RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Im not gonna argue that.....

Its unfortunate

Its a setback for the team and for the player

BUT CONSIDER

- There are those that are spinning it as pretty much the end of the world.....you cant argue that

- What if what Shaq said is true and he really has been playing at 70 percent his college career........does that mean we are getting the next great edge rusher?

and last but not least.....I think people need to remember that a. The bills were considering Ragland with that 19th pick (and got him anyway) and with what was left on the board......it still might end up being a great pick?

It clearly goes both ways, agreed. But hammering one side while pretending the other isn't also all over this topic is a little unfair.

The point was that there's been far more than spinning this as "not the end of the world," as K-9 claims.

That is not what I'm claiming.

I'm claiming that some people don't know the difference between "not good" and "end of the world."

If you can point me to anyone who has tried to put a good spin on this, I'd be interested. Certainly, you can't expect the organization to wrap it in the same level of hysteria as the media and fans? It's a tough break, nothing more. They have moved on, so should the fans.

GO BILLS!!!

I used to be the biggest homer ever but this offseason has gotten silly. Mario, who was beloved here after 2014, is suddenly the worst player in team history. So we spend a very valuable 1st round pick to replace a 2nd team all pro DE, and he has surgery. I hope Lawson has a full recovery and turns out to be a stud. But man, it looks really bad right now.

I haven't seen this. What i have seen is people bashing Mario for openly quitting on the team last year. I get it. He red shirted last year. He knew he was leaving and protected himself. It doesn't make him the worst player but it does make him a pretty bad team mate. It also gives him some not so pleasant labels such as selfish, quitter, etc... As I have stated elsewhere, his contract tells you what the league thinks of him. Getting 8 million is a pittance for him and if he had bucked up and played hard last year he would have seen much more. He isn't the worst player in team history and I would challenge you to find multiple posts that have stated that. He quit and is reviled. Same as Marrone, same as Peters, same as Mularkey.

I'm still excited for Shaq. Even if he misses a few games I am excited to see what he does for the team over the next 4 years. The next 4 years that will cost the Bills less than just one more season of Mario would have cost. If Mario stays then Cordy and Richie are gone and the o line is in shambles. There was no easy way to keep Mario. It just sucks that he performed as he did on the way out the door. Part of me can't blame the guy but he showed some ugly sides of himself with his action (or inaction) last year.

That is not what I'm claiming.

I'm claiming that some people don't know the difference between "not good" and "end of the world."

If you can point me to anyone who has tried to put a good spin on this, I'd be interested. Certainly, you can't expect the organization to wrap it in the same level of hysteria as the media and fans? It's a tough break, nothing more. They have moved on, so should the fans.

GO BILLS!!!

Just like there are people who cannot for the life of them admit that something is "not good." There will always be folks making mountains out of molehills, just like there will also be folks trying to get in front of the story and narrative. How many pages do you think it took for some of the "usual suspects" to even say that this was bad news? Start on page 37 and count. It will be awhile.

Here's a good spin. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/186213-rd-1-pick-19-de-shaq-lawson-clemson-university/?p=3949991

Edited by FireChan

Just like there are people who cannot for the life of them admit that something is "not good." There will always be folks making mountains out of molehills, just like there will also be folks trying to get in front of the story and narrative. How many pages do you think it took for some of the "usual suspects" to even say that this was bad news? Start on page 37 and count. It will be awhile.

Here's a good spin. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/186213-rd-1-pick-19-de-shaq-lawson-clemson-university/?p=3949991

I don't see a "good" spin in that post at all. More like simple reality.

As I suspected, there are those who see the lack of anything negative as "good" spin. If others don't rise to the same level of outrage, it's a "good" spin.

There are mature ways of dealing with bad news. But if you'd rather join those that wallow in it instead of moving on, feel free. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want the organization to do that, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey....that is MY post.

I am not sure how that can be spun that it is a good thing that he is hurt....I even went on to point out that another vet player to platoon would be a good idea for the team.

You do realize that that pointing out the positives of a 100 percent healthy player (eventually) is not the same thing as liking that he isnt available to the team right now and healthy?

Just because someone refuses to wallow in the misery of the doomed crowd doesnt mean we cant point out possible eventual positive things?

I don't see a "good" spin in that post at all. More like simple reality.

As I suspected, there are those who see the lack of anything negative as "good" spin. If others don't rise to the same level of outrage, it's a "good" spin.

