RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Waiting for Schefter to post the medical records to provide clarity. :rolleyes:

I just did a long web search. Can't find anything as to the nature of the surgery or what type of injury. The only clue I got was that the shoulder would have an increasing risk of "popping out" over time, which indicates either a dislocated shoulder or separated shoulder. Based on what I've read so far, the more that the shoulder "pops out", the more risk of permanent weakness. So I would guess that there is a procedure to correct that.

I doubt that we'll find out the exact procedure used unless Shaq or the Bills decide to disclose it. Schefter might know but won't disclose it to respect Shaq's privacy.

I just did a long web search. Can't find anything as to the nature of the surgery or what type of injury. The only clue I got was that the shoulder would have an increasing risk of "popping out" over time, which indicates either a dislocated shoulder or separated shoulder. Based on what I've read so far, the more that the shoulder "pops out", the more risk of permanent weakness. So I would guess that there is a procedure to correct that.

I doubt that we'll find out the exact procedure used unless Shaq or the Bills decide to disclose it. Schefter might know but won't disclose it to respect Shaq's privacy.

this is pretty much exactly what I've seen. The condition puts him more at risk of tearing his labrum. He could play with this condition while wearing a brace as he did in college, with no issues and at a high level. The intent was to have it operated on after the season so he didn't need the brace going forward. However, he wasn't wearing the brace during no contact OTAs and aggravated it during a swim move, which led the team to decide to have it taken care of now. I am sure they didn't want the risk of him tearing it closer to or during the season. This is the right decision IMO. The only thing i haven't seen is what exactly the "aggravation" or "occurrence" actually was that led to the decision. Did he tear the labrum at all? Or did it just pop out again and scare them into just pulling the trigger on the surgery now? He seemed fine at that rookie tour of the city that took place after the "occurrence." I believe it was publically announced as surgery on his labrum. Edited by YoloinOhio

He will be working on the side in training camp. Cleared to practice by the last week in August and on the field the first week in October..this is not that big of a deal if there is not a setback...The great news is an upper body injury still allows the player to maintain decent cardio shape..

Rushing the QB doesn't have the same learning curve as reading defenses as a QB. He'll probably be a situational rusher at first and work his way up from there.

Who knows? This might be the opening Eric Striker can exploit.

Rushing the QB doesn't have the same learning curve as reading defenses as a QB. He'll probably be a situational rusher at first and work his way up from there.

This is rational logical and positive thinking and I applaud it.

I was considering the very same !!!

i think there is some likelihood that Striker can have the same amount of impact this year as a Darron Lee or Sua Cravens have with their respective teams, if used to his strengths.

i think there is some likelihood that Striker can have the same amount of impact this year as a Darron Lee or Sua Cravens have with their respective teams, if used to his strengths.

I really want to believe that as the kid just looks like a "football" player. And who can't root for him? We all joked about the "sand in the pants" term in his scouting report, but it has merit. The odds are against him and I'll be surprised if he makes the cut. I hope he can carve an initial niche on special teams, but every undrafted free agent is trying to do the same thing.

GO BILLS!!!

I really want to believe that as the kid just looks like a "football" player. And who can't root for him? We all joked about the "sand in the pants" term in his scouting report, but it has merit. The odds are against him and I'll be surprised if he makes the cut. I hope he can carve an initial niche on special teams, but every undrafted free agent is trying to do the same thing.

GO BILLS!!!

i base that statement purely on how he is used. As in, I think he could make some plays to the degree of say a bacarri Rambo ( though in a different position). ST, forced fumbles, blitzes, big hits, etc. Edited by YoloinOhio

Waiting for Schefter to post the medical records to provide clarity. :rolleyes:

Okay, so for those who want to delve into the subject and can't wait for Schefty, I'm posting some links to tutorials from The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.

This first one talks about Dr. Russell Warren. He's the bones that did my total shoulder replacement about ten years ago. He's the team Orthopod for the Jints.

"Valuing Expertise, Communication, and Sports Medicine Education."

Below are links to videos from HSS regarding different procedures that remedy specific shoulder maladies.

SLAP Lesion Repair - of capsule and labral damage in the shoulder joint and prevent instability and dislocation.

Torn Rotator Cuff surgery two views: 1. Fully torn rotator cuff; 2. Partially torn rotator cuff

Bonus read: Here's an article on Labrum Tears.

And for the record, nowhere is a spleen, pancreas or Shah of Iran or any other foreign dignitary mentioned on their site. :ph34r:

Hope you enjoy the information.

Okay, so for those who want to delve into the subject and can't wait for Schefty, I'm posting some links to tutorials from The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.

This first one talks about Dr. Russell Warren. He's the bones that did my total shoulder replacement about ten years ago. He's the team Orthopod for the Jints.

Below are links to videos from HSS regarding different procedures that remedy specific shoulder maladies.

SLAP Lesion Repair - of capsule and labral damage in the shoulder joint and prevent instability and dislocation.

Torn Rotator Cuff surgery two views: 1. Fully torn rotator cuff; 2. Partially torn rotator cuff

And for the record, nowhere is a spleen, pancreas or Shah of Iran or any other foreign dignitary mentioned on their site. :ph34r:

Good stuff all around, but I am disappointed that there are no links for spleen surgical procedures. :) Prior to my first rotator cuff surgery, I received a cortisone shot. Bad decision that only delayed the inevitable.

I've had the SLAP Lesion repair on both shoulders - the right shoulder about 20 years ago and the left shoulder about 12 years ago. Both had significant tears in the labrum and both were done old school with the large incision. The Doctors go in repair the labrum and in my case slice the capsule wrap it tighter and put three anchors into the capsule to hold it in place until it heals. Long recovery with both, but I bet with the much smaller incisions recovery should be quicker. I was never suppose to do any activities involving heavy weight but for the last 12+ years I have been training with two people who compete in fitness competitions and have lifting very heavy no problems or pain. In both surgeries with me the Doctor took just a little of my overhead mobility and external rotation away to prevent it from happening again. In most cases this happens to people who have a too much mobility - especially overhead and external rotation after that all you need is some blunt force trauma at the wrong angle.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Wait, Shaq Lawson 6'4" 260 lb defensive end, how does that leave an opening for a 6'0" (when he stretches) 218 lb linebacker?

This is rational logical and positive thinking and I applaud it.

I was considering the very same !!!

It's "rational logical and positive" to suggest a 6'4" 260 lb 1st round defensive end on PUP leaves an opening an undrafted LB considered "undersized" (but fast) can fill in some way?

I doan get it. And I really like Striker and hope he makes the team, as a ST or a hybrid DB/LB or something. I think he's one of those "can't measure heart" players. But that's if he's properly used, and using him in a DE/OLB role is Not That Thing

Edited by Hopeful

Wait, Shaq Lawson 6'4" 260 lb defensive end, how does that leave an opening for a 6'0" (when he stretches) 218 lb linebacker?

It's "rational logical and positive" to suggest a 6'4" 260 lb 1st round defensive end on PUP leaves an opening an undrafted LB considered "undersized" (but fast) can fill in some way?

I doan get it. And I really like Striker and hope he makes the team, as a ST or a hybrid DB/LB or something. I think he's one of those "can't measure heart" players. But that's if he's properly used, and using him in a DE/OLB role is Not That Thing

Striker is a pass rusher. I did not expect Shaq to come off the field much with his versatility. Keeping the best 11 on .

If this gets him on the defense for a couple plays a game to get under and around that Tackle , that's all i hope for !

Direct sub as DE /OLB ? heck no. just bring him up to blitz