RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

His bust at Canton will say "Too bad he missed a few games his rookie season."

Yeah, I don't know what kind of player he'll be, but a little delay before we see our shiny new toy isn't going to make me think he was the wrong choice. Players get hurt. Players get better. I hope he's a stud and we've forgotten all about this down the road. No need to be short sighted on this.

He won't be seeing the field for months but Shaq Lawson is now under contract for the Buffalo Bills. The outside linebacker/end who recently underwent shoulder surgery inked his rookie deal with the team Monday, leaving fourth-rounder Cardale Jones as the only unsigned draft pick.

Lawson, the 19th overall selection, was drafted to add more bite to Buffalo's pass rush. He may do exactly that, too. But after suffering the team termed "an occurrence" in rookie minicamp, he needed surgery. A year ago, Lawson was one of the most dominant defensive players in college football with 12.5 sacks, 25.5 tackles for loss and at least two QB pressures in five different games.

Thus, head coach Rex Ryan planned on starting Lawson immediately in his 3-4 defense opposite Jerry Hughes.

The 6-foot-3, 270-pounder will be now confined to the meeting rooms until possibly the mid-season. Ryan repeated during OTA's that this surgery will get Lawson to "100 percent."

ADVERTISEMENT

"Look, could he have played the five weeks? He absolutely could have played," Ryan said. "When we got him in here, could he have been effective, he was pretty effective playing. But we want him at 100 percent. I think that was why we did what we did. ... When we had this thing, you know what let’s get it done right, where this guy is at 100 percent.

"We feel great about our draft, but again this isn’t a devastating thing. I think if we see the big picture this is not a devastating injury at all. We just think it is what it is. He is not going to be available for how many games, we can’t even tell you that...

anybody spinning this into something good is either a bills employee or totally delusional.

Edited by birdog1960

[quote name="birdog1960" post="3962745" timestamp="1465266293.

anybody spinning this into something good is either a bills employee or totally delusional.

No one is saying it's "good", but IF he's a stud it's worth the wait. Why is that so hard for people? Thurman had a questionable knee. I'd say he worked out OK. Let's wait and see what kind of player he is. Anything less is silly.

It's not good. But there's nothing that can be done now except to hope he heals and returns fast, and makes a significant contribution, if not this year, then next year and beyond.

It's not good. But there's nothing that can be done now except to hope he heals and returns fast, and makes a significant contribution, if not this year, then next year and beyond.

wow, a concession from one of the 2 mentioned groups. can we now say "bad" if he doesn't make a significant contribution this year?

wow, a concession from one of the 2 mentioned groups. can we now say "bad" if he doesn't make a significant contribution this year?

No, we can say bad if he doesn't warrant his draft position. Remind me what Aaron Rodgers did as a rookie?

Shaq was drafted because they think that he is a complete edge guy. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't but missing the first 6 weeks isn't going to define his career.

Oh the irony with the "totally delusional" thing. I won't mention why, here.

As for Lawson, how about we wait a little bit before we pass judgment? I've never found that premature handwringing gets you anywhere.

If he misses the entire season, but ends up being a pro bowl player for us for the next 10 years after, is he still a bust?

Yes, it sucks that he'll miss some time for us this year, but a player's career and worth is more than a few games in their rookie season.

He won't be seeing the field for months but Shaq Lawson is now under contract for the Buffalo Bills. The outside linebacker/end who recently underwent shoulder surgery inked his rookie deal with the team Monday, leaving fourth-rounder Cardale Jones as the only unsigned draft pick.

Lawson, the 19th overall selection, was drafted to add more bite to Buffalo's pass rush. He may do exactly that, too. But after suffering the team termed "an occurrence" in rookie minicamp, he needed surgery. A year ago, Lawson was one of the most dominant defensive players in college football with 12.5 sacks, 25.5 tackles for loss and at least two QB pressures in five different games.

Thus, head coach Rex Ryan planned on starting Lawson immediately in his 3-4 defense opposite Jerry Hughes.

The 6-foot-3, 270-pounder will be now confined to the meeting rooms until possibly the mid-season. Ryan repeated during OTA's that this surgery will get Lawson to "100 percent."

ADVERTISEMENT

"Look, could he have played the five weeks? He absolutely could have played," Ryan said. "When we got him in here, could he have been effective, he was pretty effective playing. But we want him at 100 percent. I think that was why we did what we did. ... When we had this thing, you know what let’s get it done right, where this guy is at 100 percent.

"We feel great about our draft, but again this isn’t a devastating thing. I think if we see the big picture this is not a devastating injury at all. We just think it is what it is. He is not going to be available for how many games, we can’t even tell you that...

Spinning what into something good? Surgery? File that one under "no ****, Sherlock"

ADVERTISEMENT

Arguing with yourself ? It's official birddog is the new duckdog.

Get it together man.

I would be more concerned with getting a healthy Henderson back

Don't rush Sammy back to soon either if it is like the Dez Bryant injury.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dallas-cowboys-dez-bryant-admits-he-came-back-too-soon-from-injury-012616

I think the team needs 1 more good draft to win in the playoffs anyway JMO

Edited by ALF

I would be more concerned with getting a healthy Henderson back

Don't rush Sammy back to soon either if it is like the Dez Bryant injury.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dallas-cowboys-dez-bryant-admits-he-came-back-too-soon-from-injury-012616

I think the team needs 1 more good draft to win in the playoffs anyway JMO

How could you possibly need two more drafts after being 9-7 in a league filled with parity?

Switching to a 3-4 D maybe

Well obviously when you have a top 5 defense in the entire league, you should switch schemes and rebuild. Dear Lord, this gets so tiring. No one spins their wheels like the Buffalo Bills.

But the good news is if Rex gets fired, we can have 3 more drafts to rebuild a 4-3 defense.