RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

I wasn't arguing the point, just trying to clarify that the writer didn't say that last season was an anomaly for Rex.

Ryan showed me who he was last season when he was unable or unwilling to work with the defensive talent in place. The best coaches mold their systems to their players. He can't/won't. So we wound up a lot of players who didn't fit the scheme, many of whom were way overpaid for what they were asked to do. Some of them are gone, but not all of them. Now we just used virtually a whole draft to help get players who fit Rex's scheme and, as a result, totally neglected adding some desperately needed offensive help. Last season, when I realized what was going on, I predicted that Rex would last just long enough here to dismantle the impressive, attacking defense that was in place. That we'd wind up with some expensive leftovers from that defense mixed with his more passive and complicated style of players. In short, that the defense will be a mess for the next coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong, but I still think this is where it's heading.

I'm not so sure that this is an accurate statement. I would suggest that coaches get players that fit their system. Last year they didn't do that and it showed.

I remember Ryan SAYING that he was going to add in some of the previously used concepts, but I saw no proof that it ever happened beyond lip service.

Look harder:

Screen_Shot_2016_05_17_at_14_13_59.png

Wide-9, right there for you... 3rd play on defense of the season.

Why let facts get in the way of the nattering nabob's negative narrative?

If that is true, then explain why Ryan attempted to incorporate some of Schwartz's concepts in the Bills D in 2015? People just keep repeating the same lies as facts. Here we go again with the usual suspect spewing untruths.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but IMO Rex incorporating some of Schwartz's concepts is not the same as Rex matching his D to the strengths of the players. Part of what made the D effective for Schwartz was simple play calls with minimal options, enabling them to react quickly and play fast. Putting in a Schwartz formation occasionally as part of a complex defensive plan with complex terminology and multiple substitutions before the snap is the "fit the scheme to the players" equivalent of putting chicken in a lemon chiffon pie to claim you're serving a healthy dessert. I suppose it adds nourishment, but it's not really a substantive effort at "clean eating"

At the time of the draft, had the Bills said Lawson was going to immediately get surgery, would that make this easier for some of you?

Yes. It's the contrast between Whaley happily lauding our draft as providing 3 day one starters, and the news that now one of them will miss significant time (whatever that time window is, Day 1 seems to be off the table) that's heartbreaking to me. It's mutter mutter mutter Bills can't have nice things mutter one more damn year. And I'm generally of a positive bent.

Is there a live feed of the surgery? I really think we are entitled to witness the surgery and the extent of his injury so we can make a final determination on the incompetence of our front office.

The Bills have it streamed on periscope on Twitter.

Your right. It's not a bad look when they are ecstatic to the press announcing they got 3 day 1 starter and no more then a week later their first round pick is under the knife due to miss at least the first 5 games.

They are either incompetent or lied about the whole thing and knew this surgery would happen now.

You are funny and such an extremist! I post for the 3rd time that Shaq missed zero games at Clemson and they thought he could play the 2016 season based upon his history and the medical reports. He could have played through it, but why do that with the problem popping up at rookie camp last week.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

They are either incompetent or lied about the whole thing and knew this surgery would happen now.

Rest assured, that's the way the rest of the world (outside TSW) sees it, too. But in here, it's no big deal, just part of the master plan. If he wasn't injured, we never would have had the opportunity to draft such an amazing player. And don't ever forget: No one has a crystal ball.

Your right. It's not a bad look when they are ecstatic to the press announcing they got 3 day 1 starter and no more then a week later their first round pick is under the knife due to miss at least the first 5 games.

Not necessarily. Lawson obviously has had this issue throughout college and he still excelled. The Bills figured he could play his rookie season and have surgery as soon as the season ended. However after it showed itself to be a problem during practice, they decided it would be better to get the surgery done now. I'm guessing that if it didn't show itself during minicamp they wouldn't have gone ahead with surgery and I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that Lawson didn't feel he needed surgery but the Bills talked him into it.

I'll wait to see what the surgery shows and what his timetable for return looks like. A shoulder isn't nearly as bad as a lower body injury and he could end up being better after the surgery.

In the "looking for a silver lining" category -- there's less of a chance for Lawson to hit the rookie wall this season and he should be at full strength for the <gasp> playoff run.

Not necessarily. Lawson obviously has had this issue throughout college and he still excelled. The Bills figured he could play his rookie season and have surgery as soon as the season ended. However after it showed itself to be a problem during practice, they decided it would be better to get the surgery done now. I'm guessing that if it didn't show itself during minicamp they wouldn't have gone ahead with surgery and I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that Lawson didn't feel he needed surgery but the Bills talked him into it.

I'll wait to see what the surgery shows and what his timetable for return looks like. A shoulder isn't nearly as bad as a lower body injury and he could end up being better after the surgery.

Thank you for your optimistic view of things but you have no place here in the House that Flutie Built. Be gone with you.

not sure if anyone has posted it and not skimming tooooo far....

schefter saying it was aggravated doing a swim move in a drill last week.

id guess with no brace (no pads) it was a little more prone to acting up and when it did they decided to err on the side of caution.

This is worse than the Maybin pick. At least Mayhem was ready to start the season and get on the field. No team has gotten less out of a first rounder since the Celtics selected Len Bias second overall.

not true. maybin was not at all ready. he missed the entire portion of training camp in Rochester before finally signing his contract with about 2 weeks left before the season opener.

he was completely under-prepared once that happened and hardly got on the field.

just because he was physically ready, didn't mean he was ready to play.

jw

not true. maybin was not at all ready. he missed the entire portion of training camp in Rochester before finally signing his contract with about 2 weeks left before the season opener.

he was completely under-prepared once that happened and hardly got on the field.

just because he was physically ready, didn't mean he was ready to play.

jw

jw, I'm curious -- do you believe there's a problem with the Bills' medical staff, or was the Lawson thing just bad luck (i.e., hurt it in non-contact practice while not wearing brace)?