RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

exactly. but the bills propaganda team here gets there panties in a wad when you call them out on it.

I used to be the biggest homer ever but this offseason has gotten silly. Mario, who was beloved here after 2014, is suddenly the worst player in team history. So we spend a very valuable 1st round pick to replace a 2nd team all pro DE, and he has surgery. I hope Lawson has a full recovery and turns out to be a stud. But man, it looks really bad right now.

"I dominated in college with the shoulder hurt. Coming back 100% will be the best thing that happened to me."

I hope so. But a huge leap from the ACC to the NFL. I worry about him missing his first camp because there's so much technique he will be missing out on. Much harder to get the practice time to make that up once the season starts.

I used to be the biggest homer ever but this offseason has gotten silly. Mario, who was beloved here after 2014, is suddenly the worst player in team history. So we spend a very valuable 1st round pick to replace a 2nd team all pro DE, and he has surgery. I hope Lawson has a full recovery and turns out to be a stud. But man, it looks really bad right now.

careful. you may well be childishly vilified here. but somehow i'm betting that doesn't overly concern you.

it indeed looks really bad to anyone without blinders on.

careful. you may well be childishly vilified here.

When someone compares a spleen surgery to a labrum surgery as if they're the same, they deserve the ribbing they get.

When the person who makes the comparison is a doctor IRL, ribbing should be the least of their worries.

careful. you may well be childishly vilified here. but somehow i'm betting that doesn't overly concern you.

it indeed looks really bad to anyone without blinders on.

It only looks bad if you decide to paint it that way.

The simple fact is that Mario's effort in 2015 was lacking, to say the least. I have not seen one person, including you, deny that.

Should they have paid him $19.9M for the upcoming season based upon that?

Should they further have chosen not to add a player that they think can be a stud simply because he could miss 5-6 games as a rookie?

Please, since you claim it looks so bad, tell me (a) why they should have paid $19.9M to a guy that clearly didn't try very hard last year, and (b) why they should've passed on a player that they feel will be a cornerstone of their defense for the next several years simply because he could miss 5-6 games of his rookie season?

The simple fact is that Mario's effort in 2015 was lacking, to say the least. I have not seen one person, including you, deny that.

Should they further have chosen not to add a player that they think can be a stud simply because he could miss 5-6 games as a rookie?

Please, since you claim it looks so bad, tell me (a) why they should have paid $19.9M to a guy that clearly didn't try very hard last year, and (b) why they should've passed on a player that they feel will be a cornerstone of their defense for the next several years simply because he could miss 5-6 games of his rookie season?

A little add onto this

I know that people dont like to talk about it because it is so much easier to bash on RR (and he does deserve some of that)

but

The bills were coming to a decision with Mario Williams DESPITE the fact that he was half butting it all year and not buying into RR system.

His cap hit because we had several younger players that needed signing (including a nice find at qb), coupled with the fact that Mario is not getting any younger.....ADDED to the fact that Mario looked like he wanted out therefore was probably giving the bills nothing in the home discount department

Those are all factors as well.

Be careful Bandit, you are dangerously close to being labeled a "homer", who has his "blinders on", while "drinking the Kool-Aid" thus preventing any rational thought on the subject at hand. There is, after all, only one reasonable opinion to have.

A little add onto this

I know that people dont like to talk about it because it is so much easier to bash on RR (and he does deserve some of that)

but

The bills were coming to a decision with Mario Williams DESPITE the fact that he was half butting it all year and not buying into RR system.

His cap hit because we had several younger players that needed signing (including a nice find at qb), coupled with the fact that Mario is not getting any younger.....ADDED to the fact that Mario looked like he wanted out therefore was probably giving the bills nothing in the home discount department

Those are all factors as well.

Mario was very likely a goner as soon as they signed Dareus and Hughes to those big deals. The Bills knew where they would be on the cap and had planned to move on already I believe. He made it an easier decision.

Give EJ Manuel a chance. Rail on Tyrod Taylor. (Maybe I am wrong on this, but I distinctly remember reading some vicious back and forth about Manuel vs Taylor during the competition)

We shouldn't cut Mario Williams even though he half assed it last year. This Shaq Lawson guy is injured, and will be out 5-6 games.

To sum it up, I'd say you are a Bills player homer. I have no doubt that if Lawson turns out to be decent you will be the first person to lobby for re-signing him.

Be careful Bandit, you are dangerously close to being labeled a "homer", who has his "blinders on", while "drinking the Kool-Aid" thus preventing any rational thought on the subject at hand. There is, after all, only one reasonable opinion to have.

Good grief I hate that stuff.

There's no question that Rex didn't get the job done in 2015, and nobody is debating that. There are multiple reasons for it, and his own performance is one of them (some players not buying in is another; other players simply taking too long to digest Rex's complicated playbook is another).

I'm absolutely fine with criticizing what deserves to be criticized. Where my grits get overcooked is when I see people failing to recognize (or worse yet--ignoring) what's obvious in order to suit an agenda.

He won't be seeing the field for months but Shaq Lawson is now under contract for the Buffalo Bills. The outside linebacker/end who recently underwent shoulder surgery inked his rookie deal with the team Monday, leaving fourth-rounder Cardale Jones as the only unsigned draft pick.

Lawson, the 19th overall selection, was drafted to add more bite to Buffalo's pass rush. He may do exactly that, too. But after suffering the team termed "an occurrence" in rookie minicamp, he needed surgery. A year ago, Lawson was one of the most dominant defensive players in college football with 12.5 sacks, 25.5 tackles for loss and at least two QB pressures in five different games.

Thus, head coach Rex Ryan planned on starting Lawson immediately in his 3-4 defense opposite Jerry Hughes.

The 6-foot-3, 270-pounder will be now confined to the meeting rooms until possibly the mid-season. Ryan repeated during OTA's that this surgery will get Lawson to "100 percent."

ADVERTISEMENT

"Look, could he have played the five weeks? He absolutely could have played," Ryan said. "When we got him in here, could he have been effective, he was pretty effective playing. But we want him at 100 percent. I think that was why we did what we did. ... When we had this thing, you know what let’s get it done right, where this guy is at 100 percent.

"We feel great about our draft, but again this isn’t a devastating thing. I think if we see the big picture this is not a devastating injury at all. We just think it is what it is. He is not going to be available for how many games, we can’t even tell you that...

anybody spinning this into something good is either a bills employee or totally delusional.

Do you know the difference between spinning this into something good vs. not spinning it as the end of the world?

Nothing more than a tough break for the kid and the Bills.

But with you, EVERY PHUCKING THING has to be an indictment against the entire organization.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The bills might STILL be the smartest person in the room.....

If this is why he dropped out of being a top 10 pick (which is where he was slotted to go) and he has the surgery and moves on with his career to have a productive one....then the initial time he misses this year WILL NOT MATTER.

#Spinningasnottheendoftheworld

The point was that there's been far more than spinning this as "not the end of the world," as K-9 claims.

Im not gonna argue that.....

Its unfortunate

Its a setback for the team and for the player

BUT CONSIDER

- There are those that are spinning it as pretty much the end of the world.....you cant argue that

- What if what Shaq said is true and he really has been playing at 70 percent his college career........does that mean we are getting the next great edge rusher?

and last but not least.....I think people need to remember that a. The bills were considering Ragland with that 19th pick (and got him anyway) and with what was left on the board......it still might end up being a great pick?