Bart Scott to mentor Reggie Ragland!

Well I agree with the second half of your post we just fall into opposite categories when it comes to his ability. We'll see and I'm rooting for your point of view.

Somebody said we'd be #1 but you may be right about Rex saying #4 would not be satisfying. It may have been one of the players saying we'd be #1 and not Rex.

If we had been #4 and Rex was satisfied I wonder what our W/L record might have been.

Maybe our W/L record would have been better if we had better replacements for KW when he was injured...if we didn't lose Kiko and replace the Mike LB with a rookie, if we didn't lose Aaron Williams in week 2, etc. There are so many variables...one thing I know, our team played well out of the gate Week 1 vs Indy and then the injuries piled up. It happens to a lot of teams...it certainly looks as though we have some experience and depth now.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows what the LB coaches do specifically. It's likely to be somewhat different on every staff. Maybe they just teach technique or moves and don't do much teaching on the scheme. Maybe they do. Maybe they dance because they want to and leave this world behind.

No, there is likely a limit on how many people and different voices can be useful though.

I agree on the to many voices. If Scott helps Ragland understand his assignments and how to communicate with Rex, great.

I agree 100% about Mario (and I used to be one of his biggest defenders).

It is curious just how many threads on this site devolve into Rex haters pushing their own narrative.

Re Mario: Anyone with eyes could see that he went on strike. It was embarrassing for him. Say what you will about Rex, Mario is just about the only player (except for maybe that back up Jets TE) who ever seemed to have an issue with Rex. That says more about Mario than Rex.

Re Rex: It must kill the Rex haters every time a draft pick or other player says how excited he is to be playing for Rex. Doug Whaley even said on the radio the other day how agents have told him that Buffalo has become a target destination because of both the Pegulas and Rex.

P.S. The advantage of Bart Scott helping out is that the Bills' coaches are restricted in how much contact they may have with players in the off season.

Your own statement makes one of the points being made by those you call "Rex haters." Can you imagine how, say, Belichick would have handled Mario if he quit on him? So what did Wrecks do? Nothing. The guy is a self-promoting bag of gas whose career as a HC has amounted to a couple of "close but no banana" years, and a much longer period of failure. He has been in decline now for years. No wonder he's a "Trump guy," another self-promoting bag of gas with a sketchy record of success.

BTW, critiquing someone's output on a factual basis is NOT being a "hater."

Your own statement makes one of the points being made by those you call "Rex haters." Can you imagine how, say, Belichick would have handled Mario if he quit on him? So what did Wrecks do? Nothing. The guy is a self-promoting bag of gas whose career as a HC has amounted to a couple of "close but no banana" years, and a much longer period of failure. He has been in decline now for years. No wonder he's a "Trump guy," another self-promoting bag of gas with a sketchy record of success.

Some how that "factual basis" never seems to take into account the injuries to key players or Mario going on strike.

I am not an x's and o's guy but like you i saw the defense fail last year as Rex's defenses did for years running before last year.

One specific is that the other teams seem to have figured out that changing personnel and calling plays quickly easily beat Rex's D. It was said many times by our own players. This may be because of our inept execution in play calling or because there is no way to get the complex call in on time given the structure designed in a different era. It won't just start "working again" without changes. Rex's answer to that was calling Preston Brown dumb. He needs a better fully pregnant answer. The Bart Scott thing seems like a set up to call Ragland dumb at a later date.

You can call Mario Williams a lot of things, but "bad player" is a stretch.

Correct. In fact, it sounds like you're not a "watched every game" kind of guy either, or else you would have noted a marked improvement in our defense over the last quarter of the year.

It's called a left handed compliment. "He's a smart enough kid" is in direct contrast to the implication in the first sentence that Brown knew his job. If he in fact knew his job then why add the "smart enough" comment? It makes no sense. It does not take any smarts to be loud. None. So why insert that comment in there? Then he doubles down with "his dad is a football coach". That also has nothing to do with yelling, but more to do with acumen.

It's all a deflection. What the heck was Brown supposed to yell when the play call came in with no time left?

Maybe Ragland will come in and be the leader. He certainly seems the type. Is he smart enough to translate Rex's D in a nanosecond and communicate it to the other 10 guys? Is Stephen Hawking? I guess we'll find out, but we already know that Bart Scott thinks he'll need help.

This is not a left handed compliment, it is a challenge. We can tell it is a challenge because Rex he straight up calls it one. If you don't like Rex, fine, don't like Rex. But trying to "back up" your position with non-facts and fairly blatant misinterpretations of quotes just makes your arguments consistently weak.

