RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

the season hangs on the QB play/health. Like every other team's season, IMO. All-pro Mario in 2013-14 didn't take the place of that, and neither will a rookie pass rusher stepping into take his place.

My understanding on the preventative nature is because he doesn't need it now, he can play without it and use a brace. His shoulder condition from college makes him more likely than someone without the condition to fully tear his labrum if he plays without a brace. During the predraft process, the medicals showed he could delay surgery until the 2017 offseason. Bills made the decision to do it now, since he tweaked it in drills. I don't know the result of the tweak, it has been "diagnosed" by a WGR caller as a SLAP tear, but I haven't seen anything official other than the Bills saying it was a labrum and that he could continue to play but the goal was to have him 100% for the last 3/4 of the year vs. playing with a brace. Basically, they are doing it because he's at increased risk to damage his shoulder with the current condition. Had he not been doing the drill without the brace the other day and aggravated it, I'd guess they wouldn't have moved forward with the surgery.

I wonder why he wasn't wearing the brace. I'm sure it's been discussed and I missed it.

QB play: part of me says "I understand your viewpoint" and part of me says "but but...Denver!". Any optimism I have for this coming season was based on the premise that we might get approximately the same or slightly better offense, but an improved D would tip the scales and take us to the playoffs. And improvement on D depended upon our draft class contributing. So from that point of view, the season might not hang on Shaq Lawson exactly, but we were expecting his contributions to be part of what raised the level of the D.

Preventive: with all respect, I think that's a misuse of the word, Yolo. If the surgery is treating a known injury condition, it is not, by definition, preventative. A better word choice might be "elective". The surgery may be elective in the sense that he could continue as a football player at some level and with some risk, without surgery now.

That's a really good question on why he wasn't wearing the brace. I've missed any discussion that has occurred on that myself.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/18/some-say-shaq-lawson-shoulder-surgery-was-inevitable/

"“His shoulder was so bad it would have dislocated tying his shoes,” one league source told PFT."

This is the beauty for the media citing the anonymous source. They relieve themselves of responsibility for saying whatever, but have no accountability to back this up.

Thanks. I was wondering if it was a labrum. I tore mine almost 20 years ago (bench press), but waited about 8 years to get it fixed. I can understand why people thought he could get away with waiting for surgery. I was fine except when I made that specific motion. But that exact motion was excruciating. It felt like my shoulder was popping out of place (which, I was later told, was exactly what was happening).

The good news is that Lawson is going to get the best care. I was very lucky in that regard, too. I went to the Cleveland Clinic and got an Ortho who was known for being a go-to guy for MLB pitchers. But he is going to have a long road back. His arm will be immobilized for a couple months. The atrophy in my chest and arm was unreal after that. He's a lot younger and in better shape than I was - which is great - but he's playing in the NFL now. Lawson not only has to heal, he has to get strong enough to make sure he doesn't re-injure himself. The prudent course of action is to err on the side of caution and make sure he gets healthy and back in shape. The Bills need to prepare as if he will not play in 2016 and consider anything he gives the team this season a bonus.

Is it possible that Lawson may have some techniques available to him that might prevent some of the atrophy? I know for lower body injuries, equipment such as gravity-neutral treadmills and pool walking/running makes a difference. But I agree that it makes most sense to prepare as if he won't play and if he does recover to the point where he's felt to be 100% go, Bonus.

At one point I had my thumb immobilized with a pin for 6 weeks and it took about a month just to retrain my muscles to get the full range of motion back and about 6 weeks to rebuild any degree of strength.

QB play: part of me says "I understand your viewpoint" and part of me says "but but...Denver!". Any optimism I have for this coming season was based on the premise that we might get approximately the same or slightly better offense, but an improved D would tip the scales and take us to the playoffs. And improvement on D depended upon our draft class contributing. So from that point of view, the season might not hang on Shaq Lawson exactly, but we were expecting his contributions to be part of what raised the level of the D.

Preventive: with all respect, I think that's a misuse of the word, Yolo. If the surgery is treating a known injury condition, it is not, by definition, preventative. A better word choice might be "elective". The surgery may be elective in the sense that he could continue as a football player at some level and with some risk, without surgery now.

That's a really good question on why he wasn't wearing the brace. I've missed any discussion that has occurred on that myself.

This is the beauty for the media citing the anonymous source. They relieve themselves of responsibility for saying whatever, but have no accountability to back this up.

Is it possible that Lawson may have some techniques available to him that might prevent some of the atrophy? I know for lower body injuries, equipment such as gravity-neutral treadmills and pool walking/running makes a difference. But I agree that it makes most sense to prepare as if he won't play and if he does recover to the point where he's felt to be 100% go, Bonus.

At one point I had my thumb immobilized with a pin for 6 weeks and it took about a month just to retrain my muscles to get the full range of motion back and about 6 weeks to rebuild any degree of strength.