There are mature ways of dealing with bad news. But if you'd rather join those that wallow in it instead of moving on, feel free. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want the organization to do that, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't rise to the same level of "outrage?" How about being frank? How about 1 post, just 1 single post about our first round pick missing games being less than ideal? Are you still counting? I know I am.

You don't see the "good" spin in the post saying that Shaq missing games for surgery is good because he could be a better player? Good god man. It's a "simple reality?" How about the "simple reality" that the surgery could !@#$ up Shaq's shoulder for life and make him more ineffective. That's a simple reality too, you know. Just one that gets you labeled a "hater" or whatever nonsense is hot in the streets. Is it equally likely? Probably not. Could it happen? Sure.

Continue to draw battle lines if you'd like. Continue to ignore the PR campaign waged in TBD topics. It doesn't bother me, nor am I wallowing in anything. It is what it is. Certain posters refuse to give any negative ground. You aren't one of them, but they certainly exist.

He will miss more then 5-6 games.

Throw in an "I think" or "in my experience" into stuff like this.

If he misses 7 you still can proclaim yourself to be a genius. If he misses 3 maybe only 1/3 of the board will rub your nose in it.

The bills were considering Ragland with that 19th pick (and got him anyway) and with what was left on the board......it still might end up being a great pick?

Wow, I'm surprised at how low your expectations have fallen.

They have moved on, so should the fans.

What should we talk about tomorrow? (real question)

Throw in an "I think" or "in my experience" into stuff like this.

If he misses 7 you still can proclaim yourself to be a genius. If he misses 3 maybe only 1/3 of the board will rub your nose in it.

Wow, I'm surprised at how low your expectations have fallen.

Beer

So who would you rather have had at the 19th pick?

The last person I asked this.....complained for a week that Rex Ryan spent too much time with Clemson players.....then when asked who we should have taken said "Shaq Lawson"

Arguing with yourself ? It's official birddog is the new duckdog.

Get it together man.

The shoulder bone is connected to the spleen bone.

The spleen bone is connected to the ankle bone.

The ankle bone is connected to the head bone.

Now hear the word of the birdbrain.

Beer

So who would you rather have had at the 19th pick?

The last person I asked this.....complained for a week that Rex Ryan spent too much time with Clemson players.....then when asked who we should have taken said "Shaq Lawson"

I'm surprised that your expectations for Lawson have lowered so much. I'm not promoting anyone, but your lowered expectations are not in character for you.

I'm surprised that your expectations for Lawson have lowered so much. I'm not promoting anyone, but your lowered expectations are not in character for you.

OK I am confused (which is really not that hard to do nowadays)

I dont have lowered expectations of Shaq Lawson......when Shaq gets back and up to speed I am hoping for a eventual pro bowl player who sets the edge for the run and has a nice combo of speed and power in the pass rush.

Those are pretty lofty expectations

Don't rise to the same level of "outrage?" How about being frank? How about 1 post, just 1 single post about our first round pick missing games being less than ideal? Are you still counting? I know I am.

You don't see the "good" spin in the post saying that Shaq missing games for surgery is good because he could be a better player? Good god man. It's a "simple reality?" How about the "simple reality" that the surgery could !@#$ up Shaq's shoulder for life and make him more ineffective. That's a simple reality too, you know. Just one that gets you labeled a "hater" or whatever nonsense is hot in the streets. Is it equally likely? Probably not. Could it happen? Sure.

Continue to draw battle lines if you'd like. Continue to ignore the PR campaign waged in TBD topics. It doesn't bother me, nor am I wallowing in anything. It is what it is. Certain posters refuse to give any negative ground. You aren't one of them, but they certainly exist.

Any player, especially first round picks that miss games, sucks. Of course it's less than ideal. I think everyone agrees with that.

And no, I don't see the "good" spin in a post that deals with the rehab aspect of his surgery. Again, that is a look at the simple reaity of it.

Drawing battle lines? You must be confusing me with someone else. None of this crap is that important.

Something else. (real answer)

Edited by K-9

Any player, especially first round picks that miss games, sucks. Of course it's less than ideal. I think everyone agrees with that.

And no, I don't see the "good" spin in a post that deals with the rehab aspect of his surgery. Again, that is a look at the simple reaity of it.

Drawing battle lines? You must be confusing me with someone else. None of this crap is that important.

Something else. (real answer)

Nah dude, because he'll come back better than ever. It doesn't suck at all.

Even if it did suck, which it doesn't, with us paying attention to reality and all, some would never admit it.

Edited by FireChan