Edited by ndirish1978

I agree 100% about Mario (and I used to be one of his biggest defenders).

It is curious just how many threads on this site devolve into Rex haters pushing their own narrative.

Re Mario: Anyone with eyes could see that he went on strike. It was embarrassing for him. Say what you will about Rex, Mario is just about the only player (except for maybe that back up Jets TE) who ever seemed to have an issue with Rex. That says more about Mario than Rex.

Re Rex: It must kill the Rex haters every time a draft pick or other player says how excited he is to be playing for Rex. Doug Whaley even said on the radio the other day how agents have told him that Buffalo has become a target destination because of both the Pegulas and Rex.

P.S. The advantage of Bart Scott helping out is that the Bills' coaches are restricted in how much contact they may have with players in the off season.

you're logic is so much fail it's not even worth attempting a response but drink up on the kool aid.

what these guys tell the media is a joke. believing what a player, a coach, a gm or an owner says in the media is hilarious.

and bart scott is a douche.

Oh brother.

Listen to just how excited they are to play for Rex. One would have to have an agenda not to notice the difference in how players are responding and excited to play for Rex (as opposed to prior coaches we have had).

As for Mario:

(1) Mario cannot ever be considered the best player when he went on strike for the year; g

(2) There is not one guy -- other than Mario -- who pulled this sh%t while playing for Rex in Rex's entire coaching career. Mario is the outlier - not a typical example of how players have responded to Rex.

Of course, you already know that.

they'd be just as excited to get paid millions of dollars and bag groceries. wouldn't you?

that they get to play football makes them that happier.

hell, go back and read comments about players when jauron was here, mularky, etc. you won't hear anyone saying anything negative.

right before marrone left, go look at those comments. players loved him. supported him.

I think this is good news from a guy who's been there done that willing to mentor.

I feel like the stars are aligning for significant improvement this year.

what did bart scott do and where did he go?

he ain't done ****.

This is not a left handed compliment, it is a challenge. We can tell it is a challenge because Rex he straight up calls it one.

why is rex ryan doing it in the media? what a !@#$ing schmuck

ryan has his scapegoat for 2016. that's all he is doing.

Mario put him in a tough spot in year one of coaching a new team that he's trying to get behind him. Don't be stupid.

I agree on the to many voices. If Scott helps Ragland understand his assignments and how to communicate with Rex, great.

How hard is it to communicate with a bloviating coach that has not sniffed the playoffs in what 6'years running? And won nothing as a HC in his career. Who interviewed this clown? IMO Whaley gets a pass here. The Brandon stink is all over the hire IMO.

it sounds like you may have confused rex with a NFL HC that has actually won something? or simply made a wild card game recently after being handed a top 5 D. After yet again shooting his big mouth off. that would be better in 2015. Am I wrong? Plenty of open chairs at ESPM I fully expect ryan to be in one in 2017.

So Scott is the key? Honestly, that sounds like a OD on kool aid. The regular season will help that. With a huge dose of reality.

Sorry for straying off tic but Scott is who again?

How hard is it to communicate with a bloviating coach that has not sniffed the playoffs in what 6'years running? And won nothing as a HC in his career. Who interviewed this clown? IMO Whaley gets a pass here. The Brandon stink is all over the hire IMO.

it sounds like you may have confused rex with a NFL HC that has actually won something? or simply made a wild card game recently after being handed a top 5 D. After yet again shooting his big mouth off. that would be better in 2015. Am I wrong? Plenty of open chairs at ESPM I fully expect ryan to be in one in 2017.

So Scott is the key? Honestly, that sounds like a OD on kool aid. The regular season will help that. With a huge dose of reality.

Five years.

How is that the math mistakes around here always accentuate the narrative?

I think this is good news from a guy who's been there done that willing to mentor.

I feel like the stars are aligning for significant improvement this year.

thats my line.

watch it Buster :flirt:

comparing his football acumen to his political affinities is a bit odd.

May, 2016.

Still no consensus on the reality of the 2015 season.

Outlook: not so god.

we stil debate flutie/johnson. common man!

he said some really cool line "can't wait"... other than he made a pro bowl once.

scott berated media reporters, flipped off live camera's, attempted media boycotts that failed miserably, and was basically a louder mouth version of rex ryan.

Edited by Boyst62

May, 2016.

Still no consensus on the reality of the 2015 season.

Outlook: not so god.

something Freudian going here?

Perhaps a bit of C Jung ?

TBC, if we had consensus we would have little to discuss and this would turn into a prayer meeting : )

Maybe we each take away what we want from 2015 ?

