I think Bills are planning a move up in the draft

Give up Tyrod, swap 1sts, give up our 2nd, and give up a 3rd next year to move up for an unproven rookie QB? I don't think I like this.

That is a horrible trade, why step back again (losing a QB who shows considerable upside) to take an unproven rookie, while at the same time giving up a 1st and 2nd this year (and a third next year). Our next pick would be well after the LB spot can be reasonably addressed. It looks like a desperation move, Taylor is fine, give him his payday or tag him and work it out the following year.

In the proposed scenario, Cleveland ends up with the lions share of picks, and Denver gives up a first and an unamed player, we give up 3 picks for a player who has not even played a down. I like the fact that Taylor had 4 years to watch the game before he was inserted, 3 years from now we will be looking for a new QB and saying a qb should be brought in to watch/learn the first 2-3 years.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have to look past the draft value and into each team's respective situations. Trading Tyrod for the 2nd overall pick would leave us with a rookie qb at the very least or Manuel. The Browns, assuming they have faith in Griffin, would have 2 first rounds (19th and 31st) and a 2nd round pick, and a extra player from Denver to build around Griffin. Denver would be trading much more than I think they'd ever want to for Taylor not to mention a player, so yeah they'd be getting hosed.

If the Bills loved a QB that was available at 2, then it's a great deal for them. Everyone is always so focused on "this year", but good teams build for the long haul. Cleveland probably comes out okay if they get a good player from Denver, but I don't think they are putting a lot of eggs into the RG3 basket. We're on the same page with Denver. This would be a ridiculously bad trade for them. They give up their first two picks and a player for Taylor, a QB who is not fully proven and is in the last year of his deal. And, no, a new contract couldn't be worked out in advance because this would have to be a trade when Cleveland was on the clock.

If the Bills loved a QB that was available at 2, then it's a great deal for them. Everyone is always so focused on "this year", but good teams build for the long haul. Cleveland probably comes out okay if they get a good player from Denver, but I don't think they are putting a lot of eggs into the RG3 basket. We're on the same page with Denver. This would be a ridiculously bad trade for them. They give up their first two picks and a player for Taylor, a QB who is not fully proven and is in the last year of his deal. And, no, a new contract couldn't be worked out in advance because this would have to be a trade when Cleveland was on the clock.

I can't believe you are trying to make sense of a fake story.

I think that it makes a ton of sense for Denver and Cleveland.

-Denver gets an upgrade at the QB position coming off a Super Bowl title. They would instantly be contenders.

-Between Cleveland's picks and the ones they'd acquire you are probably looking at 7 new starters!!

-The Bills give up way too much for Wentz (presumably). The ONLY way this rumor would make any sense is if they are SURE that Tyrod isn't going to be the guy. I can't imagine that to be the case.

I am hoping something like this goes down on draft day for the Bills. The Rams also have two second round picks. I am hoping Lynch slides to us at 19 and our phones ring off the hook

Yep, trade back, get more cheap and young guys. More picks!

I don't think we will trade into the top 5, but if Goff or Wentz slips past the 49ers at 7 I think there is a chance Whaley makes a couple of calls.

My preference is to slide back a few spots in the first and then come up in the 2nd or 3rd if one of the second wave of QBs we like is still there. I've already said that if we stand pat at #19 and pick as normal in the 2nd and 3rd and then a couple of picks later Jones is still on the board I'd look to move up back into the third ahead of Arizona and pick him.

First, let me say that I don't buy what is presented in the article. For one thing the premise is simply wrong: the Bills control Taylor's whereabouts for the next 2 seasons, as he is under contract this year and they could franchise him next year if he plays at a high level in 2016. Honestly, if he plays at such a level, they will likely be all in favor of giving him the big contract he wants after this season. Tyrod's presence, in fact, buys them plenty of flexibility at the QB position -- as they could roll the dice with a high upside QB in the draft who may not be a 1st rounder because he is not NFL-ready for a year or two.

Now, lets hypothetically assume for a moment that the trade possibility is true. In essence, what the Bills would be doing is trading a 2nd, future 3rd and Tyrod to move from 19 to 2. We have seen what the price tag has been for some teams to merely move up a couple of spots in the draft -- remember that Washington gave up multiple first rounders to just move from 6 to 2. So the compensation is actually VERY reasonable to make this move.

But here is the problem.

If this were a team all set everywhere except the one glaring hole -- OK. Or if this was year one of a new regime, where the coach and GM wanted to trade the farm to get their guy at QB, OK. But that is not the case here. Rex and Doug are on a short leash to make it to the playoffs. They need all the impact players they can find in the draft to bolster the front 7 and offensive line. That doesn't happen with the first round pick gone for a rookie QB and no 2nd round pick at all. It also puts the team in the position of starting either a rookie or EJ Manuel at QB.

So it is HIGHLY unlikely that either Rex or Doug would be on board with such a trade.

I guess the only way it makes sense for the Bills is if they don't think Tyrod is worth $15-20 million per season, which he is going to want.

That's a little different from not thinking he can play.

If you force him to play for $3 million this season he is going to want to make up that lost $$ next offseason when he hits free agency. At that point you can franchise him for an enormous sum or get him to agree to a long-term deal for big-time $$. Either way, he is getting paid like a top 5 QB next offseason if he is here.

That could be the calculus.