I think Bills are planning a move up in the draft

Can you pick a QB at #1 and have him sit?

That'd be new.

Inspired strategy but you know it'd set both OBD and TBD ablaze.

IDK, the last decent Cal QB to come out sat for years prior to becoming one of the league's best.

Two things though, and while I don't necessarily buy in to the thus far not formally stated notion that either Whaley or Wrecks are gone following the season if we don't make the playoffs, and while IMO neither should be here now, sitting or not, I just don't see us making the playoffs. It's wise to expect a below-average D and a slightly-better-than-average-at-best offense.

Taylor, and I'm a fan of his, simply hasn't made the types of throws that top NFL QBs make. He also did not improve as the season wore on, he got slightly worse statistically.

If we enter this season with just Taylor we may very well regret it. IMO unless Taylor comes out of the gates swinging to unclearly be our new franchise QB, if we had Goff on the roster he would be playing by week five or six. The new rules favoring the passing game have made the transition for QBs into the NFL much easier than it used to be.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone in the beginning of the draft that DW is enamored with?

And how would we know?

DW's HC complained about thin depth. Clearly DW has taken the issue to heart this offseason but I don't think the project is complete.

It's pure speculation, but I don't think Whaley will want to give up picks to move up in the draft.

every time I see DW I think Daryl Waltrip. This confuses me.

For fun, I took a look at this draft value chart: http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

I noticed that our first round pick (pick 19) is essentially equal to Denver's first (pick 31) and second (pick 63) picks.

If we did something like that, we would have picks 31, 49, and 63 (in addition to our other picks).

One question, what's our history on Whaley's watch over the last six drafts for picks 49th and after?

There have been 36 of them?

After having done that research, what would you rather have, Goff, or those picks?

Whoa! John Miller and Karlos Williams last year. Preston Brown and Seantrel Henderson the year before. I'd say that's pretty good once Nix left the building. 40% hit rate on 3rd and later picks seems like its knocking it out of the park to me.

OK

Neither has proven that they can even stay healthy. If you think that Miller is good we'll simply have to agree to disagree.

As with Williams, seriously?, he's another player that's been more hype than solid. He had two good games, both played in Florida where he's from. He was horrible in six games and missed most of the rest.

Against anyone but the Fins he had 72 carries for 297 yards, an avg. of a very pedestrian 4.1, and 3 rushing TDs in 9 other games. He missed the rest.

So it would seem that unless we play Miami he's really not very good. We only have two Miami games. Factor in that he was injury prone, along with Miller, and that's one of the differences on why some people support Whaley and some don't. We're not going to become a top team by drafting the likes of Miller and Williams.

IDK, the last decent Cal QB to come out sat for years prior to becoming one of the league's best.

Two things though, and while I don't necessarily buy in to the thus far not formally stated notion that either Whaley or Wrecks are gone following the season if we don't make the playoffs, and while IMO neither should be here now, sitting or not, I just don't see us making the playoffs. It's wise to expect a below-average D and a slightly-better-than-average-at-best offense.

Taylor, and I'm a fan of his, simply hasn't made the types of throws that top NFL QBs make. He also did not improve as the season wore on, he got slightly worse statistically.

If we enter this season with just Taylor we may very well regret it. IMO unless Taylor comes out of the gates swinging to unclearly be our new franchise QB, if we had Goff on the roster he would be playing by week five or six. The new rules favoring the passing game have made the transition for QBs into the NFL much easier than it used to be.

I meant literally sitting the #1 draft pick on the bench behind Taylor. Rodgers was a late 1st round pick but not picked first overall.

I can't remember the last time the overall #1 didn't start the season they were drafted.

Edited by dpberr

One question, what's our history on Whaley's watch over the last six drafts for picks 49th and after?

After having done that research, what would you rather have, Goff, or those picks?

OK

Neither has proven that they can even stay healthy. If you think that Miller is good we'll simply have to agree to disagree.

As with Williams, seriously?, he's another player that's been more hype than solid. He had two good games, both played in Florida where he's from. He was horrible in six games and missed most of the rest.