Sure thats fair, but maybe we could inspire some more hope into these poor tarnished souls.

GO BILLS !

we stil debate flutie/johnson. common man!

he said some really cool line "can't wait"... other than he made a pro bowl once.

scott berated media reporters, flipped off live camera's, attempted media boycotts that failed miserably, and was basically a louder mouth version of rex ryan.

Hey Man ! That was then.

Dude .

Bart has changed . really worked at it. Learned from his mistakes..

no not really.

but its not some official thing right?

I would guess Reggie would rather he go away. Rob is the LBs coach kinda anyway

Edited by 3rdand12

Five years.

How is that the math mistakes around here always accentuate the narrative?

oops! Only 5 years. My bad. That's a huge difference.

What Has he won in the NFL again? Aside from a ring

With the Ravens, when he was not a HC? This will be an interesting season, and hopefully

The last for Ryan? new owner mistake, takng bad advice will soften the blow, of yet another rebuild.

And what 17 years with no playoffs? Please correct me If i,am off by a year or so. I don't want to accentuate the reality of this.

I hope I am wrong. I will be in our seats as usual watching this game day genius work his magic.

i quit the kool aid the day he was hired. Any top coach will and usually has eaten him for lunch. Big task I know.

one thing that is weighing on me in this now that it's been more than enough time.

why is it that bart scott and other former players cling to rex ryan? john connor, others last year and now others this year.

bart scott trying to stay relevant? make easy dough? is rex ryan a mark? i don't get it.

one thing that is weighing on me in this now that it's been more than enough time.

why is it that bart scott and other former players cling to rex ryan? john connor, others last year and now others this year.

bart scott trying to stay relevant? make easy dough? is rex ryan a mark? i don't get it.

How long was Bart Scott doing the TV gig?

maybe Kelly & Bart is in the cards? Now that Strahan is leaving.

I mean really how long was Scott on the TV doing analyst stuff? I have no idea

no ideda if he was on tv. but he would give reporters in nj a hard time.

OH I thought he was an analyst or commentator

Good article about Bart Scott talking about Rex's D and Ragland

Bart Scott on 'confrontation,' winning with defense, his convo with Bills LB Reggie Ragland, individual sacrifice under Rex

Lot of good stuff in there. Some interesting insights into the defense and how some (Mario) didn't fit in, and how the absence of strong leadership impacted things.

Been saying it since day 1. This defense needs a Ray Lewis, a Bart Scott. Who is that guy for us? Hopefully it can be Ragland. It certainly wasnt Preston Brown at 22 yrs old trying to tell 30 yr old superstar Mario Williams what to do. And getting Kyle back should help the D line gel. He brings the leadership we sorely lacked. Everyone needs to buy in for this to work

Been saying it since day 1. This defense needs a Ray Lewis, a Bart Scott. Who is that guy for us? Hopefully it can be Ragland. It certainly wasnt Preston Brown at 22 yrs old trying to tell 30 yr old superstar Mario Williams what to do. And getting Kyle back should help the D line gel. He brings the leadership we sorely lacked. Everyone needs to buy in for this to work

The foot ball field is one place where age quickly fades when it comes to respect. If a guy can play he will get respect. For a linebacker it means being decisive and knowing your job. Then executing that job. By all accounts Brown was hesitant and thus 'lost' some of the vets trying to call the plays. The coaches did not give him a lot of support by not getting calls in quickly. Lots of areas for improvements. Hopefully Ragland is a natural leader.

Yeah, but Peyton Manning is mentoring Ryan Tanneyhill so the Bills could be in trouble next season. Maybe they can get Bruce Smith to mentor Adolphus Washington so the Bills can turn up the pass rush.

Yeah, but Peyton Manning is mentoring Ryan Tanneyhill so the Bills could be in trouble next season. Maybe they can get Bruce Smith to mentor Adolphus Washington so the Bills can turn up the pass rush.

maybe he already is ?

I liked the article, seemed pretty up front.

Leadership in a team environment cannot be overstated.

And its starts with Coaching.

If I were to fault Ryan, he really handled that poorly.

On the positive side , he knows it and is working to repair it. As i expected he would. Will he succeed ? I cannot answer that with conviction, but i got a feeling he will !

Lot of good stuff in there. Some interesting insights into the defense and how some (Mario) didn't fit in, and how the absence of strong leadership impacted things.

Mario's "leadership" certainly impacted things. And that is what we saw on the field. I can imagine what kind of influence he was during the week when tape was broken down and game plans were being installed.

GO BILLS!!!