Preventative definitely the wrong term. I think I saw it reported as "pre-emptive" and jumbled the two.

LOL their accountability is the fact that he had surgery the other day. Whoever their sources were...they were correct. But Rex needed someone from Clemson.

No....Im talking about the swipe at RR about needed a clemson player.... :P

Oh, ok. But you are aware about half of our interviews at the combine were with Clemson players right? Because there are more than 2 D1 colleges, that is an above average percentage.

Oh, ok. But you are aware about half of our interviews at the combine were with Clemson players right? Because there are more than 2 D1 colleges, that is an above average percentage.

Clemson is a top school who played in the championship game.....were they NOT supposed to interview those players?

Clemson is a top school who played in the championship game.....were they NOT supposed to interview those players?

Perfectly fine. But the percentage of players that were from Clemson was abnormally high. It was almost like someone had a vested interest.

No question Bills have and are building a strong connection with Clemson. And John i think formerperformer might be correct that the Bills focus on certain programs. I am not sure if he is pro or con on the matter though ?

I consider it smart to get a farm team in line with the Bills. For the long term funnel of draft picks

Alabama too.

Perfectly fine. But the percentage of players that were from Clemson was abnormally high. It was almost like someone had a vested interest.

Your conspiracy theory is right up there with the best of the tinfoil hat brigade.

They talked to about 8 Clemson players, all of which were drafted. They also had a visit with 6 Ohio State players, most (all?) of which went in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

Ohio State lead the draft with 12 picks. Clemson came in 2nd with 9.

So yeah, lots of players from the top schools that run top programs get picked.

No question Bills have and are building a strong connection with Clemson. And John i think formerperformer might be correct that the Bills focus on certain programs. I am not sure if he is pro or con on the matter though ?

I consider it smart to get a farm team in line with the Bills. For the long term funnel of draft picks

Alabama too.

Alabama had 7 picks from this draft.

The top programs have the best players. Those top players get picked in the draft. That's just how it goes. Im glad to see the Bills are no longer getting "tricky" and using 1st rounders on DBs from Troy.

Your conspiracy theory is right up there with the best of the tinfoil hat brigade.

They talked to about 8 Clemson players, all of which were drafted. They also had a visit with 6 Ohio State players, most (all?) of which went in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

The top programs have the best players. Those top players get picked in the draft. That's just how it goes. Im glad to see the Bills are no longer getting "tricky" and using 1st rounders on DBs from Troy.

You'd think from the way they make it sound that the players they interview weren't worthy of being picked at all. Just Rex's favs.

I honestly knew little of Shaq's injury before this week. How come Clemson nor any of his "handlers" didnt advise this kid to have surgery? How could they allow him to keep playing without getting his shoulder fixed? Last year at Clemson he had another tweak which cost him time out of the lineup. Its a strange situation. Im surprised no one told him to get the shoulder fixed. Could have cost this kid his future.

I know surgery wasnt necessary for him to play. He obviously is a tough kid and has a high pain threshold, but he could have had the surgery in the off-season while at Clemson.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Right, but my point is that NFL programs need to befriend College programs. And it behooves colleges to have some good and tight connections to the NFL program and teams.

Whether it be Clemson, Alabama or even Ohio : )

You'd think from the way they make it sound that the players they interview weren't worthy of being picked at all. Just Rex's favs.

Rex has a very real connection to Clemson and it is not just his son.

There is nothing wrong with that.

This whole thing is silly.

The guy has played with this injury. He is a top rated player - whether he went to Clemson, Alabama, or Erie County Community College.

Most people had Shaq going before our pick and in some instances well before our pick.

Picking him had everything to do with Shaq being a very, very good football player rather than Rex's supposed need to scratch his Clemson itch.

For some people here or in the Buffalo media to suggest this is just silly. Didn't we draft CJ and Sammy (Jerry Butler or Perry Tuttle for that matter) before the Bills ever hired Rex or did Rex influence those picks as well?!?!

Alabama too.

You know what I saw?

The bills are drafting kids from winning college teams.....

And....so what if Rex actually does have an affixiation with a college program that his son goes to that just happens to be a winning team that puts out stud pro players

There is something to be said about knowing the PERSON when your making a big envestment like a 1st round pick......Maybe Shaq Lawson is also one of those guys you want in your locker room when your down by 14 points and trying to hold it all together at halftime.

You know what I saw?

The bills are drafting kids from winning college teams.....

And....so what if Rex actually does have an affixiation with a college program that his son goes to that just happens to be a winning team that puts out stud pro players

There is something to be said about knowing the PERSON when your making a big envestment like a 1st round pick......Maybe Shaq Lawson is also one of those guys you want in your locker room when your down by 14 points and trying to hold it all together at halftime.

Many of the kids are great team players based upon the College program . Character is developed and skills refined.

The better you know the intimate details of the program , the more. or less you want to focus on those players coming up ?