Against anyone but the Fins he had 72 carries for 297 yards, an avg. of a very pedestrian 4.1, and 3 rushing TDs in 9 other games. He missed the rest.

So it would seem that unless we play Miami he's really not very good. We only have two Miami games. Factor in that he was injury prone, along with Miller, and that's one of the differences on why some people support Whaley and some don't. We're not going to become a top team by drafting the likes of Miller and Williams.

That is some dextrous cherry picking there -- "if you take out his two best games and ignore all his receiving stats, the fifth-round rookie had an average year." Also interesting that we played both games against Miami "in Florida" -- we might want to take that up with the schedule-maker as that seems a tad unfair. He also had four rushing TDs in the remaining games, fwiw.

And let's give a rookie guard maybe more than a year to decide whether he's good.

Maybe not first round but somewhere. They have signed a bunch of veteran backups and special teams guys. They have extra picks. If they use them all there will be late round draft picks that will be at risk of not making the team because of the vets they just signed.

I think they move up in second round and take a WR or QB and then move up again and get the FSU kicker in the third.

Other scenario is they give picks away this year for higher picks next year.

I think that the Bills will look to move down in the draft. Maybe not first round but somewhere. They have signed a bunch of veteran backups and special team guys who are not locks to make the roster. If they get extra picks they use them to bring in quality players who compete for starting roles.

The first round pick is critical, if for no other reason than they are bound by their rookie contract for a longer period than the subsequent rounds. So, if you hit big, the rookie wage scale is in play one year longer. And, the later you pick in the first, the less money it takes to bind the draft choice.

Not a big fan of trading up in the draft, but if ever there was a shot at a poke-n-hope I'd trade up, in Watkins type fashion, for Goff.

I'm not one that buys into the notion Whaley and/or Wrecks will be gone after this season if they don't make the playoffs, so who knows what's really driving things, but if that's true, that they're history if we don't make the playoffs, they'll have to make any inroad via offense.

Not that a rookie QB is going to be all that, but if he offers enough hope after a rookie season then it may cause Pegs to yield a stay of execution for them.

Might not be bad for the team either since Whaley's been horrid at 3rd and later picks anyway in six seasons.

Otherwise, moving up but not into the 1st isn't going to do anything for us. I'd expect them to go WR in round 1 where some good ones will be available at 19th.

If it is true that Whaley and Wrecks are on a very short one-season leash, then trading down for them would be a mistake. Also, with who-knows-who as the next coach, it doesn't necessarily even make any long-term sense. So for that reason, on a one-time basis, I'd be among those suggesting that at trade up to land Goff would be a good move.

To each his own, but honestly, the statement about "Whaley's been horrid at 3rd and later picks"....might be a bit off, IMO. John Miller and Karlos Williams (3rd and 5th rounds) last year, Preston Brown - 3rd rounder, Sentreal Henderson 7th rounder....and I'm not sure where the "six seasons" is coming into play either, since he's only been the GM for the 2014 and 2015 Draft thus far....

OK

You mean in their WHOLE FIRST YEAR

What hype exactly are you referring to......a late round pick who is a converted safety? Who happens to come in and fall just 1 TD short of the record for rookie RB's? Or is it the fact that he seems to be the perfect Thunder to McCoy's lightening.

Cherry pick time

It would seem that it was his first year so its a little difficult to know anything at all.....

I think I would lose it if the Bills traded Taylor, there 1st, there 2nd and a third for either Wentz or Goff. Don't believe this.

My son just sent me this. I'm not buying it, but making it up is cruel, not funny. A Brown's fans fantasy maybe.

Edited by Augie

Rather trade down. If Denver wants to move up to #19 from #31, give me 31 and 63 and call it a day. Thats 3 likely starters, you could plug OLB/DL/WR/RT by the end of round 3...yes please.

Give up Tyrod, swap 1sts, give up our 2nd, and give up a 3rd next year to move up for an unproven rookie QB? I don't think I like this.

This board would finally break the bonds of the Mario Williams threads into a new unknown.

It'd make DF/RJ threads look like a calm, reasoned, discussion on the finer points of mulch colors for the lawn.

Edited by dpberr