RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

What's interesting about it ?

If you're not interested to see how Lee, who is healthy and could have been the Bills' pick, plays for our division rival, then you have an incurious mind. I'm also interested to see how Dodd, the other Clemson edge rusher, does. To my untrained eye, he looked every bit as good on the field as Shaq did this past season.

If you're not interested to see how Lee, who is healthy and could have been the Bills' pick, plays for our division rival, then you have an incurious mind. I'm also interested to see how Dodd, the other Clemson edge rusher, does. To my untrained eye, he looked every bit as good on the field as Shaq did this past season.

Dodd has a higher ceiling......bigger guy and his skillset is a bit more natural as a pass rusher. His floor may be lower than Shaq because he hasn't proved himself over quite as much time.........but to me the early rounds are about getting those high ceiling players that can change the fortunes of your franchise. Guys you will pay the excessive 5th year option to without a second thought if they pan out. IMO there were players with comparable ability to Shaq and Ragnuts that went cheap and mostly unnoticed on the FA market........which says everything about their value. If you use your early picks on guys you can ink for $4-$6M per year in free agency you end up paying $15-$20M per for flawed but talented players like Mario Williams and have to do so with the understanding that you will likely end up overpaying in the tens of millions for that talent and eating a ton of dead money at some point. That's just bad business. I don't hold early picks to be sacred but they should be used to build a foundation of great talent......not to patch holes.

Dodd has a higher ceiling......bigger guy and his skillset is a bit more natural as a pass rusher. His floor may be lower than Shaq because he hasn't proved himself over quite as much time.........but to me the early rounds are about getting those high ceiling players that can change the fortunes of your franchise. Guys you will pay the excessive 5th year option to without a second thought if they pan out. IMO there were players with comparable ability to Shaq and Ragnuts that went cheap and mostly unnoticed on the FA market........which says everything about their value. If you use your early picks on guys you can ink for $4-$6M per year in free agency you end up paying $15-$20M per for flawed but talented players like Mario Williams and have to do so with the understanding that you will likely end up overpaying in the tens of millions for that talent and eating a ton of dead money at some point. That's just bad business. I don't hold early picks to be sacred but they should be used to build a foundation of great talent......not to patch holes.

While no slouch physically, it's Shaq's intangibles that will make him great. I think Ragland is cut from the same mold in that regard. Leaders for years to come, the anti-Mario's.

I missed the link where Lee was gonna be a Bill.

While no slouch physically, it's Shaq's intangibles that will make him great. I think Ragland is cut from the same mold in that regard. Leaders for years to come, the anti-Mario's.

Yep, this D desperately needs leaders IMO. Corey Graham is the only player there who has been a winner in this league. In that respect, those picks make a lot of sense to me.

Yep, this D desperately needs leaders IMO. Corey Graham is the only player there who has been a winner in this league. In that respect, those picks make a lot of sense to me.

Rico....I have never really had a hard time with any of your posts....you dont appear to have an agenda and just call it like you see it even if I dont always agree

I agree with this....in my opinion the bills were looking for a certain type of player with those early picks

Shaq.....this was a guy that had the shoulder AND a lower body issue in the championship game.....still played and was disruptive. When I looked at him and Dodd it always seemed to me that Lawson was drawing the tougher assignment and was flushing QBs TO Dodd......this is not to say that Dodd wont go on to be a succesfull NFL player.....but in college the stud of that line appeared to be Lawson.

Ragland.....I actually really like Ragland and think he has the makeup to be a team leader

Washington....I thought the piece about how the bills got all those players from his team together and look to see who the players were gravitating to was interesting.....its not a be all tell all......but it might point to what the bills were looking for in a player

Rico....I have never really had a hard time with any of your posts....you dont appear to have an agenda and just call it like you see it even if I dont always agree

I agree with this....in my opinion the bills were looking for a certain type of player with those early picks

Shaq.....this was a guy that had the shoulder AND a lower body issue in the championship game.....still played and was disruptive. When I looked at him and Dodd it always seemed to me that Lawson was drawing the tougher assignment and was flushing QBs TO Dodd......this is not to say that Dodd wont go on to be a succesfull NFL player.....but in college the stud of that line appeared to be Lawson.

Ragland.....I actually really like Ragland and think he has the makeup to be a team leader

Washington....I thought the piece about how the bills got all those players from his team together and look to see who the players were gravitating to was interesting.....its not a be all tell all......but it might point to what the bills were looking for in a player

Well thanks JfH. All goofing aside, there is no doubt that you are a GREAT Bills fan.

I definitely do/did have an agenda over Drew and Ralph, but I'm just a little nicer in the off-season.

I agree with your take on Shaq. I would like to also add that he appeared to have more responsibilities than Dodd. He was asked to make run/pass reads, cover, set the edge (pass and run), and rush the passer. Dodd seemed to just set the edge and rush the passer (I saw him get burned on coverage badly when he did drop).

I agree with your take on Shaq. I would like to also add that he appeared to have more responsibilities than Dodd. He was asked to make run/pass reads, cover, set the edge (pass and run), and rush the passer. Dodd seemed to just set the edge and rush the passer (I saw him get burned on coverage badly when he did drop).

I just dont want to see Shaq rushed back......which is why I thought Freeney would be an excellent pickup.

This is a critical draft for Whaley in my opinion.......if he pulls two immediate starters and pulls another 2 guys that can contibute by the end of the season.....this is a slam dunk for him.

I dont want to see pressure of Shaq being a first round pick bring him back a month earlier then he should have been and then something set him back......

I just dont want to see Shaq rushed back......which is why I thought Freeney would be an excellent pickup.

This is a critical draft for Whaley in my opinion.......if he pulls two immediate starters and pulls another 2 guys that can contibute by the end of the season.....this is a slam dunk for him.

I dont want to see pressure of Shaq being a first round pick bring him back a month earlier then he should have been and then something set him back......

Agreed. I don't want him back too early, but I take solace in the fact that the surgery seems to be pretty straight forward and was "successful." Additionally, overhead movements are not critical for his position.

Now if he has to have spleen out I'll worry.

Whaley can have 100 perfect drafts in a row. Until there is a new head coach the defense is going to suck.

Whaley can have 100 perfect drafts in a row. Until there is a new head coach the defense is going to suck.

Like the elite Ravens and Jets defenses huh ?

Broken record strikes again, say it 42,000 more times please

He's never had any success coaching defenses before :)

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I wonder if Sully and some here would feel better if Ragland had been our first round pick and Shaq our second round pick.

Regardless, I am very happy with both our first and second round picks (as well as most of the others).

Im sorry but that does not compute

Go back and take a look at Rex Ryan's defenses......several in the top 10. If you have a GM giving you the groceries you need and you know how to coach like that we are going to get the D figured out.

The concern when RR came in was his micromanaging of the OFFENSE......and he did not seem to make that same mistake this time around with Greg Roman.