RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Lawson could absolutely refuse to have surgery. And he might have done fine without it, wearing a brace. Hence the reason Whaley praised him for changing his mind.

Or Jaylon Smith, who still has foot drop 4 months after surgery.

yes, but our guys surgery will go better. why? because were the bills? yep. that's it. or was it that young athletes always do well after surgery?

So it appears that Lawson didn't want to have surgery but the team forced it on him after what happened in practice.

Of course he didn't want to have surgery, it would have dropped him to the 2nd round and cost him millions. Kudos to him and his agent, he got paid.

When he hurt it playing against air, there was really no other choice, despite what the front office wants you to believe. "We want to commend Shaq Lawson..." is anybody gullible enough to believe that?

yes, but our guys surgery will go better. why? because were the bills? yep. that's it. or was it that young athletes always do well after surgery?

Because foot drop and nerve damage in a knee is a bigger deal than the shoulder surgery? This was amusing for a while, and it is offseason, but at some point.....

When he hurt it playing against air, there was really no other choice, despite what the front office wants you to believe. "We want to commend Shaq Lawson..." is anybody gullible enough to believe that?

Honestly, the wording was a significant PR gaffe. But the underlying facts (as we know them) don't concern me nearly as much. The commendation was for giving in and getting the shoulder fixed now rather than playing with it as he did for four years in college. Lawson was used to dealing with it and wanted to play. Why can't people understand that?

Because foot drop and nerve damage in a knee is a bigger deal than the shoulder surgery? This was amusing for a while, and it is offseason, but at some point.....

yeah, there are nerves in the upper arm as well. i don't think anyone will be amused if lawson's are injured.

Edited by birdog1960

yeah, there are nerves in the upper arm as well. i don't think anyone will be amused if lawson's are injured.

Oh for phuck sake. You are really trying too hard now. You decry the lack of civility in the discourse and then come up with this deliberate attempt to obfuscate. Good luck with that.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh for phuck sake. You are really trying too hard now. You decry the lack of civility in the discourse and then come up with this deliberate attempt to obfuscate. Good luck with that.

GO BILLS!!!

really? do you think his consent form left out possible nerve injury?

Honestly, the wording was a significant PR gaffe. But the underlying facts (as we know them) don't concern me nearly as much. The commendation was for giving in and getting the shoulder fixed now rather than playing with it as he did for four years in college. Lawson was used to dealing with it and wanted to play. Why can't people understand that?

Because they can't imagine that there are conversations and discussions that take place outside of their earshot. They have trouble filling in the gaps, and then their minds begin to wander. Maybe it's the Bills fault, but they are still acting ridiculously.

Well they'd have to make a point of doing the nerve damage during surgery, since his nerves are fine. I hope his future wife isn't worried about an accidental vasectomy while he's under. Smith already has the friggin nerve damage. THAT is the injury people worry about. One that he HAS, not might get. Not an ACL or MCL. Existing NERVE damage. No one worries about an ACL tear surgery resulting in nerve damage. Could it happen? Maybe, but it's not a real fear for rational people. Do you know anyone with foot drop? Or common sense even? Enough of the silliness for me. It must amuse you that enough people are bored enough to play along this far.

Lawson didn't suffer a nasty injury like Smith did. And there have been no reports of nerve damage. If there is, or any other setbacks occur, we can talk then.

Of course he didn't want to have surgery, it would have dropped him to the 2nd round and cost him millions. Kudos to him and his agent, he got paid.

I meant he could have had surgery anytime between when he entered college to before the 2015 season. And sure there was a choice: he could have played through it like he did in college and had surgery next off-season.

Edited by Doc

a truly interesting character in world history. much to debate involving him. i'll wager we'd be on different sides on most issues. have a go?

Not nearly as interesting as his father and Mohammad Mossaddegh, imo. Reza was a tool set up in a puppet government by us and the British, nothing more. But this probably isn't the place for it.

GO BILLS!!!

Not nearly as interesting as his father and Mohammad Mossaddegh, imo. Reza was a tool set up in a puppet government by us and the British, nothing more. But this probably isn't the place for it.

GO BILLS!!!

that'd be a good place to start. he ruled persia for many years. his actions still haunt us today. perhaps debakey.... to ppp?

You're arguing with a DOCTOR who compared spleen surgery 37 years ago on a 60 year old cancer patient to labrum surgery in 2016 on a healthy professional athlete as if they were the same -- clearly Bird has no understanding of human anatomy.

Which is TERRIFYING considering his profession.

For the record, I've had five shoulder surgeries - three on the left and two on the right. The last one ten years ago was a total joint replacement. I never suffered any nerve damage as a result of any of those surgeries. And, I'm not the Shah of Iran, but I sometimes play one on the Intarwebs.

For the record, I've had five shoulder surgeries - three on the left and two on the right. The last one ten years ago was a total joint replacement. I never suffered any nerve damage as a result of any of those surgeries. And, I'm not the Shah of Iran, but I sometimes play one on the Intarwebs.

So you're saying Lawson will not only have to get surgery again later in his career but now his other shoulder is messed up too?