed Reed who can help.

The excuse that it's too complicated is just that losing culture rearing it's ugly head in the Bills locker room.

It's still just football. Some mentorship from veterans who were successful in this defense could prove invaluable.

I think it's more because Ragland is a rookie and will be asked to have important responsibilities. Also one of the things I read on Ragland is it takes him a while to learn the playbook but once he gets it down he retains.

Rex can't spend significant time with one player or a group so I don't think it's about him not being able to communicate his concepts - help is needed to accomplish it.

Would not expect Rex to be the one teach the plays, that is what position coaches do and when Rex depended on them there were some "communication" issues hence some were replaced.

How much of THIS exact defense could Scott know?

Terminology is often the biggest barrier. Like Scott said, Ragland probably knows a lot of what Rex is trying to do. Bart Scott will hopefully transfer the Rex terminology into something that Rags can comprehend easier

Many of us felt it would take the better part of a half-season or so for the players to become comfortable in the new defense. I doubt any of our players had experienced a defense with so many pre/post snap reads previously. That doesn't make it too complex, necessarily, these guys aren't new to the game afterall, but a learning curve was to be expected. It didn't help that several key members didn't buy in and began questioning everything, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Hope he gets the defense in order and has a more disciplined team this year, because there is certainly an upside to Rex as coach. Big hope though.

Discipline was the biggest issue IMO last year and discipline unlike teaching fundamentals of position or communicating to players is responsibility of head coach; it was the biggest flaw last year.