RD 2, Pick 41: LB Reggie Ragland, University of Alabama

Beerball

Whaley: Ragland a born leader

The Bills do their best to make the most of their pre-draft visits. Often times they’ll host players in small groups on purpose. It’s designed to get a gauge on a player’s personality makeup. Bills second-round pick Reggie Ragland was on such a visit in Buffalo and by all accounts stood out.

Buffalo had Ragland for both an NFL combine interview and a pre-draft visit, and on the pre-draft visit there were other prospects in town as well.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Bama defense and saw pretty much every game in which Ragland has played. I do however think that Rex has a ton of nerve to compare the mess he put on the field last season to the Bama defense. If Bama's defense was that bad, Kirby Smart would have been fired long before the season was over.

That said, enjoy watching Ragland! I am telling you that the kid is always around the football. You are going to appreciate this football player.

I'm with Bill on this. Ragland is a special player, who had the benefit of great coaching and being surrounded by other solid players. I'm not sure that any of this applies under sexy rexy, but I can promise you that Ragland will work harder than anyone else, and any lack of results will not be for a lack of effort.

Why Bills 2nd rd. pick believes he’s a 3 down LB

Bills second-round pick Reggie Ragland has heard and read the criticism. He knows there were draftniks and probably some NFL clubs that did not see him as a three down linebacker. Ragland is ready to prove them all wrong.

In an appearance on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550 this week, Ragland reiterated that he is wholly confident that he’s capable of being a three-down linebacker in the NFL.

If you have not listened to the WGR interview of the Alabama play-by-play guy re Reggie this morning, you may want to check it out.

Don't have the time...give us a hint, will we like it or not?

If you have not listened to the WGR interview of the Alabama play-by-play guy re Reggie this morning, you may want to check it out.

Was it on Howard Simon? Which hour? Thanks!

Was it on Howard Simon? Which hour? Thanks!

Found it. For those interested it's Hour 4 of the Howard Simon show May 4th starting about 21:15 into the hour.

Don't have the time...give us a hint, will we like it or not?

Yes.

Quick Summary:

Great player who was a three down LB in college and was able to handle Saban's complex defense and is a great kid.

Link:

http://media.wgr550.com/a/115026075/5-4-howard-simon-show-hr-4.htm?&seek=1350.089

As Last Guy states above, the interview begins around the 21:15 mark.

Edited by Peter

Hopefully "Reggie is just a 2-down LB" becomes the new "Cordy Glenn is just a Guard"

I don't really care if he is a 2 down LB as long as he fits it up (to borrow a wanny phrase) I could not care less. If he is a 3 down backer so much the better.

Kiper: Early-impact rookies, Rounds 2-3
Which second- and third-rounders could produce immediately? Giants WR Sterling Shepard and Jaguars LB Myles Jack make Mel Kiper's list.

Reggie Ragland, LB: A first-round talent who fell because of coverage/range questions, Ragland is more of a classic thumper in the middle of the field. He reads and tackles as well as any linebacker in the draft class. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he finishes 2016 as the Bills' leading tackler.

ESPN: 10 NFL rookies who landed in perfect homes
Jalen Ramsey and Ezekiel Elliott hit the jackpot by landing in systems perfectly suited to maximize their talent. Which other rookies found great scheme fits? Matt Bowen explores.

Reggie Ragland, LB, Buffalo Bills

In Rex Ryan's 3-4 front, Ragland is the big boy at the second-level, that linebacker with downhill power to eat up the run game: Stack and shed, fill the hole and put the running back on the ground. This guy is a tackling machine. But don't peg Ragland as just a base defender who has to come off the field on third downs. He has enough juice in his legs to drop in zone coverage, close on the ball and be used as a matchup weapon in the blitz packages. Ragland versus a running back in protection? I'm taking the linebacker in that one -- and broken chinstraps. This is an immediate upgrade for Ryan's defense, an ideal fit for the 3-4 scheme and an absolute steal for the Bills in the second-round. It was a smart move to trade up with Ragland still on the board.

LB Ragland eager to dive in with the Ryans

Bills second-round pick Reggie Ragland played in a defensive scheme at Alabama, that GM Doug Whaley claims will have a lot of carry over to Rex Ryan’s scheme in Buffalo. That will hopefully translate into a shorter learning curve for the physical linebacker. Either way Ragland is altogether anxious to get to work on the scheme with both head coach Rex Ryan and Assistant head coach Defense Rob Ryan.

To me the big thing with Ragland is the trainers need to make sure he is playing at the correct weight. I thought he was just too heavy in that championship game and it showed.

I heard he played slow as molasses from a bunch of people. Wonder if there was something more to it?

@RobRang

The Buffalo Bills are expecting big things from its rookie class, with the pro-ready Reggie Ragland leading the way: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/finding-the-fits-reggie-ragland-primed-to-star-in-rex-ryans-defense

I like Whaley's enthusiasm about the draft and it's only natural that he would tout how good it was, but I think he was out of line proclaiming anyone would start right away. Whether that holds true or not remains to be seen, but it is simply not in his purview to say who starts or not. That is for the coaching staff to determine.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

If he's only a 2 down LB which 2 downs does he play? 1st and 2nd.....2nd and 3rd.....1st and 3rd....would he possibly play on 4th down if necessary?

I think it's two downs the whole game, strategically selected by coach during the game.

Hot damn! Good news. Were the media allowed to cover it?

ya know, teams that are successful year after year still have stricter media rules than ours. The Pats*, Packers, Seattle.

The Buffalo media is just highlighting how bad they actually are. Is weather or not a guy looks good in pajamas two weeks after they started practicing football that important?

Edited by JaxBills

ya know, teams that are successful year after year still have stricter media rules than ours. The Pats*, Packers, Seattle.

The Buffalo media is just highlighting how bad they actually are. Is weather or not a guy looks good in pajamas two weeks after they started practicing football that important?

you build a program from the fundamentals up.

Football is football. tackle the guy in front of you. Ragland can do that rather nicely

@PFF

20 offseason additions that will make an immediate impact for their new teams, including @reggieragland in Buffalo: https://t.co/iHgmFXpyBB

5. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Bills

How he got here: 2016 NFL draft (Round 2, pick No. 41 overall, Alabama)

Last season, the Bills’ defense was not of the standard Rex Ryan expects, particularly in the front seven. Starting middle linebacker Preston Brown ranked 90th out of 97 qualifying linebackers in overall grade a year ago. He was third from bottom in run defense alone, recording a 23.7 grade (on PFF’s 1–100 scale). Ragland will have to prove himself capable of handling his coverage responsibilities in the NFL, but he’ll be a dramatic upgrade from day one against the run. Ragland’s instincts and burst to close sideline to sideline stand out. He should make an instant impact for Buffalo.

• 1 month later...